The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old August 31, 2018, 06:31   #1
Registered

FALaholic #: 8922
Another question on the BM-59

Clearing an estate. Found a gunsmith-special build of a wannabe '59.
Guy took a '43 Springfield receiver, hogged out the stock, stuck in an M-14 trigger group(Winchester) added a few hand-built internal parts and had himself a wanna-be. Barrel and op-rod shortened. Gun appears to be functional - haven't taken it to the range yet.
Question for RKI's is what is the value. I own a Berretta-built gun but don't have a clue as to how to value this one. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018, 07:22   #2
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
Any markings on it? Does it use BM59 or M14 magazines? There's a LOT of variations out there, from the excellent 'Bland' (the gunsmith's name) conversions to the 'Santa Fe' M59 - which are oftentimes re-welds with '2-piece' barrels made from demil'ed Garand stubs screwed together with 2-groove 03A3 barrels. Pix?

Eli
AliYahu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018, 15:10   #3
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Iíd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of $1k but with a few ďhandmade parts,Ē who knows? That would be enough to turn me off of it as a complete rifle.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018, 18:03   #4
Orlando8
Registered

FALaholic #: 38748
May be only worth sum of parts, reciver may be worthless, all depends on who built it and if they knew what the were doing
Orlando8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018, 18:52   #5
AZ Deuce
Registered

FALaholic #: 40828
I picked up a similar one about 2 years ago, got it for the opening bid, off gunBroker, it used M14 magazines, but had an original UNCUT Garand receiver, my original plan was to have the machining finished so that it would take BM59 mags. But about this time my machinest finished up my BM59, and I was happy, so it was just taking up room in the safe.

I knew there were issues because the price was reasonable, but I Never met a Garand/BM59/M14 that I couldn't get running (within reason!!) So I bought it. It wouldn't feed, wouldn't eject properly...and it wasn't a gas problem. They were using a standard Garand bolt, I replaced it with a BM59 bolt, checked headspace and she started to run pretty good but not 100%

It would take me an hour to write out all that I had to do to this rifle to get her to work, but I decided I wanted something different than anyone else had. I saw on Google Images a M14 magazine fed tanker Garand that had been shoe horned into a a synthetic M14 stock, it had the standard Garand gas system with a T-37 flash hider, lt looked pretty cool. It did have an ugly carry handle sticking thru the modified M14 plastic HG, I'm pretty sure it was from a Nigerian BM59 squad auto version. Like we say about FALs, it's a rifle not a purse, so mine would not have a carry handle!

So I bought a M14 synthetic stock and HG, and studied it, my BM59, the M14 mag fed Tanker, and my M14, then one free Saturday I began mutilating the stock with a 4" Makita grinder with a cut off wheel, and a Dremmel tool. Several hours later I could fit the mag fed Tanker into the M14 stock.

I was going to use a M14 trigger housing modified with a Garand trigger guard so I could use it in the Tanker's Garand receiver. This worked but for some reason my mag was to low and some times it would fail to feed. My fix, was using a BM59 trigger housing with the BM59 mag latch slightly shortened, then I cut off the legs on both sides of the opening for the magazine to M14 dimensions so it would mate up with the M14 stock.

She now ran 100%, so I modified the HG to fit, added a Standard Parts "BM62" Type gas cylinder and a real deal BM62 solid muzzle device. I call her the BM64...part Bm59/62, and M14. I just got her running two weeks ago, I haven't decided yet whether I will add a BM59 receiver mounted stripper clip guide....but I bet at some point I do. It's like the finishing touch for me.

So all of that to say this, if it doesn't work right, check the bolt first, simply ditching the Garand bolt for a BM59 bolt has done the trick on two of these "home brewed" BM type wannabes for me.

Life ain't fair, but it sure gets interesting sometimes!
AZ Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018, 19:53   #6
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
Tanker Garand that uses M14 Mags?

I WANT ONE!!!
sniperdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018, 20:04   #7
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post

I WANT ONE!!!

https://youtu.be/SkjTOHFbQLg

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018, 20:31   #8
Registered

Yeah this one uses M-14 mags. The trigger group is an M-14(O-M) stuffed into a Garand trigger guard. The receiver has been modified to use the '59 bolt release and has a few other mods to make things fit.
So I guess somewhere in the $1K region IF it goes bang and feeds at the range?
Old August 31, 2018, 22:19   #9
AZ Deuce
Registered

On mine (yours may differ) the M14 mag sits further to the rear, so it would not engage properly with the BM59 bolt release lever, I may have to see if Shuff would sell one of his, but for expedience, I just cut the protruding piece off so my bolt release does nothing but fill the slot in the side of the receiver.

The bolt DOES lock open on the last round so I know it's empty, but when I remove the mag the bolt goes home. No big deal, but it could be better.

Old September 02, 2018, 08:13   #10
AliYahu
Registered

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post

I WANT ONE!!!
Shuff has been building them to spec for several years now: http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/mag-fed-garand/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0007 View Post
Yeah this one uses M-14 mags. The trigger group is an M-14(O-M) stuffed into a Garand trigger guard. The receiver has been modified to use the '59 bolt release and has a few other mods to make things fit.
So I guess somewhere in the $1K region IF it goes bang and feeds at the range?
This was 'the way' they were done 'back in the day' - could be anything from perfect runner to junk. BM59 bolt hold-opens were designed for the Garand - the BM59 was smartly designed to be rebuilt from a Garand - so a lot of them found their way into a variety of detachable magazine conversions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Deuce View Post
On mine (yours may differ) the M14 mag sits further to the rear, so it would not engage properly with the BM59 bolt release lever, I may have to see if Shuff would sell one of his, but for expedience, I just cut the protruding piece off so my bolt release does nothing but fill the slot in the side of the receiver.

The bolt DOES lock open on the last round so I know it's empty, but when I remove the mag the bolt goes home. No big deal, but it could be better.
On the older conversions - including Shuff's - the BM59 BHO was not automatic as it was in the BM59; but the bolt would be held rearward from hitting the magazine follower.
Shuff now offers a custom-designed BHO that works with M14 magazines in the modified Garand receiver.

Where's the pictures?

Eli

Last edited by AliYahu; September 02, 2018 at 10:42. Reason: Corrected punctuation for clarity
Old September 02, 2018, 08:41   #11
AZ Deuce
Registered

Eli Thanks for the tip on the bolt release lever, sorry no photos, no computer skills and no camera, maybe some day my son can take some for me.

Old September 03, 2018, 22:51   #12
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliYahu View Post
Shuff has been building them to spec for several years now: http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/mag-fed-garand/

This was 'the way' they were done 'back in the day' - could be anything from perfect runner to junk. BM59 bolt hold-opens were designed for the Garand - the BM59 was smartly designed to be rebuilt from a Garand - so a lot of them found their way into a variety of detachable magazine conversions.

On the older conversions - including Shuff's - the BM59 BHO was not automatic as it was in the BM59; but the bolt would be held rearward from hitting the magazine follower.
Shuff now offers a custom-designed BHO that works with M14 magazines in the modified Garand receiver.

Where's the pictures?

Eli

Man, Iíve been dreaming of one of his builds for awhile. Iíve got a 14 trade in the works now... will see how it goes. But man those bm59ís are sexy
Old September 04, 2018, 07:28   #13
AliYahu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFeod View Post
Man, I’ve been dreaming of one of his builds for awhile. I’ve got a 14 trade in the works now... will see how it goes. But man those bm59’s are sexy
I dreamed about an 'BM59E' a/k/a 'BM59SL' for years, since I saw Sarco advertising the parts kits back in the '90s.

I just noticed, it's my buildiversary! Three yeas since I built it!

I've been following these for years, and picked up spare parts here and there for cheap. The birch stock in the last picture and video came from the classifieds here, it's a T2 Garand stock (Italian 7.62 conversion, 1/2" shorter than standard) that I had The Stock Emporium modify for a BM59.
The receivers are expensive ($800+), but last a lot of rounds and there really isn't compliance parts to deal with like the FN FAL.

Eli

Last edited by AliYahu; September 04, 2018 at 07:36.
Old September 05, 2018, 20:58   #14
Registered

Thanks for the help here guys. Probably take it to the range this weekend and see if it goes bang, etc.
Old September 13, 2018, 21:57   #15
Registered

Well I didn't get to the range but I did try it in the shop bullet trap. Gun does not like the later crappy commercial mags. With an original GI mags five rounds no problem.
Now I just gotta figure how bad I want the damn thing - and take it to the range to see how close to the poa the bullets hit on the target at 100 yards