Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 12, 2017, 18:10   #1
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Pedersoli Sharps? Thoughts?

I just bought a Pedersoli Sharps from Gunjoker and have yet to receive it, but I'm curious if anyone has used these at all.

The price was right, and it's all but new.
34" heavy octagonal barrel, military stock with patchbox, long range sights with globe front, double set triggers, I'm hoping it'll be a good shooter.

it's .45-90, yeah, I'd have preferred .45-70, but it was less expensive and I've heard guys run .45-70 in them all day long.

I have a really well used (as in beat up) Shiloh Sharps in .45-70 with similar features and it runs like a top, and should I expect the same with this one?

Anyone own one of these spaghetti guns? If so, what are your opinions? I'm hoping for a silhouette rifle, it'll do the job.
I generally load my own BP stuff and will do so with this one as well.

I'm thinking possibly of mounting a 30" period Malcolm style 10 power scope with Creedmoor mounts. Hopefully with a good pair of sticks, this one will talk the talk.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; October 12, 2017 at 20:39.
ExCdnSoldierInTx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 18:50   #2
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Very accurate, and very well made. On the higher end models I was shocked to see how nice the fit and finish is. Immaculate blueing and case hardening. The action is tight, and smooth as butter. The double set trigger is INSANELY light and crisp. I never measured it, but it's in the ounces, with no creep.

Very heavy guns with the longer octagonal barrels, and no provisions for a sling. It would make for a long day of walking with it. But that's my only complaint.
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 19:35   #3
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Can't say I have experience with the Sharps specifically but I do have a Pedersoli Rolling Block .45-70 and I'm very happy with fit, finish, and overall quality.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 20:13   #4
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Awesome news then. I have a few spaghetti lever guns and a couple of their wheelguns, and I'm happy with them all.
The 1860 Henry had a hideously nasty trigger, as in a 20lb pull, but an evening with a file and stone fixed it.
They all have good finish and shoot great.

The long Sharps will be used as a silhouette gun, and maybe I'll even try for a buffalo with it.
Old October 13, 2017, 12:34   #5
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
You'll like it. My cousin has one in .45-120, which is just absurdly brutal. Very well-made rifle. .45-90 is a bit more reasonable. Allows you to shoot .45-70 without issue, plus you have the option to add some more horsepower with full .45-90 loads.

I hope you have a nice pair of shootin' sticks.
Old October 13, 2017, 12:52   #6
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
I had a really early one, bought used about 91' or so. Well made and very pretty.
45-120, which kicked like a mule because of the butt plate, even though it was like 14lbs and should have been a pussy cat with BP.
Never got it to shoot even close to my expectations and sold it to the boss as an office wall hanger.
Most probably because my bullets werent big enough for the bore...but say la vie....Newer ones have much better bores from what I've read..
Still have the dies and like 50rds of bell brass somewhere in my junk, if someone wants to trade me something for them,,,

Cheers, YV
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017, 15:39   #7
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

A few years back, I had a C-Sharps in 45-120. It stayed in my possession for two weeks and exactly 6 rounds.

The first two rounds completely dislocated my brain.
The second two were after an hour when I doubted my memory. They were worse.
The third two were the next week, when I tried shouldering it differently.
I then traded it even up on the spot for a Centennial in .45-70.

My right side was numb for a week. That crescent buttplate isn't the ideal shape for big power loads.

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; October 14, 2017 at 20:48.
Old October 13, 2017, 19:37   #8
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post
A few years back, I had a C-Sharps in 45-120. It stayed in my possession for two weeks and exactly 6 rounds.

The first two rounds completely dislocated my brain.
The second two were after an hour when I doubted my memory. They were worse.
The third two were the next week, when I tried shouldering it differently.
I then traded it even up on the spot for a Centennial in .45-70.

My right side was numb for a week. That crescent buttplate isn't the ideal shape for big power loads.
pussy...

but most anything out of VT, the valley of the guns in Italy is great goods CDN
main bitch is replacement parts which can get iffy as many guns are not factory builds, rather they are manufactured by gun crafting family guilds there.

Uberti, Pedersoli, etc are all mostly guild guns.

Uberti maintains slightly better QC but it's negligible at best
again the main bitch is spare parts as you run into slight variations between guilds.

The el cheapo EMF guns were bottom tier VT. Cheaper yet were the CVA raw kit revolvers.
Cabelas shit is botton rung too.
Same steel just way less QC.

Pedersoli sharps are decent though

Crescent plates "can" beat you up if you are bubber or don't cinch the hold up solid into the shoulder meat
dunno', I have had 90 odd pound gurls running .50-90 Rolling blocks no problem at all Mr. Candy Ass

Shilohs "were" great guns
not so impressed these days
the Farmingdale actions rocked the cock but tards' mostly desire a Montana Sharps.
Pretty certain I still have a #2 tapered oct in .38-55 with forend and extractor that would preserve your delicate shoulder

fag...
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017, 20:12   #9
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
My "spaghetti" rifle is by Uberti in the form of an 1885 Winchester High Wall with 30" barrel in 45-70.

It has a crescent buttplate and you will soon discover these pogue's are not meant for bench rest shooting. Your crossed sticks is a very good idea.

I would advise finding 45-90 cases, but if using 45-70's make sure to thoroughly clean the chamber soon after firing.

There are actually two 45-90 cartridges, Sharps and Winchester. Both use the same case dimensions, but the Winchester was an "Express" loading for use with relatively light 300gr bullets at approx. 2100fps. from a 1-32" twist barrel.
The Sharps barrel was generally a 1-20" twist, shooting 500 grain bullets at 1200-1300 fps.

My 45-90 is a Winchester 1886 with 28" barrel produced in 1887. I baby this old shooter and mostly shoot 330gr Gould bullet about 1600fps when I want to blow the cobwebs out of it once in a blue moon.

45-70 Dies work fine for reloading the 45-90 as well.

Petersoli's are very well made and great looking rifles. Enjoy!
Old October 13, 2017, 20:42   #10
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Good deal. I have the 45-70 dies already so we should be good to go. This rifle has the Sharps twist, so yeah, a heavy bullet is a good idea. Good Swiss or Goex is the only way to go on these. Using smokeless in these seems a lot like putting ketchup on apple pie.
Shooting sticks are traditional as well.
I do have about 80 good 45-90 cases, so I think I'm good for a bit. These old buffalo rifles are way too cool to me.

My old Centennial is a prize to me. I just love that old thing. Slick as goose shit out of a gosling.
Old October 14, 2017, 09:41   #11
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Black Powder is not big in my AO and GOEX is about all I can find. I have heard Swiss is very good and another with an elephant on the can, forget the name.

I hate washing cases so I will admit the FFG is mostly burned in a .50 cal. Hawken while the 45-70 and 90 gets fired with SR4759 and IMR 3031 or 4895 in them.
But, a big ole Sharps 45-90 burning Black Powder and 500 grain bullets just sounds right.

I have a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70 with a fast twist that will shoot the big bullets, but approaching 1800fps with a Lyman 457193 420gr. slug starts getting uncomfortable in a rifle that light. I have a 405 grn. JSP load that is near 2100fps just in case an Elephant invades my cabbage patch. It is not a pleasant load and only fired after a big bowl of Wheaties or a steak and egg breakfast. So far my cabbages are unmolested by any Elephant.

Would like to see pics of your new shooter.
Old October 14, 2017, 12:25   #12
hardass
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 21749
HOLY BLACK

http://www.mainepowderhouse.com/

This ought to be near your A.O.

I use Grafs house label and Schuetzen 2F in my .50 Great Plains Rifle and 1 of my "I"talian Sharps.[that's one in my avatar]. I usually get both from Grafs. The Grafs brand is re-labled Schuetzen powder.

I also use 4198, Varget and Herco in my other. 12grn's of Herco behind a 405grn cast is so soft to shoot, my youngest grandkids can shoot all morning.[9 &7 yrs old]

Last edited by hardass; October 14, 2017 at 12:33.
hardass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2017, 16:49   #13
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Pics will be coming as soon as it arrives. Just got back from a bit of fun with friends and some old west stuff.
The 1860 steel Henry is a pleasure, but apart it comes. .44-40 reloads with Swiss makes a mess in those.
Wife took my 66 from me. Being Indian, she loves it's beat up self with conchos. She tied some feathers to it for effect.
A buddy suggested I buy her a 6 pack of hatchets but I think not. The little hair I have now will stay intact.
He just picked up a Browning/Winchester lever, and good Lord is that thing slick.

My 72 open top and 58 with conversion cylinder got all mucked up too. They're soaring in dishwater now.

All in all a fun day. Next week is big bore day. Larry's Hawken, my '74 if it's here, my .45-70 lever, and Rick's Sharps .45-70 will play at 200 yds. That's all the room we got.
Hell, I know nothing. I just found out that what I thought was a Centennial 76 is actually an 86. I know nussink!

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; October 14, 2017 at 20:50.
Old October 14, 2017, 23:44   #14
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

You has got to be a complete Pilgrim to mistake a 86 for a 76!

That's funny, but I'll give ya a break being an ex-Canadian and all.

The farm I spent a lot of my fledgling days on bordered New Brunswick. There wasn't any markings or fence and we wandered back and forth at will. If we did go to the official crossing, some of my cousins were Canadian Border Guards and we just waved and shouted hello as we passed through. Definitely not that way now, times sure have changed things.

What model Brown/Win did your buddy get? I had forgotten about my Browning 1886 in 45-70. Made by Mirikou I'm sure. It is a good shooter, but the hammer spring is a coil type unlike the leaf spring of the John Browning design of the Winchester. This gives the hammer a somewhat mushy feeling, but that's about the only complaint I have.

hardass;
Thanks, had known about the place, it's several hours drive south for me. I have been in the area many times, but never visited the place or know where it's located. Have to look it up next time. The Cannon's like they would be an expensive hoot. $20 per shot?

I like SR 4759 for light loads in the big cases because it the powder takes up a lot of space for the light charge it uses. The stuff is getting harder to find now. I hear Trailboss does a good job, haven't tried it as yet.
Old October 15, 2017, 21:46   #15
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
I had an IAB Gardone Sharps long ago.

I recently purchased another one off GB, 28" in 45-70.

IAB are the bottom of the line of Italian Sharps, but they work well. Matt finish on the bbl, but nice wood and a case hardened action.

According to what I learned long ago, the Gardone Valley in Italy where Pedersoli, Pietta, Armi San Marco,Beretta, Uberti, etc are all located, are set up to share work on orders, like subcontractors.

One shop made all the Sharps barrels, another the wood, another the actions and another did the metal finishing according to the order. They are all the same gun with different finishes and options.
Pretty much everyone works there like in a guild, and the rest of the clones--rifles, pistols, etc get similar treatment from the job shops.

I used to load 37-40 g of RL7 or 4895 in my 45-70. It kept the velocity of a 300 or a 400 grain slug down to tolerable levels 1300-1500.

You can load bp to 70 grains pretty well, but above 70 or so, in a 45-90, the velocity flattens out, with little gain.

It is all about the nostalgia.
I have a '66 yellowboy, but shoot Ruger Vaqueros for reliability. I will however get a couple new Uberti made Richards TII Transitions; they are just too cool.
My Chaparrel 1876, 45-60 shoots just fine, too.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2017, 09:01   #16
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Had one. Loved it. Unfortunately, in re-evaluating my priorities, I dropped .45-70 and sold all my guns in that caliber. Now that I have less guns but am completely debt free including the house, I may restore my collection. My priorities restricted it to military significant only.

Mine was the Quigly style (Pedersoli), but in .45-70 (I think his was .45-90 or .45-100)

From a purely recreational perspective. The sharps is neat. If you reload, consider a shorter carbine like the cavalry - and load it to 55g equivalent rather than 70. 'Cause the sharps is just freaking heavy. Another awesome rifle I hope to buy again is the colt double rifle (reproduction).

Coincidentally, I was at at Fort Verde on Saturday and checking out some of their stuff - including the 1st & second model Allin Converson on the 1863 musket.

There was one Confederate breach loading cannon that really amazed me, as I thought I knew my guns. That it may be one of only 4 in existence gives me slight consolation.
Old October 17, 2017, 09:33   #17
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Had one. Loved it. Unfortunately, in re-evaluating my priorities, I dropped .45-70 and sold all my guns in that caliber. Now that I have less guns but am completely debt free including the house, I may restore my collection. My priorities restricted it to military significant only.

Mine was the Quigly style (Pedersoli), but in .45-70 (I think his was .45-90 or .45-100)

From a purely recreational perspective. The sharps is neat. If you reload, consider a shorter carbine like the cavalry - and load it to 55g equivalent rather than 70. 'Cause the sharps is just freaking heavy. Another awesome rifle I hope to buy again is the colt double rifle (reproduction).

Coincidentally, I was at at Fort Verde on Saturday and checking out some of their stuff - including the 1st & second model Allin Converson on the 1863 musket.

There was one Confederate breach loading cannon that really amazed me, as I thought I knew my guns. That it may be one of only 4 in existence gives me slight consolation.

34", .45-110, with a 540gr. paper patched bullet

"An experimental weapon with an experimental ammunition"
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2017, 14:18   #18
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Agreed on the priorities thing. I finally have less than a year left on my mortgage, and 3 years on my business loan, but expect it paid in full within a year. Things are finally looking up here. It's a good feeling indeed.

I love shooting these old smoke poles. The looks un the uneducated when you ring a piece of steel 1000 yards away with what, to them, is a rifle built before Moses walked the Earth is priceless.

Mine is .45-90. Can anyone here tell me if paper patching will do any real good with .45-90? It seems like it'll be a bit of an overkill here. I usually roll my own, BRW.
Old October 17, 2017, 21:03   #19
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=19736
http://www.garrettcartridges.com/penetration.html

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...p?topic=1897.0

45-90 can get into the .458 win mag ballistics.

Modern Sharps and the rest of the clones are made of modern steel but do have limits far above the original guns.

Plenty of hot 45-60,45-70 and 45-90 loads do not approach 30,000 psi. Going over that is definitely into bolt action territory.

That funny info about big bullet velocity and penetration, inverse, from above, is counter-intutive, but may explain all those dead buffalo!
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017, 12:17   #20
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post
I love shooting these old smoke poles. The looks un the uneducated when you ring a piece of steel 1000 yards away with what, to them, is a rifle built before Moses walked the Earth is priceless.

Mine is .45-90. Can anyone here tell me if paper patching will do any real good with .45-90? It seems like it'll be a bit of an overkill here. I usually roll my own, BRW.
Yes, and no. Depends, sort of, ya know.

PP have a valid reason for their use, that being, it keeps the bullets clean and allows the use of softer lead bullets at higher velocity. Important considerations for game hunting.
Because the patch keeps any part of the lead bullet from touching the bore, leading is nearly eliminated. Accuracy is generally improved, but the barrel needs to in excellent condition with a smooth bearing surface.

Disadvantages is that the PP bullet is some .008" smaller in dia. than normal so requires a special mold.
The patches must be cut to exact size with 25% rag bond or other suitable paper, wetted, attached to the bullet with care, dried, lubed and loaded. After this, the cartridges have to be handled with care so the patch is not damaged.

In short, it's a lot of work. If loads in the <1600fps suit you, standard cast bullets will be fine.

A buddy and I have run 330gr .458 bullets thru a .450" sizer die , then wrapped them with enough Masking tape to bump them up to .459". Sprayed with Teflon and dried before loading, we could get an estimated 1800fps with no leading. Accuracy was no better however and we got tired of wrapping bullets.
Old October 18, 2017, 17:03   #21
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Well, that about answers it. I'm not game hunting with it, come to think of it, the only game I shoot are hogs with my C1 and sometimes with a Smith .357 revolver..

This will be like the old one I had, as in a silhouette rifle from sticks.
It has the standard Sharps twist, which is a might high for those high velocity bullets. I intend to stay around the 500 gr range and use it like a hot rodded 45-70.
Or such are my intentions at this time. With the Sharps twist in the barrel, I think the options are pretty good as to what you can run, so I caught a break there I guess.