The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old December 03, 2017, 20:07   #1
fn ellis
Registered

FALaholic #: 71189
1911 build question

Good evening guys Fn Ellis from the FAL side, I am building my first 1911 from the ground up, I am using a Caspain Stainless frame and a Wilson Combat beaver tail. The problem I am having is there is about large gap between the mainspring housing and the beaver tail, not sure how to remady this. I have and extra main spring housing and they measure the same, is there different beaver tail lengths?
fn ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 03, 2017, 21:18   #2
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
I have a beginning gun shop that started out with the building of 1911s. The problem you're describing is strange. You're already fitted the slide to the frame?
You've already fitted the barrel?
Once these things are done, it's time to fit the grip safety(beavertail) to the frame.
There really isn't much to fitting a MSH(mainspring housing). For width and maybe trim a little length but that's about it.
There will be no gap

Could you post some pics of your progress so far?

If you have any questions, PM me
Old December 04, 2017, 00:54   #3
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
is there a officers model beavertail? that would be shorter

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2017, 07:04   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
is there a officers model beavertail? that would be shorter
Think you won the prize. My guess is has O Model mainspring housing. I purchased a huge lot of high dollar custom aftermarket parts last year. Mainspring housings, beavertails, ambi safeties, lots of titanium internals and turned out most parts were Officers Models that had sat on rack for a couple years or more with no movement. I am planning on building a pair of compact Officers models with carry comps so it was a bonus for me as had two mainspring housings with mag well funnel (one marked Govt Model other O Model) plus a mystery mainspring housing with magwell.

Mystery mainspring housing with mag funnel was out of bag and unmarked. Slid it in a full size was upgrading and rebuilding to discover a nice large gap between mainspring housing and grip safety. Have one slide and one frame (mismatched finishes) and looking for more to set into the builds as an O Model with carry comp ends up easy to hide and controls well as full size pistol. Read on forums where guys bought mainspring housings with mag funnels then whined because we're short and not mentioned by seller who claimed no knowledge of unmarked part out of bag.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2017, 10:35   #5
fn ellis
Registered

Thank you for your help, I ordered a new mainspring housing and a Beavertail from reputable companies
Old December 04, 2017, 10:43   #6
fn ellis
Registered

So much for trying to save a few bucks
Old December 04, 2017, 15:10   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I can often scrape up extra 1911 parts. Been swapping parts on 1911's fifteen years longer than screwing together AR's.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old December 06, 2017, 05:48   #8
fn ellis
Registered

Okay new development, my new mainspring housing came in yesterday, I am still having the same problem. Is there different beaver tail lengths. I used Wilson combats Wilson Combat 429SG Factory Stainless Drop In Beaver Tail off of ebay.
Old December 06, 2017, 08:40   #9
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

As per post#2, something's strange

Did you fit the thumb safety?
After the thumb safety, did you fit the beavertail grip to the frame?

Something tells me you did not. If you didn't do any of these things, you did not fit the trigger and trigger screw. This is an important safety issue.

I also highly doubt you fitted the thumb safety. This is an extremely important safety issue

There is no such thing as a 'drop in part' for a 1911. Maybe the grips but that's about it.
Fitting the barrel is critical. Fitting the barrel bushing can be difficult.
You need to know how to install the plunger tube. fitting sights can be difficult if you don't have the tools and a little experience.
Old December 06, 2017, 10:36   #10
fn ellis
Registered

I am using a new Caspian frame that is pre cut .250 Radius no cutting involved Unless the axis is not correct from Caspian. Do not believe thatís the case.
Old December 06, 2017, 10:50   #11
pl521
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74645
Is possible for you to post a pictures? If not, PM me and I'll help you post. Pictures may help in determining problem.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2017, 13:43   #12
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Caspian tries to leave a little extra on their .25 radius cuts.
Variations in a beavertail radius from every manufacture cannot be taken into account.
There is no 'axis not cut correctly' for a Caspian frame.
I always order uncut Caspian frames and do the radius myself so I'm not real familiar with using so-called drop in fits. It's been my experience all parts need to be fitted

Something is wrong here. As stated, pictures need to be posted.
Old December 07, 2017, 08:25   #13
fn ellis
Registered

Thank you for all your time and information, axis point I am referring to is where the dowel from the safety rides threw the frame or the axis point so the beaver-tail can pivot. I went to my local gun shop last night to compare my gap with others, both new and used guns and of many manufactures had different gaps between the main spring housing and the beaver-tail. I am trying to get the least amount of gap as possible for a good clean tight finish. I ordered two new beaver-tails last night, lets hope one of them has and extra .150 on the end.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1bjegzb4.jpg

Last edited by fn ellis; December 07, 2017 at 08:44.
Old December 07, 2017, 09:09   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Ordering parts blindly will at least lead to more builds but might not solve your issue. Have you tried calling some vendors like Cylinder & Slide or Wilson? Have generally found their reps to be reasonably knowledgable and might put you on best part/parts for your build without chasing your tail.
Old December 07, 2017, 09:32   #15
fn ellis
Registered

I agree, if I did not have another frame and slide to play with I would’ve not
ordered more parts. Trust me I’m not that wealthy but I am hoping that he Fusion Arms hand fit beaver-tail will be the one.

Last edited by fn ellis; December 07, 2017 at 10:38.
Old December 07, 2017, 09:46   #16
pl521
Registered
Contributor

As long as the mainspring is keeping the beavertail/grip safety in place, I wouldn't worry too much about on a first build. You can always refine it later by adding metal (tig welding) to the top of the mainspring or bottom of grip safety to close the gap.

You may also want to check with EGW to see if they carry oversized (long grip safety or mainspring for a tight custom fit.
Old December 07, 2017, 12:09   #17
fn ellis
Registered

I maybe slightly OCD
Old December 08, 2017, 12:02   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fn ellis View Post
I maybe slightly OCD
Then you may need to work on becoming full blown OCD. Promised wife when had 45 total 45's would quit buying 1911's. Luckily can chamber them in other cartridges so didn't have to stop at 45 1911 pattern pistols. 38 Super was original savior now adding 460 Rowland, 40 Smith, 357 SIG and even minor caliber 9mm for when get too old and feeble for major power factor.
Old December 11, 2017, 20:40   #19
fn ellis
Registered

That's so funny, I have enjoyed this project so much I am thinking about selling off a lot of my extra stuff so I can build more 1911s
Old December 11, 2017, 23:39   #20
pl521
Registered
Contributor

How about posting a few pictures of your 1911 build? I love building 1911s, they require a lot more hand fitting than FALs.
Old Yesterday, 19:33   #21
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
I think the "drop-in" beavertail might explain the gap.
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote