The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old June 21, 2018, 10:20   #1
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
New Project - Mosler vault door restoration

Was perusing the local State surplus auction warehouse last week, and stumbled on a deal I could not pass up. An old school Mosler combo lock vault door--man size. Unfortunately (except for the price!), this is the door only, not the frame. Some research indicated it was a 1950's-1960's era Mosler File Room Fire Proof Door, and the sucker weighs several hundred pounds. Best part was the $15 tag on it.

So I bought it. Have had a couple of vault doors bookmarked in the $1700-$2000 for the future. Dragged it over in the back of my pickup to the local safe shop and got them to crack and reset the combo lock for a whopping $35 plus tax. It was easy

Next step is to construct a frame and find some heavy duty hinges. Thinking 3/8 angle iron should be sufficient for the frame. Found a couple sets of fairly inexpensive 900 lb rated hinges on line, if I cannot build the missing frame side halves.

Then I will crate it and save it for our "forever house" to be remodeled/constructed when my wife retires from Active Duty and quits moving around. I have always wanted a fairly secure "gun room" and this should do the trick. And I should be able to keep this project under $250!

I will take pics of the process and if and when I figure out how to post them on this forum, I will do so.

Last edited by mp; June 21, 2018 at 10:28.
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 11:29   #2
sjohnson
Registered

FALaholic #: 24502
I once tied rebar for a concrete pour to match a small bank vault door (8 layers. Overkill, maybe?). The contractor I worked for kept payroll, etc in that built vault.

If you can use a permanent safe structure in your buidling, rebar and concrete make for a fairly easy, reasonably priced and VERY secure box for a good vault/safe door.
sjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 13:06   #3
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
I once tied rebar for a concrete pour to match a small bank vault door (8 layers. Overkill, maybe?). The contractor I worked for kept payroll, etc in that built vault.

If you can use a permanent safe structure in your buidling, rebar and concrete make for a fairly easy, reasonably priced and VERY secure box for a good vault/safe door.
That's the idea. I am in Texas, so no basements. I don't want to create a room with a bad ass door, and then the bad guys bust through the drywall and climb through the wall next to the door. My hope is a custom built house, and a designed room.
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 15:24   #4
sweetwine
Registered

FALaholic #: 21594
Just wondering why is there no basements in Texas? I like the safe door idea should work well.
sweetwine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 16:44   #5
hydrotx
Registered

FALaholic #: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwine View Post
Just wondering why is there no basements in Texas? I like the safe door idea should work well.
Depending on where he is in Texas, it could be bedrock almost at the ground surface or if on the gulf coast water almost at the ground surface. I donít think in any of the cities Iíve lived in down there did we have a basement.
Old June 21, 2018, 17:11   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwine View Post
Like hydro says. There aren’t that many hills. If there are it’s limestone and will be a split level if it has to be dug out. In the east the water table is probably 5 ft under. Another factor is the ground doesn’t freeze so utilities don’t have to be as deep. I always though a basement would be cool till I actually had one. Curse the bastard that came up with the idea

As far as a room cinder block reinforced with concrete and rebar down the holes ain’t going to be easy to penetrate

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 19:24   #7
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Like hydro says. There aren’t that many hills. If there are it’s limestone and will be a split level if it has to be dug out. In the east the water table is probably 5 ft under. Another factor is the ground doesn’t freeze so utilities don’t have to be as deep. I always though a basement would be cool till I actually had one. Curse the bastard that came up with the idea

As far as a room cinder block reinforced with concrete and rebar down the holes ain’t going to be easy to penetrate
Basements are cool!! I know exactly two back in Nacogdches. Both are up on tall, sandy hills in soil that drains well. That's two basements that I know of around East Texas though so they're a bit of a rarity.

Basements have their advantages, but if the water table is high or the soil doesn't drain well, you're boned! I'd love to have one, but only in the right location.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote