The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 12, 2017, 15:36   #1
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Anybody have experience with a Keltech RFB ?

I've never been impressed with Keltech stuff, but a just had a chance to put about 60 rounds through an RFB and have to admit it was fun to shoot. I can see some advantages to the short, compact configuration. Not sure the "need" justifies the expense, but I'm curious as to what the hive thinks of the critters, particularly reliability.

A quick glance at the specs seems to indicate that it would be suppressor friendly, which is a plus.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 17:53   #2
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
I've got one I have never even shot..... I guess I'll have to take it out and try it.

I did notice that the rail may be a Weaver and not Mil Spec. My AimPoint PRO is loose on it when I mount it.

I think NUTZ has one IIRC
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 18:43   #3
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
I own one, early 2017 vintage (lots of small changes are made with these often with no announcement).

Accuracy mimics my 16" FAL using the same ammunition. The gas piston has around 40 positions of adjustability. Proper adjustment is critical. Under gassing and over gassing both cause malfunctions. The bolt operated just like a FAL, but has an elevator on it to lift the spent brass into a chute above the barrel. Under gassing means the bolt doesn't move far enough back to elevate the spent brass high enough to make it into the chute, causing the bolt to hold open as the brass rams against the ejection chute feed ramp. Over gassing means the bolt slams against the rear of the receiver, possibly bouncing the brass out of the extractor/ elevator causing a jam.

Put simply.....follow the manual. Once gas is adjusted for a specific load DONT PLAY WITH IT. If you want to change loads (especially big changes in grain size) re adjust the gas according to the manual.

I keep it simple with mine and only shoot M80. I see 4" at 100 yards with ZQI (same as my FAL). It's better with PMC. It's never seen match ammo, neither has my FAL.

Recoil is low to mild for a 7.62 NATO, similar to a FAL. The muzzle blast is not disruptive even with it being so close to your face.

The big thing I have to say about it, other than learn and understand the gas system is buy the KelTec Kydex cheek rest. That steel plate gets COLD in cold weather, and HOT in the sun or during a rapid string of fire.

If I could only have one, and I knew from the start my RFB was going to cost me $1200 (they can be had for that low) and my FAL was going to cost me nearly $3000 after I was done adding parts.....I probably would have the RFB as my one and only rifle. It's not built to withstand multiple wars like the FAL (lots of plastic. Good quality plastic...but plastic), but its build quality is superb for being a KelTec, recoil is mild, accuracy is good enough for a battle rifle, and it's TINY for what it is. An 8 pound, 26" OAL, 18" bbl, 7.62 NATO battle rifle. I love mine, and should have bought one years ago.

Feel free to ask any specifics.
fuel fire desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 20:48   #4
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Appreciate the feedback

I think I'm slightly infatuated with it as it is the first bullpup that I have tried that seems like a good design and has good ergos ( for me at least ! ). We'll see

Just picked up a CZ75 to supplement my beloved HiPower, so the budget will force me to think about the RFB rather than being too impulsive !!

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
Old October 12, 2017, 22:18   #5
fuel fire desire
Registered

I watched RFB prices for seriously for over a year before I bought mine. Casually for the last couple years. I really think KelTec makes these in surges. For months, NO ONE will have them in stock except for the one or two retailers that are asking WAY too much ($2000+), and then one day, EVERYONE has them in stock for average prices of $1400 - $1700 for a season or so and then they disappear again.

I had been wanting an OD model (they come in black, OD, FDE, and the occasional grey), and told myself I would buy the first one that popped up at $1400 or less. For a year I looked....and nothing. Either out of stock, or $1800+. So the very week I decide to move forward and finish my high end AR race gun with the cash I had set aside for it....a black one pops up for $1150 shipped. I basically told myself “well......F-it” and just threw it on a credit card.

I forgot the site I was using, but it browses just about every online retailer and shows price and availability of firearms, even by color, and is updated daily. I made it a habit to check it every few days. I ended up buying from GunBuyer.com, who apparently is operated by a jerk according to my local FFL. I was told he deliberately undercuts brick and mortar shops on uncommon desireable items to get patrons, and charges average pricing for average gear to make up for it. Huge buying power lets him do it. I hate going around my local shop, as I’ve been a customer for life and have a great relationship with them.....but Gun Buyer had what I wanted for $100 less than what the shop could even buy it for from their distributor.
Old October 12, 2017, 22:48   #6
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
https://gun.deals/product/kel-tec-rf...sh?mobile=true

Here's one with a 24 inch barrel. Might have a less finicky gas system. I feel bad buying online but my local ffl told me to buy something online one time. He said it was cheaper online than he could even get it from his distributors and he makes 25$ on the transfer which isn't that much less than he makes on the sale of some new guns. They make their $$$ on the pawn side and on used guns.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 23:51   #7
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Not mentioned is the fact that the RFB is compatible with FAL mags. A nice extra for sure.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017, 00:05   #8
fuel fire desire
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
Not mentioned is the fact that the RFB is compatible with FAL mags. A nice extra for sure.
Just not with Moses mags (of which I have many). The ribs interfere with the mag well. It does come with a KelTec branded Thermold though. Feeds well from my variety of DSA mags.

Also, the mag well in the RFB is a straight in/ drop free well like on a tavor. No rock in/ rock out like the FAL. It does take a swift smack to seat the mags though.
Old October 13, 2017, 09:20   #9
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I don't have an RFB, and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either. I do have a lot of other Keltec guns though and generally like them but they can be a crap shoot. The Sub2K is a great concept and gun in all three versions I have. I really, really like my RDB but it had a fatal issue that caused a major stoppage so I had to send it back to Keltec. They fixed it but now I am concerned about long term (or even short term) durability. Also, if you do get a jamb, well it can be a serious problem with a bullpup.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017, 10:20   #10
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFN49 View Post
...I think NUTZ has one IIRC
Yup! Love it!!!

It is waiting on the 3X AGOG to arrive. It had the Vortex SPARCII which is now on the SUB2K pictured with it.

My YouTube channel has a few videos of me shooting it some days past.

Old October 13, 2017, 11:15   #11
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Looks like MAC had some problems. Of course he was shooting steel case ammo with DSA mags on an uncleaned Gen 1 gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_xvj_7aO2Y

The lack of response from Keltech to a couple of problems reported on the video are making me think this is a no-go. Anything mechanical can develop problems, but I expect better service than what is reported here.

Old October 13, 2017, 12:17   #12
fuel fire desire
Registered

Problem 1: steel case ammo

Problem 2: dirty/ dry rifle

Problem 3: rifle not broken in (it took mine ~300 or so to get buttery)

Problem 4: DSA mags

Problem 5: (probably) improper gassing

Problem 6: Gen 1 v.1 of the rifle. They are now on Gen 2 v.5? or so.

These rifles have the heart of a FAL, They both hate steel case equally. There have been many changes to the rifle since then. Remember....this video is half a decade old.

In the follow up video he addresses the issues, and was not having any problems.

I’ve never dealt with KelTec service though. Both my KSG and RFB have been GTG.
Old October 17, 2017, 13:03   #13
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
After selling my Grayslake I was down to an RFB or M1a, and watched prices on both on GetBroker. Was never able to afford either, wanted (hell, want) both, but shot the M-14 in the Navy and I do appreciate accuracy, so M1a Loaded it was. What really helped with the decision was when I found one a guy had made a typo, misspelling "loaded" as "loded" with a low starting bid and no reserve. I was the only bidder at the starting $1400 for a loaded with the adjustable stock, in all black. Deal was good enough it allowed me some decent glass and the mount.

Still want an RFB though, if for no other reason than it's one of the very few bullpups we lefties can shoot without brass in the ear, as well as making brass collection far more convenient when it isn't launched to the side. One of these days...
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2017, 23:46   #14
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I'm curious what the bolt lockup on these is like?

From the few videos on Youtube that let you catch a quick glimpse, it looks like an awfully small bridge of metal at the back of the simple receiver that the bolt drops down into. Not only that but one of the holes for the chassis pins appears to pass through the receiver at the locking lug.

Despite its remarkably svelte receiver, the FAL actually has a lot of material in shear and not just some little bridge of metal as the locking shoulder is backed up by the receiver itself.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; October 18, 2017 at 11:21.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017, 15:48   #15
fuel fire desire
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
I'm curious what the bolt lockup on these is like?

From the few videos on Youtube that let you catch a quick glimpse, it looks like an awfully small bridge of metal at the back of the simple receiver that the bolt drops down into. Not only that but one of the holes for the chassis pins appears to pass through the receiver at the locking lug.

Despite its remarkably svelte receiver, the FAL actually has a lot of material in shear and not just some little bridge of metal as the locking shoulder is backed up by the receiver itself.
I wish I would have seen this post last night, as I would have taken a better pic during my deep cleaning (a little involved to take all the way down)

That is the receiver. The block spanning the two side sections is the bearing surface for the bolt. It drops the rear of the bolt right in front of that cross block. All the glitter is from me using DSA mags (they do the same thing to my FAL).

The ramp above the chamber is the feed ramp for the ejection chute. If the gun is under gassed, and the bolt doesn't move all the way to the rear, the extractor/ elevator doesn't lift the brass high enough to clear the ramp and it sticks it right on the nose of the ramp. This is the only malfunction Ive had with this gun. The easy fix is to just turn the gas up, though, I wonder if reshaping the ramp a bit would help prevent some of these from happening.
Old October 18, 2017, 16:22   #16
fuel fire desire
Registered

I decided to get all oily and take pics anyway (this thing likes to be WET with oil)

If you want to see any specific detail pics, let me know.

This is the main receiver. Its a phosphate coated carbon steel, and reminds me of a chopped up FAL receiver. The locking block is integrated into the receiver, it can not be replaced for a larger one if the receiver stretches.

Assembled, looking up the bottom of the mag well at the locked bolt.

Old October 18, 2017, 19:20   #17
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
So this little bridge of metal, with a chassis pin hole running through it is the only material holding the breech shut, or is their something in the sidewalls that engages the bolt? I'm assuming Kel Tec tested this to make sure the head space lasts longer than the barrel does. Not trying to be a jerk, I've just really wanted one of these and am wondering if I should buy one.

Old October 18, 2017, 20:59   #18
fuel fire desire
Registered

That's it. I'm not sure how KelTec would change headspace other than to reseat the barrel (doesn't look hard to do), or have longer bolts available.

But, nowhere in the decade or so of talk on the KelTec forums on this gun have I heard any mention of headspace issues, even on the original guns. And many of those members run these things hard.

Also keep in mind, the FAL was designed as a service weapon, and designed to be used as such in the field for decades. The KelTec wasn't designed to fit a specific role in any military. I know if only one group that issues it, and it's by no means a very active fighting force. It's a gee-whiz novelty gun, designed to be shot by the weekend warrior maybe 500-1000 rounds a year. As such, it's overbuilt. As a military weapon, with a 20,000 round lifetime count as a real possibility, .....I'd much rather have a FAL.

I'm really curious how the MDR fares in the first production runs though. I've had my eye on that for a while.

EDIT:

Re-reading what you said, were you concerned about the small amount of metal containing the pressure? Even with the chassis pin hole, that bridge has more meat to it than the FAL's locking shoulder.

.....theres just no way to replace it with an oversized one.

Heres a picture of the bolt. The vertical piece of metal to the right is the bolt carrier, and it it tilted up and away on the bolts cam pin to expose the bolt and extractor/ elevator. The extractor/ elevator is a dual claw type extractor that pivots up to present the empty brass to the ejection chute. THIS, right here, is the failure point of the RFB. The only thing I have ever heard "break" on these guns are these spring steel extractors. One side will crack, and then the gun refuses to eject brass anymore. Its not often this happens, but its the most predominant mechanical failure Ive heard of with these. KelTec has always warrantied these failures though.

The bolt is a 1/2" slab of steel. Older ones were nickel boron coated, the new ones are coated with a slippery shiny black coating, almost like an anodizing.

It may sound like I'm defending keltec, but Im more defending the concept and intent of purpose for the rifle. Until the MDR (FINALLY) came out this last month, the RFB was the only player in the 7.62 NATO bullpup game. And in a 18"bbl/ 26" oal package too. It was designed for casual civilian use, and not hard military duty with a 40 year service life. On top of all that, it has THE BEST bullpup trigger Ive ever felt. Its almost what I would consider to be a "good" rifle trigger. Not to mention its very well balanced, ergonomic, built very well (and not just by keltec standards...actually very well), and is tiny compared to what used to be considered a 'compact' 7.62 carbine.

For a civilian company.....especially a plastic wonder company like keltec.......to come up with something like this and actually have it be GOOD is damn impressive IMO.

But don't get me wrong...... if it comes to be that the Desert Tech turns out to be the best thing since the SCAR, you can definitely bet my RFB will be sold to fund the purchase of one. If not for anything else but to get a 3 position gas system, even with the loss of the ability to use FAL mags. The FORTY position system on the RFB is just not idiot proof, and requires a full understanding of the operating system to make function properly.

Im in love with the concept more than the specific rifle, and am very pleased with the execution. There are many improvements to be made though.

Last edited by fuel fire desire; October 19, 2017 at 11:13.
Old October 19, 2017, 12:52   #19
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quick question for the guys that have them... how are they on brass? System looks like it's either very kind, or that the front lips might get beat to hell upon ejection. So what's the word?
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2017, 14:18   #20
fuel fire desire
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
Quick question for the guys that have them... how are they on brass? System looks like it's either very kind, or that the front lips might get beat to hell upon ejection. So what's the word?
Depends how you gas it.

I keep mine on the low side of properly gassed. As such, the brass likes to kiss the feed ramp on its way out. Most of the time the mouth is just slightly deformed (pushed in no more than the thickness of the case wall), but other times, when for whatever reason the bolt doesn't go through its full stroke, the brass isn't elevated high enough and the brass smacks the feed ramp hard.

This is a worst case example.

Or.....every now and then, usually when the gun is very dirty, the brass doesn't make the ramp at all and the brass sticks itself right over the ramp.

This is the worst kind of malfunction Ive seen with mine. I have to take the mag out, flip the gun over, and use my finger to pull the brass off the ramp. I think Ive seen it twice in 500 rounds. Once while trying to get the gun gassed, and the other after 300 or so rounds without cleaning or regassing. Both of these pics were taken during the guns first range trip, so the gun was not gassed properly, and the gun was not broke in. It took a good 200 rounds for this thing to start running efficiently.

Most of the time brass comes out pristine.

Last edited by fuel fire desire; October 19, 2017 at 14:24.
Old October 19, 2017, 16:49   #21
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FFD, thanks for a very insightful, informative, and well documented review. Much better than what comes out of some "professionals".

Well appreciated !

Old October 19, 2017, 23:06   #22
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
FFD, thanks for a very insightful, informative, and well documented review. Much better than what comes out of some "professionals".

Well appreciated !
What Jim said!

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017, 08:26   #23
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Just to add to the thread from PM answer I provided (figured I would share if there is value to all):

Questions:

Curious if you had any issues with the rifle at break-in; gas setting, FTF, FTE, etc...?

...Online research seems to indicate that rifle cycles reliably when gas is properly set and rifle is adequately lubed (most users state that rifle likes to run wet).

...Do you find it necessary to re-adjust gas when changing ammo; specifically a change in bullet weight?

Answers and added info:

I primarily shoot XM80 or ZQI in it and I initially adjusted the gas using this method (and readjusted it a few times after full cleaning or tear down forgetting what my gas clicks were)

I have run heavier (168gr FGMM and Hornady AMAX) in it and I should have opened up the gas a bit with the hotter/heavier loads. Cratered a few primers on the AMAX stuff.

The only reliability issue I had was with the recoil/return springs in the BCG Carrier Channel. The welds on one side were done poorly (broke loose and spring was failing on one side) and I had to re-weld one of the spring carriers in the channel (went ahead and did both much stronger). Never had an issue since. This is one of the issues that I have seen on the KTOG talked about.

https://www.thektog.org/threads/bolt...ailure.241508/

I am waiting on the 3x ACOG (took the Vortex SparcII off to put on Sub2K) to show up and will take her back out for sight-in and maybe run some different factory ammo through it again to really dial it on the round it likes. I will post a range/video report of course.

Forgot to comment on the "Wet" statement in the PM: I grease the bolt and rail surfaces and oil the springs and pin points well.
Old October 20, 2017, 18:51   #24
fuel fire desire
Registered

In talking about the RFB and it's issues, I decided to see how many people were having the brass-into-ramp issue I've had on occasion.

The answer is a handful, but I was way wrong as to the cause. It's not undergassing like I had assumed, it's the opposite. It's a symptom of overgassing apparently. It's said the action of the bolt hitting the buffer in the rear jolts the brass elevator down, and the brass hits the ramp on the return stroke. The mechanism that elevates the brass is entirely independent of bolt stroke, it's simply spring loaded, so my theory was plain incorrect.

I was wrong.

In any case...... gas the rifle properly. If you start having issues...reset the gas.

Here's the spring loaded elevator in action in a cutaway RFB being fired.

https://youtu.be/DLO7rHjHerk

Last edited by fuel fire desire; October 20, 2017 at 19:02.
Old October 22, 2017, 10:53   #25
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
Maybe I missed it, but do the fal mags need to be modified in any way and can they still be used in a fal ??
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017, 11:46   #26
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Maybe I missed it, but do the fal mags need to be modified in any way and can they still be used in a fal ??
I think that the rifles are still being shipped with a Thermold FAL mag.

Military FAL mags do not need to be modified.

I don't know about the mags that Moses sold...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017, 12:11   #27
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Moses FAL magazines will not fit into an RFB without modifications and I will not do this since it would mean filing/sanding down the magazine side ribs (which I think are for structural stability).
Old October 22, 2017, 16:46   #28
fuel fire desire
Registered

Even with the ribs sanded down they're a tight fit.

I use DSA 25 and 30 rounders in mine no problem. The factory supplied thermold works great too.
Old October 22, 2017, 16:57   #29
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
Thank you,,...I only do military mags anyway...

I sold a dozen NOS stg58 mags ro a local guy a few years ago (friend of a friend type thing)
He told me he needed to mod and cut a slot in them for use in something that I cant remember now...
Just wanted to make sure that wasent the case here...
The thought of his doing that to a bunch of NOS fal mags gave me the eye twitch...lol..
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017, 19:00   #30
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Thank you,,...I only do military mags anyway...

I sold a dozen NOS stg58 mags ro a local guy a few years ago (friend of a friend type thing)
He told me he needed to mod and cut a slot in them for use in something that I cant remember now...
Just wanted to make sure that wasent the case here...
The thought of his doing that to a bunch of NOS fal mags gave me the eye twitch...lol..
Sounds like he was using them in a SCAR 17.

Old October 26, 2017, 06:42   #31
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
This post has re-peaked my interest. I briefly entertained the idea of an RFB when they came, but the street price was over 2K and they were largely unavailable.

As of yesterday, the local gun shop has one with a red "SALE" tag, that he said he was willing to work with me on. I may go back with some trade bait next week. Ergonomics weren't all that, but the 27" long 308 really calls to me.

He said he had sent a couple back to Keltec with function issues, I'm wondering if this is one of them. In box, marked as new, appeared new except lots of brass rubs on the bottom of the carrier??? Maybe 40 rounds worth, thermold mag had no indication of ever being loaded. Does Keltec function test that much?
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2017, 06:49   #32
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

I want to see the 7.62 Tavor before I drop money on a 308 bullpup.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2017, 07:45   #33
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbug View Post
This post has re-peaked my interest. I briefly entertained the idea of an RFB when they came, but the street price was over 2K and they were largely unavailable.

As of yesterday, the local gun shop has one with a red "SALE" tag, that he said he was willing to work with me on. I may go back with some trade bait next week. Ergonomics weren't all that, but the 27" long 308 really calls to me.

He said he had sent a couple back to Keltec with function issues, I'm wondering if this is one of them. In box, marked as new, appeared new except lots of brass rubs on the bottom of the carrier??? Maybe 40 rounds worth, thermold mag had no indication of ever being loaded. Does Keltec function test that much?
What I've gathered so far pretty much supports what folks here have said. Clean, lube, gas adjust, couple hundred rounds of break-in and they seem to run fine.

Old October 26, 2017, 12:52   #34
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Well,

I want to see the 7.62 Tavor before I drop money on a 308 bullpup.

Thorack
Between that and the MDR (as long as they keep pushing 'em out), I see no reason to mess with the RFB. FAL mag compatibility would be a weak excuse, given how inexpensive PMags are.
Old October 26, 2017, 14:20   #35
fuel fire desire
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Between that and the MDR (as long as they keep pushing 'em out), I see no reason to mess with the RFB. FAL mag compatibility would be a weak excuse, given how inexpensive PMags are.
Yep.

If the MDR turns out to be a problem free rifle, and they actually make enough to keep them from becoming a unicorn like the RFB once was.... I’m most likely going to sell the RFB to fund one.

The RFB was leading the way, but the features and operation of the MDR just look superior.
Old October 27, 2017, 13:03   #36
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Cool. Thanks for the even-handed RFB information.
Old October 27, 2017, 13:14   #37
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

The TA33-C 3x30 ACOG will be delivered this weekend. I will post a sighting-in video range report once I get it installed on the RFB.
Old October 31, 2017, 21:07   #38
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Took her out today and sighted in the new Trijicon TA33-C ACOG. Sighted in with ZQI (target picture) then ran Federal XM80 for the video range report.

ZQI Group:

The ACOG Family:

Old October 31, 2017, 21:36   #39
fuel fire desire
Registered

Ive had similar results when changing from ZQI to another M80. Im down to my last 40mm can (1200 rounds) of ZQI which I specifically set aside for zombies, so I ordered the next cheapest M80 which ended up being Hirtenberger.

Hirt was shooting 5" high out of the RFB with POA/ POI set for ZQI at 100 yards. It showed 3-4" high out of my 16" DSA with the same zero. Consequently....the RFB was WAY overgassed with Hirt. So overgassed in fact, that i would lock back on the last round even with the gas regulator cap removed.

I called KelTec to ask for input and if they've seen such a wild change in gassing between two NATO standard M80's. After 20 minutes on hold, they didn't even listen to what I had to say about the problem. Just "send it in". Not even an offer to send me a shipping label, or tell me any troubleshooting tips over the phone.....just "send it in."

So instead of spending $50 round trip to have them just say "could not duplicate malfunction", I just removed the gas rings (the piston has AR15-like gas rings on late model RFB's) and now its cycling fine at B+14 on the regulator.

Thats no bueno if it takes that large of an adjustment for two different loads that are supposed to be 147gr at 2750fps. I can understand a 50-100 fps difference between the two, since they're made 35 years apart and in two different countries.....but to have that small change require such a HUGE change in adjustment is disconcerting.

Though....in the rifles defense......it did get a full deep cleaning for the first time since initial break in before switching to Hirt (hundreds of rounds). Internal friction may be way lower than before, requiring way less gas to operate. And I was having occasional overgasing malfunctions in the 100-200 prior rounds. It might just be a combination of the gun not needing the efficient seal the rings make on the piston and simple operator error in understanding the gas system.

......which is why Im hoping the MDR with its 3 position regulator, or the Tavor 7 turn out to be winners so the thinking game of "is it gassed correctly?" will become unnecessary. Initial reports are saying the MDR has its own issues though.

KelTec does have the advantage of having a horse in this race for a decade already while the others try to catch up.

I would also like to add that I'm glad its not just me that sucks with ZQI. I could never get that stuff to group out of the DSA or the RFB better than what you pictured.
Old November 01, 2017, 10:37   #40
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the range report Nuttz.

Curious: in your video with the federal ammo your hits started at around 4 o'clock and ran in a string up to around 11 o'clock before settling in high and slightly right of POA. Did you see a similar stringing with the ZQ1 before the group tightened up? Maybe the barrel groups better hot?
Old November 01, 2017, 11:03   #41
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for the range report Nuttz...
NP!
Quote:
...Curious: in your video with the federal ammo your hits started at around 4 o'clock and ran in a string up to around 11 o'clock before settling in high and slightly right of POA. Did you see a similar stringing with the ZQ1 before the group tightened up? Maybe the barrel groups better hot?
I didn't get a good look at the ZQI climb (didn't hit the record button correctly on the iPhone first go around, which is why you only got a video range report for the XM80) but I am imagining it did similarly. I am going to feed it some 168gr FGMM and Hornady A-Max soon and see how much better it will do. I do agree that it appears to shoot better hot!
Old November 01, 2017, 11:11   #42
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
NP!

I didn't get a good look at the ZQI climb (didn't hit the record button correctly on the iPhone first go around, which is why you only got a video range report for the XM80) but I am imagining it did similarly. I am going to feed it some 168gr FGMM and Hornady A-Max soon and see how much better it will do. I do agree that it appears to shoot better hot!
Will watch for the next range report. Anxious to see how she does with match ammo.

Thanks
Old November 01, 2017, 11:16   #43
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Will watch for the next range report. Anxious to see how she does with match ammo.

Thanks
I will take my time and try to stabilize the rest better.
Old November 01, 2017, 12:47   #44
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
I loaded the truck up with trade fodder and went to do the deal on one today. Shop owner is going to be out all week with family issues. Damn, have to wait for next rainy day.

Anybody built a semi integral suppressor that fits both sets of barrel threads?
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 01, 2017, 15:08   #45
fuel fire desire
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbug View Post

Anybody built a semi integral suppressor that fits both sets of barrel threads?
You mean the muzzle device threads and the big quad rail attachment threads next to the hand guard? Not that Ive ever seen. Though there was a guy on one of the bullpup forums that was prototyping a Tec-9 style barrel shroud/ thread protector. I don't know if he ever decided to produce them or not.

Old November 01, 2017, 21:31   #46
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel fire desire View Post
You mean the muzzle device threads and the big quad rail attachment threads next to the hand guard? Not that Ive ever seen. Though there was a guy on one of the bullpup forums that was prototyping a Tec-9 style barrel shroud/ thread protector. I don't know if he ever decided to produce them or not.

That's cool; nice aesthetic and functional.

I also like the look of the extended quad-rail on the hunter 24" barrel.

Old November 01, 2017, 22:01   #47
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Quote:
That's cool; nice aesthetic and functional.

I also like the look of the extended quad-rail on the hunter 24" barrel.

Too much cheese grater
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2017, 09:02   #48
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I don't have an RFB, and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either. I do have a lot of other Keltec guns though and generally like them but they can be a crap shoot. The Sub2K is a great concept ...
Not an RFB but I figure since we are talking Kel-Tec and it was mentioned, I shoot the Kel-Tec Sub2K in this video (and the SIG MPX). Fun time!!!

Old November 02, 2017, 12:30   #49
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Too much cheese grater
But I like cheese!
Old November 02, 2017, 12:49   #50
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Too much cheese grater
Would it have killed them to use MLOK slots instead (Pipe down Dickmod fans.)? Would look much better, be lighter, and retain the same functionality. Almost certainly cheaper to make, too.