The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old July 07, 2018, 15:50   #1
Timmo
Registered

FALaholic #: 78232
Brass Discs From NZ Air Force Stocks

Hey all , does anyone have close up pics of what the discs on the NZ Air Force SLRs look like. I've seen a brass disc that is stamped "WOOD 165". It came from an ex Air Force guy who was stationed at Woodbourne air base.... cheers Tim
Timmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 07, 2018, 17:10   #2
Capt D
Farkin' Sneekee Bastitch
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
Lifted this photo from a fellow member, I'm sure he will not mind:

COBC #66
‘Need’ now means wanting someone else’s money. ‘Greed’ means wanting to keep your own. ‘Compassion’ is when a politician arranges the transfer. --J. Sobran
Capt D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 07, 2018, 17:37   #3
Timmo
Registered

Thanks for that , my disc doesn't have the squadron name as your photo shows so it may have been for older Lee Enfields although I am not sure that the Air Force did disks to those rifles..... cheers

Last edited by Timmo; July 07, 2018 at 17:45.
Old July 07, 2018, 20:57   #4
y18376
Registered

FALaholic #: 76824
The Lee Enfield disc's were same but maybe slightly larger diameter.
Army fitted them to Lee Enfields then started doing the same with L1 then discontinued. Navy had the discs fitted to the Lee Enfields , continued with L1 then discontinued. Airforce probably fitted discs to the Lee Enfield given the L1 had them fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmo View Post
Thanks for that , my disc doesn't have the squadron name as your photo shows so it may have been for older Lee Enfields although I am not sure that the Air Force did disks to those rifles..... cheers
y18376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2018, 06:16   #5
Fallujahgrunt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 80766
Here’s several examples including a super rare navy example.

The disc usually shows the Unit then the rack number underneath.

NZ AF rifles have this disc near top of buttstock

https://ibb.co/imBAcT
https://ibb.co/eFrbHT
https://ibb.co/jGXSP8
https://ibb.co/m8QQBo
https://ibb.co/ntYh7T

Even rarer are NZ Navy that has disc in center of buttstock.

So shown is 41 Squadron.
Rack number underneath

TER is "Te Rapa" which was an RNZAF Supply base that was on the Northern edge of the city of Hamilton in the North Island of New Zealand.
Rack number underneath.

Super rare Navy stock shown on bottom!

I understand these brass discs were removed and melted down for scrap prior to export.

Last edited by Fallujahgrunt; July 08, 2018 at 10:46.
Fallujahgrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2018, 10:00   #6
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Enfield disc is not the same size as the NZ disc.

I have 500+ NZ stocks in addition to greater number of Aussie stocks. Heck, so many I use them as firewood.

There are only two locations where a screw will not pass through into the hollow portions of the stock. Thus the high and low mounting point. I am intrigued by the assertion that the lower one is Navy. I'd like to see some more info on that. Most of the discs I have are TER (curiously, one number off the image above). Also a WHEN 367 - Which I'd have thought Wellington (AF), except for the "H". Or Whangaoaraua (army), except for the EN. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...military_bases

. Now I have done reproductions but my discs will be 1", not .095" or whatever the NZ one is. Not going to measure right now..

I do remember seeing plenty of "low" and also, I think two hole diameters. It's already over 100F and it's only 0800, so I really don't feel like sifting through the bins to check right now. It was uncommon to have one of the stocks with the disc. I got maybe 10 discs out of 500+ stocks. I got replacement discs, but at 1" they either had to be turned town, or the inletting opened up on my mill.

Note top one at middle position, bottom one at top.

Last edited by gunplumber; July 08, 2018 at 10:35.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2018, 10:15   #7
Fallujahgrunt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Enfield disc is not the same size as the NZ disc.

I have 500+ stocks. There are only two locations where a screw will not pass through into the hollow portions of the stock. Thus the high and low mounting point. I am intrigued by the assertion that the lower one is Navy. I'd like to see some more info on that. Most of the discs I have are TER (curiously, one number off the image above). Also a WHEN 367. Now I have done reproductions but my discs will be 1", not .095" or whatever the NZ one is. Not going to measure right now..

I do remember seeing plenty of "low" and also, I think two hole diameters. It's already over 100F and it's only 0800, so I really don't feel like sifing through the bins to check right now. It was uncommon to have one of the stocks with the disc. I got maybe 10 discs out of 500+ stocks. I got replacement discs, but at 1" they either had to be turned town, or the inletting opened up on my mill.

Mark,

The way I understand it was
A member here spoke directly to the NZ Expert (NZ L1a1 collector) on the forums who was actually in the NZ Navy and confirmed that center mount was navy and rare.

I have disc TER 045 that I got from a member here.

The above sqn 41 063 was a reproduction I made based on the original example sqn 41 070 is the original.

https://ibb.co/ntYh7T

Last edited by Fallujahgrunt; July 08, 2018 at 10:46.
Fallujahgrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2018, 10:30   #8
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Well, Kevin would know. I wonder if it is "Rare" because the navy didn't get as many, or because they were destroyed instead of ending up in my warehouse as firewood.

Here are some more unmarked "middle" with marked "top"

Last edited by gunplumber; July 08, 2018 at 10:37.
Old July 08, 2018, 10:33   #9
iandouglasg
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 44021
Mark

You may not have scrolled down far enough on the wikipedia link you yourself posted
It looks like the "When" disk probably refers to the RNZAF base of Whenuapai, Auckland
iandouglasg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2018, 10:49   #10
Fallujahgrunt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Well, Kevin would know. I wonder if it is "Rare" because the navy didn't get as many, or because they were destroyed instead of ending up in my warehouse as firewood.

Here are some more unmarked "middle" with marked "top"

And it’s weird I understand the navy never marked their discs so I don’t know why they bothered other than to denote it a “navy” rifle. Perhaps Kevin can explain more.
Old July 08, 2018, 10:58   #11
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandouglasg View Post
Mark

You may not have scrolled down far enough on the wikipedia link you yourself posted
It looks like the "When" disk probably refers to the RNZAF base of Whenuapai, Auckland

Thank you. I typed "W" "match case" "find all" and never saw it
Old July 08, 2018, 11:10   #12
iandouglasg
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 44021
I have a NZ L1A1 (per serial number in Skennerton's book) that I am resurrecting from a Century thumbhole. Unfortunately in Skennerton's book it does not show WHO in New Zealand received this rifle. I would love to stamp the brass disk with the proper unit marking. Any ideas?

iandouglasg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2018, 16:25   #13
Timmo
Registered

Quote:
Thank you. I typed "W" "match case" "find all" and never saw it
Can confirm that WHEN will be Whenuapai which was a large base northwest of Auckland
Old July 08, 2018, 16:39   #14
Timmo
Registered

So looking at mine ( there are two now ) it appears they are from Woodbourne Base. I spoke to him yesterday and he says he "scored" them from a draw that was full of them in the armourers workshop just prior to all the SLR parts being taken away. He said there was racks of parts , most still wrapped up new. so i am wondering if i should now start the process of searching for one of the Air Force rifles just to complete it with a brass disc. Might be worth it.Thanks for the help everyone , another bit of information added , when I get the discs I'll post a pic
Old July 08, 2018, 17:48   #15
y18376
Registered

FALaholic #: 76824
Navy L1,s had disc's with abbreviated Unit names and the number, usually 1 - 30. The Training unit had 1 - 100. There were L1's with unmarked disc's but didn't attach any importance to it at the time.
Navy L1's with Wood furniture were requisitioned by Army on at least two occasions, then any returned L1's had Aramid nylon maranyl furniture. Army probably removed Navy designate disc's or simply fitted blank disc's.
One at least one occasion when Army requisitioned Li's from Airforce, Airforce swapped the old/beaten wood furniture from the Army supplied L1's onto their L1's prior to sending their L1's to Army. Army were not happy.
When IW Steyr was adopted Airforce returned L1'S to Army(Master Depot) along with spare parts. Later Army passed all spare parts to Navy as the last group still using L1's.
L1 AD63 series is Army or Airforce. Navy was AD6224495 then 6400020. Navy had AD63 series L2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallujahgrunt View Post
And it’s weird I understand the navy never marked their discs so I don’t know why they bothered other than to denote it a “Navy” rifle. Perhaps Kevin can explain more.

Last edited by y18376; July 08, 2018 at 23:25.
y18376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2018, 18:47   #16
Fallujahgrunt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by y18376 View Post
Navy L1,s had disc's with abbreviated Unit names and the number, usually 1 - 30. The Training unit had 1 - 100. There were L1's with unmarked disc's but didn't attach any importance to it at the time.
Navy L1's with Wood furniture were requisitioned by Army on at least two occasions, then any returned L1's had Aramid nylon maranyl furniture.
When IW Steyr was adopted Airforce returned L1'S to Army(Master Depot) along with spare parts. Later Army passed all spare parts to Navy as the last group still using L1's.
L1 AD63 series is Army or Airforce. Navy was AD6224495 then 6400020. Navy had AD63 series L2.
Now I’m curious what the marked navy discs look like
Old July 08, 2018, 19:23   #17
Timmo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by y18376 View Post
Navy L1's with Wood furniture were requisitioned by Army on at least two occasions, then any returned L1's had Aramid nylon maranyl furniture.
Ok , now to go looking for an AD63 L1 ...
Old July 20, 2018, 21:59   #18
adam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 11334
I made a bunch of them a while back. Found them recently. The ones I made are .850". If only someone had a bunch of NZ stocks.
Old July 21, 2018, 09:30   #19
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam762 View Post
I made a bunch of them a while back. Found them recently. The ones I made are .850". If only someone had a bunch of NZ stocks.
After subtracting out those I used for firewood, I'm going to guess I have 350 NZ stocks and 500 Aus.

I'd be interested in all of the discs, but I need to re-measure. I believe the navy one is smaller and most of my stocks are RNZAF. If yours are turned for the smaller Navy one, I can't use them.

Hmm - do I have that backwards? LEaving for a gunshow will measure when I have time. On light duty. took a bad fall and cracked some ribs. Can't lift the bins of stocks

Last edited by gunplumber; July 21, 2018 at 09:44.