Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old November 02, 2017, 09:40   #1
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
rimfire rifle collection

Yesterday, it occurred to me that I had never taken a photo of my .22 rimfire rifles all together. I gathered them up and putzed around a bit on the deck with the camera. From left to right, the rifles are a Winchester Model 67 (1936 I believe), a CZ ZKM 468 (1950), Marlin Model 39A (1952), Mossberg 250CA (circa mid-60s?), Ruger 10/22 (1988) and a Marlin Model 60 (1992).

The Mossberg rifle is just like the first rifle I owned. My parents gave me one of those at Christmas, around my 11th birthday. Sometime in the early 80s, it was stolen from my pickup. I found this one on Gunbroker a few years ago and bought it then.

I'm just experimenting with Imgur and trying to get the hang of their system. It looks like choosing "huge thumbnail" gets the size I need:

Last edited by Texgunner; November 06, 2017 at 20:58.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2017, 10:12   #2
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Cool. Thanks for sharing!
Old November 02, 2017, 12:03   #3
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Beautiful and arguably, all classics in their own right.

"DON'T do business with this guy" (me) in the Marketplace.
Twenty years of (+) across the innerwebs are wrong...
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2017, 12:10   #4
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Nice!
22 LR, gets tha job done daily, that's for darn sure.
Highly underrated.
Old November 02, 2017, 12:47   #5
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Thank you gents!
Old November 02, 2017, 17:36   #6
skinnydash
Registered

FALaholic #: 79317
Nice! Had to show that to my dad who just loves .22s. Go get yourself a nice Winchester 75 too.
skinnydash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2017, 20:05   #7
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
A nice bag of 22 rifles there, Texgunner!

Gotta love a Winnie 67! I have one I bought and one I inherited from my dad.

He said as a kid in the depression, he was given 2 rounds of .22, the model 67 and the assignment to kill rabbits. Growing up with 6 siblings, he said that if he missed once the group ate "light".

I need to document my .22 collection....which also includes his trusted Remington 552.......wow.....what a rifle!!
Old November 02, 2017, 20:33   #8
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Thanks skinny and Sig! Yeah, I don't plan on stopping, also need a .22 pump-action rifle. Sig, get some pics up brother! I'd love to see your collection too. Thanks for the comments guys.

I was just thinking about that Mossberg 250. When I got mine at age 11, we would stop at the 7-Eleven store on the way out to our farm and my dad would let me buy a box of .22 ammo. It seems like .22 Shorts were about .49 a box and Longs were .69 with Long Rifles about .89 per box of 50. Man, there wasn't a turtle, frog or bird safe from this fat kid back then! Yes sir, good times indeed!!

Last edited by Texgunner; November 02, 2017 at 20:39.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2017, 20:38   #9
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Nice looking group! My 1st rifle was a Winchester 67A Youth my father gave me for my 6th bday back in 1987- it was his when he was young as well. That rifle has seen a lot of ammo but is well cared for. Love that Marlin 39 as well

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2017, 20:45   #10
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
Nice looking group! My 1st rifle was a Winchester 67A Youth my father gave me for my 6th bday back in 1987- it was his when he was young as well. That rifle has seen a lot of ammo but is well cared for. Love that Marlin 39 as well
Thank you sir! I bought that 67 from a guy I used to paint with years ago. I like that it has some "home-made" checkering and carving in the wood. You just can't buy them with folk art like that out of a store!

That 39 was just acquired a couple weeks ago, I had wanted one for a long time but they always went for more than I wanted to pay. I bid on that one on GB, just knew someone would outbid me and promptly forgot about that auction. A few hours later, I remembered and checked; I'll be damned if hadn't won it. A 1952 model just like me. Scratched, dented and worn just like me too!
Old November 02, 2017, 21:16   #11
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Very nice collection you have there. I can practically guarantee that you will come to love that Marlin 39. Of all the .22s I have owned, shot or coveted, my 39A is the clear favorite. They are awesome little rifles. Enjoy it!
Old November 02, 2017, 21:34   #12
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolero1911 View Post
Very nice collection you have there. I can practically guarantee that you will come to love that Marlin 39. Of all the .22s I have owned, shot or coveted, my 39A is the clear favorite. They are awesome little rifles. Enjoy it!
Thanks a lot, I suspect you're right about that 39.
Old November 02, 2017, 21:45   #13
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Very nice collection...

While I shot some Mossberg and Marlin bolt guns when very young, my first was a Ruger 10/22R (about 1974). About that time, I also inherited a Remington 514 (that my brother originally got for about 2 1/2 books of S&H Green stamps from the supermarket). I've added many more .22LRs over the years (one of the most fun being a Ranger Model 34)...

I still have the 10/22 and my daughter has the Remington 514 (which has one of the most beautiful bores that I've even seen in a gun).

Thanks for sharing yours...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2017, 21:58   #14
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Thanks Forrest, and you're quite welcome too! Imagine that, buying a rifle with S&H Green stamps! I can well remember going to the stamp redemption "store" when I was a kid. I got several pretty cool toys with mom's stamps back then.

I had to look up that Ranger Model 34. Cool old bolt gun!!

I specifically bought that ZKM 468 as a "grandkid" gun. Short, light weight and easy to use, I figure it will be ideal to break in the young 'uns before too long. My oldest grandson was 3 in August and I can't wait to sit him on a shooting bench!

Thanks again Forrest!
Old November 04, 2017, 21:18   #15
Arby
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
Nice collection! I've got about half of that, and no Winnie.

Looking at your collection brings to mind that .22s are a lot of fun and are a great tool for keeping up marksmanship skills. I seem to forget that every time I go to the range, and bring only the heavy hitters. Perhaps next time I'll bring one of the old .22s, which haven't been fired in many years.

Thanks for the post, and the reminder!
Arby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2017, 14:00   #16
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Thanks Arby, glad you liked them. You are right too in that I don't shoot them enough either. Hell, I don't shoot anything enough these days! I have to do something about that before long. Might just have a .22 rifle "shoot-off" to see which shoots straightest...
Old November 24, 2017, 20:42   #17
jwv3
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1547
Nice collection! I really like the Marlins. Especially if they are the New Haven or North Haven builds. (pre remington)
jwv3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2017, 20:51   #18
mack1611
Registered

FALaholic #: 76084
Plus 1 for the Marlins, I just got a 1964 Marlin 57M "Levermatic" and it is a tack driver.
mack1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017, 08:40   #19
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv3 View Post
Nice collection! I really like the Marlins. Especially if they are the New Haven or North Haven builds. (pre remington)
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack1611 View Post
Plus 1 for the Marlins, I just got a 1964 Marlin 57M "Levermatic" and it is a tack driver.
I think that's the next lever gun I'd like to have. I've never shot one but what I've read has intrigued me into wanting one. Who wouldn't want another Marlin rifle?
Old November 25, 2017, 09:53   #20
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

I don't have a nice rimfire collection like many of you, but I will share this photo from my office.

The bolt action is a Remington 510 that was my maternal Grandpa's. I lived next door to him until I was 8 and this is the first real gun I ever shot (other than a BB gun).

The falling block is a Hopkins & Allen that was my paternal Grandpa's.

The wooden "stand" they are sitting on is actually a Winchester cleaning kit that was a gift from my two oldest Grandsons a few Christmases ago.

Old November 25, 2017, 10:06   #21
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Mike, that's very cool! What a great way to honor both of those gentlemen. That Remington looks quite a bit like the Winchester in my group. I love keeping the family history connections alive and well. Thank you for that sir!
Old November 25, 2017, 10:12   #22
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Thanks. The "bridge" from my Grandpas to my Grandsons makes me happy
Old November 25, 2017, 10:19   #23
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Thanks. The "bridge" from my Grandpas to my Grandsons makes me happy
That's what it's all about isn't it? And, you're part of the bridge too. Gotta love it!