The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old September 15, 2017, 15:58   #1
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
Just plain stupid in my opinion

I went to a nearby Long John Silvers for lunch today. While eating my Friday ration of fish I noticed a middle aged man walk in with a holstered handgun on his right hip and next to it was a shiny badge. He walked by my booth and I saw that the badge was one of those "Certified Concealed Weapon" pieces of pot metal that I have seen advertised on some of the gun forums. The pistol looked to be a Glock 26 or 27.

Now this is just my own personal opinion on the subject but I think that it is stupid go around advertising the fact that you are armed. I wonder what would happen if a police officer on or off duty saw that badge next to the gun. He might get the idea that this person is impersonating a police officer and decide to jack up the idiot with the badge and gun.

As I have posted before I do have a Indiana Life Time CHL and carry whenever I leave the house. Concealed and no stupid badge either. Maybe the idiot with the badge and gun was just one of those attention whores I read about from time to time.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2017, 16:11   #2
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
I agree.

Open carry is a risk, but add a fake badge and it's even worse, with all the anti-cop madness going on in the nation.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2017, 16:15   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post

Maybe the idiot with the badge and gun was just one of those attention whores I read about from time to time.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
About sums it up. Was he wearing boots and a cowboy hat?

Anybody know if Martin headed north for a few days looking for reds?

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2017, 16:30   #4
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
"Certified Concealed Weapon"
I'm unsure if having a gold badge announcing "concealed carry" is an oxymoron or just a regular, everyday moron. Probably both I suspect
Old September 15, 2017, 19:08   #5
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Sometimes I open carry because I'm busy doing stuff and don't feel like being bothered to cover up. Maybe people will become desensitized over a full growned up citizen carrying a pistol. Or not. I'll do as I please. I don't bother with a tin badge, but not bothered by one either. If a cop loses his shit that's his shortcoming.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2017, 20:03   #6
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I agree.

Open carry is a risk, but add a fake badge and it's even worse, with all the anti-cop madness going on in the nation.
Not that I would ever a) open carry (unless a rifle at port arms) or b) have a fake badge for concealed carry BUT I would imagine that seeing a badge next to a gun might stop some panicky poo poo head from calling the cops to report "a man carrying a gun". Does the benefit outweigh the risk and general idiocy? No. But I can see where someone may use it as a ploy...
Old September 15, 2017, 20:22   #7
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Nobody calls the cops if that gun is concealed and, as has been alluded, you just put a big target on your back for a significant segment of society

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2017, 21:01   #8
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
I carry like I live , incognito .
Old September 15, 2017, 21:43   #9
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Come out here, 10 gallon hats, full regalia cowboy get ups, tall boots, Mexican heavy stitched gun belts, with chrome plated Colt 45's, gets into a beat to shit Honda Civic while at Walmart!
Old September 15, 2017, 22:47   #10
edporch
Registered

FALaholic #: 12834
Those Concealed Carry badges are about the most idiotic thing I've seen in awhile.
They serve no positive purpose and make the one wearing it look like somebody who's trying to play cop.

As to open or concealed carry, I personally prefer concealed carry, but if somebody chooses to open carry it's their choice.
"Property Tax", my FAVORITE oxymoron
edporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2017, 09:11   #11
d762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 73390
The element of surprise is lost when out in the open. Heck someone can come up behind you and grab your gun if you not on your toes about it. I like the surprise method myself. Cops are shot with their own weapon at times same thing can happen to civilians when carrying out in the open.
d762nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2017, 12:28   #12
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
All these comments me think again about alaska, you can open carry and up there at least can argue that its hard to conceal a 44 or larger caliber handgun and if you did,it would be hard to draw against a grizzlie or pissed off moose

i would almost see carrying a glock or 1911 more out of place unless you live and stay in the towns.. towards the boonies,big guns please...

My desert ego and me would fit right in.....mostly...btw, love shooting that brick
EinheitElf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2017, 12:36   #13
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
Gray man for me.
Old September 16, 2017, 13:47   #14
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Tussell View Post
Gray man for me.
yep, got my homeless long coat all dirtied up riding in the back of my Jeep, just in case, can hide a ton of crap under that thing and never get a second look from anyone in this country.
add a dirty ball cap, got plenty of those, you become invisible.
Old September 17, 2017, 15:52   #15
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
It amazes me every time I see someone open carrying and the holster is some cheap 5 dollar gun show special. I mean if you are going to show off that you are armed at least have the self respect to have a descent holster and quality pistol.
PARA FN FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2017, 19:11   #16
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
Some people will carry just about any old clunker if that is all that they can afford to buy.

Case in point. A neighbor's 22 year old son decided to apply for the state's CHL and got it. He then purchased a beat up looking Chinese Tokarev chambered in 9mm Luger. He carried it in a cheap "chocolate chip" camo nylon holster. I asked him what he was using for a carry load. It was some nasty half corroded Egyptian FMJ that frankly I doubted would even fire. It came with the pistol. I asked if he had shot the Tok to see if it worked okay. The answer was no of course. So I did my good deed for the day. I swapped him some Winchester USA white box 9mm 115 grain FMJ for the Egyptian rounds.

Oh well, if he was happy then I guess that was good enough.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2017, 19:25   #17
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
"Badges?!! We don't need no stinkin' badges!!"

-Treasure of Sierra Madre
-Blazing Saddles

The first C in CCW stand for concealed, wonder if that 'stroke' had any idea.
pistolero1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017, 13:30   #18
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
I had a customer that did it. Landscaper. His dovetail was getting robbed at every job he stopped at. I dont know if open carry changed anyone's mind when he got out of the truck but I understood his frustration.

I will say that every time he walked in, all eyes were on him and his giant Uncle Mike's holster. Nothing has ever convinced me that the attention would be worth doing that in public.

I "open carry" on my farm. The deer and squirrels dont seem to mind.
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017, 13:41   #19
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Yep... badges mean 2 things, "jack" and "$#!+."

I do OC on occasion though. When it's 98 degrees with 100% humidity CC is a pain. That DOES mean, however, a retention holster than someone can't just pull out. Anyone that tries is getting an elbow at best and a switchblade or shot with a bug at worst.

As far as being a target goes though it sounds reasonable, but show me one case where a bad guy chose to try to take out the carrier, rather than just going somewhere else? Generally the OC types have some level of training, and bad guys want a score to be easy. While generally "criminalz iz stoooopid," they mostly are lazy and choose victims as such.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017, 14:09   #20
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
"They" made a huge thing out of legalizing open carry here in Texas a couple years ago. Many of my friends and acquaintances were elated that they could finally strap a gun on their hip and walk around in public like Billy-Badass. My old local sheriff though, and I agree with him, tactfully came out against open carry for several reasons I felt were valid (many have been named above already). I bought a Glock 43 and easily concealable holster that I can comfortably and easily conceal while wearing shorts in the summer time. Although I can legally carry openly, I do not because I subscribe to the "gray man" belief. Two years out from legalization, I don't see anybody else carrying openly either, other than the police and the occasional security guard. It's like it was a great idea! And it sounded great on paper! And we had to have it! But now that we got it, nobody really makes use of it...

But, if the gentleman the alluded to in the OP's post above with the dime store badge wishes to carry openly and make a target of himself, that is his legal right and may he exercise it to his fullest satisfaction. I just really hope he's prepared to deal with the full weight of the consequences should he ever need to exercise his rights. Some licensees are prepared; however many are not. I'm not sure which end of the spectrum the badge toting members of the tribe fall into.

And so it goes.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017, 16:12   #21
chet
Registered

The biggest upside to open carry law changes is not having to worry about printing or accidentally showing a concealed firearm. Glad all the chatter about that "liability" has blown over.
Old September 19, 2017, 12:31   #22
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I love the handwringers that harp about open carry. Liberty is scary.

I open carry whenever I feel like it. Around here, no gives a shit.
Old September 19, 2017, 13:56   #23
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I love the handwringers that harp about open carry. Liberty is scary.
BULLSEYE!!!
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017, 14:18   #24
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by d762nato View Post
The element of surprise is lost when out in the open. Heck someone can come up behind you and grab your gun if you not on your toes about it. I like the surprise method myself. Cops are shot with their own weapon at times same thing can happen to civilians when carrying out in the open.
very few people know how retention holsters work or how to get a service belt off. but with the cost of shooting negros as high as it is, it's easier to just avoid the confrontation.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017, 14:37   #25
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
=justashooter;4480252 but with the cost of shooting negros as high as it is, it's easier to just avoid the confrontation.
Just. Damn.
Old September 19, 2017, 15:11   #26
K-fal58
Registered

FALaholic #: 72037
Just a Shooter you are awesome. Finally someone with some balls and not worried about political correctness.
K-fal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017, 20:00   #27
douglas
Registered

FALaholic #: 22985
I don't mind it at all.

While the open carry crew is getting all shot to hell by the bad guy(s) doing bad things this will allow me, the gray man time to draw from concealment and place my shots before exiting stage left.
Old September 20, 2017, 05:14   #28
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
I think open carry is a TERRIBLE tactical loss.

But (after years of making fun of them...) I can actually see why someone who would make the poor tactical decision to open carry might not be Ill advised to wear one of those dumb badges.

As someone said.... It'll make it far less likely someone will freak out and call the cops about "a man with a gun"
Old September 20, 2017, 12:27   #29
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
As someone said.... It'll make it far less likely someone will freak out and call the cops about "a man with a gun"
When this happens in real America, the cops quickly disregard the complaint.

Buncha nancys around here. Carry how you want and stop trying to give a shit about how others are carrying; it ain't gonna make a damn bit of difference.
Old September 21, 2017, 23:24   #30
STG_58_guy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 65886
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
Yep... badges mean 2 things, "jack" and "$#!+."

I do OC on occasion though. When it's 98 degrees with 100% humidity CC is a pain. That DOES mean, however, a retention holster than someone can't just pull out. Anyone that tries is getting an elbow at best and a switchblade or shot with a bug at worst.

As far as being a target goes though it sounds reasonable, but show me one case where a bad guy chose to try to take out the carrier, rather than just going somewhere else? Generally the OC types have some level of training, and bad guys want a score to be easy. While generally "criminalz iz stoooopid," they mostly are lazy and choose victims as such.
I recall a case where two bandits shot a cop, then ran into a Walmart. A man and a women. A CCW guy drew on one of the bandits but was shot and killed by the other who he was not aware of. Not exactly the case you're looking for and I might have some details wrong. But I read about it here. Maybe 3 years ago. Or 4.
STG_58_guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2017, 09:23   #31
chet
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by STG_58_guy View Post
I recall a case where two bandits shot a cop, then ran into a Walmart. A man and a women. A CCW guy drew on one of the bandits but was shot and killed by the other who he was not aware of. Not exactly the case you're looking for and I might have some details wrong. But I read about it here. Maybe 3 years ago. Or 4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Las_Vegas_shootings

The CCW failed to identify all the assailants involved and, terribly, it cost him his life.

The incident is valid to the extent that the shooters specifically picked out the officers because they could visually ID them and then ambushed them, killed them, and took their weapons.

Criminals arent necessarily frightened by holstered weapons and condition white carriers. In fact, it might attract them:

Old September 22, 2017, 11:26   #32
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
Just. Damn.
Well, thinking about it, by the numbers, who are we most likely to encounter as an armed assailant?

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2017, 12:47   #33
chet
Registered

Yeah, that's what he was referring to. Statistical analysis. That poster is known for his in depth statistical analysis.
Old September 23, 2017, 21:54   #34
gunseller
Registered

FALaholic #: 10120
While hunting or in the field it is open carry. While in town it is concealed carry. Also in town I dress just better than a homeless person. OC in town. Who does the bad guy shoot first? The guy with the gun. I do not want to be the guy shot first.
Steve
gunseller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2017, 11:57   #35
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
Quote:

Now this is just my own personal opinion on the subject but I think that it is stupid go around advertising the fact that you are armed. I wonder what would happen if a police officer on or off duty saw that badge next to the gun. He might get the idea that this person is impersonating a police officer and decide to jack up the idiot with the badge and gun.

Maybe the idiot with the badge and gun was just one of those attention whores I read about from time to time.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Why would someone announce to the world that he is an immature jackass with a sidearm to boot? The purpose of a concealed weapon is CONCEALED carry, only to be revealed in extremis.. This jack-off was carrying openly and advertising that he is a "Licensed concealed carrier"??? Playing cop. Those stupid badges make the rest of us look bad, IMO. They also make the wearer a target if things go south... I never carry openly unless Im hunting or in the woods, but that's me... YMMV
This sort of person is exactly the type that shouldnt have a ccw. Maybe he was open-carrying because he doesnt yet have his ccw paperwork.
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats
STGThndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2017, 16:53   #36
Glucker
Registered

FALaholic #: 12384
As my fellow Houstonian said in his comment above, when it is 98° and 98%, carrying concealed sometimes just sucks too much. I'm not wearing a wool jacket to marginally conceal a real pistol, and going about with no more than my NAA.22 revolver in my back pocket is no longer acceptable.
That said, when I'm wearing my lawyer clothes, i.e. slacks with tucked in dress shirt and tie, I carry my Glock 19 in a Glock made Austrian police holster that sits about mid thigh. 99%+ of the people I pass while out and about don't even see my middle age ass, much less the pistol.
When in normal clothes, either jeans or jean shorts and an untucked polo or similar shirt, said Glock 19 resides IWB, in front of my stomach and indiscernable to all except maybe an experienced Secret Service agent.