The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Economics & Investing

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2017, 15:43   #51
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 14,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
Truthfully is there really any other kind? Or when we say 'economic war' do we really mean just 'economic shenanigans'? I'm kinda thinking if they're calling it a war, maybe it is. And if so we ought to treat it like one rather than just surrendering at the outset.

To letting stuff fall where it well, yep its gonna do that anyway only difference being that to my thinking anyway we will be better off when the real crap starts if we go earlier rather than later. Because we sure as shooting aren't getting anywhere the way we're going.
When we block all of our ports to all incoming goods, then we be in an economic war, until then, shit is what it always has been, just the way things are done.

The world rises and the world sinks, then repeats.
Today, we're on the sink side, maybe, but it will rise again.

As for the almighty dollar, less than 250 years old, Roman coins were used for how many centuries and then fell from grace.

Empires rise and fall, none gets through history intact, we're no different.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 11:49   #52
gates
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 129
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: phx az
Posts: 14,671
There's a reason economic wars turn into hot wars, stop the flow of goods and pretty soon there is civil unrest in China as the paychecks stop... same as it ever was. I'm fairly certain we're gonna have one hell of a world war in our lifetimes - maybe within the next 5-10 years...
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 12:57   #53
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 14,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
There's a reason economic wars turn into hot wars, stop the flow of goods and pretty soon there is civil unrest in China as the paychecks stop... same as it ever was. I'm fairly certain we're gonna have one hell of a world war in our lifetimes - maybe within the next 5-10 years...
My prediction is less than three years!
We have the excess manpower, people are out of work, financial situation is a bubble about to burst, too many people in the world,,,,,,etc.
Its been 70 years since the last one and the old timers are about gone, the ones that could remind people, don;t go down this road, it leads to death and destruction.
People wage war, when they forget about how bad war really is.
Time to add to the larder.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 14:25   #54
gates
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 129
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: phx az
Posts: 14,671
Yeah when's the last time we had total war - WWII? unless you can speak about the aftermath of a Dresden firebombing and what that does to the civvy population people really are not going to understand - the generation that experienced that is almost gone so I guess we get to re-live the mistake...
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 14:28   #55
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 14,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
Yeah when's the last time we had total war - WWII? unless you can speak about the aftermath of a Dresden firebombing and what that does to the civvy population people really are not going to understand - the generation that experienced that is almost gone so I guess we get to re-live the mistake...
One thing about history, it always repeats itself, time after time.
People never learn from the past.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 15:42   #56
gates
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 129
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: phx az
Posts: 14,671
I know it sounds a bit crazy but there may be a chance that advanced past civilizations on this planet have gotten to where we currently are (technologically) and followed the path we are getting ready to go down - I know, a bit "woo woo", and it shitcans our current understanding of religions - BUT... what if?
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 16:17   #57
tdb59
not really a gun guy
Bronze Contributor
 
tdb59's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 63177
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: I am here
Posts: 9,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
When we block all of our ports to all incoming goods, then we be in an economic war...........

Or block exports of all American goods.

Neither of which is good policy.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embargo_Act_of_1807



.........................
__________________
We once were a Nation of Riflemen...


Matthew 5:16
tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 17:39   #58
rowjimmy
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 21662
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central PA
Posts: 11,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
When we block all of our ports to all incoming goods, then we be in an economic war, until then, shit is what it always has been, just the way things are done.
...
You weren't kidding when you said you didn't have a knowledge of finance.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 18:28   #59
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 14,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
I know it sounds a bit crazy but there may be a chance that advanced past civilizations on this planet have gotten to where we currently are (technologically) and followed the path we are getting ready to go down - I know, a bit "woo woo", and it shitcans our current understanding of religions - BUT... what if?
Many years ago, I read a novel about a contractor digging a hole in the ground on the side of a mountain, footings for a new home, and he hit a bulkhead surrounding a large shiny ass metal door.

One call lead to another, and finally some geeks from the local university showed up, took a look, ran some test, then the government men showed up right behind them.

Seems the door was 4 or 5 hundred thousands years old.

Our planet has been here for what, 4.5 billion years, to think or believe, we're the only generation to have ever reach this level of sophistication is a huge leap of faith.

Saw another piece once, it plotted out all the large radioactive deposits around the world, then some geek regressed the earths plate movements back to when the planet was one solid land mass, that was interesting too, how all that crap ended back up in roughly one location.

It seems every time a contractor digs a hole in the ground in the middle east, we learn something brand new about the world we live on we had no prior knowledge of.

Given enough time, all traces of mankind will one day be erased.
And this planet has been here for a very long time!

Naw, I don't think its a wacky idea at all.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 18:39   #60
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 14,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
You weren't kidding when you said you didn't have a knowledge of finance.
Can't, sing, dance, nor play the fiddle either.

Like singing, dancing, and fiddle playing, financial concerns and the opinions on them are boundless, about what is good or bad, liked or disliked, one better than the other, etc.

If I want to hear singing, I turn on the radio, see dancing, fire up old Fred and Ginger on CD, or fiddle music go to a country concert.

I just don't pretend I know how to dance, sing, or play the fiddle.
I was real good at taking care of people, got a knack for getting folks to work together, as a team.
But, large but, I'm also aware, that there are people far better at all of this than I am or was.

When the world wide financial crisis hits, and it will one day, I'm pretty sure I'll recognize it for what it is and will do what must be done to come out the backside of it in as good as shape as possible, from my efforts for me and mine.

Did I miss anything?
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 18:43   #61
tdb59
not really a gun guy
Bronze Contributor
 
tdb59's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 63177
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: I am here
Posts: 9,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
I know it sounds a bit crazy but there may be a chance that advanced past civilizations on this planet have gotten to where we currently are (technologically) and followed the path we are getting ready to go down - I know, a bit "woo woo", and it shitcans our current understanding of religions - BUT... what if?
__________________
We once were a Nation of Riflemen...


Matthew 5:16

Last edited by tdb59; September 20, 2017 at 22:10.
tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2017, 22:02   #62
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Many years ago, I read a novel about a contractor digging a hole in the ground on the side of a mountain, footings for a new home, and he hit a bulkhead surrounding a large shiny ass metal door.

One call lead to another, and finally some geeks from the local university showed up, took a look, ran some test, then the government men showed up right behind them.

Seems the door was 4 or 5 hundred thousands years old.

Our planet has been here for what, 4.5 billion years, to think or believe, we're the only generation to have ever reach this level of sophistication is a huge leap of faith.

Saw another piece once, it plotted out all the large radioactive deposits around the world, then some geek regressed the earths plate movements back to when the planet was one solid land mass, that was interesting too, how all that crap ended back up in roughly one location.

It seems every time a contractor digs a hole in the ground in the middle east, we learn something brand new about the world we live on we had no prior knowledge of.

Given enough time, all traces of mankind will one day be erased.
And this planet has been here for a very long time!

Naw, I don't think its a wacky idea at all.
Was there a guy on the inside,resetting a clock every 108 minutes?
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2017, 22:19   #63
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 14,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Was there a guy on the inside,resetting a clock every 108 minutes?


Not in those novels, but I believe I remember one about resetting a clock for some reason!
All those years in Europe and other places, ya learn to enjoy/love reading or simply go bonkers in the evenings.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 00:45   #64
Nomad, 2nd
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 33115
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nomadic
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Trumpster already did what I wanted with the SC justice.
That pretty much takes care of my domestic concerns.
Guns!

IF, big if, he can reverse the loss of "Made in America" he'll have done something.

Economic warfare breaks out for real, we'll win.

The world was stupid enough to take our paper money not backed by anything, like taking a check from a man without a checking account and no identification, hell, just print a 20 trillion bank note, and pay off the national debt!

IF, another big ass IF, we simply declared bankruptcy, paid off pennies on the dollar to our creditors, they would stop sending goods into this country.

If they stop sending in goods, great, we go back to making our own goods, a real win for the people here.

Give it 3 years, and we'd be shipping goods worldwide again, as the actions above would destroy the worlds economies.



Missing something?

The TRANSITION....

'3 years'....


Where's the infastructure going to come from?
THE Trained men?

The food, and goods no longer being imported while things 'spin up'


Numbers don't work.
__________________
I notice no one ever debates whether a .30 is an adequate stopper...
Nomad, 2nd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 01:24   #65
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 14,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Missing something?

The TRANSITION....

'3 years'....


Where's the infastructure going to come from?
THE Trained men?

The food, and goods no longer being imported while things 'spin up'


Numbers don't work.
First off we can feed ourselves and feed a large part of the world as well.
Some food stuffs now imported and grown only outside this country are not critical to our survival, if they go missing.

We have now or could produce the infrastructure required, not like TV's, coffee pots, existing goods now in the country are all going to die and stop working overnight.

I watched the first man reach space and a short ten years later, watched men walk on the moon.

We have the manpower and brains to do anything we desire to do.

Anything thing we are missing in terms of manpower and know how, eating on a regular basis is one hell of a motivator for folks coming into this country.

We cut off all imports, we survive, we cut off all exports, much of the world goes hungry at night.

People are all scared to death over economic warfare, really have no idea just how powerful this country is.

IF we were to withdraw from the world economy, the world would fall apart and be back in major wars with one another inside six months.

If we were to remove ourselves from the worlds geo politics, Russia would own all of Europe inside a few months, China would own the far east, and we'd have to gun up to keep Russia and China out of South America.

Africa would starve to death after they killed one another off.
Then Russia and China would fight each other over the raw materials still left in the ground there or simply split up the spoils into Chinese or Russian controlled areas.

A lot of folks talk about being in the clutches of the evil globalist, hell, but mention economic warfare, withdrawing from the world stage, allowing the shit to fall on people who won;t defend themselves, telling the world to go to hell, we'll go our own way, folks panic.

Oh no, we need others for this or that.
Short answer, no we don;t.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 11:11   #66
D P Six
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15219
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
I know it sounds a bit crazy but there may be a chance that advanced past civilizations on this planet have gotten to where we currently are (technologically) and followed the path we are getting ready to go down - I know, a bit "woo woo", and it shitcans our current understanding of religions - BUT... what if?

I have thought about that same thing often.
D P Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 23:14   #67
Nomad, 2nd
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 33115
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nomadic
Posts: 2,876
I agree we CAN.

....switching from "not doing to doing" is the trick.

To say "we will figure it out" is all well and good, and I agree.
If ON THE INTERM gas, food, natural resources etc don't stop flowing.

If they do people loose focus on building and start surviving.


It takes TIME (not to mention people and resources) to build factories, drill wells, train people etc.

Can't cut off the flow (ESPECIALLY in a 'just in time system') without disastrous results.
__________________
I notice no one ever debates whether a .30 is an adequate stopper...
Nomad, 2nd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017, 00:23   #68
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 14,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I agree we CAN.

....switching from "not doing to doing" is the trick.

To say "we will figure it out" is all well and good, and I agree.
If ON THE INTERM gas, food, natural resources etc don't stop flowing.

If they do people loose focus on building and start surviving.


It takes TIME (not to mention people and resources) to build factories, drill wells, train people etc.

Can't cut off the flow (ESPECIALLY in a 'just in time system') without disastrous results.
With the state this country and much of the world is in today, might just need something massive and highly threatening, something that could make people face reality, to bring this once great country back together again.

I'm just a little tiny person in this huge ass old world, spending the time given to me the best I can. What comes along, will just deal with it or get rolled over by it.

A good sized national threat can tear a country and its people apart or bring them back together.

Right now, this country is as divided as I've ever seen it.
You'd have to go back in history to 1859 or 60 and before that, to 1770 or so to see similar levels of divisions.

Watching a little football today, what tears all of us apart was on full display.
People get this way, the first thing to go, is forgetting all that binds each of us together into a nation.

Today, we have two groups of about 150,000,000 each, and among those groups, mostly individuals.

Not a recipe for success.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2015 The FAL Files