The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2018, 10:20   #1
mp
Registered
 
mp's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 654
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 2,892
New Project - Mosler vault door restoration

Was perusing the local State surplus auction warehouse last week, and stumbled on a deal I could not pass up. An old school Mosler combo lock vault door--man size. Unfortunately (except for the price!), this is the door only, not the frame. Some research indicated it was a 1950's-1960's era Mosler File Room Fire Proof Door, and the sucker weighs several hundred pounds. Best part was the $15 tag on it.

So I bought it. Have had a couple of vault doors bookmarked in the $1700-$2000 for the future. Dragged it over in the back of my pickup to the local safe shop and got them to crack and reset the combo lock for a whopping $35 plus tax. It was easy

Next step is to construct a frame and find some heavy duty hinges. Thinking 3/8 angle iron should be sufficient for the frame. Found a couple sets of fairly inexpensive 900 lb rated hinges on line, if I cannot build the missing frame side halves.

Then I will crate it and save it for our "forever house" to be remodeled/constructed when my wife retires from Active Duty and quits moving around. I have always wanted a fairly secure "gun room" and this should do the trick. And I should be able to keep this project under $250!

I will take pics of the process and if and when I figure out how to post them on this forum, I will do so.

Last edited by mp; June 21, 2018 at 10:28.
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 11:29   #2
sjohnson
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 24502
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 443
I once tied rebar for a concrete pour to match a small bank vault door (8 layers. Overkill, maybe?). The contractor I worked for kept payroll, etc in that built vault.

If you can use a permanent safe structure in your buidling, rebar and concrete make for a fairly easy, reasonably priced and VERY secure box for a good vault/safe door.
sjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 13:06   #3
mp
Registered
 
mp's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 654
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
I once tied rebar for a concrete pour to match a small bank vault door (8 layers. Overkill, maybe?). The contractor I worked for kept payroll, etc in that built vault.

If you can use a permanent safe structure in your buidling, rebar and concrete make for a fairly easy, reasonably priced and VERY secure box for a good vault/safe door.
That's the idea. I am in Texas, so no basements. I don't want to create a room with a bad ass door, and then the bad guys bust through the drywall and climb through the wall next to the door. My hope is a custom built house, and a designed room.
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 15:24   #4
sweetwine
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 21594
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 477
Just wondering why is there no basements in Texas? I like the safe door idea should work well.
sweetwine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 16:44   #5
hydrotx
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 37
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Wandering around.
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwine View Post
Just wondering why is there no basements in Texas? I like the safe door idea should work well.
Depending on where he is in Texas, it could be bedrock almost at the ground surface or if on the gulf coast water almost at the ground surface. I donít think in any of the cities Iíve lived in down there did we have a basement.
__________________
"The drinking will continue until morale improves"
hydrotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 17:11   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 34604
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SA Tx
Posts: 13,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwine View Post
Just wondering why is there no basements in Texas? I like the safe door idea should work well.
Like hydro says. There aren’t that many hills. If there are it’s limestone and will be a split level if it has to be dug out. In the east the water table is probably 5 ft under. Another factor is the ground doesn’t freeze so utilities don’t have to be as deep. I always though a basement would be cool till I actually had one. Curse the bastard that came up with the idea

As far as a room cinder block reinforced with concrete and rebar down the holes ain’t going to be easy to penetrate
__________________
Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 19:24   #7
easttex
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 20438
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 3,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Like hydro says. There aren’t that many hills. If there are it’s limestone and will be a split level if it has to be dug out. In the east the water table is probably 5 ft under. Another factor is the ground doesn’t freeze so utilities don’t have to be as deep. I always though a basement would be cool till I actually had one. Curse the bastard that came up with the idea

As far as a room cinder block reinforced with concrete and rebar down the holes ain’t going to be easy to penetrate
Basements are cool!! I know exactly two back in Nacogdches. Both are up on tall, sandy hills in soil that drains well. That's two basements that I know of around East Texas though so they're a bit of a rarity.

Basements have their advantages, but if the water table is high or the soil doesn't drain well, you're boned! I'd love to have one, but only in the right location.
__________________
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files