Old October 11, 2005, 16:34   #51
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
ronin said
I understand this constitutes NO real world experience
Thank you, Ronin, you have summarized my position well.
Old October 11, 2005, 17:47   #52
Ronin556
Registered

FALaholic #: 18272
Gunplumber,

Am I the only person who noticed you didn't have a real, arguable position on dump pouches vs. carabiners other than "I'll stick to what I know works"?

If we stuck to what we knew worked, we'd still be on horseback.
I'll get back to you when I've got a combat patch.

HepD
Quote:
Unfortunately, though, practice and training take blood, sweat and tears, and they don't stock it in the Blackhawk Industries catalog.
Couldn't agree more. I do hundreds of reps per week on my reloads, malfs and dry practice.
I think had my ideas been recieved with something other than hostility, you guys would probably find me an entirely different character.
Also, I believe that if Gunplumber were the "new guy" here, (and half his age, which I am) he'd probably be the one getting shit-kicked for his opinion on the matter. Take away the names, and I'll bet you find a lot more people who know wtf they are doing agree that a dump pouch is a valuable asset.

That said, I don't see why you guys keep bringing up something that I admitted didn't qualify me to speak. Keep in mind, I'm at the beginning of my career as many of you round your last curve. I'll learn from those who are "up to date" or in the know - basically, those who are still learning teachers - a group which GP is NOT a member, by his blatant ignorance with statements like "I'll stick to what I know" and insulting attitude.
I'll willing to wager he isn't what he claims.

Farmer from hell,
Much of my learning has been from the same guy, and I gave credit to his website which provided that picture. I've got no desire to drag him into my frays, but you're quite right - I'm not him, and wouldn't claim to be.
That said, this mag pull wasn't "My" Idea - it was someone from TCT's, I tried it and found it works WAY better than the loops FOR ME.

Sorry to those of you who've taken offense - if you can, put yourself in the place of a new guy who's getting the dogsnot torn out of him by some guy who thinks he's Yoda of the gun world because he was in the military.
Old October 11, 2005, 19:00   #53
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Hey guys !

Pretty interesting thread that you've got going on here.

From my past with long range recon patrols, let me point out what has been said on here : You can't prepare for each and every situation coming up on the horizon. In most of the caeses, you are either " overprepared " ( carrying too much gear around ) or " underprepared " ( carrying not enough gear or not the right gear ) Gear includes ammo.

When we went out on a let's say 3 day patrol, I used to pack a ParaFAL, 8+1 magazine for the rifle, boxed ammo in small boxes of 20 rds ( the way milsurp ammo comes ) , rations for 3 days and the other stuff, such as socks , underwear, 3 to 4 hand grenades ( not an issue here ) , and a FN HP with 3 to 4 loaded mags, survival and first aid kit.

My backpack could be dropped off, in case I needed to go a little lighter , so I could go basically with the belt , pouches and suspenders.

I used to load the first round in the rifle mag ( last round when shot ) , as tracer, so I knew when the mag was empty.

At the time when I humped all that gear , tactical vests and hydration packs were non existent .

I'd also like to point out that you get yourself a couple of good boots and break them in. Waterproof them. See that they are comfortable and that you could do a couple of miles in them in full gear without your feet hurting after two miles.

Also, do not forget navigation equipment. Scout your area and look for places where you and others with you could hide out for shorter or longer periods of time. Take two decent compasses with you, and maybe a few maps.

With LRRPs we were also supposed to use " enemy " weapons , so, if we ran out of ammo, we still had something to fight with. Pack at least 3 different knives, and if your rifle can take it, a bayonet as well.

A LRRP's equipment could exceed well about 100 or 150 lbs in wartime. If you can " conduct operations " from a vehicle or a " base / camp / hideout " , drop off your gear whenever you can. As soon as you can , rearm and refill .

Now I carry a 70 oz hydration pack, and a mag carrier pouch such as a " 6 - pack " with a shoulder strap for a quick and easy grab.

My .02

Pete
Old October 11, 2005, 20:11   #54
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

I don't have a problem with a dump pouch - in theory.

In practice, however, I don't think its practical.

where are you going to put it? Every inch of my harness had something on it. with an M16 2x canteens, butpack, 4x mag pouches, compass, knife, battle dressing. pen light, strobe light, motorola, smoke grenades, frag grenades (?). Law rocket, or AT4, or 60mm mortar round, or 84 mm KG round, or belt of ammo for the weapon squad . With an M249 substitute 2x drums for the 4x mag pouches. With an M60 substitue 2 x mag pouches, T&E and 2x demo bags with 480 rounds and sidearm for the 4x mag pouches (although I've had some luck with the bianchi shoulder rig) and don't have to carry mortar, 84mm, or AT.. So where does it go?

And as anothe poster mentioned, every available container has something stuffed in it. Since one only needs it empty when one has empty mags, and one only has empty mags after you are already in a bad way, I do not see carrying around an empty container for a rare event to be practical.

I used to stuff the empties inside my jacket - the web belt kept them from falling out. But now with body armor being standard attire, that option is ruled out.

Thus leaving

1) reinsert in mag pouch. This takes time, and you may need to have your eyes on something else, and it allows for the possibility of withdrawing an empty mag.

2) ditch the mag. This supplies your enemy and may be embarrassing if your resupply is ammo but no mags.

3)snap onto a carabiner for careful upside down insertion in mag pouch at a future time.

4) ????

edited to add: yes, I know a auto rifleman or machinegunner doesn't need a place to stick mags he doesn't carry. The illustration was meant to emphasise just how much stuff an infantryman carries, without adding an empty dump-bag.

Last edited by gunplumber; October 11, 2005 at 20:37.
Old October 11, 2005, 21:19   #55
SHARPSHOOTER

FALaholic #: 11782
I have never been in special operations, but I have been in combat mind you it was before I guess I even knew what a dump pouch was or maybee I was not high speed enough to know what a dump pouch was, but we used to just stuff empty mags in an empty cargo pocket or your jacket like GP said. When I worked for the DOC and I was on the SORT team at the facility where I worked I still did not have a use for a dump pouch because we had a very specific equipment loadout for our mission and when I was in Iraq the time I was in the field or on the road going somewhere I did not have any room or need for a dump pouch. I was too busy carrying all the loaded mags and other mission essential items I could stuff into my gear. I do not even think a dump pouch is a good idea in training because we always trained under the old cliche "You fight like you train and you train like you fight." There are a lot of people here who have been there and done that some real operators as it were. You could learn a lot from them I know I have.
Old October 12, 2005, 07:38   #56
doktor_ecchs
Registered

FALaholic #: 17863
In regards to "old school versus new" a quote comes to mind:" Old age and treachery will always triumph over youth and skill". I don't know who said it but I've found it to be true over and over again...

as ever,
Dr. X
Old October 12, 2005, 22:02   #57
moonbat60
Registered

Hey Dr. X !

Very true, that quote......... personally, I was at my very prime in my 30's, when I gained more experience about life's ups and downs. Being skilled and gung - ho doesn't cut it, because there might always be someone to outsmart you.

In Germany I've heard the saying : " The younger foxes might be quicker, but the older ones know their burrows a lot better " . LOL !

Right now, as I'm in my mid 40's, I wish I would be as energetic as at age 25 or so. I'd be raising hell in a handbasket.......

Pete
Old October 13, 2005, 15:59   #58
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Least I ain't a poser like some of you old fools.

There I was . .. . knee deep in handgrenade pins . . . .

I know PLENTY of prior services jackoffs that don't know rat shit from rice crispies, let alone what's REALLY effective in tactical shooting. If you were combat arms, and you were current, you'd have a much better idea of what's going on in the tactical world..

Well, I probably have more time in a T-10 then he's got in a T-shirt, but its getting a bit tedious - maybe time for that ignore button.

Or maybe I'll sic Rambette, the pirate from Hell on him . .. . .

Everything I know I learned on Miami Vice

Old October 13, 2005, 17:02   #59
Sword of Laban
Registered

FALaholic #: 8248
GP thanks for the carabineer idea, I was Air Force and we seem to have missed that trick. I hated my dump pouch, too many important things to pack around without having a big assed empty pouch hanging there. I used my cargo pockets as well. KA poser picks! What a cutie!!

Ronin, TI would be embarrassed for you brother. I actually thought you must be joking but then I remembered some of the non flying officers in the AF and figured hey this guy is not only for real but he will probably fit in. The reason that you have garnered so little support in this thread may have something to do with the fact that you come across as a stark raving lunatic. Obsessive compulsive disorder can come in useful sometimes but really no one gives a rip about your dump pouch. You want a dump pouch, go for it. Personally I think the kindness that GP and the others have shown you in this thread may have simply been to give you enough rope to hang yourself with, and boy did you!

I still find it difficult to believe you could possibly be this persistent and blatantly offensive. Perhaps you will take this as constructive criticism but I have a feeling that you will not. Yes this is the same SoL.

“When they’re using a mosque to do command and control for insurgents and kill my fellow Marines and soldiers and airmen that are out here — no holds barred, the gloves are off,” said Marine Staff Sgt. Sam Mortimer.
Old October 13, 2005, 18:18   #60
762 shooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 13431
Ronin, you are a stand up guy. It takes character to type what you just typed. Welcome to the files.
All of my mags go on the shooting bench to be reloaded when I'm done if anyone cares.
Old October 13, 2005, 21:45   #61
Sayeret Tzanhanim
Registered

FALaholic #: 5716
Man, did this turn into a dick-wagging contest or what?

Ronin556, just drop it.I'm sure you'll great and wonderful Tier-one things...

Gunplumber, man do you still have that hook in your mouth. C'mon, brother-man - you're above that shite.

GP - load tailored to the mission - very good point.
I've used LBE/LBV with 13 mags and a grenade pouch on the right (good for carrying Copehangen - cause to tell the truth, I have never thrown a grenade at a living person)

Most recently, 12 rounds 5.56, One smoke, one frag, MBTR, 3 mags 9mm, 1st Aid, etc

Scenario bags are a great idea - marked and packed

The minimum load I think should be 200 of whatever your long gun is
Like many here, I have used M16/M4 for the last 20 years so that is the weapon I am comfortable with
FAL would be my second choice - but I need to fine tune and shoot it much more before I completely trust it. Nothing personal...I love that gun.

About the mag pulls, I've found its better to have only one mag pull on one mag per pouch - Under stress, I have pulled out a handful of mags before! Very embarrassing.

I always used my left side cargo pouch for mag dump. Its only for tactical reloads anyway. A no-shit mag change and I let it drop

All of this is just technique. It all works if you train with it. You want to hear a group of grown-up men squabble like children, just ask them some CQB advice

"Stack on door knob or hinges? Breacher number one or two man or opposite"?
Hoooly shit.
"And you shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and you shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place."
Old October 14, 2005, 00:35   #62
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by 762 shooter
Um, Ronin accepted responsibility for his shite. Handed out decent apologies. I think they should be graciously accepted.
Uh - which post was that?

This one?

I bet less than half of you actually know wtf you're talking about, or have seen a combat loadout in the last 20 years. . .. Least I ain't a poser like some of you old fools. Just because you slow-fire at the range once a month, you're in the know? I know PLENTY of prior services jackoffs that don't know rat shit from rice crispies . .. Being prior serivce REMF's from the 80's doesn't exactly put you at the top of the heap, did you know that?
Old October 14, 2005, 11:22   #63
Sayeret Tzanhanim
Registered

Ronin556

Don't sweat it dude. I think it happens to everybody their first few posts. Recently I started posting on AR15,com after being a member for a few years.
Man, those dudes are pretty highstrung:

"Ooh! Ooh! should I get the rail-covers in Coyote-tan or in Dark-earth"?
"Get Dark-earth man, Coyote is sooo Enduring Freedom"!
"No f*ck, you...Coyote tan has served the special operations community with distinctionblahblahblah..."

One dude didn't like the vertical fore-grip I use because it looked "horrible"

For f*ck's sake

I use it cuz it don't break off. Took it off my M4 and now it's back on my CAR-15

There are quite a few ninja-fags over there.
Welcome aboard.
We're not so self-impressed over here.
ST
"And you shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and you shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place."
Old October 14, 2005, 14:16   #64
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
AR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paracord magpul.jpg (24.8 KB, 1498 views)
Old October 14, 2005, 14:18   #65
Sword of Laban
Registered

I have been in pissing contests and been 100% wrong as well. You take a gut check once you pull your head out of your ass and man up, Ronin mostly did that now but really needs to abase himself at GP's feet a bit first. I don’t know GP personally but he has always impressed me with his knowledge and ability to not get worked up.

AR15.com, I avoid that place like the plague, I think a lot of the boy's over there think their weapons are sex aids.

Great advise on the situation bags, I am going over my gear and am going to rebuild my load outs using that suggestion. Light , Medium and hvy. LBE with 4 mags, Chest rig with six and LBV with 8 or 14? LBV iss MOLLE so I can swap the pouches around quickly. 14 FAL Mags, I had better be defending.

Being a ex maintenance puke its not like I am going to be called up to do a combat patrol but if a disaster, what have you happens it doesn’t hurt to look like I know what the hell I’m doing. I do use the Hvy load at tactical rifle match one way range. I don’t get things done quite as fast as the lightly encumbered folks but I also don’t get penalties for exposing myself to threats. Take my time quickly engage “threats” as they come up while using cover from the other targets. Unless things really get messed up here in the US0fA that’s the only type of combat shooting I will ever see.

Not totally posing but still not anything like the real thing, just training.

“When they’re using a mosque to do command and control for insurgents and kill my fellow Marines and soldiers and airmen that are out here — no holds barred, the gloves are off,” said Marine Staff Sgt. Sam Mortimer.
Old October 14, 2005, 14:26   #66
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
G3 with the zip tie stiffener...

From http://www.renegaderecon.com/article_details.php?id=47
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g3 paracord magpul.jpg (10.6 KB, 1472 views)
Old October 14, 2005, 14:30   #67
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Ronin mostly did that now but really needs to abase himself at GP's feet a bit first

Not necessary, nor desired.

But I haven't seen anything that even vaguely resembles an apology to the whole group of members to whom he directed his filthy diatribe. I am curious what you and 7.62 shooter are viewing as an apology.

By the way, kudos to you. Train as you will fight - some of the shooting course I have attended had students wearing the most interesting gear - quick draw speed stuff. I typically wear what I would normall wear. Sure, its slower to draw from concealment if you have to sweep a jacket and use an IWB holster, but who walks through the grocery store with a thigh holster (well, this is AZ, and I have seen it. . . .. . including a security guard carrying a Gerber Mk II in a calf holster. I asked if he was going to stab the shoplifter on Isle 3 . . .?)

Speed is a function of economy of movement and repetiton. I used to do revolver drills at a friend's place and he had a a little bucket on a pedestal next to the shooting station he used for dumping his cylinder. We were at a different range doing el presidente drillls and he faltered because he had trained himself to "save his brass" and was looking for his dump bucket!

Old October 14, 2005, 14:41   #68
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Thanks for the pics.

I know the tape is sticky but what prevents the para cord from being pulled free from the tape? I guess the good GI green duct tape will hold it and as everyone knows, the longer that shit's stuck to something, the harder it is to get off. Just seems if you were a wee bit stressed, you could pull one side of the para cord off.
Old October 14, 2005, 14:50   #69
JoeLad
Registered

FALaholic #: 3353
Quote:
Originally posted by idsubgun

I know the tape is sticky but what prevents the para cord from being pulled free from the tape? I guess the good GI green duct tape will hold it and as everyone knows, the longer that shit's stuck to something, the harder it is to get off.
That's a no shitter there. Last year I bought some used M16 mags on eGay from a Marine out in San Diego. Most had the OD green duct tape on them, with busted para cord still attached. It made me wonder how the cord was broken, and just when/where it happened. And getting the tape off was a PITA.

JoeLad
Old October 14, 2005, 14:58   #70
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

kindof hard to tell from the pic - but the way I do it is 1 -1/2 wraps of 1/2 width OD Duct tape with the ends of the cord facing the bottom of the mag and flush with the bottom and the loop to the top.

Then fold the loop down and 1-1/2 more wraps. This way, the cord can't come off unless the tape itself is torn off with it.

I've seen AR mags with a knot through the hole in the floorplate, but I don't think this gives enough of a loop.
Old October 14, 2005, 15:59   #71
Sword of Laban
Registered

Totally agree TS! That’s why I went with coyote, didn’t want the real warriors to think I was light in the loafers just because I don’t know s&!^. My magpulls are green tape though…

Having respect for my BTDT advisers who through my introduction to EBR suggested I train how I would fight I have strove to do just that. Lots of good competitors have suggested that I use more match specific speed gear, I am always close to really good times. Great guys that I do respect but I am not there to win the competition but to shoot in damn uncomfortable positions at targets that present minimal opportunity to engage, are always in surprising locations and somewhat resemble in a faint way a combat type environment.

GP you are right, he really didn’t come out and apologize to the huge number of people he degraded in his posts. He only started admitting that he was not the god of war. The fact that he was putting down veterans pissed me off even more and just saying sorry is not nearly enough, thus the abasement comment. Crapping on been their done that’s is inexcusable behavior. Even in the rare cases that you are right it still shows poor judgment, a lack of class and honor to call them old fools.

Old October 14, 2005, 17:33   #72
Sayeret Tzanhanim
Registered

Quote:
Totally agree TS!
You know I was being sarcastic, right? Referring to my previous post, that is.
Old October 14, 2005, 17:53   #73
Sword of Laban
Registered

Naturally I was infering a jest from your comment about AR15.com.

FAL's rule, poodles drool. I got that one from my seven year old daughter.

Old October 14, 2005, 18:05   #74
AGC
Registered

FALaholic #: 12444
Quote:
Originally posted by gunplumber
kindof hard to tell from the pic - but the way I do it is 1 -1/2 wraps of 1/2 width OD Duct tape with the ends of the cord facing the bottom of the mag and flush with the bottom and the loop to the top.

Then fold the loop down and 1-1/2 more wraps. This way, the cord can't come off unless the tape itself is torn off with it.

I've seen AR mags with a knot through the hole in the floorplate, but I don't think this gives enough of a loop.

I actively discouraged my soldiers from doing the "knot under the floorplate" loop. I've seen a bunch of magazines rigged this way that ended up unserviceable. Sometimes they were salvageable with a new floorplate; sometimes the floorplate retention tabs were broken.

The tape attachment seems a better idea, especially the double wrapping. The zip-tie stiffener sounds like it's worth trying as well.
Old October 14, 2005, 22:43   #75
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
Well, after all of that.... what can I say??? What Ive used for many years... since the early '80's, is EITHER- Chicom six mag chest pouch filled with 30 rnd AR mags or with 30 rnd AK mags, plus the one in the gun. Also a Makarov or an S&W .38 snubbie.
I've used all these things over the years, trust them (and me) and appreciate the relative weight savings. My HKs, M1A, .45 autos, BHP etc etc are for using and enjoying but the facts is all that truck is too heavy/bulky to lug for long at my age. The AR Bushie carbine is the lightest and most ergonomic- while I have trusted my life to the AK and can use it in my sleep. Both are "stock".
Pistol use? Appendages when I have my rifle and smaller is good enuff. My tune may change if faced with stopping mobs of rape-crazed New Orleanians from 100 yards after my rifle runs dry...
These weapons are in good ballistic nylon carry cases with pouches on the sides, cleaning kit and the pistols. A handful but all there and good to go. The wife knows what and where should she get a call for my "briefcase". A Cold Steel knife is with each, and a small stone is in my duty bag.
The pull-tab on the mags... that will be done to mine soon.. and the ammo carton with extra loaded mags.. Wonder why I never considered that before?!?? I hate friggin loose ammo in my pockets.
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats
Old October 17, 2005, 01:32   #76
hunterwarrior
Registered

FALaholic #: 6862
Found in my file archives. These are all in PDF format for easy printing.

Gear Recommendations

1st Line Gear is SURVIVAL GEAR

2nd Line Gear is FIGHTING GEAR

3rd Line Gear - Light is LIVING GEAR

3rd Line Gear - Heavy

"Rifles are inanimate objects that have no will of their own. As such, they may be used by evil men for evil purposes. While an evil man may not be persuaded by propaganda, he may certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-- Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC Ret.
Old October 17, 2005, 06:28   #77
mparrish
Registered

FALaholic #: 775
Ronin,

I'll take you on, albeit briefly. In the matter of gear, why chat about it here? The schoolhouse will beat the shit into you when the time comes. Frankly, the last thing I cared about was more worthless shit on me, like a dump pouch, when the pack and webbing was pushing 80#+.

Relax, take a deep breath. By the time you get done with Basic, then schoolhouse, then Survival, you'll get to know why we streamline to essentials. You should know that from your training experience (BTW, I am not aware of anyone in country using dump pouches but some are using loops, tabs, Magpuls, whatever - why not address this at www.ROMAD.com, if that is your desired AFSC).

Oh, when you start floating out about TACP and throwing out terms like that, you never know who is watching, who has contacts at the schoolhouse. Past experience as a ROTC goober will have some help but doesn't make ya a stud. Just remember that. Watched a few egos get deflated and sent off to other schools at the schoolhouse.

Relax dude.

Oh yeah, BTDT. Falcon 33. Out in 99. Ain't special, just doing my thing now.

PS - as a cop humping 15+# worth of bat belt crap these days, I can guarantee the idea of having as little as possible strapped some way to your waist is constantly reinforced. Was in my ROMAD days, still is today.

PPS - cookie eating privledges??? Now THAT's funny!

(and probably true . . . )

PPPS - IBTDB

Hunting liberals is a fun sport.
Old October 17, 2005, 13:36   #78
Sayeret Tzanhanim
Registered

mparrish, well done.
"Thus endeth the lesson"
Old October 17, 2005, 14:47   #79
doktor_ecchs
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Sayeret Tzanhanim
About the mag pulls, I've found its better to have only one mag pull on one mag per pouch - Under stress, I have pulled out a handful of mags before! Very embarrassing.
A very good point...more good information!

as ever,
Dr. X
Old October 17, 2005, 18:52   #80
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

for those who like the mag pulls, I am selling off the ones I am not using dirt cheap

3 dozen 9mm
1 dozen 7.62
1/2 dozen .223

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=152485
Old October 17, 2005, 21:26   #81
moonbat60
Registered

Magpulls

Hey Mark !

What's wrong with those mag pulls ? Tired of those, or just wanting to get rid of them ?

Pete
Old October 17, 2005, 21:39   #82
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

nothing is "wrong" with them - they are all brand new and they perform exactly as advertised.

For my method of carry, I prefer the para cord. If I was to use a 2-deep chest pouch or combat harness, then I might keep them, but In the mag pouches I use, they make for a too tight fit, and for lack of a more scientific explanation, I prefer my old-timer-grandpa-wannabe-hasbeen-para cord from the 80s. Back before the average 12 year old paint-baller had more technologically advanced equipment than an Batallion of Airborne Rangers.
Old October 17, 2005, 21:40   #83
BlackCat
Registered

FALaholic #: 1677
What's the skinny on the new crop of leg-mounted LCE that's going around?
I vaguely recall seeing a more complete setup in Brigade Quartermasters or somesuch, but I saw this- http://www.texastacticalgear.com/ind...on=show_detail - tonight over at Texas Tactical and it made me think of it.

Anyone use a setup like this with groundbreaking results, or is it just another ploy to fink over some ninjas?
"They don't rule the night. Nobody does. They don't have the strength of ten men....Sometimes they'll go wild, start coming right at you. You'll be screaming 'No, no, no' and all they hear is 'Who wants cake?' They all want cake."
Old October 17, 2005, 21:48   #84
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

I've seen similar rigs employed by crew chiefs/door gunners on pave-lows - one with an MP5K PDW.

In viewing the ad, however, I am reminded of a pet peeve - and that is ANY pouch that is advertised to be Both m-16/AK 47 AND HK G3/FAL/M-14.

My experience has been that it has to be EITHER one or the other.

a 20 rd .308 mag simply sits too deep in an AK mag pouch for effective retrieval. You can ram a few battle dressings at the bottom to elevate them, but its working around what I see as a defect. It took me a long time to find a chest pouch that was dedicated .308 and not a fit-everything compromise. (got from Tim Weaver @ Practical Tactical)
Old October 17, 2005, 22:53   #85
Sayeret Tzanhanim
Registered

The molle/spear off-side platforms are beneficial for CQB (flash bangs, pro-masks, dump pouch, 1st. Aid, what-not). I never use them. Just more stuff. I'm sure there are those that use them and swear by them, but I would guess they would be SWAT/SRT, CAG, DevGroup, etc. Any fruity contractor wearing one just likes to look cool, I'd wager.
There's gotta be a balance between flexibility and speed vs. munitions and protection.
Old October 17, 2005, 23:00   #86
BlackCat
Registered

FALaholic #: 1677
Practical Tactical, eh?

I've been looking for a dedicated 7.62 getup, and looking at what they offer, I'd probably opt for the SST Mag Pouch (FAL/M1A only- looking good)
http://www.practicaltactical.net/Detail.bok?no=105
on the MESA Assault Vest
http://www.practicaltactical.net/Detail.bok?no=62
To keep things streamlined and practical.
A cleaning kit, navigational bits, and general utility could be handled by a pair of smaller Maxpedition pouches up top. 100 oz resivoir for the back, connected to a Wilderness belt and Spec-Ops buttpack and it seems like a pretty no-nonsense rig. I'm not planning on donning a ninja mask and breaking through any skylights, just wandering around the homestead South Africa style- should the need arise.

I think its a bit of a shame that Spec-Ops doesn't make a dedicated 7.62 pouch, I like their products and prices.
"They don't rule the night. Nobody does. They don't have the strength of ten men....Sometimes they'll go wild, start coming right at you. You'll be screaming 'No, no, no' and all they hear is 'Who wants cake?' They all want cake."

Last edited by BlackCat; October 17, 2005 at 23:08.
Old October 17, 2005, 23:04   #87
Opie
Registered

FALaholic #: 11730
While I can't really say "been there, done that" I can say that after 12 years of service, I pack only the essentials with me. I take notes on what other people have done, and if I like the idea I use it, modify it to work for me, or I just flat try something else. Just because it's not for you doesn't mean that it won't work for someone else. On the same note, why push off something you use like it's the gospel? Will I use a mag pouch? Nope, not because it's a bad idea, but rather I know that I would pack unneeded shyte in it instead of using it for the purpose that it is intended for. Would I use a Chest-pouch? Nope, but for the simple fact that I deem it unnecessary to have something like that for three mags. I'm more inclined to use a bandoleer and strippers/loaders if it comes to that at present. If I have to shoot 60 rounds and I still haven't been able to get myself out of a tight spot then I have a problem, and this really applies only to a SHTF issue anyway.
Old October 18, 2005, 09:15   #88
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

the first is the .308. Not Made by practical tactical, I forget who made it - but I bought it from PT. The second is surplus south african.

On the former, I like it because of wide straps that do not criss-cross. criss-cross straps annoy me as they seem to scissor on my kneck. Fasteners are heavy - debateable whether superior or inferior to velcroe.

On the latter, straps too thin and they criss-cross. the shoulder pads are fine but they taper into 1/2" webbing that cuts because its so thin.

I think 4 pouces would have fit fine.

I attached a canadian puuch on one side and a glock on the other ina UM 84 bus I haven't decided if I really like it there.

Old October 18, 2005, 12:22   #89
Sayeret Tzanhanim
Registered

Quote:
training is that you need to stay alive
That's right.
Mission planning, target intelligence, teamwork (team cohesion and good buddieswho know you and how you move) and training are more important
(I mean hell, that's METT-T) than execution - because all plans change.
I'd love to have a Callahan plate carrier but in the final analysis, it wouldn't help me if I had no head above the ears.
Old October 18, 2005, 20:10   #90
moonbat60
Registered

Hey guys !

I agree pretty much on Opie's , gearlogo's and Sayeret's post. I served for 5 yrs on active duty in the ( West ) German Army with 1st Div. LRRPs,and got out as an SSG. I was still with reserve LRRPs for another 16 years after that.

In LRRP we used to carry all of our gear, as our CO used to tell us : " A man is born with two legs, not two or four wheels " . This was quite some endeavour, most of the time, and going with lots of cussing and swearing. But in the end, I found still some enjoyment in it all, and I benefit from that great training till today.

Regarding all the issues debated here, I support mostly gearlogo's views. The most important thing is that you need to stay alive and well. That way, I figured out what I need in some possible engagement, and what I could carry comfortably for an extended period of time. So, a protective vest is out, for I'd rather like to go light, and have more freedom of movement and the ability to move fast. So, I also don't fancy chest carriers or tactical vests, for when I need to get down, I don't want to lay on two layers of mags and get my butt shot off.

You can have the best equipment that money could buy, but if you ain't got the right training and the right mindset, forget about engaging in more than a bar room altercation. If you give an untrained or poorly trained soldier the best equipment, he won't be able to work miracles, for most of the time he will not be able to use it effectively, and the likelihood of him getting killed or injured is much higher .

If you give a well trained soldier good to average equipment and he knows what to do with it, chances that he might come back unhurt are much higher.

To Ronin ........you are quite entertaining, I really laughed a lot.......join the mall ninjas, that might be right up your alley ( if they don't kick you to the curb as well..... ) !

Pete
Old October 27, 2005, 23:05   #91
ballistic308
Registered

FALaholic #: 16124
A bump for the thread.

I personally have an S.O.Tech. patrol vest in which I carry 12 30rd mags for the AR, or 11 20rd mags for the PTR-91 or FAL.

I also have a "reduced loadout" which consists of 9 AR mags or 8 .308 mags., etc., etc.

I just like getting ideas from others. Keep em' coming!
Old October 28, 2005, 09:26   #92
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

I read in McBride's "a rifleman went to war" that the combat load for one of his mach9neguns - apparently a mix of captured maxims, vickers, and Colt 1917s) was 60,000 rounds a day, and one gun had to fire 28,000 rounds pretty much continuously. The discussion was on autoloaders for the average rifleman and his opinion was the bolt action was fine because the infantryman was already overloaded with his 100 rounds, which wasn't enough to last him even a day!

During the Somme, he had 12-15 men doing nothing but carrying ammo up for his sections' guns..
Old October 28, 2005, 12:12   #93
Sayeret Tzanhanim
Registered

Quote:
12-15 men doing nothing but carrying ammo up for his sections' guns
They must've had REALLY cool vests!

Point well made - ammo load should be support the task
Old October 28, 2005, 15:01   #94
redbear
Registered

FALaholic #: 18443
I've kind of assumed that mym "combat load" would be the same as my Bug out bag and my SHTF bag. That being said, I have someone else to consider. The little lady has asthema and a very terrible shoulder due to a car accident, she's a pretty ddecent shot, but can't handle recoil well. that being said, betweent eh two of us;

Kimber Eclipse Cusotm II w/3 mags [loaded with Pow'r'ball]
Russian Makarov w/2 mags [loaded with corbon]
100 extra rounds of .45 ACP [loaded with speer gold dots], sealed
100 rounds of 9X18 [laoded with silver bear], sealed
Hungarian AMD-63, 5 mags [loaded with mil-spec]
Bulgarian AKM-74, with Kobra sight, 5 mags [loaded with barnual]
700 rounds 7.62X39,sealed
750 rounds 5.45X39, sealed
4 man tent
12 MREs
2 gasmasks
Ka-Bar
Swiss card
surefire flashlight
cell phone
2 heavy winter coats
2 wool blankets
First aid kit
one moth supply of Asthema medicine
Aspirin
hammer, punch, screwdriver
complete rifle cleaning kit, with oil and solvent in a small container [4"X6"x2"]

Items I'm hoping to add in the immediate future;
sewing kit
glo-sticks
water purification tablets

Any ideas of what else I shjould add/consider?
Old October 28, 2005, 16:16   #95
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

A whellbarrow in which to carry it?

Hey - I'm only half kidding.

On the Morman Exudus to Salt Lake City, there were several "handcart companies"

Basically, a small rough-terrain wagon designed to be pulled by a man.

And it was used in Early WWII and maybe WWI also to pull the 1917 watercooled browning and its anciary equipment. It could be pulled by a vehicle, or have the gun set up for use and manhandled by the crew.

Not a whole lot different than the limbers of the napoleonic era for the light field cannons.

And I recall some experimenting in Gulf War 1 with man-portable wagons for hauling casualties and heavy crew served weapons like the 81mm mortan and the TOW II.
Old October 29, 2005, 07:02   #96
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeLad

I carried 7 mags of 5.56, two USGI canteens, first aid kit, bayonet, flak jacket, steel pot, and M16 quite easily. JoeLad
that's cause you one big son of ...

us little guys will have to travel lighter and forage.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
Old October 29, 2005, 18:02   #97
doktor_ecchs
Registered

Redbear,
As far as what to add to your list, I would suggest getting more asthma medicine. It never really dawned on me how important stuff like that would be until I read Rawles' book "Patriots", and just the idea of their group not stockpiling enough coffee made me realize the importance of erring on the side of excess as far as medicines (and ammo, for that matter) are concerned. If your lady needs the stuff to breathe, seems to me you couldn't have enough of it, just in case events took longer than a month to blow over...

as ever,
Dr. X
Old October 29, 2005, 19:04   #98
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
Quote:
Originally posted by gunplumber
A whellbarrow in which to carry it?

Hey - I'm only half kidding.

On the Morman Exudus to Salt Lake City, there were several "handcart companies"

Basically, a small rough-terrain wagon designed to be pulled by a man.

And it was used in Early WWII and maybe WWI also to pull the 1917 watercooled browning and its anciary equipment. It could be pulled by a vehicle, or have the gun set up for use and manhandled by the crew.

Not a whole lot different than the limbers of the napoleonic era for the light field cannons.

And I recall some experimenting in Gulf War 1 with man-portable wagons for hauling casualties and heavy crew served weapons like the 81mm mortan and the TOW II.
I'd suggest investing in a bike to go with it for good conditions (but of course you have a horse) but look into non-gasoline powered sources of transportation in case the bug-out runs out of bug-juice.
Old October 29, 2005, 19:32   #99
B Wood
Registered

FALaholic #: 5579
Mark - the chest pouch you have is made by High Speed Gear in Jacksonville, NC. Tim W from Practical Tactical sells them as most here know. High Speed makes some of the best tac gear out there.

I have two High Speed Gear set ups....one is the Mesa vest from Practical Tactical / High Speed. Great vest. Mine is set up for 7.62mm Nato at the moment.

The chest rig I have is a High Speed Gear Denali rig. Damn thing is TOUGH. Your chest pouch is basically the mag section of the Denali rig. The Denali has two drop down sections for maps / etc. Love mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic001.jpg (67.7 KB, 1420 views)

Last edited by B Wood; October 30, 2005 at 06:36.
Old October 29, 2005, 19:34   #100
B Wood
Registered

FALaholic #: 5579
Here is the Denali rig with the map section open
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic002.jpg (65.7 KB, 1411 views)
Closed Thread