Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old August 28, 2018, 00:04   #1
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
First Responders please read

It has come to my attention that both ATT and Verizon have a program:

When there's a large demand on cell towers and we are "registered" our communications will be given priority.

Example: if I were to go crazy and go to a football game is be one of the few able to use my phone.

We are going to have to have them out to a FD meeting and listen to the spiel, and since we are a volunteer FD we will be on the personal sign up option. (There's a similar program for if the FD provides the phone.)
From the look I got its cheaper than even the First Responder discount.
(Added bonus)
(I found out the 1st Responder (not needing department ok) discount is more than the military discount BTW... 25% of the base amount (really about 10% of the monthly bill)

No obligation on the part of the FD, just an officer saying it's OK for us to sign up.

I can see both professional and prepping (personal) advantages to this, and it's not like any One who's a first responder hasn't had the background checks \is "registered" with .gov.
Old August 28, 2018, 01:37   #2
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Questions to ask: if,after a very large event happens and system crashes,will first responders be given exclusivity in cell use? Or does everybody get in as they can? I'm still seeing those in Puerto Rico standing around the tower holding phones up in the air,like it will make a difference. I could see the system being gummed up with nonsensical communications,were anyone allowed in.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018, 02:21   #3
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Questions to ask: if,after a very large event happens and system crashes,will first responders be given exclusivity in cell use? in.
Priority:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...st-responders/

https://www.firstnet.com

Last edited by Nomad, 2nd; August 28, 2018 at 02:26.
Nomad, 2nd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018, 08:50   #4
BamaFal
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5018
One of the consequences of the Oklahoma City bombing was the damage to the main telephone exchange building a couple of blocks from the Murrah building. Landlines were no longer in use. Cell phones was all that worked in the area but the demand for the limited data capabilities of the towers/system was overwhelmed.

The feds got the senior management of the ATT facility and ordered them to prioritize a list of particular cell numbers. The phone systems senior management advised that was not possible. The reply from the Feds was do it or go straight to jail for obstruction of justice. 30 minutes later the prioritize list was functional.

I learned a number of things about the local operations after event by attending a presentation, and spending time with the senior communications supervisor of the 911 system on duty that day.

The "phone" company has figured out how to make mo money with an official revenue stream.

First responders deserve the best capabilities.

NRA Life Member
BamaFal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018, 17:58   #5
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I was,for a short time,the "EC" (emergency co-ordinator)for our county in the capacity of amateur radio. Never understood why they relied so much on un-compensated amateurs for vital communications during the most strenuous of conditions,including the use of our equipment,while during times of peace and luxury,they wouldn't spend anything to make their own equipment more robust or redundant. Hospitals even relied on amateurs,when they already had their own business band equipment,with license,yet,they wouldn't practice or co-ordinate their stuff with anyone else. Amateur radio,by law,isn't supposed to be used for commercial purposes,yet they wanted to use amateur frequencies,amateur operators,and even wanted their employees to get ham licenses so they could use ham radio during emergencies,for hospital business. Always wondered...did billing get a memo to not process any invoices during or resulting from circumstances during these emergencies,using ham radio?
My feeling was,that radio was and still is your best avenue for communications,providing it is radio controlled by you and as local as possible. Cellular is radio,in a form,but too reliant upon outside help to maintain. Puerto Rico was a good example of how overly-reliant they became on cell. Hams were recruited from the States to go down there,50 if I remember right.
I imagine they finally got their cell back up down there.And they probably went straight back to the lackadaisical attitudes towards communications.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 01, 2018, 11:33   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I was an EC and a DEC for years. Reason ham radio is mandated at certain places is its the only communications the Feds consider 100% reliable. If it's raining our hospitals satellite phones won't work. Funny Watchung their people walking around on the roof during a drill if it's raining trying to get a signal. Every district has a Regional Coordinating Hospital (RCH) that brings all the smaller hospitals under its control during an emergency and allocates resources. To be an RCH which gets them a lot of Federal CA$H they must have ham radio.

Around here emcom is run by the hams. On my bug out truck when I used to activate carried a mini cell repeater that supported 20 3G phones. Would run a high gain yagi directional antenna up to 60 feet and rotate it till found a distant tower I could piggy back and suddenly all the figs phones lit up full bars. After that I layer down and took a nap as they no longer needed my services for most part. Katrina and Haiti earthquake we did have to pass a lot of H.F.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 01, 2018, 11:37   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

As a sub contractor for Ma Bell I get a discount on my phones and my account gets priority. When others are getting system busy messages I get through. My repeater works the same way, no telling how many people would get bumped off a tower if set up in edge of a zone without cell once I captured that distant tower and the FEMA folks kept a log so didn't overwhelm my machine but used it to its max.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old September 02, 2018, 17:39   #8
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
Verizon throttled back data connections to CAL FIre during our states biggest fire.
Old September 05, 2018, 10:56   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGB808 View Post
Verizon throttled back data connections to CAL FIre during our states biggest fire.
Verizon sucks. I keep a Verizon phone as a backup to my Ma Bells which have two most days. Have burn phones from three providers, all paid for with cash out of state, refill cards are bought out of state with cash, only powered up if need, never use to call anyone in my personal or business cell phones call list and never power up in my home town and try not to use in a manner that creates a footprint. Don't even buy refill cards for two phones at one location.

My best and cleanest phone finally had to be replaced when Ma Bell and others dropped 2G support. Will get a fair amount of time out of the pair of 3G burn phones and recently replaced the 2G with a 4G. What makes it hard is have to use the phone on occasion even if do not need and add minutes even if don't need them. Go a year without adding minutes and they have to be reactivated which requires a call to a tech rep. Have a special Faraday box to run occasional discharge charge cycles, if just leave off all the time and top off battery without turning on occasionally the batteries don't last as long.

When going someplace out of my ordinary places will turn off my daily use phones and while in place would never be on purpose turn one on and possibly call an 800 number so carrier keeps them registered on system but never do more than one at a time or area. Have about a dozen friends that do the same, all have one of each others burn numbers and under certain circumstances or an annual test a call around is done till person who started that drill gets a call from the person last person in chain who becomes first in chain next drill. At most three or four people could get linked.

When we talk use a Bluetooth headset/earpiece voice modulator with good noise cancelling to reduce transmission of background noise and not a voice modulator app as all apps have some kind of code to track or identify it's users. Paranoid, yes but outside of ham radio gives us the ability to quickly share information during an emergency that would be of 9/11 or worse situation quickly and be anonymous if say something that starts the recorders and back traces happening. If muzzies are going to do it, we are too but much better as not overly greedy enough for numbers to become on the interest list.

Yes, I am paranoid. All my ham radios and scanners have record capability and voice modulation to modify voice if world goes sideways from a Hitlary type coup to take over The Hill. Even keep very narrow beam antennas to bounce signals off repeaters so standard fox hunting equipment is unlikely to discover source of transmission into the repeaters. Most evenings can even open the 2 meter local repeaters in NYC and Boston using "grey line" for about 20 minutes right at sunset. Have a directional 2 meter rig that's set up for NBEMS digital mode and can check into the digital net that's run out of Charleston. From north Georgia to Charleston using VHF straight line without grey line or Earth-Moon-Earth is a job

Was one of the stations in a test for FEMA where we sent a set of x-rays, MRI scans and medical records via digital mode using HF NVIS rigs. FEMA was running a training exercise with their Region 4 SMAT medical team and once had their field hospital set up their operator sent me a set of full medical records with x-rays and MRI where I added a mock radiology interpretation with notes and sent the package back with additions. Built a 1/4 wave 80 meter NVIS dipole just for that event and it is still used and covers the from Ohio to the Caribbean even into steep valleys like an umbrella covering the southeast. Communications fascinate me.
Old September 14, 2018, 05:58   #10
Obezyana
Registered

FALaholic #: 78648
Forget Verizon and their expenses. Go pagepluscellular pay a lot less and buy eBay phones. Save money and use it for guns
Obezyana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 10:19   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Was in local A,T&T store this week and no offer 25% off most plans for first responders. Also bumps your numbers into priority que.