Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old August 08, 2018, 14:26   #1
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
USGI parts.

Just counted up the connector arms in a box in my workshop 495.
Yep USGI parts are getting scarce. Would this be considered hoarding?

RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2018, 16:26   #2
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
No
It's not hoarding until you need to add a room
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2018, 17:24   #3
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Nope, not hoarding, just a box of connector arms.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2018, 16:51   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
It's only hoarding if your family amd friends host an intervention. When it gets that bad call and I will help lighten your burden. If my wife not burned me yet your probably in the clear. If ever want to lighten that load would not mind having a couple or three so could start adding some USGI parts to my late model M1a's. Plan to add two more 6.5's and doubt I will need anymore M1a's. Have two Basics, one Standard, one Loaded, one National Match and one Super Match in 7.62 all but one purchased 25 to 33 years ago.

The one purchased used was older than my new units which came from of estate of gentleman who had purchased in 60's, had customized in 70's then put back after shooting less than 100 rounds. He had notebooks logging every shot and group fired from every high quality rifle down to weather and loads. Do want to add a 18" Scout Squad in the black synthetic stock and then do the basic improvements to help accuracy. 1 replace sights with National Match sights. 2 take trigger down to 3.25 to 3.5 pounds of slickness. 3 properly bed it. 4 is optional but a Shuster adjustable gas plug based on how brass looks once fire it with my proven loads across variety of rifles and work up a load for it.

Have shot my 6.5 Loaded enough to have a baseline so now it's time to do the basic improvements listed above minus the National Match sights which came on it and see how well it improves. Then want to buy a second 6.5 and then see how far can go with it or shop around for someone who offers a turnkey M1a in 6.5 with improvements want to have like a Kreiger, Douglas or similar quality barrel and a more tactical battle type stock with rock solid scope mounting system. Will probably ask a lot of questions.

I screwed up when diagnosed with cancer and sold way too many nice battle rifles as were bringing a decent price, trying to simplify estate for wife and pay medical bills. Was in first stages of pain management for broken back and neck as well thus not thinking as clearly as should have. Sold the rifles hardest and most expensive to replace rather than bulk selling common rifles. Both the M1a Basics were purchased when Bush Ban was announced quickly before real panic set in and dealer cut me a deal on the pair.

Took both to range and from bench with iron sights shot four, five shot groups from magazine with iron sights. One had a best group of 5/8" and worst group of 1 1/4" and other two were about 3/4". Was stunned and had a group of witnesses. The other fired four groups from magazine that best was 1 1/4", worst just under 2" and average was 1 5/8". Sent the worst one to smith who tore it down, reamed the barrel and flash hider to N.M. specs, polished chamber, lapped and head spaced bolt, deburred op rod and polished roller cam, did a trigger job, bedded, hand fitted the Springfield scope mount and bedded it. The rifle came back to me with all its original parts except scope and mount shooting an easy 1/2" unless operator screwed up.

Did basics to the other myself and it shoots about the same as the one spent a boat load of cash on labor from a known custom M1a smith on the factory parts. (about 25% of the rifles in my vaults have had good smiths basically blueprint or handfit them with nothing but their factory supplied parts and it really makes some shine) Others have mix of a few custom parts with a lot of hand fitting while some are total ground up custom builds for absolute accuracy. Thus far am happy with the box stock 6.5 Loaded except for trigger. Do want a second then send to a smith with a $1,500 budget or find a smith that offers a 6.5 semicustom package without buying a factory rifle and pitching a pile of parts in the junk box though spare parts are always nice to have.

The 6.5 is the first new Springfield have purchased since before the Bush Ban so going to need some guidance. May be totally off in my planned execution and commissioning a custom on a non Springfield receiver may be best option. Will need advice when the time comes, right now too many other projects to finish before start anything expensive. I have so many AR parts it's actually a real hoarding issue. Since have more battle rifles than able to really shoot till the 6.5 Creedmore became so popular really was coasting on battle rifles except adding FAL's to fill gaps left after the cancer sell off. Now am getting interested again but issue is local gun range is expensive and only has 200 yard rifle range. Closest range with real distance (1,000 yards) is a four hour round trip and not in a direction I go often for other stuff like work.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 14:44   #5
Atla
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79587
-scratches neck-

Got any of them op rods?

Old August 22, 2018, 20:38   #6
hawk7173
Registered

FALaholic #: 7930
Thanks to Art, that box of connector arms now resides at my home.
Thanks again Art!!!
Old August 22, 2018, 20:52   #7
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
That is a picture of some great stuff, but not really sure why anyone below battalion level would need a box of connector arms...
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2018, 05:43   #8
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk7173 View Post
Thanks to Art, that box of connector arms now resides at my home.
Thanks again Art!!!
You are welcome Sir. May need a few more kits after all.

RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2018, 19:04   #9
hawk7173
Registered

FALaholic #: 7930
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
That is a picture of some great stuff, but not really sure why anyone below battalion level would need a box of connector arms...
www.Sparrowhawkm14.com