The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The HK Files

Notices

Old December 06, 2017, 21:37   #1
Edgartwib
Registered

FALaholic #: 80246
RA ZA marked G3 parts kit.

I recently met a guy with several G3 parts kits that had baby poop paint. I initially thought they were Rhodie FALs from afar. All the kits looked well worn and in old discolored bags with light oil. He had 3 and two were opened to examine. One kit he stripped the baby poop off. They had both RA and ZA serial numbers. Matching#s, from what i could tell at least from ZA electro pencil. He wanted $650 a piece for the kits with barrels. I am intrigued but they looked well used and put away wet, literally.
I would have taken pictures but the seller asked me not to.

How rare are Rhodisian/Zimbabwe Army G3s kits?
I almost bought one sight on seen but hesitated because I questioned the overall serviceability of the kits.
Does anybody have experience building a worn G3 kit. I like the rifle and history that goes with it but I am not sure I want to open that can of worms.
Thanks
E
Edgartwib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2017, 23:51   #2
Blackwing
Registered

FALaholic #: 13006
What stock sets did they have? Nam. or std.?
Blackwing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 12:03   #3
Edgartwib
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwing View Post
What stock sets did they have? Nam. or std.?
Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by 'Nam' stock? Is that the collapsable one? These all were baby pooped standard stocks thats why I mistook them for FALs in their bags.
Old December 07, 2017, 12:13   #4
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
"Nam" in this context means "Namibian". The buttstock on looks like an FAL stock was grafted on and the LOP is longer.
Old December 07, 2017, 14:53   #5
Blackwing
Registered

FALaholic #: 13006
Thanks Lew for the clarification. Yep, Namibian or Nambian - FAL looking stock made for G3. That stock set gets you to $2-300 depending on condition right there.
Blackwing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2017, 19:38   #6
Edgartwib
Registered

No I do not believe they were Nambian stocks. I would say they were G3a3's from looking at pics online.
Old Yesterday, 11:09   #7
Edgartwib
Registered

I called the fellow who has the G3 kits and wanted to see if he was willing to wheel and deal for a kit or two. I couldn't get that baby poop camo out of the back of my mind...
Needless to say, he wouldn't. Apparently someone after I saw him at the show told him that Rhodie G3 kits were super rare and that he was sitting on a gold mine. He stated the barrels had "royal FMP" stamps. Something I missed when I looked over the kits. Im betting they are all Portuguese G3s. I remember reading that Rhodesian forces acquired a bunch of G3s as Portugual left Mozambique.
He only had two kits left and wanted $800 ea now. Stating that they will be on Goebroker soon. I passed.

Two days ago on my local gunlistings there was a pre ban HK91 with bipod. I emailed the owner and after a short negotiation. I traded a Fulton M14 and a stainless USP 40 for a 1981 dated HK 91 with bipod and 25+ mags most are in there original paper. No real handling marks, the only wear on the 91 is inside the magwell. Id say 95%+ original condition.

Last edited by Edgartwib; Yesterday at 12:15.
Old Yesterday, 11:48   #8
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgartwib View Post
He stated the barrels had "royal FMP" stamps. Something I missed when I looked over the kits. Im betting they are all Portuguese G3s. I remember reading that Rhodesian forces acquired a bunch of G3s and Portugual left Mozambique.
Correct. Rhodesia received FMP-made G3's as Portugal pulled out of Angola and Mozambique. They also received a goodly amount of Portuguese G1 and m962 FAL's.