The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old August 06, 2008, 22:55   #101
spatin
Likes FALs

FALaholic #: 17469
Dill pickles is something I want to try this year. I have my garden out there and it looks like I am going to have a bumper crop of cucumbers this year. Last year's pickles were duds, too soft.

Anyone have a good way to make good crunchy dill pickles?

I have fresh dill growing in the garden, actually right next to the pickling cucumbers.

Sidney
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual ... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, ... or "taken care of."
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp
http://www.a-human-right.com/effective.html

“Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” - Benjamin Franklin

Donations are gratefully accepted.
spatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 06, 2008, 23:53   #102
Ak_guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 777
Quote:
Originally posted by spatin
Dill pickles is something I want to try this year. I have my garden out there and it looks like I am going to have a bumper crop of cucumbers this year. Last year's pickles were duds, too soft.

Anyone have a good way to make good crunchy dill pickles?

I have fresh dill growing in the garden, actually right next to the pickling cucumbers.

Sidney

Soak them in Pickling Lime. Buy a container of it and follow the directions...it works.
Ak_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 09, 2008, 00:28   #103
olsarg
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 9625
For crispy pickles we put a hand full of grape leaves in the pickling solution before we heat it then take them out before putting in the jars. I think it is better than alum. We like them. Also watch your cooking time. Overcooking makes the pickles soft and mushy.

Last edited by olsarg; August 09, 2008 at 00:35.
olsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2008, 17:17   #104
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
I am in the midst of firing up the pressure canner for my first batch of yellow banana peppers (many of which I let go a while and they turned red..they've got some heat ) and have a few quesitons:

1. I forgot to stir the peppers after I added the boiling water but I'm thinking there weren't any air bubbles to work out. Is this likely and if I missed them, is it something to be worried about? The recipe calls for 1 in of headspace, which I did.

2. The "recipe" I had was just from the book for my Presto canner. No seasoning, etc... just boiling water over the peppers. Is this sufficient and any tips for next year to improve them?

3. How do I test the seal? turn them upside down AFTER they have cooled?

4. If I wanted to do 20 pints instead of 10, is there some kind of tray or stacking shelf I need or can I just set the jars on top of one another? (Currently, I need to invest in one of those jar "grabbers" for picking them up)

5. Is there any advantage to wide mouth jars other than access?

6. When you do meat, are quarts good? Do you opt for pints due to processing volume? How many lbs of meat (venison or chicken strips) fit in a quart jar (about two?)

Thanks to all, especially you Jerrymrc

RJ
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2008, 18:32   #105
jerrymrc
Registered

FALaholic #: 2331
Quote:
Originally posted by rowjimmy
I am in the midst of firing up the pressure canner for my first batch of yellow banana peppers (many of which I let go a while and they turned red..they've got some heat ) and have a few quesitons:

1. I forgot to stir the peppers after I added the boiling water but I'm thinking there weren't any air bubbles to work out. Is this likely and if I missed them, is it something to be worried about? The recipe calls for 1 in of headspace, which I did.

2. The "recipe" I had was just from the book for my Presto canner. No seasoning, etc... just boiling water over the peppers. Is this sufficient and any tips for next year to improve them?

3. How do I test the seal? turn them upside down AFTER they have cooled?

4. If I wanted to do 20 pints instead of 10, is there some kind of tray or stacking shelf I need or can I just set the jars on top of one another? (Currently, I need to invest in one of those jar "grabbers" for picking them up)

5. Is there any advantage to wide mouth jars other than access?

6. When you do meat, are quarts good? Do you opt for pints due to processing volume? How many lbs of meat (venison or chicken strips) fit in a quart jar (about two?)

Thanks to all, especially you Jerrymrc

RJ
1. No.

2. For peppers I would just leave them plain. I have played with some combos like green beans and onions but peppers are normally added to something else.

3. push down on the seal. If it pops down you do not have a seal. You should have heard them all go "tink", tink, tink.............tink as they cooled.

4. You can use a shelf ( I need to make one) but if you do stack it needs to be full otherwise the jars will tip over (ask me how I know)

5. no and the std size lids are cheaper.

6. How many people ya cooking for? Cubed pork/beef/venison in a pint jar is about 3 good servings as it will cook down a little. I only add 2-3 Tbs of liquid for this. Turkey and chicken I cover in liquid. A Qt of chicken or turkey is allot of meat (ask Spatin) and is good for groups. I have one Qt of turkey left out of 8-9 Qts I canned last year and I think I reduced 2-21lb turkeys to 8-9 qts This year I will do pints as there was just too much meat for just 2-3 people. I made Turkey Alfredo last night because we had 6 people eating and I still had leftovers. Since we have a few more weeks before the Turkeys come on sale I think I will use the last Qt of it for turkey Tacos since they are always popular around here.

I just weighed the last turkey and I got 30 Oz of meat in a Qt.

Hope this helps.
jerrymrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2008, 19:17   #106
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Thanks Jerry, that helps quite a bit. I think I heard all the jars "tink" so I should be GTG. I never thought I'd get so giddy and excited about sometihng like canning...

RJ
Old October 12, 2008, 21:38   #107
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Thanks Jerry, that helps quite a bit. I think I heard all the jars "tink" so I should be GTG. I never thought I'd get so giddy and excited about sometihng like canning...

RJ
Your welcome. You get giddy when all you see are $3.99Lb signs and you realize that you canned 10 pints of the stuff at $1.50lb when it was on sale.
Old November 08, 2008, 09:53   #108
jerrymrc
Registered

It's Turkey time again! I picked up the first 21lb+ bird from Safeway yesterday. $6.99

Out of the 8 Qts we canned last year we have one left. Going to put it up in mostly pints this time as a Qt was too big for us.
Old November 08, 2008, 13:23   #109
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Yeah, I'm thinking about canning ours (turkey), we get a "free" one for accumulating points at our local supermarket, as per your advice. I got a couple of cases of pint jars (and some quarts). They were about $7.50/case. that seem about right?

RJ
Old November 08, 2008, 19:52   #110
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking about canning ours (turkey), we get a "free" one for accumulating points at our local supermarket, as per your advice. I got a couple of cases of pint jars (and some quarts). They were about $7.50/case. that seem about right?

RJ
That's about right. last I bought at Chinamart were $7 for pints. Unless you have a big family I would only put up a couple in quarts. A 21lb bird should get you 2 quarts and 4-5 pints of mixed meat.

It is a nice and cheap change of pace to have a turkey dinner some other time other than Thanksgiving.
Old December 03, 2008, 15:00   #111
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Alright...I've got deer and turkey to can. Couple of questions..

1. My canned peppers seemed a little mushy when I popped open a can to put in my stew. I only quartered them and tried to cut them up a little more before adding..anyway, is this fairly normal? They were yellow banana peppers if that helps.

For the venison and turkey:

2. Can I mix different cuts of meet without affecting flavor much? Light/dark, shoulder/hind quarter..or is it better to keep them seperate?

3. Just cube the pieces or slices? What size?

4. Can I just do a cold pack with raw meat and poultry in pint jars, leave an inch of headspace and cook away as per recommended time? Any easy additives to improve flavor? (Jerry, I read you mentioned a little chicken broth with the turkey.) I read somewhere its good to wipe the rims with vinegar to make sure there is no grease to inhibit the lid sealing..good idea?

As always, thanks a bunch!
Old December 03, 2008, 18:29   #112
spatin
Likes FALs

I'll defer to Jerry, but I have canned some chicken breasts and some smoked turkey, using store bought chicken broth as the liquid in the jars. We tried some of the chicken breasts some weeks ago and they were wonderful, juicy and tasty. I mixed the turkey white meat and dark meat so as to have some of each in every jar. Haven't tried that yet, but I did have some of Jerry's at the last FAL Fest and it was very good.
I also canned some of last year's deer. I defrosted it, then cut it into cube sized pieces. I put the deer meat in a couple of slow cookers for about 6 hours and then canned them in their own juice. Got 14 pints of processed deer meat. Cooked some in onions a while back and they were delicious (and I'm still here so I must have done something right).
I didn't use vinegar to wipe the rims. I just cleaned them real good with a wet towel before setting the cap seals. No problems yet, but if I think about it I'll use vinegar the next time.
Sidney
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual ... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, ... or "taken care of."
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

“Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” - Benjamin Franklin

Old December 03, 2008, 21:15   #113
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Thanks Spatin.. So, you did a cold pack on the turkey/chicken and slow cooked the venison for 6 hours? I'll check the recipe book that came with my canner again. I was hoping to just cook it while I canned it so to speak. I figured the meats juices would mix in with the water that way. Maybe use beef broth with the venison?...just pondering...I'd like it to taste good and not just be edible, but I guess a lot of that can come with seasonings after the fact.

RJ
Old December 03, 2008, 21:19   #114
spatin
Likes FALs

Not exactly.

On the chicken, I browned it a little bit in a large skillet before I put it in the jars.

On the turkey, I smoked it for about 6 hours.

On the deer, I slow cooked it for about 6 hours.

Any of the meats could have been raw packed, but I think they come out of the jar better if you get a little cooking on them before you pack them. YMMV

Sidney
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

Last edited by spatin; December 03, 2008 at 21:47.
Old December 05, 2008, 17:24   #115
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Well, I ended up slow cooking the venison about 6 to 8 hours overnight. I packed it in the broth and ended up with 17 pints. I imagine its a little overcooked but its tender and all the nutrients are thee. I'll probably try a pint in a week or so. I found I ended up with the containers about 2/3 to 3/4 full of meat even though I thought I packed them fully to the 1" headspace. My directions fo5 the cnaner said to cook/brown till rare. Anywya, thnaks for the help...i'll probably do the turkey tomorrow or Sunday.

RJ
Old December 05, 2008, 18:08   #116
spatin
Likes FALs

When you end up with the meat floating up and a space in the jar below the meat, you probably didn't pack it tight enough. Have fun with canning. I have enjoyed it, and having something to eat on the shelf that doesn't need refrigeration is pretty nice.
Sidney
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

Old December 05, 2008, 21:33   #117
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

The meat isn't floating, but the jar isn't full per se. I have another question, I used the broth from the slow cooking as a hot pack and have noticed a film of fat forming on the top of the broth in the cooled jars. Is this GTG or did I make a boo boo and it will turn rancid or is rancidity an oxidation process requiring air?

Thanks again,
RJ
Old December 07, 2008, 00:18   #118
spatin
Likes FALs

No. Don't worry about the fat circle floating at the top of the deer meat. As long as you have a good seal it will be fine. I have cooked that down and the fat just melts down into the meat and everything is delicious. Just be sure to cook it down about 15-20 minutes to make sure you kill all those little botulism cells that are waiting to ambush you.
Sidney
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

Old December 07, 2008, 09:51   #119
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
No. Don't worry about the fat circle floating at the top of the deer meat. As long as you have a good seal it will be fine. I have cooked that down and the fat just melts down into the meat and everything is delicious. Just be sure to cook it down about 15-20 minutes to make sure you kill all those little botulism cells that are waiting to ambush you.
Sidney
Thanks Sidney...you're comment has me thinking though... I thought all of the pressure cooking killed the botulinum toxin and no further cooking would be required. Basically, you could eat the food cold, right out of the jar (provided it sealed and you cooked it at pressure for the required time.) Are you just recommending that as that is how you do it or is further cooking absolutely required?

Thanks,
RJ
Old December 07, 2008, 10:41   #120
spatin
Likes FALs

I know that some people will eat it right out of the jar if it smells ok.

I don't.

The govt and university websites all recommend that low acid food (ie meats and most vegetables) be boiled or cooked to boiling temperature for at least 15 minutes (plus a minute for each 1,000 ft. above 5,000 ft.) to kill or deactivate any botulism toxin that might be in the food.

Remember that botulism is tasteless and oderless so it doesn't matter what the food smells like. It could still be in there waiting to strike you down if you don't take the proper precautions.

Read up on it at the various university and government websites on the subject.

If there was no way to cook it, I might take the chance with my own canned product because I know it was done correctly. But as long as I have a pot and a fire, I'm going to cook it as recommended.

Sidney
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

Old December 07, 2008, 18:29   #121
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies...

RJ
Old December 07, 2008, 19:24   #122
spatin
Likes FALs

As I'm writing this, I am listening to the dance of the pressure regulator on my Presto canner, as I am canning 8 pints of pork shoulder blade country style cuts. Albertsons had them for just .99 a pound, and I am just out of freezer space so they go into the jars. I'll smile when I use one of those pints to make some yummy posole in the future, or maybe something else that requires pork meat. Yum.

Thanks for the tips jerry. I cooked it for about 45 minutes in the oven to get it browned and cooked to about "rare".

Sidney
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

Old December 14, 2008, 09:51   #123
PBR Streetgang
Registered

FALaholic #: 8684
Can anyone get me a copy of the user manual for an All American 921?

--Ayn Rand

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

'You have to pinch yourself - a Marxist radical who all his life has been
mentored by, sat at the feet of, worshiped with, befriended, endorsed the
philosophy of, funded and been in turn funded, politically promoted and
supported by a nexus comprising black power anti-white racists, Jew-haters,
revolutionary Marxists, unrepentant former terrorists and Chicago mobsters,
is on the verge of becoming President of the United States. And apparently
it's considered impolite to say so.'

Last edited by PBR Streetgang; December 14, 2008 at 10:33.
PBR Streetgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2008, 12:13   #124
sniper69
Registered

FALaholic #: 9956
Quote:
Originally posted by PBR Streetgang
Can anyone get me a copy of the user manual for an All American 921?
try here https://store.wafco.com/ezMerchant/p...AAPC+Downloads which is the page you get to from https://store.wafco.com/ezmerchant/p...pe+Book+-+AAPC

"To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005
sniper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2008, 13:34   #125
sportsnut
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3817
Here is a little bit of my stash.

From left to right:

Tuna-Smoked Tuna-Chinook Salmon-Venison.

Ron W.
sportsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2008, 11:06   #126
sportsnut
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Thanks Spatin.. So, you did a cold pack on the turkey/chicken and slow cooked the venison for 6 hours? I'll check the recipe book that came with my canner again. I was hoping to just cook it while I canned it so to speak. I figured the meats juices would mix in with the water that way. Maybe use beef broth with the venison?...just pondering...I'd like it to taste good and not just be edible, but I guess a lot of that can come with seasonings after the fact.

RJ

I do my Venison cold pack with no water or broth. I add sliced jalapeño, chunks of garlic, onion, Montreal steak seasoning, pepper, and a teaspoon of salt. Turns out real good !

Ron W.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:52   #127
PBR Streetgang
Registered

FALaholic #: 8684
Just getting started. So far the ground meat has the best flavor. What are your favorite recipes to can meats? Please give specific instructions.

--Ayn Rand

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

'You have to pinch yourself - a Marxist radical who all his life has been
mentored by, sat at the feet of, worshiped with, befriended, endorsed the
philosophy of, funded and been in turn funded, politically promoted and
supported by a nexus comprising black power anti-white racists, Jew-haters,
revolutionary Marxists, unrepentant former terrorists and Chicago mobsters,
is on the verge of becoming President of the United States. And apparently
it's considered impolite to say so.'
PBR Streetgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2009, 10:43   #128
sportsnut
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by PBR Streetgang
Just getting started. So far the ground meat has the best flavor. What are your favorite recipes to can meats? Please give specific instructions.

I gave my recipe above for Venison. I also have friends that just use salt and pepper with raw packed meat, no water or broth added. It is also very tasty !

Ron W.
Old January 24, 2009, 12:43   #129
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Thanks for the tip on the venison. I cooked mine in the crock pot on low overnight and packed it in the broth that formed. It kind of looks like the jar you pictured in the photo...its should be tender to say the least. Hopefully still flavorful and not too overcooked. I'm going to try your cold-pack recipe next time I can (maybe with beef just for the heck of it.) I feel the need to add liquid, even though its not necessary in many applications. I did my turkey in chicken broth (with turkey drippings mixed in.) I'm going to have to crack open a jar of this stuff one of these days.

RJ
Old January 24, 2009, 13:53   #130
spatin
Likes FALs

I just had some of that turkey (packed in chicken broth) a few days ago, and it was delicious. Another canning success. Just don't forget to cook it before eating to kill the pathogens.
Sidney
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

Old January 25, 2009, 21:09   #131
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Hey..I need advice. I canned some peppers from this year and while they turned out OK for putting in Chili, they are very mushy. I quartered them, blanched them for about 2 minutes, and canned them for 90 min in a wet-pack as per my canners' directions. Any tips for keeping them firmer or other prep methods?

Thanks,
RJ
Old January 25, 2009, 21:47   #132
spatin
Likes FALs

No, I think the canning process takes the starch out of them. I have never seen any canned peppers that were not cooked and mushy. You could slice them up and dry them in an oven or dehydrate them. I have some very crunchy cayenne peppers that I dehydrated in my "Ronco" dehydrator and they are very dry. I can take out a few pieces and crunch them up in my fingers to put in soup, chili, gumbo or whatever.
Sidney

Quote:
Hey..I need advice. I canned some peppers from this year and while they turned out OK for putting in Chili, they are very mushy. I quartered them, blanched them for about 2 minutes, and canned them for 90 min in a wet-pack as per my canners' directions. Any tips for keeping them firmer or other prep methods?

Thanks,
RJ
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

Old February 10, 2009, 21:29   #133
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Had a pint of venison last night w/juice ove rmashed taters form dehydrated flakes...mmmm.... While I had a tinge of regret not boiling it for 15 minutes first, all is well and it was tasty.

Thanks for all the pointers I got!

RJ
Old July 01, 2009, 16:07   #134
goldenspurholderx2
Registered

FALaholic #: 18600
I just ate some bacon I canned on 7-30-08 and it was real tasty! My only complaint is that it all broke apart as I was taking it out of the can to fry it. I was using it as bits for a German potato salad, so no biggie. In the next month or so I'm gonna can some more but this time I'm going to lay it out on parchment paper, after the pre-cook, then roll the strips up into a log then put it in a wide mouth jar. We'll see if I can get actual strips out of it then. My other cans will be good for making hash or anything else where bits are used.
Old July 12, 2009, 19:43   #135
jerrymrc
Registered

And a small update. We had spaghetti tonight and used a jar of ground beef that was 2 years old. No problems with the smell or taste and so far we are still alive. I only have one small jar left from that era and am going to wait a little longer to use it.

As a side note the base for the sauce was a can of spaghetti sauce with a "use by" date of june 2008. just getting a handle on some of the life of the items.

Chicken is back on sale so it is time to can some more of that. My stock of canned meat is down in general.
Old July 12, 2009, 22:02   #136
spatin
Likes FALs

Where is chicken on sale Jerry?

I am down on FBCBs and need to can a bunch more!

Sidney
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

Old July 13, 2009, 06:38   #137
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:

Sidney
The mexican food store circle and monterey. $1.69 a lb for bonless/skinless breasts.
Old July 13, 2009, 07:45   #138
flopshot
Registered

FALaholic #: 21389
Quote:

Thanks,
RJ
you could try pickling them. we made some microwave pickles the other day that turned out very well. gonna take a shot at some peaches this week. one of the part timers here works at a research station and is hauling them in my the bushel.
Old July 13, 2009, 08:02   #139
spatin
Likes FALs

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by jerrymrc

The mexican food store circle and monterey. $1.69 a lb for bonless/skinless breasts.
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

Old July 14, 2009, 00:02   #140
spatin
Likes FALs

Got 15 "pesos" today over at the Mexican food market.
It was $1.69 a peso.
Good call. Thanks for the information.
Sidney

Quote:
Thanks.

- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

Old July 14, 2009, 17:53   #141
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Got 15 "pesos" today over at the Mexican food market.
It was $1.69 a peso.
Good call. Thanks for the information.
Sidney

Your welcome. I got 4 packages myself. About 17 pesos here. Going to can a batch tonight and tomorrow.
Old July 21, 2009, 07:42   #142
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
Quote:
Originally posted by flopshot

you could try pickling them. we made some microwave pickles the other day that turned out very well. gonna take a shot at some peaches this week. one of the part timers here works at a research station and is hauling them in my the bushel.
I pickle my peppers as well. Pretty sure I have a peck I could pickled promptly(hungarian wax).

Basically just pack them in jars and pour a boiling seasoned vinegar based brine over them.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2009, 08:13   #143
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by richbug

I pickle my peppers as well. Pretty sure I have a peck I could pickled promptly(hungarian wax).

Basically just pack them in jars and pour a boiling seasoned vinegar based brine over them.
Do you have a recipe for that brine? How long will they last that way? Need to be refrigerated I guess?
Old July 21, 2009, 10:12   #144
richbug
Registered

Quote:

Do you have a recipe for that brine? How long will they last that way? Need to be refrigerated I guess?
No refrigeration, just seal them(with rings and boiled lids) as soon as you pour the boiling brine over them.

Recipe I use:
1 tsp of diced garlic per jar

Cut up peppers as you see fit, I make rings from mine, or cut in half lengthwise. Whole peppers don't work.

Pack as many peppers as you can get into the jars while keeping 1/4" down from top.

6 cups vinegar
2 cups water
1.5 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Boil brine, pour over peppers, seal promptly(lids should draw down). Let sit at least 6 weeks before eating.
Old July 21, 2009, 10:38   #145
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by richbug

No refrigeration, just seal them(with rings and boiled lids) as soon as you pour the boiling brine over them.

Recipe I use:
1 tsp of diced garlic per jar

Cut up peppers as you see fit, I make rings from mine, or cut in half lengthwise. Whole peppers don't work.

Pack as many peppers as you can get into the jars while keeping 1/4" down from top.

6 cups vinegar
2 cups water
1.5 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Boil brine, pour over peppers, seal promptly(lids should draw down). Let sit at least 6 weeks before eating.
Thanks, I'm guessing you can make a little over 8 pints or 4 qts when you include the peppers in the jars? Also, you don't do any hot water bath or anything? Just the cooling of the boiling water is enough to seal the lids? Also, are you taking the lids out of boiling water as you seal them or is the boiling just done prior for sterilization?

Thanks again!
Old July 21, 2009, 11:44   #146
richbug
Registered

Quote:

Thanks, I'm guessing you can make a little over 8 pints or 4 qts when you include the peppers in the jars? Also, you don't do any hot water bath or anything? Just the cooling of the boiling water is enough to seal the lids? Also, are you taking the lids out of boiling water as you seal them or is the boiling just done prior for sterilization?

Thanks again!
Peppers take more brine than you would imagine( not much volume there), this will do 5-6 pints probably.

The lids are boiled just to soften the sealing compound, and to sterilize

The contraction of the brine cooling will seal them and draw down the lids.

You can process them afterwards, but that is how they get mushy.
Old July 21, 2009, 12:15   #147
goldenspurholderx2
Registered

FALaholic #: 18600
Quote:

Sidney
Not so much the chicken but if you are looking for fruits (my dehydrator has been doing overtime) check out the new store on the NW corner of Academy and Dublin, Sun Flower Markets. Last Wednesday I picked up 5lbs of bananas, 4 pineapples, 3 oranges and a pound of good bulk coffee all for under 20 bucks. The prices are comparable to COSTCO but you can buy as little or as much you want, the fruits seemed fresher too, no membership fee.

It was packed at 3pm when I went through, I'm planning on going earlier this weekend to get a better idea of what they have (I hate crowds).
Old July 21, 2009, 16:24   #148
onebigelf
Registered

FALaholic #: 32682
Quote:
Originally posted by olsarg
For deer we pack cubed meat and top the jar with a chunk of beef tallow...
Ditto. I live next to a large farm that plants feed corn and beans on a rotation. LOTS of deer and turkeys. The farmer encourages me to hunt the fence line. I have friends that hunt, but only eat limited amounts of venison. Between what I shoot, what my "wife shoots", and what my friends shoot, but don't really want I typically fill the freezers and then pressure can about 250 quarts of venison and turkey meat. I also can most of our vegetables. The only thing we buy is seafood, the occasional steak, bacon and some pork sausage (mostly we use venison sausage), specialty vegetables (asparagus for instance) or fresh vegetables outside of the local season (salad greens out of season). Our annual purchased food budget probably runs less than $1000. I do most of the canning in my workshop on an old wood stove.

John
onebigelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2009, 16:47   #149
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenspurholderx2

Not so much the chicken but if you are looking for fruits (my dehydrator has been doing overtime) check out the new store on the NW corner of Academy and Dublin, Sun Flower Markets. Last Wednesday I picked up 5lbs of bananas, 4 pineapples, 3 oranges and a pound of good bulk coffee all for under 20 bucks. The prices are comparable to COSTCO but you can buy as little or as much you want, the fruits seemed fresher too, no membership fee.

It was packed at 3pm when I went through, I'm planning on going earlier this weekend to get a better idea of what they have (I hate crowds).
I have seen there ads. The mexi store has round steak on sale this thursday for $1.69 lb so I am going to make some ground round out of it.
Old August 08, 2009, 01:09   #150
broncoo
Registered

FALaholic #: 47333
i guess this is my first reply in this forum im from BC Can.

my canning this year will be pickled green beans, pickled carrots, canned tomatoes, salsa, and possibly some canned squash soup if i get a big enough crop this year im not particularly fond of canned meats i would rather dry them salt them or smoke em if i cant have it fresh
broncoo is offline   Reply With Quote