Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old August 07, 2018, 17:37   #1
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Bula Defense Systems .450 bushmaster XM21

First XM21 out in .450 bushmaster followed me home from Camp Perry this year. Looking forward to putting some " big lead" down range.
There is a spare VXR-Patrol in 1.25 - 4 that is just itching to top of this big girl.

RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 07, 2018, 23:53   #2
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
Wow,thats gonna be a thumper!! I have just dipped my toes in the m14/1A pond by buying the bula xm21 with tbe 16inch barrel off lear70 a few weeks ago. Wont be shooting it til i get a scope for it though.

Do post results please.
EinheitElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 08, 2018, 08:36   #3
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Very nice Art but that tipton vise is way too clean for a busy builder like you.

Range reports please.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 08, 2018, 10:15   #4
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
Very nice Art but that tipton vise is way too clean for a busy builder like you.

Range reports please.
You wouldn't say that about the Tipton if you saw it up close. That thing has been out to my shop for pressure washing and decontamination more times than I can count. Probably in excess of 3500 rifle cleanings and many barrels being reamed for headspace have sat on it and been better for it.
The vise is getting pretty ragged around the corners but still gets the job done.
Popped a spare Leupy 1.25 - 4 on her this morning. I think it will cut the mustard.

RVN 67-68
Old August 08, 2018, 21:35   #5
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
You wouldn't say that about the Tipton if you saw it up close. That thing has been out to my shop for pressure washing and decontamination more times than I can count. Probably in excess of 3500 rifle cleanings and many barrels being reamed for headspace have sat on it and been better for it.
The vise is getting pretty ragged around the corners but still gets the job done.
Popped a spare Leupy 1.25 - 4 on her this morning. I think it will cut the mustard.
Just funning with you Art but I owed you that one from when you commented on the "cleanliness" of my Tipton in a photo I posted on the 14 forum a month or so ago.

Nice wood on the new 14 by the way. I'll be watching for your range report.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2018, 16:54   #6
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Got my first case of Hornady ammo for Miss Thumper today.
Hopefully, in the next few day she will visit the range and have a little fun.
While I am at it there's a bunch of prepped Starlite brass in the dryer in the shop. Got the powder, bullets and primers ready to whip up a batch tomorrow afternoon.

RVN 67-68
Old August 16, 2018, 12:25   #7
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Ammo and bullet comparison side by side.

Mouse gun on left, next .450 then 6.5 then .308.
ARs are available with uppers for .450 While M14s are good to go with .450, 6.5 and .308.
Other calibers are available , but these are mine and I am sticking to it.

RVN 67-68
Old August 16, 2018, 13:07   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
Just funning with you Art but I owed you that one from when you commented on the "cleanliness" of my Tipton in a photo I posted on the 14 forum a month or so ago.

Nice wood on the new 14 by the way. I'll be watching for your range report.
Glad you add "new 14" after your nice wood comment. Couldn't resist that, move along folks, nothing to see here....
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 16:35   #9
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

A bit of time availed itself this afternoon so I had an opportunity to get to know the thumper just a little. I would like to compliment Josh at Bula Defense for a super job of building this fine rifle for me.
Also I would like to thank Wayne the owner of Bula Forge for assisting Josh in fitting the handguard over this monster barrel. Well done guys, the teamwork was enjoyable to watch.

This photo show the .450 bushmaster barrel next to a USGI H&R. I think the bushmaster is more of a lolly collum than any barrel I have been used to.

RVN 67-68
Old August 17, 2018, 16:39   #10
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Checked headspace with brandy new Pacific Tool and Guage gear.
First photo if field guage.

No/Go

Then the one we look for, the "Go" guage. Bout time huh?

RVN 67-68
Old August 17, 2018, 16:42   #11
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

This was the fun part and a learning experience to boot.
Used 20 rnds of Hornady 450 Bushmaster 250 gr FTX for my first date with thumper. Not disappointed , but a little surprised that the recoil was not as significant as expected. That's a good thing.
As with every XM21 I have put together , the scope I moved to this new rifle was dead on for windage but about 8" low at a hundred after firing M118 in the last rifle it was mounted on.
4 shots got me up into the 4" siting box without a problem where it did a reasonable 2" group.
Target photo is of the second target. Hits started at the top and walked down 5" as the barrel carboned up and the lead slowed down. The shot 1.5" to the right was on the 7th shot and called. So it appears that the bushmaster likes a clean barrel, as least to start with. We will see how it works after breakin.
So, a 5" drop in elevation after 20 rnds rapid fire ain't that bad for a supposed hunting rifle.

RVN 67-68
Old September 01, 2018, 14:22   #12
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Well, it took a little time to get back to the Bushmaster but managed to get out and shoot some this afternoon.
Shot 2 Dirty bird 10 rnd targets at 100 yds. 1 target 97-3x the other 97-5x.
All I need to do now is figure out why the first shot out of every mag is at 8 oclock in the 8 ring. Almost identical shot placement for the first rnd out of every mag. Other than that and watching out for the scope during recoil, this animal is a blast.
Using Hornady 250 gr FTX moving at 2200 fps, this critter lets you know when you pull the trigger. Sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of this Thumper.

RVN 67-68
Old September 08, 2018, 12:41   #13
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
I've got .45 Cal rifleitis real bad and you aren't helping.
Gave up begging a buddy to let me shoot his 450 bushy AR. Offered to compensate with bountiful amounts of 450 bushy ammo but he continues to refuse to unchain the beast from its cage. Oh well.
Old October 14, 2018, 10:56   #14
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Took the thumper completely apart, cleaned and re-assembled.
Shot 20 rnds. First 5 were aimed at center. Slightly high and right.
Adjusted scope and ran full mag 15 rnds rapid at lower right. I think she is ready of any North American game.
Scope is Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25 - 4 mounted with QRW rings. Not exactly a target scope. Might even give the 10 dot a shot with this set up.

RVN 67-68
Old October 14, 2018, 17:52   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Try some boron nitride coating on your projectiles and first round will land in the group. It works for me and is the "secret" to first shot cold bore kills.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018, 19:05   #16
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Thanks for the information.
RVN 67-68
Old October 15, 2018, 07:47   #17
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Try some boron nitride coating on your projectiles and first round will land in the group. It works for me and is the "secret" to first shot cold bore kills.
That's interesting. I've been using boron nitride for 28 years but not for that application. I've never heard of hex boron nitride.
PBN (pyrolytic boron nitride) is a refractory ceramic used for crucibles in molecular beam epitaxy. Metals melted in a PBN crucible maintain their purity.
PBN crucibles are like eggshells, will crack and delaminate. Heat them up high enough though they will start to break down and disassociate nitrogen. Don't ask me how I know...
We been using tungsten disulfide for decades to dry lubricate bearings and sliding surfaces in ultra high vacuum chambers as it works better than moly disulfide. Using pure isopropyl alcohol as a carrier for super fine powdered tungsten disulfide we drench the parts, let them dry and use them. Works great, is cheap and a little bit goes a long way. Have often though about using it for bullet/bore coating.
Will need to look into the HBN some. Thanks for posting that.
Old October 16, 2018, 12:02   #18
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Ammo and bullet comparison side by side.

Mouse gun on left, next .450 then 6.5 then .308.
ARs are available with uppers for .450 While M14s are good to go with .450, 6.5 and .308.
Other calibers are available , but these are mine and I am sticking to it.

I'm surprised you don't have an M-14 clone in .243 Winchester and 7mm - 08. In addition to these calibers, Springfield Armory of Geneseo also made some in .358 Winchester but the larger bullets (> 173 gr) were destroying the gas system, op-rod, bolts and receivers, so they stopped making them. I imagine a .260 Remington M-14 would make a good hunting rifle too.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2018, 14:16   #19
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Just hit 70 yrs old today. I think I have enough different calibers to keep me for a time. That is unless Bula comes out with something new. Then I would consider another possibility.
RVN 67-68
Old October 17, 2018, 09:06   #20
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Just hit 70 yrs old today. I think I have enough different calibers to keep me for a time. That is unless Bula comes out with something new. Then I would consider another possibility.
Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AND MANY MORE!

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is online now   Reply With Quote