Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old August 27, 2007, 10:20   #51
sniper69
Registered

FALaholic #: 9956
Quote:
Originally posted by spatin
Hi Group. I've been lurking around and enjoying the comments about canning and other stuff that passes on this thread.

I did a garden this year (Colorado Springs, CO) and I am "swimming" in squash and zuchinni (planted both seed packs in one 4x10 raised bed so you can imagine the forest). I got tired of eating squash, so I decided to try to can some.

I read that pressure canning squash and zuchinni just results in a yucky mess in a jar, but I do see some interesting recipes for pickling squash/zuchinni. However, most of the recipes I see have a lot of sugar in the recipe, so I suppose the end result is pretty sweet. With my blood sugar as high as it is, I try to keep the sugar content pretty low, so I was wondering if anyone here has a recipe for low sugar or no sugar pickled squash/zuchinni?

I also like things that are dill pickled, so a recipe that would result in zuchinni that tastes like crunchy dill pickles would suit me just fine!

Thanks for your comments and recipes.
Sidney
Colorado Springs, CO
That does sound like an interesting thing to do with zuchinni.
"To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005
sniper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2007, 11:02   #52
festus
Registered

FALaholic #: 7928
Quote:
Originally posted by deerollman
i too would love to start. there was a newspaper article here in urban NC recently, about people canning. apparently there is no distributor in the entire county for the supplies. maybe ebay?
Food Lion has canning stuff.
Old August 27, 2007, 12:36   #53
jerrymrc
Registered

FALaholic #: 2331
Well I put up 10 jars of salsa and 6 qts of dill pickles over the weekend. If I ever get my status back I will post some pics.
Old September 05, 2007, 18:38   #54
jerrymrc
Registered

Here is a shot of the first batch of beans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 031 (600 x 450).jpg (78.9 KB, 339 views)
Old September 05, 2007, 18:41   #55
jerrymrc
Registered

Chicken breasts were .99 a Lb this last week so I bought some. Wound up with 8 16oz jars of chicken meat for $11. Not a bad deal if you have to buy it at $3 a 13oz can at the store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 052 (600 x 450).jpg (61.4 KB, 335 views)
Old September 05, 2007, 18:42   #56
spatin
Likes FALs

FALaholic #: 17469
I see the site is back up. Guess the utilities got paid. :-)

Nice job on the beans Jerry! I only got 8 pints out of my garden (we ate the rest and I picked anothe 4 pounds this afternoon), but I have 6 pints of zuchinni pickes, 11 pints of dill pickles, and 6 pint of tomatoes, all from my own little garden.

It's a great feeling.

Sidney
spatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 05, 2007, 18:44   #57
spatin
Likes FALs

Nice! That's my next project. I have a bunch of deer meat from last season that is frozen, and I want to can it to make room for more this season.
Sidney

Quote:
Originally posted by jerrymrc
Chicken breasts were .99 a Lb this last week so I bought some. Wound up with 8 16oz jars of chicken meat for $11. Not a bad deal if you have to buy it at $3 a 13oz can at the store.
Old September 05, 2007, 19:07   #58
Deltaten
Registered

FALaholic #: 124
Grape harvest was lousy this year. Good flavor 1/3 the amount, due to hot, dry season.
I did manage to cull enuff for 4.24 qt. The second half of the batch did not jell. Not sure why??? prolly had to do with boiling over and forgetting to cook it out for the required full minute!

Anybody for grape "dipping" sauce? )

Paul
Old September 05, 2007, 19:16   #59
jerrymrc
Registered

Thats ok Paul. Put it on Ice cream. Some of the goods in the pantry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 054 (600 x 450).jpg (64.9 KB, 332 views)
Old September 05, 2007, 19:48   #60
Deltaten
Registered

FALaholic #: 124
Geeze Jerry; ya make my mouth water with pix like that! I wish *my* pantry looked that nice.

best.
Paul
Old September 06, 2007, 20:03   #61
jerrymrc
Registered

Just for you paul. Kind of a mess right now. Downstairs pantry. 40-65 year round. I turned the closet in the 4th bedroom into a storage area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 056 (600 x 450).jpg (64.1 KB, 326 views)
Old September 17, 2007, 00:58   #62
Wil-C
Registered

FALaholic #: 17357
I have a question about jars, the Classico spaghetti sauce comes in jars with 'atlas mason' cast into the glass. Are these dedicated canning jars?
If they are, what's the difference between canning jars & regular jars?
I buy the classico whenever I can & save the jars towards eventually getting started canning.
Old September 17, 2007, 06:35   #63
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Wil-C
I have a question about jars, the Classico spaghetti sauce comes in jars with 'atlas mason' cast into the glass. Are these dedicated canning jars?
I buy the classico whenever I can & save the jars towards eventually getting started canning.
I would have to look. Canning jars are thicker than commerical ones.

I get jars at garage sales and Craigslist. If I can get them for $3 a case it is a good deal. One woman wanted $7 a case for pints!!! I told her that Kroger had them on sale new with lids (worth $1) for $7. I bet she still has em.
Old September 18, 2007, 08:15   #64
sniper69
Registered

Quote:
I've used them for canning with good results. They're used to be two brands of spaghetti sauce in the stores sold in mason jars. One of them (not classico) changed the types of jars to use a different style lid.
"To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
Old September 18, 2007, 08:45   #65
sniper69
Registered

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...145418711.html has some info on atlas mason jars.
Old November 11, 2007, 15:05   #66
jerrymrc
Registered

By the way gang it is turkey sale time again. Around here Safeway has over 16 lb turkeys for $7. Here is what a 20lb turkey is reduced to. 5 Qt jars. Now that I have the Outlaws with us we are going to get another bird today.

My mom told me that when she was growing up that they only had an icebox and just about lived on home canned Pheasant. Hmmmmmm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 140 (600 x 450).jpg (71.9 KB, 287 views)
Old November 11, 2007, 17:39   #67
spatin
Likes FALs

What did you put in there? Red turkey meat?
Sidney
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual ... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, ... or "taken care of."
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp
http://www.a-human-right.com/effective.html

“Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” - Benjamin Franklin

Donations are gratefully accepted.
Old November 11, 2007, 19:17   #68
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
What did you put in there? Red turkey meat?
Sidney
Just some turkey juice mixed with a little water and some chicken broth. I like the chicken broth as it makes the canned Turkey taste better and the turkey does change a little being mixed light and dark pieces.

Littletex brought home a 24lb one this afternoon so it will be ready to cook on Tuesday and can on Wednesday. I hope once it is thawed that it fits in the pan.
Old November 12, 2007, 01:42   #69
spatin
Likes FALs

It looks red in color in the jars as it came through over the wire. Maybe the color is wrong in the picture.

Questions:

Do you cook it completely before pressure canning it?

Doesn't pressure canning the turkey cook it some more?

Sidney
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual ... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, ... or "taken care of."
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

“Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” - Benjamin Franklin

Old November 12, 2007, 07:46   #70
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
It looks red in color in the jars as it came through over the wire. Maybe the color is wrong in the picture.

Questions:

Do you cook it completely before pressure canning it?

Doesn't pressure canning the turkey cook it some more?

Sidney
I cook it completely. I can debone a chicken but I am not in the mood to wrestle with 21 lbs of tom. The end product is very good and it takes 10 min to get all the meat off a cooked turkey.
Old November 13, 2007, 19:14   #71
jerrymrc
Registered

Well I went back today to pick up the Turkey for Thanksgiving and lo and behold Safeway had the 6.5lbs of Bacon on sale for $9.99. I see I am going to be busy for the next couple of days. One is already wrapped up and in the freezer and the other three I will can.

I think this may be a local sale but at less than $1.54 per pound I am not passing up this deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 143 (450 x 600).jpg (75.5 KB, 274 views)
Old November 15, 2007, 18:52   #72
jerrymrc
Registered

I am doing more tonight but I pre cooked the bacon some in the oven and then got 7 pint jars worth so each jar has just under a pound of uncooked bacon in it.

Also in the Pic is the last of the turkey. 45lbs reduced to 10qts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 144 (500 x 375).jpg (58.3 KB, 265 views)
Old November 15, 2007, 19:49   #73
sniper69
Registered

looks like a nice haul. What do you put in with the bacon?
Old November 15, 2007, 21:37   #74
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by sniper69
looks like a nice haul. What do you put in with the bacon?
Since the bacon was only half cooked I added about 2 TBS of water per pint. The rest is just the grease from the bacon.

It should be just about right to pull from the jar and cook it a little more to have crispy bacon in the morning. Not to mention the grease if needed.
Old November 18, 2007, 15:26   #75
Wil-C
Registered

FALaholic #: 17357
Quote:
Originally posted by sniper69

I've used them for canning with good results. They're used to be two brands of spaghetti sauce in the stores sold in mason jars. One of them (not classico) changed the types of jars to use a different style lid.
I went & bought some lids & seals and tried them on a jar. Perfect fit, so classico havn't changed & these are going to work. I'm pleased as I was hoping that would be the case & I have a boatload of these jars saved up.
Now I have to start researching for a pressure cooker, think I might try canning my own pasta sauce as a first project. I usually put a smidgen of meat in it for flavor but I had no idea you could can meat (ala: whats in this thread, thats incredible to see). It makes for a lot of possibilities in some difficult scenarios.
Old November 18, 2007, 15:40   #76
Knifeman
Registered

FALaholic #: 30491
I started canning this summer and me and my wife did blueberry and Peach jam. We were able to put up about 16 jars a piece from fresh picked fruit. Next year I hope to get a pressure canner and start doing veggies from the garden we hope to start in the spring.
Knifeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2007, 14:21   #77
jerrymrc
Registered

Speaking of canned meats..... Albertsons had boneless pork ribs on for $149 a pound. Bought 4 packages for $20 Fired up the grill on the Jenn air and braised them about 1/2-3/4 done. Cut it up into chunks and into the jars it went.

Looks like I would have got about 8+ quarts but I am doing 6 and saving the rest for dinner. I like to lightly grill pork and beef so it does not look so bad in the jar and it adds a little flavor.

7 quarts of meat for $20
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 146 (600 x 450).jpg (73.2 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by jerrymrc; December 08, 2007 at 21:40.
jerrymrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2007, 15:44   #78
spatin
Likes FALs

Have a look at Amazon.com. I was able to find a Presto 21 qt canner (big) for about $70, free shipping, no sales tax. Best deal I could find anywhere. That was almost a year ago, don't know what they have now, but I have seen that same Presto canner on the shelves here in town for over $100.
Sidney

Quote:

I went & bought some lids & seals and tried them on a jar. Perfect fit, so classico havn't changed & these are going to work. I'm pleased as I was hoping that would be the case & I have a boatload of these jars saved up.
Now I have to start researching for a pressure cooker, think I might try canning my own pasta sauce as a first project. I usually put a smidgen of meat in it for flavor but I had no idea you could can meat (ala: whats in this thread, thats incredible to see). It makes for a lot of possibilities in some difficult scenarios.
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

Old December 08, 2007, 17:17   #79
jerrymrc
Registered

Pork in a jar.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 147 (600 x 450).jpg (68.8 KB, 228 views)
Old December 08, 2007, 18:41   #80
spatin
Likes FALs

Pork in a jar looks pretty good.

Isn't it supposed to be covered by liquid?

I haven't done any meat yet, except for chili.

Sidney
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

Old December 08, 2007, 21:38   #81
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Pork in a jar looks pretty good.

Isn't it supposed to be covered by liquid?

I haven't done any meat yet, except for chili.

Sidney
Does not have to be 100%
Old December 16, 2007, 10:59   #82
Ned Flangers

FALaholic #: 23995
Here is neat outdoors website I have found. Not so sure about this though! bayou bill
Ned Flangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2008, 19:48   #83
jerrymrc
Registered

It is starting again gang. I just did 9 pints of green beans. Now I am waiting (hopefully) that they drop to 50 cents a lb. I bought some at $1 a lb and $4.70 got me 9 pints. My pints are about 1-1/2 store bought beans so it is so-so at this point.

If the price drops at all then I will be head and shoulders above what the stores are selling them for.
Old July 18, 2008, 20:33   #84
goldenspurholderx2
Registered

FALaholic #: 18600
I just did 48 ea. 4 oz. jars of jam. 8ea. of strawberry, blueberry, fig, cherry, strawberry rhubarb, and strawberry/lemon marmalade. Got all of the fresh fruit at Costco for $30 and even had enough left over for munching. I'm going to do some green beans in garlic and hot peppers my next days off. Also my romas are due to turn red soon so I'll have to figure out what to do with those.

Jerry, what pressure are you using for our 6000+ altitude? 15lbs? When you adjust the pressure for altitude you don't need to adjust the time like when doing a water bath right?
Old July 18, 2008, 21:17   #85
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenspurholderx2

Jerry, what pressure are you using for our 6000+ altitude? 15lbs? When you adjust the pressure for altitude you don't need to adjust the time like when doing a water bath right?
13.5 is when I start the timer. Time is the same. If you have a rocker type then they come 5-10-15 use 15. I have both types of pressure canners.
Old July 18, 2008, 22:46   #86
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Man Jerry,

All those pics of yours from last year just left my mouth watering...

If I wanted to get started canning (my wife has done jams and salsa but no pressureized stuff) do I just need jars, lids and a pressure cooker? Any other equipment investment?

What's the realistic longevity of canned meats?

I guess its kind of like investing, buy (food) on the dips and lay up a bunch for pricier times...

Is the longevity that much different from frozen foods and you just have the piece of mind of not relying on electricity?

Plenty of questions, any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
RJ
rowjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2008, 07:01   #87
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by rowjimmy
Man Jerry,

All those pics of yours from last year just left my mouth watering...

If I wanted to get started canning (my wife has done jams and salsa but no pressureized stuff) do I just need jars, lids and a pressure cooker? Any other equipment investment?

What's the realistic longevity of canned meats?

I guess its kind of like investing, buy (food) on the dips and lay up a bunch for pricier times...

Is the longevity that much different from frozen foods and you just have the piece of mind of not relying on electricity?

Plenty of questions, any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
RJ
Jars,lids,pressure cooker,timer and a book. I have books by the Gov and others but I always seem to use my Kerr book that is dated 73. I go 3 years on the meats but have only had a jar of stew make it that far before it was eaten.

I will say that having a room or pantry downstairs that is both cool and dark helps. Light is an enemy of home canned goods. My room is now pitch black.

I look at the ads every week and just about anything that is $1.50 per lb or less (boneless) is a candidate. I did screw up and not buy more round steak when it was $1.49 a Lb. It has become very popular around here in canned form.

Jars are getting hard to find at garage sales and on craigslist. The Commissary on post has pints for $5 and quarts for $6 right now. Wally world has pints for $6.75

Just some thoughts.
Old July 19, 2008, 09:28   #88
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Quote:
Originally posted by jerrymrc
...Jars are getting hard to find at garage sales and on craigslist. The Commissary on post has pints for $5 and quarts for $6 right now. Wally world has pints for $6.75....
Really, I haven't heard about this run on jars form 411man yet

I wonder if more folks are looking to can and thus the scarcity of used stuff.

Thanks for the tips!!

RJ
rowjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2008, 18:03   #89
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
I am about ready to plunge into the world of home canning. Not so much for the economics of it, but rather for the control over what I am eating and not being at the mercy of the electric company. They do a great job of supplying power, but all it would take is a few days without power (like alot of folks during the last round of tornados) and all of my frozen food would be in jeopardy of going bad.

As I go about my work day, I see lots of calves frolicking in various pastures and I cannot help but wonder how delicious they would be. I even wondered about how good and tender a newborn calf would be. Pull it straight out of the mamma cow, whack it in the melon, and get to cookin'.

I would love to have a couple of calves canned up next to the 5 deer that I have frozen at the moment.
How about fish? Anybody have experience with canning fish?
Old July 19, 2008, 18:55   #90
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
I would love to have a couple of calves canned up next to the 5 deer that I have frozen at the moment. How about fish? Anybody have experience with canning fish?
Canned deer is great. I have not canned actual fish but I have done up some of my lobster and crab chowder.

OK gang lets can some more stuff. On today's menu is Strawberries. Now I do like them frozen and fresh but a few jars put away will not hurt anything. I like them on ice cream and pancakes.

One 4lb pack on sale for $4.50
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canning 001 (small).jpg (91.9 KB, 161 views)
Old July 19, 2008, 19:00   #91
jerrymrc
Registered

I am going to post how I can them. I am sure there are other ways but this works for me. Take 1-1/2 quart of water, 1-3/4 cups of sugar and put on the stove. Take about 10-12 strawberries and puree them add to the water/sugar mix and bring to a boil. I find that cutting at a 45 angle and just rotate the berry makes short work of the stems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canning 003 (small).jpg (79.3 KB, 160 views)
Old July 19, 2008, 19:01   #92
jerrymrc
Registered

Here is our water/sugar/berry mix after boiling let cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canning 002 (small).jpg (57.3 KB, 159 views)
Old July 19, 2008, 19:03   #93
jerrymrc
Registered

After all the berries are cut add to the pot and bring to a boil for 3 min. cover and walk away for 4 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canning 004 (small).jpg (63.5 KB, 159 views)
Old July 19, 2008, 19:06   #94
jerrymrc
Registered

Now we get our water bath canner and add enough water to cover the jars 1" Fill your jars and tighten the bands firmly. Bring water to a boil, place jars in bath and start your timer. For pints 15min but because I live @ 6000' it is 21 min.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canning 005 (small).jpg (78.4 KB, 161 views)
Old July 19, 2008, 19:09   #95
jerrymrc
Registered

I got 8 jars of berries and 2 -1/2 of juice. If you like your berries real sweet I would go with 2 -2-1/4 cups of sugar. Remove bands/mark and enjoy. Finished product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canning 006 (small).jpg (59.3 KB, 159 views)
Old July 19, 2008, 21:20   #96
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
But I can't walk for 4 hours
Old July 19, 2008, 22:27   #97
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle
But I can't walk for 4 hours
I guess I need to find the link to the "scooter store" and send them your Medicaid info.
Old July 19, 2008, 22:50   #98
spatin
Likes FALs

Jerry, where are you finding these good deals on meats for canning? I check the papers and sales, but seldom if ever do I see anything like that up here on my end of town.
I would love to get some round steak canned up, maybe some pork too.
Do you can chicken? With or without the bones? Hot or cold pack?
A while back, I hot packed some boneless chicken breasts from Sam's and that turned out really nice. That encourages me to try some other things.
Sidney
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

Old July 20, 2008, 06:36   #99
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Jerry, where are you finding these good deals on meats for canning? I check the papers and sales, but seldom if ever do I see anything like that up here on my end of town.
I would love to get some round steak canned up, maybe some pork too.
Do you can chicken? With or without the bones? Hot or cold pack?
A while back, I hot packed some boneless chicken breasts from Sam's and that turned out really nice. That encourages me to try some other things.
Sidney
The round steak was the end of may. That is what the beef BBQ was at Falfest. 2-3 weeks ago chicken breasts were $1.55 a lb at the Mexican store on circle.
This weeks ads were ok. King soopers. Pork sirloin roast .99 a LB. Country style ribs $1.49 a Lb. Both are bone in but I find the ribs bones to be small if you look and the roast comes in at $1.50 per Lb after you discard the bone.

Safeway has pork chops for $1.59 per Lb but they are bone in. Bacon is on sale and the best deal is the 48oz butchers cut that works out to $1.80 per Lb. The large 6.5lb ones are right at $2 per lb vs the $1.50 I paid 3 weeks ago.

All chicken is hot pack boneless as is all the meat I can.
Old August 06, 2008, 21:42   #100
Ak_guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 777
Search for a PDF named Joy of Canning. It is free and has LOTS of recipes. Get ya a Ball Blue book also. I have alot of canning guides I inherited from my grandma.

Made this year:

Kosher pickles
Hot kosher Pickles
Candied pears
Blackberry Jelly
Pickled vegetables (cauliflower, carrot, banana peppers)
Pickled squash.

I like pickles...
Ak_guy is offline   Reply With Quote