The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old November 26, 2017, 11:06   #1
AZ Dave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7882
Questions about current Springfield Armory M-1 Socom

I'm thinking about one of these. Are the receivers cast? How is the quality? Palmetto has them for 1300 shipped

Last edited by AZ Dave; November 26, 2017 at 16:52.
AZ Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 13:45   #2
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
If you are asking about a SAI Socom , yes cast as are all the receivers they have every made. Quality is touch and go.
For a few bucks more you can get a forged M14 clone from Classic Firearms made by Bula Defense Systems and assembled by James River Armory.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 18:20   #3
HD-Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 68541
SAI

And all their parts are made in Taiwan. But they are lifetime guaranteed.
HD-Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 19:26   #4
AZ Deuce
Registered

FALaholic #: 40828
I had a new M1A SOCOM earlier this year, it was WELL BUILT, accurate, and reliable, I sold it to fund a couple BM59 projects, I REALLY wanted a BM59, but I do miss that SOCOM sweet little beast, you won't be disappointed, they are good to go, with excellent quality. - AZ

Life ain't fair, but it sure gets interesting sometimes!
AZ Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2017, 18:18   #5
Southern 7.62
Registered

FALaholic #: 79321
I have a standard black Springfield Socom 16 I purchased new last year. My experiences with it have been good. I have not fitted it with an optic, and I can say for me, at about 130 yards, the wide front site fully obscures a torso sized target. That being said, for myself a holo or red dot optic would be more suitable past that distance. Also at that distance with irons, accuracy using German MEN and PPU has been acceptable. As for reliability, I've not had any issues. I also favor the 10 round mags for this short weapon over the 20 round mags. For me, the 20 rounders just seem a bit bulky in this shorty. When I get time this weekend I will weigh mine with a loaded 10 round mag and compare it to an AK with loaded 30 round mag.
Southern 7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2017, 21:55   #6
gunshack
Registered

FALaholic #: 17916
I need another M14 like a need a hole in the head, but I'm this close to pulling the trigger on one them thar Bula/JRA buggers. I'll never buy another SAI as long as I live.

In fact, the only SAI I have left is the one I inherited; a late '80s National Match with GI parts, unshot (this side of the factory.) And will likely stay that way... for at least another generation after me.

As for the newer ones; the quality has been lacking in my experience. Just from looks alone one can see the differences when comparing to a rifle built with GI parts. (Caveat, I've worked as a machinist/CNC programer/tool maker for over 20 years, I tend to recognise quality of manufacturing from looks alone. It's a bad habit.) Most socoms I've encountered are not built with GI parts, but I've had a few surprise me.

YMMV

Last edited by gunshack; November 30, 2017 at 22:32.
gunshack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2017, 16:56   #7
BubbaTheKid
Registered

FALaholic #: 68251
I just received a Bula/JRA M14 Para. Model with 19.5" barrel from Classic. It is a thing of beauty and worth every bit of the $1500 introductory price. American steel, hammer forged by Bula in America to make the receiver, bolt, barrel, and other parts by Americans for Americans. Assembled by Americans at JRA with American Black Walnut stocks. Sold by Americans at Classic to Americans. You know what quality feels like. This rifle has it to spare. I like that Bula has a table at National Matches at Camp Perry on Armorers row. Their parts go to rifles in Military Service today.

Or buy a Taiwanese Mim parts rifle that "needs" a life time warranty sold under a knock off trade name of what was once a fine company... A company so sleazy they are chums with Illinois Democrats and are OK with putting Your local FFL out of business for exclusive sale rights in their home state. SB-1657. Still in Illinois, still being pushed, still hasn't gone away.

Who You gonna give Your money to? I gave mine to Bula/JRA & Classic.

Because America.
BubbaTheKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2017, 08:29   #8
Glashaus
Registered

FALaholic #: 79821
Yes the new Springfield Armory M1A’s are cast receivers, always have been, and zero USGI parts. They use a lot of MIM rather then cast parts and the rumors are that those parts are made off shore, shipped to the US and assembled here using US labor, hence “made in the USA”. SAI started running out of GI parts in the early-mid 2000’s. I have a standard SAI M1A that I bought new that was made in Dec. 2012. It had zero GI parts on it from the factory. It shoots very nice. I replaced the following with GI parts with no problems, all bolt guts, all trigger group parts except the housing, rear sight, front sight and flash suppressor, stock. I replaced these parts really not so much because I had too. More because I wanted to and to give myself some experience for when I built up my Bula, Rock Ola M14 barreled receiver that I bought in 2014. I built the Bula into a standard M14 clone using all USGI Springfield Arsenal parts. The current Bula M14 clones are using a lot of new made USA forged parts rather then USGI M14 parts as the USGI stuff has really dried up. That is one reason why the Bula’s are priced the way they are now.

If I did not own a M14 clone and wanted one now, I would pick the Bula over the Springfield M1A, any day of the week.
Old December 07, 2017, 08:59   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
If I were to buy a M1a SOCOM would buy the 18" rather than 16" version unless running a suppressor. Have two 16" 7.62 NATO rifles and will never buy/build another unless it's a dedicated suppressor rifle. Having a full size battle rifle erupting fire and pressure that close to my face is not enjoyable anymore. It's odd how the extra two inches of an 18" barrel are less oppressive to me. Would actually like an 18" Springfield M1a SOCOM just to round out my collection of Springfields. Agree that older is better unless abused. All of my Springfields are preban era or much earlier, lament letting my pride keep me from buying several of the Norinco versions back when cheap just because said Made in China. Seeing how most are holding up with age apparently are much better than modern Chinese products.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 20:50   #10
AZ Dave
Registered

I plan on rolling the dice and picking up a S.A. socom 16. At $1299.00 shipped I cant resist. If anything goes wrong I'll ship it back for repair. Thanks....
Old December 07, 2017, 21:51   #11
ray55classic
Registered

FALaholic #: 72759
Location: east of Eden in the land of Nod on the boulevard of broken dreams
I 've had an 88' SAI MA-9108 E-2 , and a 90' SAI M1A SportMaster since they were new,
both have been superb rifles with many thousands of rds between them.
Other than the receivers which were cast in the USA by Gray-Syracuse , machined by Mel Smith at Valley Ordinance ,
and the SportMasters stock made by Fajen, mine came entirely USGI, I wouldn't trade them BUT that was then , this is now .
Nowadays there are no stocks of surplus parts left , and SAI receivers are still cast , where I don't really know,
the parts are MIM , but I will say the newer SAI's will still shoot fairly good.
Thankfully Bula Forge has stepped in, upped the game and began building well made parts and receivers right here in the USA at a very affordable price .
That's where I'd spend my $$$$
As far as the 16" barreled socom it's OK as long as it's used as it was designed a fast handling dedicated house cleaner with some serious punch,
and not laughingly made into a target gun with a huge high power scope & a bipod.
That said I like the 18" much better and find it much more usable in the "real world ".

If by chance I built another M14 type rifle it would be a Bula XM-21 receiver and Bula parts with a 5R/20 barrel by Jon Wolfe .

Last edited by ray55classic; December 07, 2017 at 23:08.
ray55classic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2017, 15:31   #12
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Brother AZ Dave, more importantly than considering whether or not the S.A,INC receiver is cast (which it is) is to think about an M-14 clone with an altered gas system. Brother hueyville notes that the flash is too close to your face, (something to consider) but the gas system on the M-14 is not the greatest in the world and changing it usually leads to unnecessary, preventable problems sometimes in future. The M-14 Firing Line Forums are peppered with (young folks so it seems) guys inquiring about their problems with the altered/shortened M-14's. Check them out and you'll see.

Save your money, time, energy and frustration and get the Bula-forge, made in 'Murca as-close-to-USGI-specs-as-possible rifle whilst you can.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2017, 23:36   #13
AZ Dave
Registered

Thanks guys. I'm holding off for now.....