The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old May 04, 2017, 22:47   #51
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Actually can mate every piece to matching fatigues, usually in Nomex or other fire resistant varients, Goretex cold weather/rain gear down to gloves socks, balaclavas, helmet covers and more. Mostly buy uniforms for flight crews and airborne troops as more pockets, better made and madatory fire resistant now. Armored vehicle crews are getting issued similar now. Got email in today's batch going through from my Brit hookup, said he has samples of Brit version of Multicam on way. Soon as in his hands will forward to me. In addition to used, new old stock am a dealer for a small but we'll made U.S. vendor and trying to get a Safariland/Protech and other brands they have absorbed. When selling to doctors they prefer new kits with current manufacture dates and warranty cards. While buy mostly NOS for myself, over half still had tags and makers honored the start of five year warranty from my date of purchase as first user.

Have a rule, every piece of body armor can snipe for $30 or less buy. On occasion get new in sealed package, sometimes lemons but use those for testing older and abused vests. Never had a U.S. name brand Kevlar, Spectra, Gold Shield or anything but Zylon fail and it was made from Chinese supplied fibers. Had one Tworn fail purchased purposely from Hong Kong. With latest shipments now over a dozen rifle kits plus half dozen panels to be sacrificed. Have dozens of level 2a, dozens of 2 and same with 3a. Have over 150 trauma plates of which 50 or so are in the shoot it up pile. Once start buying volume, sellers find you and clear stock that they don't need, I do and do it at fair prices.

When get all data compiled own url coolbulletarmor.com, coolbulletproofing.com, coolbullets.com, coolfirearms.com, coolhandguns.com, coolmachineguns.com, coolpistols.com, coolreloadimg.com, coolrifles.com, coolshotguns.com, coolsilencers.com, coolwheelguns.com, coolammunition.com, coolar15.com, cool1911.com and negotiating on more to build a super site with no advertising. Can pull a good effort out of the ground just with my stuff but when reach out to friends and family will get deep. One first cousin has over 30 full autos and all are nice units. It's a lot of product type catalog shots, action shots and will have to stream some video. Acquired three GoPro cameras along with a high definition camera and working on slow motion video. May take a few years but going to put together a site where only bias is mine. Won't owe my soul and reviews to sponsors and folks who donate materials. Takes longer as its all cash out of my pocket but my server will handle it.

When start adding electronics, radar hacking, seismic sensor arrays, fill out ham radio, microwave, solar, green energy, generators, battery banks and all the toys I play with then have friends add their projects will be fun. Have over a dozen friends with pole transformers. When turn a pole pig into a capacitor have some real energy. We built a capacitor bank with over 1,000 capacitors once for a project and wanted to see how many could link. One too much out of spec and would pop then like Christmas lights figuring out which bulb blew. Haven't even begun to touch on gas masks here, breath packs, air filtration and such. Going to mostly concentrate on building it all into my sites than roll into multiple threads that roll off every few weeks.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2017, 07:45   #52
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Actually can mate every piece to matching fatigues, usually in Nomex or other fire resistant varients, Goretex cold weather/rain gear down to gloves socks, balaclavas, helmet covers and more. Mostly buy uniforms for flight crews and airborne troops as more pockets, better made and madatory fire resistant now. Armored vehicle crews are getting issued similar now. Got email in today's batch going through from my Brit hookup, said he has samples of Brit version of Multicam on way. Soon as in his hands will forward to me. In addition to used, new old stock am a dealer for a small but we'll made U.S. vendor and trying to get a Safariland/Protech and other brands they have absorbed. When selling to doctors they prefer new kits with current manufacture dates and warranty cards. While buy mostly NOS for myself, over half still had tags and makers honored the start of five year warranty from my date of purchase as first user.
I'd recommend standardizing on one uniform/camo style for your group, easier to identify each other and the enemy.

Quote:
...Have a rule, every piece of body armor can snipe for $30 or less buy. On occasion get new in sealed package, sometimes lemons but use those for testing older and abused vests. Never had a U.S. name brand Kevlar, Spectra, Gold Shield or anything but Zylon fail and it was made from Chinese supplied fibers. Had one Tworn fail purchased purposely from Hong Kong. With latest shipments now over a dozen rifle kits plus half dozen panels to be sacrificed. Have dozens of level 2a, dozens of 2 and same with 3a. Have over 150 trauma plates of which 50 or so are in the shoot it up pile. Once start buying volume, sellers find you and clear stock that they don't need, I do and do it at fair prices.
You must have a big home with lots of storage space.

Quote:
...When get all data compiled own url coolbulletarmor.com, coolbulletproofing.com, coolbullets.com, coolfirearms.com, coolhandguns.com, coolmachineguns.com, coolpistols.com, coolreloadimg.com, coolrifles.com, coolshotguns.com, coolsilencers.com, coolwheelguns.com, coolammunition.com, coolar15.com, cool1911.com and negotiating on more to build a super site with no advertising. Can pull a good effort out of the ground just with my stuff but when reach out to friends and family will get deep. One first cousin has over 30 full autos and all are nice units. It's a lot of product type catalog shots, action shots and will have to stream some video. Acquired three GoPro cameras along with a high definition camera and working on slow motion video. May take a few years but going to put together a site where only bias is mine. Won't owe my soul and reviews to sponsors and folks who donate materials. Takes longer as its all cash out of my pocket but my server will handle it.
That sounds interesting.

Quote:
..When start adding electronics, radar hacking, seismic sensor arrays, fill out ham radio, microwave, solar, green energy, generators, battery banks and all the toys I play with then have friends add their projects will be fun. Have over a dozen friends with pole transformers. When turn a pole pig into a capacitor have some real energy. We built a capacitor bank with over 1,000 capacitors once for a project and wanted to see how many could link. One too much out of spec and would pop then like Christmas lights figuring out which bulb blew. Haven't even begun to touch on gas masks here, breath packs, air filtration and such. Going to mostly concentrate on building it all into my sites than roll into multiple threads that roll off every few weeks.
Not sure what your point is here, why use a device designed to step voltage up or down as a capacitor? Also, capacitors are good for releasing energy quickly, but not maintaining an EMF, a battery bank makes more sense. While they use huge capacitor banks for fusion research and they store huge amounts of energy (they need to bleed the energy from the grid over months or they would cause blackouts) it is the ability to dump the energy quickly which makes a capacitor desirable, not for providing energy over time. Plus, a lot of transformers have PCB's, wouldn't want them getting shot and leaking all over your compound.

Also, why would you connect the capacitors in series? The effective capacitance is increased in parallel, and is reduced in series. If you're connecting them in series (i..e checking for burnt out Christmas tree lights), you're doing it wrong.
rowjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2017, 10:53   #53
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Did someone say batteries? This is just one of my stacks as installing to keep house online till generators fire or run in silent mode. So yes, I need a pole pig and lots of stiffening capacitors to keep voltage sag to a minimum.

Maintaining work stack, look up those batteries multiply times 16 per rack and calculate total run time of critical systems. Add in most of house swapped to low voltage for efficiency.

Better have lots of these to balance charge cycles and not smoke a battery. Charge controllers are not cheap but cheaper than an entire stack going into thermal run-away. Seen that in others stacks.

Small battery rack at work before moved to house.

Don't forget to keep small devices running.

How about robots?

How about emergency emcomm antennas that are kept in Faraday boxes in Faraday caged rooms and radios in protected boxes to back up the radios on the benches in shacks?

If these are the radios at work, wonder what this lunatic has in his house. Notice the radar and satellite based radio transmitted weather fax. Can you pull the satellite images from the worldwide weather fax system without turning on your television? That idiot box is first th I ng their pulling the switch on.

Need a few batteries under work shack radios so don't have to go throw the switch on big stack in middle of an important comm.

The weather fax that used to live in my bug out kit, now part of the bug in kit but could be loaded if stack Faraday boxes in the truck. It's a big freaking 6×6 28,000 pound GVWR with a Caterpillar, either crush what's in my way or drive power line cuts, all the maps for S.E. Power Grid are in paper form under the seat.

Mine and wifes backup headgear, PASGT helmets, SGE 400/1 masks, Nomex balaclavas, chemical hoods, plenty of filters and third and fourth redundant U.S. issue masks pre SGE and Israeli. The SGE 400/3 masks and MICH helmets are upstairs in close reach. Not a big house but it's hard and my wife tolerates me long as her panic room is comfy and bomb proof.

Here is a nice set of lightweight plates that most defiantly stop M855 green tip, 308 ball, 7.62×39 steel core and 5.45×39 penetrators, have enough room on test plate to burn with one of the new M855A1 bronze tip and a 7.62×51 bronze.

One of the many stacks of armor, nah couldn't have a clue as to how this stuff works, wears or performs....

Some trauma plates getting sorted to shoot and save piles, go to Stealth Armor Systems and look at items and prices. That guy is pure genius and has only lightweight flexible level 3 multihit armor on the market.

These were in the shoot for fun and education pile.

Shot the sh!t out of this set, nice panels just too heavy but not as heavy as steel. Stopped 308 ball and we're holding up to M855 till end of a magdump started overlapping previous hits. Saved two sets cause tested so well. And no, they are not disentegrating into dust in my basement.

Has the Dr in the link shot the crap out of dozens of different polycarbonates, acrylics, steel, aluminum and composite layers of homebrew armor that can stop 338 Lapua AP? Learned how to do that with lots of work and testing.

Aluminum alloys can be tough, notice how well the little 40 grain 22 rimfire did, hmmm.

Wish I could keep playing but these nice folk are waiting on me to check in to preop so keep pain level down in the back so can keep off the narcotics. Didn't even get to post the plates that came in today's early mail. But no, don't know sh!t from Shinola about generators, batteries, capacitors, electricity in general, body armor, clean air or squat. Keep on flaming and share some expert information also. All of 2016 and thus far 2017 without any Oxycontin after a five year run of the crap. Gotta head into preop, toting all my sh!t will break a man's back.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat

Last edited by hueyville; May 05, 2017 at 11:22. Reason: fix misordered picture
Old May 05, 2017, 11:42   #54
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:

Wish I could keep playing but these nice folk are waiting on me to check in to preop so keep pain level down in the back so can keep off the narcotics. Didn't even get to post the plates that came in today's early mail. But no, don't know sh!t from Shinola about generators, batteries, capacitors, electricity in general, body armor, clean air or squat. Keep on flaming and share some expert information also. All of 2016 and thus far 2017 without any Oxycontin after a five year run of the crap. Gotta head into preop, toting all my sh!t will break a man's back.

Well, you didn't answer my questions, you just engaged in bravado and became indignant.

Why would you use a transformer as a capacitor? (i.e. turn a pole pig into a capacitor)? These were your words.

So why did you connect capacitors in series if looking to increase energy storage?

Capacitors can certainly be used to smooth out the supplied emf from a battery bank, as well as but you never alluded to power conditioning with what you initially wrote.

I assume you've got the inverters to go with them?

I didn't realize asking a question was flaming. You're a bit sensitive, better up your pain meds.

Post more pictures.

Since you're off the pain meds, are you allowed to go to the range and post video of your 6 second el prez like you said you were going to do?
Old May 05, 2017, 12:36   #55
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Finally checked in, these arrived today before left to Atlanta. Had gotten a sample before, shot one over crusty level 2a armor panel over fifteen years old and stopped high pressure 40 Smith which is my benchmark along with 357 Magnum specialty loads that exceed 357 SIG exterior ballistics. From my testing of common current carry handguns and police issue the 40 Smith and 357 SIG are the most likely to shred soft armor and soft trauma plates. There are some really nice 9mm projectiles now so even 3a without a special threat plate can be compromised by over 50 over the counter common semi-auto handgun rounds at present. Plates are mandatory or may as well leave the armor at home unless perp shops at Wallyworld or carries a 380 or 38 and smaller.

These are 6"×9" but will shoehorn in a lot of 5"×8" pockets if sewer gives you a tad extra room. The 6"×9" size has become my favorite size based on daily wear of armor. At surgical center they laugh when take my armor off to put on gown as does not fit in their garment bags and they have to hang next to all the garment bags for other patients to see. The outer half inch of any panel or plate is not rated to make a stop, so have to suck an inch in each direction from actual size which leaves a 5"×8" plate only protecting 4"×7" area which leaves part of heart muscle exposed. Bigger and get uncomfortable working in hot sun. In my few covert vests that will hold an 8"×10" plate run for dress wear when going to Atlanta, church or general public event. Have two covert vests with 10"×12" multi-threat plates for high profile areas but generally only wear to church for Easter and Christmas service or when we do a really big youth event with Christian rock band and can have up to 750+ kids in one room. If something goes down gives me opportunity to get between a perp and the kids.

At church, weddings and funerals where there is a lot of hugging it's a back brace, not a ballistic vest. Doc suggested wearing a brace when work, brought in a level 2 vest and he asked where he could get one. Next trip left him a box with NOS sealed package unit with trauma plate as a tip for getting me off Oxycontin and without major invasive surgery of cervical, thoracic and lumbar fusions. Have to stick with P.T. and my monthly nerve blocks but no narcotics except minor after an especially hard day when get home. Went through nine docs to find one willing to work this hard. If you have serious back issues may want to try wearing a well fit vest, takes a lot of stress off the old back and serves double duty.
Old May 05, 2017, 14:02   #56
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
Well, you didn't answer my questions, you just engaged in bravado and became indignant.

Why would you use a transformer as a capacitor? (i.e. turn a pole pig into a capacitor)? These were your words.

So why did you connect capacitors in series if looking to increase energy storage?

Capacitors can certainly be used to smooth out the supplied emf from a battery bank, as well as but you never alluded to power conditioning with what you initially wrote.

I assume you've got the inverters to go with them?

I didn't realize asking a question was flaming. You're a bit sensitive, better up your pain meds.

Post more pictures.

Since you're off the pain meds, are you allowed to go to the range and post video of your 6 second el prez like you said you were going to do?

Use pole transformer as a capacitor when running very large radio amplifiers as when key down the voltage sag till line power catches up will smoke a set of tubes that cost several hundred to over a thousand dollars each and have to replace all together, match each one then do a proper 24 hour burn-in. You have thus proven yourself totally ignorant of running high power radio transmit amps let's move on. Have you ever built a big Tesla Coil or Jacobs Ladder? Once you hit a size that run above voltage that comes out of your panel the pole pig is charged and then you throw the switch and according to needs a higher than panel voltage can be used. An experimenters pole pig will be modified so top is removable and is set up so home-brew jumpers can be moved to tap voltage you might need for a project.

If want to supply power to neighbors or neighborhood power from my big generator the amount and size of copper bundles to pull that much power would be huge along with a lot of power lost to voltage drop across big copper conductors for distances more than a few feet. Why running a power tool on small drop cord will smoke it quickly. Set a pole pig at each house want to send power then tie into top of their distribution panel. Now can step voltage up, send through skinny steel or even aluminum (not recommended) wires. Reason Tesla's AC power beat out Edison's DC power due to huge amount of copper that had to be run and a power station for each neighborhood. This proves you not only don't understand basic AC or DC electrical theory nor are you even well versed in history as even someone who has studied history understands Westinghouse beat out Edison with Tesla's AC because it could be transmitted for long distances with skinny and inexpensive wires but Edison tried to scare entire country by inventing the electric chair and powering it with AC.

So when SHTF and neighbors decide who wants to cooperate can choose a few to supply a few hours of electricity on a schedule with own small grid without trying to power entire existing area that may be intact and connected to my house. Why have to disconnect from grid when run generators during power outage. My big diesel three phase will come out pig on pole in front of my house with enough voltage to smoke some poor power worker or if shorted, power comes back will smoke my generator. Post SHTF will burn out three houses unless we have enough participants show for party need the space and will send a team to clear them and put friendlies in them. Will take my bucket truck and scavenge enough pole pigs and yard warts to string up a small local grid. Anyone contributing can run a few approved devices during times I choose to power it up. Can use my whole house personally and have power till all fuel reserves run out so not powering others every time I need a teaspoon or cup of power to charge batteries or run critical devices. As is, already have two pigs. One for hobby other as start of a personal power grid, with my two and one on pole in my yard can run three houses without going hunting.

Now we have come full circle from your incessant and middle school level flames. Already on cot with I.V. dripping and first load of Zofran and Valium given and can handle your ignorant attempts. One time try to add useful content and I would be so stunned might pass out. As to your video of an el pres, still stealing another's original flame. Two year wait on gun club membership though shot an el pres in public recently. Why don't we show up same place, have someone provide identical weapons set up for Simunitions and IDPA legal holsters. We will square off at 21 feet and see who turns out blue?

Last edited by hueyville; May 05, 2017 at 16:47. Reason: Delete Double Post & Fix One Word
Old May 05, 2017, 15:03   #57
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
You can say that again.
Old May 05, 2017, 17:24   #58
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Finally checked in, these arrived today before left to Atlanta. Had gotten a sample before, shot one over crusty level 2a armor panel over fifteen years old and stopped high pressure 40 Smith which is my benchmark along with 357 Magnum specialty loads that exceed 357 SIG exterior ballistics. From my testing of common current carry handguns and police issue the 40 Smith and 357 SIG are the most likely to shred soft armor and soft trauma plates. There are some really nice 9mm projectiles now so even 3a without a special threat plate can be compromised by over 50 over the counter common semi-auto handgun rounds at present. Plates are mandatory or may as well leave the armor at home unless perp shops at Wallyworld or carries a 380 or 38 and smaller.

These are 6"×9" but will shoehorn in a lot of 5"×8" pockets if sewer gives you a tad extra room. The 6"×9" size has become my favorite size based on daily wear of armor. At surgical center they laugh when take my armor off to put on gown as does not fit in their garment bags and they have to hang next to all the garment bags for other patients to see. The outer half inch of any panel or plate is not rated to make a stop, so have to suck an inch in each direction from actual size which leaves a 5"×8" plate only protecting 4"×7" area which leaves part of heart muscle exposed. Bigger and get uncomfortable working in hot sun. In my few covert vests that will hold an 8"×10" plate run for dress wear when going to Atlanta, church or general public event. Have two covert vests with 10"×12" multi-threat plates for high profile areas but generally only wear to church for Easter and Christmas service or when we do a really big youth event with Christian rock band and can have up to 750+ kids in one room. If something goes down gives me opportunity to get between a perp and the kids.

At church, weddings and funerals where there is a lot of hugging it's a back brace, not a ballistic vest. Doc suggested wearing a brace when work, brought in a level 2 vest and he asked where he could get one. Next trip left him a box with NOS sealed package unit with trauma plate as a tip for getting me off Oxycontin and without major invasive surgery of cervical, thoracic and lumbar fusions. Have to stick with P.T. and my monthly nerve blocks but no narcotics except minor after an especially hard day when get home. Went through nine docs to find one willing to work this hard. If you have serious back issues may want to try wearing a well fit vest, takes a lot of stress off the old back and serves double duty.
I'm art my daughter's graduation right now on my phone. I'll get back to you later to point out where you're wrong. I've got a busy weekend but I'll try to find some time.

I'm game for the simulations thing. It seems unfair though . Are you some kind of competition shooter? I had to look up what idpa meant.
Old May 05, 2017, 18:17   #59
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
#1: I'd recommend standardizing on one uniform/camo style for your group, easier to identify each other and the enemy.

#2: While they use huge capacitor banks for fusion research and they store huge amounts of energy (they need to bleed the energy from the grid over months or they would cause blackouts) it is the ability to dump the energy quickly which makes a capacitor desirable, not for providing energy over time.

#3Plus, a lot of transformers have PCB's, wouldn't want them getting shot and leaking all over your compound.

#4: Also, why would you connect the capacitors in series? The effective capacitance is increased in parallel, and is reduced in series. If you're connecting them in series (i..e checking for burnt out Christmas tree lights), you're doing it wrong.
#1:
Because I am a collector as well as a hoarder. Bought the first Brit Kit specifically because wanted a rifle vest to use with my British L1a1's. Just like intend to buy an Aussie rifle rated kit to go with the Aussie kit and a German Flectarn rifle kit for the G1. Yes, they are not time period correct but I don't want any 1960's heavy flack jackets. Like the British Multicam which is coming, will notice even got all accessories for first Brit Kit in proper pattern and more on the way for the one without bicep, shoulder and neck protection plus is front opening. Almost an exact copy of U.S. IOTV. Will get both in the Multicam and when grab an inch rifle will be no doubt which vest has correct magazines. Grab Flecktern and know it is set up for metric. Aussie just because I can, why do my uniforms need to be standardized, not forming a militia, feds get all goofy and put you on another special list for that.

#2:
Exactly what I use capacitors for myself, store energy. Have a couple of 48 volt DC capacitors from locomotives, a few from buses and now scavaging from hybrid and electric cars. If using big inverter(s) (modified square wave because cheap square wave units will fry sensitive electronics and can't afford big true sine wave units) powered from my battery banks if put a sudden hard draw the battery voltage will sag enough the inverter will fault and trip it's breaker or snap a fuse. When rectifying DC to AC for something that needs significant number of watts a big DC capacitor is necessary. Also same for AC, as mentioned before, radio amps. Some of the big 220/240 volt units will pull more watts than panel can feed quickly when key down so need something to feed that initial need for inrush current when using an industrial amp designed to be fed from a much bigger panel than typical 150 or 200 amp home panel. Tap your pig for 240 and use it as energy storage device. Also may have a 477 volt industrial device want to run off your home panel and move your taps for 477 volts and move right along. Can also take a fairly large AC capacitor, remove the bleed off resistor, rig an inexpensive DC to AC rectifier so a battery keeps your cap nice and crisp then have a couple of taps that if a zombie were to bridge the gap and cause it to discharge all a person would find is a pair of smoking boots with zombie genetic residue spread around the area. That is some survival stuff right there. Anywhere post SHTF near your hide that has natural cover or concealment just place devices that are as simple as an old television flyback scavenged for free, get it charged and have some simple breadboard circuitry to let a motorcycle battery or similar keep it hot and when zombies go to cover then zap goes the zombie.

#3:
Actually PCB's in their manufactured state are not harmfull. Plenty of people worked in plants making transformers and other things that use them for a lifetime with no harmful effects. It's not till something such as overheating, exposure to U.V. and such causes PCB's to release dioxins which are the problem. If the power companies properly service their transformers and keep the oil topped off then take out of service if start arcing across the windings then the oil properly disposed is fine. PCB's in water break down very slowly and unless had already begun the process of releasing dioxins before spilled or dumped into a river they are not the worst thing we have dumped in our rivers. Actually fecal coliforms leaching into rivers from septic systems due to all the people who have to build with a river or lake view then don't maintain their septic systems are causing more issues. Why my entire septic system was replaced before moved in this house and neighbors still have raw sewage running into lake whenever it rains hard plus their kitchen sink, dish washer and cloths washer bypass septic and just run out a pipe and into lake. But till overheating due to low oil or arcing issues actually boil or burn PCB containing oil it is relatively safe. Not to mention PCB's were outlawed over 30 years ago and both my pole pigs were made after Y2K as purchased them new to replace an old one that started to show signs of oil contamination. Guess chemistry is not one of your strong suits either, parroting the same environmentalists that can't realize that the planet is still emerging from an Ice Age and warming is part of that process. When it reverses it's going to suck when glaciers extend down to Texas. Been elbow deep in many a pole pig making mods, not dead yet but for every minute it takes off my life it added an hours worth of fun.

#4:
Some of us scavenge. Take apart microwaves for capacitors, magnatron tubes, limit switches and more. There was time when cameras used an item called film. Toward the end of those days disposable cameras became very popular. In every one was a AAA battery, flash unit and capacitor to absorb energy slowly from battery then dump into flash fast enough and at voltage to fire it. Had a friend at Wallyworld that would get a 50 gallon garbage bag full per day, sometimes more. Would rip apart and had thousands of free batteries to run my devices and capacitors for projects. When a person becomes a hobbiest, half the fun is making the items at hand do the job you need. So if have over a thousand free capacitors that can solder in series and parallel for nothing get major street cred for cobbling together free items scavenged from common household devices into whatever device are building. If you were an electrical hobbiest would know that it's like running an FAL you assembled and restored yourself, most of the world could care less but here it gets a person some extra street cred.

Come on now, everythin I am posting have copied but has some survival use. If your going to plagerize, share some survival tips. If flaming is only intent, be original. If Nutzz sets in on me then it will be some freaking game as he pulls my chain so hard at times actually take it personal before he calms me down.
Old May 05, 2017, 18:21   #60
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I'm art my daughter's graduation right now on my phone. I'll get back to you later to point out where you're wrong. I've got a busy weekend but I'll try to find some time.

I'm game for the simulations thing. It seems unfair though . Are you some kind of competition shooter? I had to look up what idpa meant.
i.e. need time to Google all of this information and see if some web content helps you find a small crack to exploit because it's not stored on your own internal hard drive that some call a brain with knowledge of subject being discussed. Am just off anesthesia and full of IV Fentanyl and don't need Google. Still haven't taken the hint to trim a quote, eh?
Old May 06, 2017, 10:50   #61
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

What's unfair about a matched set of pistols set up to fire Simunitions supplied blind to both of us and IDPA legal holsters? Since you Googled it should realize means a holster gun doesn't fall out of if bend over to get something off bottom shelf basically. They might just hand us each a Glock and have only fired one that was a factory sample at range back in 1980's. Unsure which end is even the business end of one and might still be trying to find the safety after you shot me three times.

Only 90 minutes from my 24 hour post anesthesia time limit to wear off, took only one pain pill last night so almost ready to get dressed and go to work. Hopefully will be something fun in the delivery drop box so that can post fresh material. Remember, if your next post does not contain any survival content other than flaming my posts going to ignore and see if Nutzz will show you how to administer a proper internet spanking with some survival content to keep it on topic for the survival area. Otherwise go to the basement and flame away to a telephone pole or rock.

Edit:
So many people confuse the facts and lump Dyneema, UHMWPE and PE armor into same catagory and specifications. See below quotes to see difference between Dyneema, UHMWPE and PE. HWMPE falls between the two in durability and stopping ability with all being very similar in weight though a slight edge goes to Dyneema in stopping ability, UHMWPE is more temperature resiliant but if its above 100° Celcius, I will die of heat strike before a gun shot. These are three distinctively different products, I own all three and front panels of my most likely to be used rifle vests are true Dyneema with UHMWPE rear panels to cost average price of panels and assuming will be fighting forward though UHMWPE rears are rated 3+ as opposed to 3++ on my fronts.

Quote:
High Energy Absorption:
Dyneema® fibres can absorb extremely high amounts of energy. This property is utilized in products for ballistic protection. But this makes the fibre equally suited for products such as cut-resistant gloves, motor helmets and to improve the impact strength of laminated boat hulls. In these applications not only the high tenacity is used but also the high energy absorption.

Durability:
Dyneema® fibres are produced from polyethylene and do not contain any aromatic rings nor any amide, hydroxylic or other chemical groups that are susceptible to attack by aggressive agents. The result is a highly crystalline fibre with excellent resistance to water, moisture, most chemicals, UV light and micro-organisms. Unlike some other anti-ballistic fibres, Dyneema®*fibres do not swell or hydrolyse in water, sea water or moisture.

The high molecular weight polyethylene used to produce the Dyneema® fibre, is also well-known as an engineering plastic.

As an engineering plastic, it is especially used for its superior wear and abrasion resistance.

So it is not surprising that Dyneema® fibres, too, have good abrasion resistance. Carbon fibres and glass fibres have a high modulus and a brittle breaking mode, but Dyneema® fibres demonstrate that this is not an obvious combination. Dyneema® fibres have a high modulus but still are flexible, with long flex life.

Thermal Properties:
Dyneema® has a melting point between 144 and 152 º C depending on the test method used.

The tenacity and modulus decrease at higher temperatures but increase at sub-zero temperatures. There is no brittle point found as low as minus 150ºC, so the fibre can be used between this temperature and the 80 to 100ºC. Brief exposure to much higher temperatures will not cause any serious loss of properties.

Absorption Of Ballistic Energy:
Most important in ballistic protection is the level and the mechanism of energy absorption at ballistic speeds. The specific modulus of and the sonic velocity in the fibre determine the anti-ballistic potential whilst wearing comfort is achieved because of the very light weight and flexibility of the sheet material.

Dyneema® UD In Police Vests:
A special sheet called Dyneema® UD is best at stopping bullets. Dyneema® UD is a unidirectional construction in which the yarns are not woven but lie parallel to each other. Using Dyneema® UD the minimum weight is needed for protection at different levels, the body armour is flexible and gives good wearing comfort. Dyneema® UD is not affected by water or sunlight and needs no special protection.

Another important consideration is the blunt trauma effect. Due to the high sonic velocity within the fibre, the impact energy is dissipated very rapidly over a large area. This makes for the low blunt trauma, the indentation on the inside surface side of the vest.

Armoured Cars:
Police cars can be readily armoured using Dyneema® protective armour panels. Armour panels are most commonly used for protection against 9mm bullets, the threat mostly encountered by police forces.

Dyneema® panels weigh only 6.5kg/m². Thus, they can be installed in car doors without changing the hinges or the door itself. At the end of the service life of the car, the armour panel can be removed and re-used. The original door panel can be mounted back again.

Dyneema® light weight armour can also be used for protection against heavier ammunition. The thermoplastic armour is easy to form, is not affected by light or moisture and can be processed using standard equipment. For common FMJ (full metal jacket) ammunition such as 7.62 NATO Ball and 5.56 Ball, no steel or ceramic strike face is needed.

Military Helmets:
Military helmets are normally designed to protect against fragments.

Several helmet designs using the Dyneema® fibre in different forms and in different matrix systems have been tested using 1.1.gram (17 grain) FSPs (fragment simulating projectiles). Best results are obtained using thermoplastic resin as the matrix system. Service life of this type of helmet promises to be long and wearing comfort is very good due to its low weight.

The effects of sunlight and moisture are negligible, as with all other Dyneema® products.

Hard Plate Inserts Against Rifle:
Hard armour plates an be used to upgrade soft body armour.

A unique feature of the full-Dyneema® inserts is that they protect against all common rifle bullets without a heavy steel or ceramic strike face.

Continued Expansion:
DSM High Performance Fibres built a third production line. This raised production capacity for Dyneema®*fibre by another 500 tons per year. The new facility came on stream in 1997 and boosted production capacity to 1500 tons. The third production line used the innovated gel spinning technology, the same technology as used in the second line that came on stream in 1996.

The innovated technology makes it possible to produce Dyneema®fibres having a strength of approximately 4 N/tex. This is 30% stronger than the present Dyneema® fibres and almost twice the strength of standard-grade aramid fibres.

A forth fibre production plant opened in 2001 in Heerlen and a fith fibre production plant in the USA.

Latest Process Technology:
DSM Dyneema® remain at the forefront of research, development and application of UHMWPE fibres.

Since the introduction of the Dyneema® fibre DSM High Performance Fibres has achieved essential innovations in the patented gel spinning process for the superstrong polyethylene fibre. These innovations led to steady improvement in the strength of the Dyneema® fibre.

This was initially achieved by optimising the process parameters without affecting the stability of the process.

The first Dyneema® fibre grades of the new quality are Dyneema®SK75 and Dyneema® SK77. Dyneema® SK75 is used in ropes and cordage and in ballistic protection. Dyneema® SK77 will be the top in anti-ballistic fibres and have a tenacity of about 4.0 N/tex (45 g/den).

Dyneema's® position as the strongest fibre in the world is clearly reinforced with these new fibre grades.
Now for some info on UHMWPE and shows the three products are all different in specifications and perfomance. Can't lump all lightweight panels together. Look at how wide it's temperature tolerance is. Can't leave in heat or sun? Think again, like Dyneema, if sun killed it all of our desert troops helmets would turn to dust.

Quote:
UHMWPE's melting point is around 130 to 136°C (266 to 277*°F), and, according to DSM, it is not advisable to use UHMWPE fibers at temperatures exceeding 80 to 100°C (176 to 212*°F) for long periods of time. It becomes brittle at temperatures below −150°C (−240*°F).

UHMWPE fibers are used in armor, in particular, personal armor and on occasion as vehicle armor, cut-resistant gloves,bow strings, climbing equipment, fishing line, spear lines for spearguns, high-performance sails, suspension lines on sport parachutes and paragliders, rigging in yachting, kites, and kites lines for kites sports. Spectra is also used as a high-end wakeboard line.

For personal armor, the fibers are, in general, aligned and bonded into sheets, which are then layered at various angles to give the resulting composite material strength in all directions. Recently developed additions to the US Military'sInterceptor body armor, designed to offer arm and leg protection, are said to utilize a form of Spectra or Dyneema fabric. Dyneema provides puncture resistance to protective clothing in the sport of fencing.
This is where people get crossed up and think Dyneema is not as durable because some will apply PE standards to all similar plates across the board without researching each properly. PE is the lowest on the food chain of super lightweight body armor panels. It is still a lot of bang for its cost and weight.

Quote:
The ballistic performance of Polyethylene may be adversely affected, or permanently reduced, by prolonged exposure to ambient temperatures below ~ MINUS 15°F ( - 26 °Celsius) and over 150 °F (65 ° Celsius). Polyethylene plates must never be exposed to open flame, excessive direct sunlight, UV exposure or any hot surface. Heat damage to the external surface (e.g., melting) is a visual clue that the plate may have been exposed to elevated temperatures. If damage is found, replace the plate. So, don't take any chances by leaving your Rifle Plates in extremely cold or hot environments, OR letting them "cook" in the sun, for example: This model complies with NIJ Standard-0101.06 for Ballistic Resistance of Body Armor.

If it's too hot for your body, DON'T LEAVE YOUR RIFLE PE PLATES THERE--This model complies with NIJ Standard-0101.06 for Ballistic Resistance of Body Armor.

Last edited by hueyville; May 06, 2017 at 12:50.
Old May 06, 2017, 16:13   #62
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Use pole transformer as a capacitor when running very large radio amplifiers as when key down the voltage sag till line power catches up will smoke a set of tubes that cost several hundred to over a thousand dollars each and have to replace all together, match each one then do a proper 24 hour burn-in. You have thus proven yourself totally ignorant of running high power radio transmit amps let's move on. Have you ever built a big Tesla Coil or Jacobs Ladder? Once you hit a size that run above voltage that comes out of your panel the pole pig is charged and then you throw the switch and according to needs a higher than panel voltage can be used. An experimenters pole pig will be modified so top is removable and is set up so home-brew jumpers can be moved to tap voltage you might need for a project.
That's interesting. Why would a voltage sag (you did mean sag, not lag, right/) Smoke a set of tubes? It would seem a spike would be the issue.

Using a pole pig as a capacitor is idiotic given the relative cheap manufacturing cost of a capacitor compared to that of a wound transformer?

Do you actually believe the nonsense you write? This is analogous to using a high end 1911 as a hammer.

Quote:
If want to supply power to neighbors or neighborhood power from my big generator the amount and size of copper bundles to pull that much power would be huge along with a lot of power lost to voltage drop across big copper conductors for distances more than a few feet. Why running a power tool on small drop cord will smoke it quickly. Set a pole pig at each house want to send power then tie into top of their distribution panel. Now can step voltage up, send through skinny steel or even aluminum (not recommended) wires. Reason Tesla's AC power beat out Edison's DC power due to huge amount of copper that had to be run and a power station for each neighborhood. This proves you not only don't understand basic AC or DC electrical theory nor are you even well versed in history as even someone who has studied history understands Westinghouse beat out Edison with Tesla's AC because it could be transmitted for long distances with skinny and inexpensive wires but Edison tried to scare entire country by inventing the electric chair and powering it with AC.
O.K. now you've stepped on your dick, which is quite surprising given how small it likely is. This is clearly why you feel the need to come here and try to engage in self validation. I'm happy someone like Bawana Jim is wowed by your brilliance, but someone who actually sees through your bullshit, not so much. Nothing I wrote ever implied I don't understand any of the things you claim I don't understand. There is no need for me to google anything. In point, the fact that I question why you would use a capacitor as a transformer is evidence I not only understand the topic, but am calling you out on your nonsense and bullshit.

In the example above, you're actually using the transformer for its intended purpose, to step voltage up or down. This process is called mutual inductance and is based upon Faraday's law of Inductance, a symmetric process to that first documented by Oersted in 1812 of a current creating a magnetic field.

Yes, the resistance of a conductor is directly proportional to its length and inversely proportional to its cross sectional area. Yes, that is why you should only use extension cords of prescribed lengths and gauges for operating higher current devices such as power tools, due to the voltage drops incurred upon the wires. You're more likely to simply need to replace the brushes than the entire motor though. Glad you actually read the owner's manual to your power tools.

Quote:
..So when SHTF and neighbors decide who wants to cooperate can choose a few to supply a few hours of electricity on a schedule with own small grid without trying to power entire existing area that may be intact and connected to my house. Why have to disconnect from grid when run generators during power outage. My big diesel three phase will come out pig on pole in front of my house with enough voltage to smoke some poor power worker or if shorted, power comes back will smoke my generator. Post SHTF will burn out three houses unless we have enough participants show for party need the space and will send a team to clear them and put friendlies in them. Will take my bucket truck and scavenge enough pole pigs and yard warts to string up a small local grid. Anyone contributing can run a few approved devices during times I choose to power it up. Can use my whole house personally and have power till all fuel reserves run out so not powering others every time I need a teaspoon or cup of power to charge batteries or run critical devices. As is, already have two pigs. One for hobby other as start of a personal power grid, with my two and one on pole in my yard can run three houses without going hunting.
They make disconnect switches and distribution panels which can prevent that problem. You should probably get one before you kill somebody.

Quote:
..Now we have come full circle from your incessant and middle school level flames. Already on cot with I.V. dripping and first load of Zofran and Valium given and can handle your ignorant attempts. One time try to add useful content and I would be so stunned might pass out. As to your video of an el pres, still stealing another's original flame. Two year wait on gun club membership though shot an el pres in public recently. Why don't we show up same place, have someone provide identical weapons set up for Simunitions and IDPA legal holsters. We will square off at 21 feet and see who turns out blue?
As GP would refer, much of this is likely the result of your drug addled brain.

Actually, that was me, who challenged you along time ago when you lied and said you could shoot a 6 s El Prez with full power .45 ACP. You're full of shit. You can't do it, the morphine, adderal, oxycontin or whatever the fugk you're on has destroyed a significant portion of your brain.
Old May 06, 2017, 16:15   #63
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:

Come on now, everythin I am posting have copied but has some survival use. If your going to plagerize, share some survival tips. If flaming is only intent, be original. If Nutzz sets in on me then it will be some freaking game as he pulls my chain so hard at times actually take it personal before he calms me down.
Learn to grow a garden and keep some animals. You can't eat your electricity, guns or body armor. It's not as sexy, but a bit more important.
Old May 06, 2017, 16:17   #64
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
i.e. need time to Google all of this information and see if some web content helps you find a small crack to exploit because it's not stored on your own internal hard drive that some call a brain with knowledge of subject being discussed. Am just off anesthesia and full of IV Fentanyl and don't need Google. Still haven't taken the hint to trim a quote, eh?
No dumb ass, i have a degree in physics. I understand electricity.

Small crack? I just have a built-in bullshit detector and can smell you a 1000 miles away.
Old May 06, 2017, 16:20   #65
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
What's unfair about a matched set of pistols set up to fire Simunitions supplied blind to both of us and IDPA legal holsters? Since you Googled it should realize means a holster gun doesn't fall out of if bend over to get something off bottom shelf basically. They might just hand us each a Glock and have only fired one that was a factory sample at range back in 1980's. Unsure which end is even the business end of one and might still be trying to find the safety after you shot me three times.

It is unfair because you are Grand Master Huey and I am D class rowjimmy ...

Are you an IDPA Master too?

Last edited by rowjimmy; May 06, 2017 at 16:45.
Old May 06, 2017, 22:13   #66
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
#1:
That's interesting. Why would a voltage sag (you did mean sag, not lag, right/) Smoke a set of tubes? It would seem a spike would be the issue. Using a pole pig as a capacitor is idiotic given the relative cheap manufacturing cost of a capacitor compared to that of a wound transformer?
(Trim the nasty personal attack, no response warranted)
#2:
Nothing I wrote ever implied I don't understand any of the things you claim I don't understand. There is no need for me to google anything. In point, the fact that I question why you would use a capacitor as a transformer is evidence I not only understand the topic, but am calling you out on your nonsense and bullshit.

In the example above, you're actually using the transformer for its intended purpose, to step voltage up or down. This process is called mutual inductance and is based upon Faraday's law of Inductance, a symmetric process to that first documented by Oersted in 1812 of a current creating a magnetic field.

Yes, the resistance of a conductor is directly proportional to its length and inversely proportional to its cross sectional area. Yes, that is why you should only use extension cords of prescribed lengths and gauges for operating higher current devices such as power tools, due to the voltage drops incurred upon the wires. You're more likely to simply need to replace the brushes than the entire motor though. Glad you actually read the owner's manual to your power tools.

#3:
They make disconnect switches and distribution panels which can prevent that problem. You should probably get one before you kill somebody.
#4:
As GP would refer, much of this is likely the result of your drug addled brain.

Actually, that was me, who challenged you along time ago when you lied and said you could shoot a 6 s El Prez with full power .45 ACP. You're full of shit. You can't do it, the morphine, adderal, oxycontin or whatever the fugk you're on has destroyed a significant portion of your brain.
#1:
Quote:
If you know what a power surge is, a brownout is essentially the opposite. Instead of the voltage surging, the voltage sags. However unlike power surges brownouts are sometimes caused on purpose by utility companies. Putting a power grid into a brownout for some can prevent overloads, stopping a potential blackout. Common and annoying but usually harmless traits of brownouts are flickering lights, the rapid switching on and off of appliances and interruptions to computing and the internet. However when it comes to valuable electronics, the irregular voltage can damage or destroy them. Therefore it is important to know what to do during a brownout, so that the risk of electronic damage is minimized.
Yes I meant sag not lag as it is a very common term to loss of enough energy to properly run a device without damage. Do you want 1, 12 or 20 links where the term is used? Yes, a sag will wreak havoc on high end electonics. Ever heard of a "brown out"? It's one of the reasons a computer is supposed to be on a UPS, to prevent voltage spikes AND sags.

#2:
When already have a pole pig modified for electrical hobby why try to use a wound transformer which is the device in a radio amplifier trying to keep fed a level voltage? I do on occasion use a type of transformer called a variac. When running transformers in series all sorts of extra precautions must be taken such as not letting them get out of phase where the sine waves peak at different intervals. Iron core transformers (except for variac's) can't be tapped for a particular voltage you might need. They also don't store energy to keep current up and are very limited in amperage. Also are very succeptible to overheating and at high voltage and amperage might need a forklift to pick up a wound iron core transformer to do the job a pole pig can easily be tapped to do plus the fact it's submersed in oil helps deal with a lot of overheating issues that would smoke the windings of an iron core transformer. In over two decades of electrical scrounging have never been able to scavenge an iron core transformer that will take the abuse a pole pig does, especially one I can pick up. As to swapping brushes in power tools one of the first things I do when buy a high dollar power tool is buy a spare set of brushes to have when needed. Still doesn't resurrect a tool that been run on a generator with fluctuating frequency based on load and engine lag spooling up the generator behind the tools need. Longer the drop cord on jobsite is more the issue is magnified.

#3:
First thing I did to my house was have a new meter base set with a disconnect switch/fuse. Can isolate the house from the grid immediately if need to as can fire department before entering structure to search for the panel. Business has a three phase disconnect that looks like something out of a Frankenstein movie if open up. It's so robust only replaced the fuses once in 30+ years after a harsh power surge from a lightning strike. Both have big Leviton brand whole structure surge protectors wired into the panels as well. As to the typical distribution panel that runs on most undersized backup generators they usually have a very limited number of circuits. A total waste of extra money when you know the maximum peak output and average maximum constant run wattage of a generator and the peak start up watts and run watts of your devices. If running the medium size generator have to turn off the HVAC before turning in oven to bake a pie. When pie is finished then HVAC can be brought back on line. HVAC is on a switch and no big deal to flip it on or off. The big generator is overkill. Long as HVAC, television (on UPS to filter nasty generator power) a few lights at a time and the microwave can all run at same time we are pretty cozy. I flip the emergency disconnect and the mains off in top of panel so there are two layers of protection from outgoing power to grid which may harm a worker or incoming that would damage generator if out of phase. Do have a grid tie inverter that matcheys battery stacks and alternative power to grid in case want to feed power back into the grid when appropriate and get some discount off electrical bill.

#4:
Not even engaging on that rude attack, said I no longer take regular pain medication and was a long hard road getting here. Adderal? Know what it is, never seen it guessing you know more about it than me. Also have said nobody is goading me to post any picture or video just to prove they are capable to social engineer another into complying with their demand.

Quote:
Learn to grow a garden and keep some animals. You can't eat your electricity, guns or body armor. It's not as sexy, but a bit more important.
Have said more than once both myself and neighbor have long term storage seeds along with his nice flat, well maimtained garden space that is large enough to support three to four families. Most of our seed stock is for vegetables that will store through the winter in cool corner of basement protected from light. Have that covered, no room for livestock except maybe a goat. Till population decimated have plenty of deer and tree rats. Saw two deer today and five in back yard last week. If sat patiently could shoot one daily. Reason have so many 25 pound bags of salt is to salt cure meat when have no refrigeration. Have plenty of traps in various size and design and experience running a trap line and can tan a hide.

Quote:
It is unfair because you are Grand Master Huey and I am D class rowjimmy ... Are you an IDPA Master too?
Not shot an IPSC match since A class was top of the heap. Didn't have Imperial Grand Wizard or Grand Wizard catagories. Opportunity to wander the globe climbing mountains was more appealing than shooting drills five days a week to go to a match where spent more time waiting in line than shooting. B class was as high as I made before setting down my race guns and donning a rucksack of climbing gear where the only competition was trying to not let a cold insensitive mountain kill you by avalanche, rock fall, crevasse or falling. Much better view and a lot less people. Not an IDPA shooter either but looking at a new Ghost IDPA and unlimited race gun rig. Considering going to an IDPA match, went to an IPSC match a while back and after two AD's, watching a competator almost drill a range officer, plus about half the folk racking, tapping and beating on their guns trying to make them run decided was not a place I wanted to be and left before shot half my stages.

Like climbing or riding a bike, can still do it but a day of any and my back hurts causing a rest day or two to recover. Missing work resting from day of unnecessary exertion is not high on my priority list when can have all the fun I want on personal ranges. Now that a 60 to 90 pound ruck is absolutely no joy have started picking up my pistols very regular again. Try to shoot 300 to 500 rounds per week along with dry fire drills at home in evenings. Speed has picked right back up but shoot for fun. Like rock climbing competitions had to attend to keep climbing sponsors, shooting competitions just don't seem fun and why dropped off the sport climbing circuit second season as wasn't fun.

So are you going to add any content other than flames as this is losing its appeal as well. Arguing in a demeaning manner is for the basement which I decided was just too icky to enjoy. I do things I enjoy, like collecting and shooting firearms rather than a single minded goal of building a matching platform of equipment to outfit a militia. I really like shooting bullet resistant materials, determining what defeats them, making alterations where the armor wins then working on an ammunition solution to defeat the new stack-out. I like playing with electricity, radios and other devices. No rhyme or reason to any except what enjoy during a particular phase and somehow much of it creates a peg that fits into the survival hole.

A Tesla Coil produces no real equipment could leverage for survival but does have its fun moments. Most big coil builders and ham radio guys that play with big surplus radio station amplifiers have a pole pig. It's part of the equipment that makes many projects easier. Since have them, will use outside of their design parameters as,that is what experimenting is. My wife suffers from environmentally triggered migraines, since have HVAC certifications, clean air training and certification and green energy certification used the combined knowledge to seal the heat envelope of our home to keep our clean air in and dirty out. Set it up to run positive pressure and in manner consumes as little energy as possible.

Wife gets less headaches, we don't get cold during ice storms that take the grid down and after working some events like Katrina, Gustav (not much of a storm), Kentucky ice disaster realize most people are three days to a week from emergency responders help. Working local tornados and FEMA not allowing local licensed logging crews go cut the F.D. into affected areas and get trees off houses so rescue could search we sat on our hands for 60 hours waiting for a Red Cross approved vendor to load and travel from Alabama. Not getting help as fast as may need so based on actual events witnessed have taken some precautionary steps to keep debris from coming through walls or windows and roof intact on house, food to eat and power to live in reasonable comfort. Based businesses off a good bit of this knowledge and don't mind sharing. Why it pissed you off so bad, have no idea. Maybe visiting a psychiatrist might be beneficial for you, I went to a certified pastoral counselor when went slightly sideways after,the two accidents changed my life. Your one slip in the shower away from the same situation. Quite a few have asked questions based on my openness to discuss health issues and leveraged what I shared to improve their situations.
Old May 07, 2017, 18:44   #67
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
.... Based businesses off a good bit of this knowledge and don't mind sharing. Why it pissed you off so bad, have no idea. Maybe visiting a psychiatrist might be beneficial for you, I went to a certified pastoral counselor when went slightly sideways after,the two accidents changed my life. Your one slip in the shower away from the same situation. Quite a few have asked questions based on my openness to discuss health issues and leveraged what I shared to improve their situations.
I'm not pissed, I like you. You crack me up. You've got some valuable skills and that whole rock climbing/ice-climbing gig is totally bad ass shit. I respect that.

You beat me with your wall of words. TTYL. Good luck.
Old May 08, 2017, 05:10   #68
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Don't give up, I want to leverage your physics degree. Am pissed I dropped out of college as think if had shifted majors from an EE/Lit double major to physics would possibly have been interested enough to finish school. Try my best to stay current with theoretical papers coming out but my higher math skills went due to lack of use, head injury falling off tower, seven years on multiple opiods plus chemo or combination of all with them being somewhat weak to start with.

As to survival, we need to discuss the pole pigs more as someone who has a stream or spillway of pond or lake half mile or so away and can't figure out how to tap it for hydroelectric and get the power to house a pair of pigs is their answer. Can generate power from the distamt running water, or wind turbine on far away hill and use distribution transformers to get it cheaply to their house. Have done this and can provide a few pictures but none that will identify the location, it's a matter of finding the slides and scanning them. Haven't discussed blending steam technology with a generator so can burn wood, coal or whatever to get electricity. Had even planned to go downstairs and find at least my service box of motor run capacitors and more. Have doubles in every capacitor that is common to the HVAC market including hard start kits for dying compressors to get another year or two out of it or get it to run after an EMP. Some of us, electricity is as important as fuel as if I don't have my Auto Server Ventilator to keep me breathing at night I am dead. Way past Cpap and BiPap as neither keep my level and have to run on a ventilator that requires clean power. Really compounds my Short Sleeper Syndrome.

If you try to add into this, along with others we can pull some information out not regularly discussed. Rather than be argumentative, why not turn it into more of a debate format and take turns flipping sides. I can argue the variac over a pole pig, especially for operator safety, as well as hacking pigs. (That sounds almost perverted, eh?) Squeeze me and life has presented me with unique problems to solve as sure it has many others and the beauty of a no topic thread. With a degree is physics bet you have a lot to add into EMP protection. I am hoping to get off the same six subjects getting recycled over and over like post SHTF/EMP vehicle. Why I posted the train wreck from SC in the poison ivy thread, yes it's thread drift but could be pulled in here and beaten to death. 99% of people have no idea how dangerous the stuff carried on trains and trucks is and evacuation radius following a wreck of either not to mention a manufacturing plant issue. Let's play in constructive manner with just enough bickering to draw the popcorn and movie crowd. Been up since 4 am and have time, just don't want to pilfer the capacitors till wife wakes up. But your data is valid from a more traditional viewpoint, hobby electronics is based on not being able to go buy the correct size and value of every part for every project so learn to take some items and use outside of design parameters for variety of use. Being able to build/use a variac post SHTF or do,same job with a modified transformer or putting caps in both series and parallel to solve an issue with what's in your hands is the best data. Lots of people like me that can hack almost anything but will die without my endocrinology meds or sleep equipment that will diemelectricity makes it as important as food for us. Still have skills that would benefit a commune type group if don't die fist time try to sleep without my ASV. Have all my old Cpap and BiPap machines in Faraday boxes and trying my best to get insurance to replace my ASV. Meet with sleep doc to discuss this afternoon. I have almost every affliction known and go hump my @$$ doing hard work most days. Yesterday (Sunday) on of my old full timers came in and we got six locations in six hours then four hours of shop time with him tripled my output.
Old May 08, 2017, 14:08   #69
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

To get on with some survival ideas. Below is our secondary headgear set in basement.

A pair of PASGT helmets along with a pair of SGE 400/1 gas masks, multiple Nomex balaclavas, chemical hoods and in cabinet above are two post Vietnam issue gas masks, two Israeli gas masks and a case of Swiss NBC 40mm canisters for standard masks. Like the Swiss units because as good as have found, fair price and relatively small and fit well. These masks are NATO compliant and have shrapnel ballistic ratings and are full face so get as much peripheral vision as a human is capable of. Both have the drinking tube kit and are sealed in plastic bags.

Upstairs wife and I each have an SGE 400/3 setup for one filter on left side so doesn't interfere with cheek weld on rifle, drinking tube and right side filter port has adapter to fix an oxygen bottle in event not enough oxygen in surrounding environment to filter what a person needs. Have small "bail-out" bottles that fit in a jacket pocket or accessory pouch on ballistic best. Also have a few medium size bottles like people carry in stores on little carts with wheels and handle plus two big bottles. Along with the 400/3 masks upstairs are a pair of current issue MICH helmets, Nomex hoods and chemical hoods.

In basement if fire is high possibly or started have two sets of firefighters turn out kits where step in boots, pull pants up with suspenders and multi-layer Nomex and other fiber firefighters coats. Also in same steel box is a pair of surplus firefighters breath packs with mask, hose tanks and regulators full, ready to use. Also has a Stihl rescue chainsaw with rescue blade that will cut through any house debris including wood, nails, wire, metal studs, shingles and more. Also a gas power dry concrete saw with diamond blade. Both have no fuel or oil. In box close by have a 2.5 gallon explosion proof can filled with mix gas for saws and synthetic bar oil for chainsaw. If house collapses on us am cutting a hole out whether on fire or not instead of waiting on F.D. who may be waiting for FEMA to get an approved vendor to.clear the roads from out of state. If think after a tornado(s) cut through your area and Red Cross and FEMA shows that locals have any say your wrong. Not going to use their shiny new trucks to push trees out of the road and start cutting folk out of their houses. Seen exactly this happen. Sometimes, some municipalities are motivated and will come in for you but entire state of Louisiana has proven more than once will sit on their hands till Feds show up to fund and do the work.
Old May 08, 2017, 15:08   #70
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
No Topic Thread

A box to keep it in

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2017, 16:46   #71
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Its an idea but this particular shelving unit is in a room of the basement with no windows. Bottom shelf has two pair of boots for each of us, a set of light hikers and tall/stiff pair of medium/heavy combat boots and Nomex socks and sock liners for feet. next shelf has (in plastic bags like gas masks as are socks on bottom shelf, rip and put on) shrapnel shorts with trauma pads installed, mid weight fire proof insulated underwear in case its cold, fatigue pants, Massif flame resistant combat shirts, flame resistant combat cargo pants and flame resistant combat digital woodland blouse, Next shelf has level 2 overt ballistic vests with 10"x12" Dyneema multi-threat panels with U.S. Marine digital woodland camouflage pattern as all other outerwear is for this particular stack. Hit top shelf where have the Nomex balaclavas, helmets, gas masks, helmets and chemical hoods. Have a pair of digital woodland helmet covers somewhere in a box and not on the helmets yet.

There is a specific reason this is not in a box. Its in the gun room which is also the panic room. If ran downstairs due to storms or downstairs reloading when hear someone kicking doors attempting a home invasion then there is a kit for each of us from boots to helmets on shelf ready to go with things like socks, underwear, insulated base layer, and masks in clear plastic bags. Unlike the missing digital woodland helmet covers are not in a box to have to pull from a stack or rack, open and start sorting. Left side of this shelf unit is wife's gear and right side is mine.

Upstairs we have basically the same thing with boots beside a dresser and a complete uniform set for each of us in drawers including sock liners, socks, insulated base layer, combat shirts, fatigues (bottom and tops), MICH helmets, SGE400/3 helmets, Goretex/Nomex blend fireproof/waterproof outerwear, chemical hoods and more all in flame retardant Multi-cam. Wife's on left, mine on right and even labeled. The upstairs dresser in master bedroom just open the drawer and underwear, socks and such ar first thing in first drawer and as you decide if need winter underwear or not keep opening drawers moving up till totally dressed out and rain wear is there if it may be needed. grab rifle vests off hangers on back of door and helmets out of bottom drawer, put boots on and are dressed about as fast as possible without having to search for a single item. In master bedroom can choose between three treat levels of vests in women's for wife and men's medium for me.

In boxes on shelving units downstairs we have digital ACU flame retardant and Gortex in both digital woodland and a lot of digital ACU because its cheap. Picture in above post will see blue tape and in Sharpie where each side and each level is labeled with whose it is and what it is just to eliminate brain f@rts when in a rush. Thus upstairs and downstairs we each have a complete kit ready to go with zero muss and fuss to find a box and open. Upstairs we do have to open drawers but wife prefers her family to not see a shelving unit with two complete combat kits staked in open. The rack on wall beside bed with selection of poodle shooters, battle rifles and shotguns is enough shock for most along with rifle vests hanging in back of every bedroom and bathroom door and appropriate rifle with some.

Left side of closet:

Right side of closet:

Work vest carriers hanging to dry after wash cycle:

Back of bathroom door:

Back of a bedroom door:

Back of another bedroom door:

Seat of truck:

Grab IFAK and proper mag pouch and slap on velcro patches, until then seat is still usable for passenger.

Thin plates in truck vest and downstairs vests Notice its a pair:

Inappropriately used capacitors. From microwave ovens:

Now imagine the average Mother in Law and Father in Law's first visit to the house of their daughters new husband. My parents had a lifetime to get used to it as their house began to look like this from my early teens and kept spreading like a virus till I moved out. Father in Laws first trip to the basement and the gun room and he was speechless for a few moments. So the basement, especially the gun room and panic room are a mix of shelving units with boxed extra supplies but some units with second line of defense on open shelves ready to grab and go. Upstairs use back of doors to bedrooms and bathrooms then select dressers for first line kits. We have very few guests and children are not allowed but my brothers kids who were raised in similar but not quite as extreme surroundings. I am Mad as a Hatter and Loony as a Tune. Yep, thats me but wife tolerates it and as long as no zombies try kicking down any doors or crawling though windows its all just inanimate house decorations. Except for bedrooms and their baths, rest of house all is discrete so if close bedroom doors, nobody knows anything but some decent art and well decorated house. The Harley in the kitchen throws some but only so many fit in the garage.

If you have to go upstairs or down stairs, unlock or unbox your kit when S is HTF right now, your goose will be cooked and brains eaten by zombies. If house is on fire and there is not a fire extinguisher in reach no matter which room your in your stuff is going to burn and maybe you with it. Zombies sometimes BBQ their victims before they eat their brains. Try to be ready for that. Someday I will die off and son can decide if he wants to burn the place, sell it all off or move in as is and call it home. he might just use it for weekday home when working and stay at his house in the country on weekends.
Old May 08, 2017, 19:08   #72
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Only armor came in today. This is current USGI issue 6"×8" level 3 rifle plate and adding to another same size and a full size to blast. Have two semi crusty level 3a soft panels to layer under as advised, really want know for sure what they do and don't stop. Most importantly want to measure back face signature on rounds are rated to stop.

Did get confirmation on two Brit Multicam carriers, one Brit woodland carrier, one German Flectarn and a Spanish Rifle Kit. Finally going to have a kits to dedicate to CETME's and HK's so able to free up another U.S. issue to dedicate toward another U.S. issue rifle.

Edit:

Went to basement to start load of laundry and saw this laying on sofa in wife's panic room. Hers has Lazy Boy sofa, recliners and decent furniture for comfy feel, not a man cave gun room theme. Had apparently laid this on her sofa after getting rigged. U.S. Marine digital woodland with the cable system so have two tabs, pull either and it falls apart so medic doesn't have to abuse a casualty to render first aid. Can still grab by drag handle and pull man to safety with full combat load but yank on tabs and it blows apart. Also good if go into the drink keeps vest from pulling person to bottom of ocean or lake. This one has an inflatable bladder system inside that is an add on with CO2 cartridge that can pull a third tab and inflates bladder. Supposed to add enough boyancy to support its own weight up to 30 pounds plus some more to reduce fatigue if trying to treat water. If got tired and rescue wasn't immanent then could start dropping magazines, knives, IFAK (would keep it, not too heavy) and other heavy gear then it would still give protection and be almost a full on PFD. Lots of bits and pieces and took forever to route bladders, cables and still get soft armor and plates in. This unit has level 2 soft armor instead of 3a and level 3 PE plates which makes it lightweight rifle kit that 308 ball, 7.62×39 and 5.56 55 grain FMJ is its absolute limit in plate area then 9mm handgun in soft armor but trading some threat level for weight. Can actually move kind of quick in it.

Getting washing detergent out of utility room noticed my "working kit" of capacitors and stuff for HVAC maintenance. Have more in Faraday boxes but some need to be easy to get too if pop a cap as much cheaper to fix than call a repairman on weekend when can't buy them. If SHTF all sorts of stuff can rig with these and has a hard start capacitor and kit where rig with proper cap for job but helps the capacitor for a sticky and dying compressor kick it over. FYI, it's in most HVAC techs job description to oversell you on an emergency service trip. Don't let them take money could use for an importent SHTF project unless sure service is something you must have sooner or not too much later.

Last edited by hueyville; May 08, 2017 at 19:53.
Old May 09, 2017, 09:20   #73
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Don't give up, I want to leverage your physics degree. Am pissed I dropped out of college as think if had shifted majors from an EE/Lit double major to physics would possibly have been interested enough to finish school. Try my best to stay current with theoretical papers coming out but my higher math skills went due to lack of use, head injury falling off tower, seven years on multiple opiods plus chemo or combination of all with them being somewhat weak to start with.

As to survival, we need to discuss the pole pigs more as someone who has a stream or spillway of pond or lake half mile or so away and can't figure out how to tap it for hydroelectric and get the power to house a pair of pigs is their answer. Can generate power from the distamt running water,....
Wind is obviously intermittent. I would go solar with battery bank (as you seem to have.) I've heard deep cycle marine batteries are good for this but I have no first hand knowledge.

You'll be hard pressed to get useful hydroelectric unless you can build a big enough damn. Most stream and rivers don't have the flow rate necessary to generate useful amounts of electricity. You need the big gravitational potential energy loss afforded by a damn. If you are supplying energy to a working load, the generator gets harder and harder to turn, in addition to some back emf which acts like friction.

I'm not expert in these systems and haven't built them, but am familiar with operating theory. You probably know more about safety considerations for working with high voltage.

You didn't miss out on anything not getting a degree. Most of these early folks who contributed to physics were tinkerers like you and not necessarily maintaining formal degrees.
Old May 09, 2017, 18:23   #74
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Wind is obviously intermittent. I would go solar with battery bank (as you seem to have.) I've heard deep cycle marine batteries are good for this but I have no first hand knowledge.

You'll be hard pressed to get useful hydroelectric unless you can build a big enough damn. Most stream and rivers don't have the flow rate necessary to generate useful amounts of electricity. You need the big gravitational potential energy loss afforded by a damn. If you are supplying energy to a working load, the generator gets harder and harder to turn, in addition to some back emf which acts like friction.

I'm not expert in these systems and haven't built them, but am familiar with operating theory. You probably know more about safety considerations for working with high voltage.

You didn't miss out on anything not getting a degree. Most of these early folks who contributed to physics were tinkerers like you and not necessarily maintaining formal degrees.
Wife's cousin has a PhD in nursing. Graduated High School and then got a BS in nursing. Then got her Masters followed by a PhD. Except for her practicals in school required to graduate she has never worked a day as a nurse. Finally to go from instructing to administration have to be published so she wrote a book about the history of some nursing school, paid to have it printed and sent a complimentary copy to every nursing school in the country to get rid of them as nobody bought any. Once published though was able to get promoted and ended up associate dean of nursing and when wife got stung by a bee had no idea of what to do or how to use an Epi Pen.

Not belittling your degree but some degrees come with no practical application. I would really enjoy being a physicist or at least understand the math part of the theory I try to read. My solar is put up as best part of roof is shaded and do not want the panels to be seen from street. would put on back deck and trim a few limbs if needed. My wind is also in storage building as sounds like a turboprop airplane if gets really windy plus don't want it attracting too much attention now. Have all my gutters tied to a rain water collection system and the overflow goes into a common flue that mixes with run off from the front yard as accelerates downhill toward lake and have a turbine style system that generates a little power. The three together produce just enough wattage to run my "must have" systems.

My batteries are all high dollar telecom units. Have a mix of standard lead acid that usually last seven to ten years in a remote terminal with no temperature control and ten to fifteen years indoors. My big stacks are SAFT Ni Cads that have unconditional 30 year manufacturers 30 year warranty. It is not a prorated warranty either, if fail at 28 years SAFT will replace free of charge and the Ma Bell engineers said they expected them to last well over 30 non temperature controlled and over 40 or 50 years indoors. Almost every mission critical battery in missile systems, hospitals, space program and such are SAFT brand units. A 48 volt DC "string" we use in telecom enclosures is over $3,000 per string. In some CEV's (underground switching stations) would put as many as 20 sets.

Have a dozen strings of these bad boys myself at home. They are very odd as may be four, five or six batteries in a string to fit an existing shelf and may have one battery at 16 volts, another at 11 volts, one at 8 volts and so forth but each string always totaled 48 volts. If try to install a set that has sat for a long time in a big system running at 50 volts and have dropped to below 48 volts when make final connection something blows up like a stick of dynamite. learned to test each string once got them cabled together, according to number of batteries have cables running everywhere and all fasteners must be stainless or will disappear in a few years. Learned to turn down rectifiers to string voltage, make final connection then slowly adjust rectifiers back up to whatever voltage Ma Bell had that system running at. Could not use batteries from two different sets together. If one is damaged, entire string is trash. Or so it is thought.

Learned to charge each to it was sharp, measure voltage and then addiplicate using fingers and toes then match random singles to get 47 to 51 volt total. Take all the units a tech damaged a single or blew one up wiring backwards and matching my own strings. Stack in my racks with rectifiers set to voltage of lowest string then slowly bring up over a couple days to 50.0 volts DC and all equalized. This way have been able to stack two tall racks of the expensive beasts and they charge of the grid and when power goes down have big 48 volt inverters with 48 volt DC capacitors from trains and buses to run house off batteries. Most of my lead acid have tapped at 24 volts so can use more common inverters and run other systems. If my house burns it will be an EPA nightmare but all are done to code in Earthquake proof racks and spill proof trays. Same as all the phone system batteries.
Old May 09, 2017, 21:41   #75
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:

Not belittling your degree but some degrees come with no practical application. I would really enjoy being a physicist or at least understand the math part of the theory I try to read. My solar is put up as best part of roof is shaded and do not want the panels to be seen from street. would put on back deck and trim a few limbs if needed. My wind is also in storage building as sounds like a turboprop airplane if gets really windy plus don't want it attracting too much attention now. Have all my gutters tied to a rain water collection system and the overflow goes into a common flue that mixes with run off from the front yard as accelerates downhill toward lake and have a turbine style system that generates a little power. The three together produce just enough wattage to run my "must have" systems.
Well, that's the implication from your post, but no offense taken. In my experience, when it comes to physics folks (I've spent a number of summers in research labs) they aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. Even the modern experimental physicist designs and builds his own apparatus to a large degree. You'd be impressed at what most of these guys do. But, there are a lot of folks who are inept in practical things. I know my limitations, but also my capacity to learn when taught.

I'd be happy to answer your math questions to the best of my ability at any time.
Old May 09, 2017, 23:26   #76
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have seen the things research physicists have to build. Unless they are issued a machinist with each lab and a EE with a commercial electrician helping then the systems they build are stunning. I doubt unless in a dot gov lab they have the luxury of a machinest, EE to do wiring design work and electrician to pull wire thus most must have a wide set of skills. Especially designing classified systems as don't just send a shop drawing to a local machine shop. I am so far behind on the math have to read the proper theory, look at the math like a Picasso then read conclusions and assume all the funny symbols in the middle did prove their published theory. String theory... super string 10 dimensions, supergravity 11 dimensions or 26 dimension spacetime? Will one really develop into a grand unification theory? That should be easy enough to explain to a layperson in manner can understand without using higher math. Not a chance with me, capacitance is the edge for me. Calculating the area of a Vortex in second year calculus was where I lost my dot mil contract and left college. For the way curvature of earth affects ground wave radio signals can use charts instead of doing the math. Luckily if know the height of two towers can easily calculate maximum signal without skip, for voltage drop over a given diameter conductor per foot makes that easy so don't have to know how to do any math to achieve my needs anymore. Just enter caliber, muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient and few other numbers of load; then length of barrel, rate of twist, type of rifling into ballistic app and save for each load and rifle. Choose load, choose rifle in drop down then push button on range finder, hold up anenometer, enter two numbers into boxes and firing solution for a coyote comes up in microseconds. What would Sgt York think of us modern day yote killers?

Unsure if it's worth starting back learning at age 54 except as a hobby because will be too near death to use the knowledge by time got caught up and believe God will lay it all out easy when meet him. Imagine the mathematician that cat is? To launch the big bang and use cosmic inflation in a controlled manner to get it started without it running away was a serious powerplay. Like the part in the Bible where says God is going to whack the entire thing and push the reset button for another go around. How could those uneducated fisherman have gotten that part of the universe ending and restarting right and early man gotten big bang and passed it down by word of mouth till Moses wrote it down without divine communication? Am one of the freakish people that can't find conflict between science and religion. Some try to date the earth Biblically without knowing if Adam and Eve were in the Garden for 100, 1,000, 10,000 or 10 million years before exiled. They had enough kids to populate the earth, Cain and Able were not their first as God said "from now own, woman will experience pain in childbirth" insinuating it had happened without pain many times before the fall. Survival of the soul after death, consider it more important than survival on this planet. Multiple dimensions occupying the same space at the same time really brings Heaven and hell, Angels and demons in our midst a scientific bases in reality as opposed to just blind faith, which have that too. I like physics and archeology as both seem to prove more of the Bible right than wrong.
Old May 10, 2017, 09:41   #77
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Mister Horse says

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017, 07:03   #78
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Found a guy locally selling a used Level 3a covert vest, said it was a too thick, couldn't hide well enough and will be meeting him today or tomorrow to pick it up. What perked my interest was him mentioning it was made by Pinnacle Systems but said he was unable to find any information on web. Why every year I go to all the major manufacturer and distributor websites and download their electronic catalogs in pdf format. Got all information and he texted me a few pictures, it's not a Dragon Skin but it's their Maritime Positive Boyancy model. They made a level 3a covert vest in both neutral and positive boyancy so if worked in maritime industry passing through high threat areas could wear a vest that would not drown you. Surrounded on three sides by a 37,000 acre resivoir there is a good chance that if forced to bug out or scrounge for food, spending time near or on water will be highly likely.

It's the reason added the U.S. Navy rifle kit issued to SEAL teams and shipboard Marine security teams. Can pull one of two tabs if super loaded with gear and it falls into pieces and drops off. This is great if take a hit then medic can remove your vest without yanking and tugging while wounded or if overloaded beyond boyancy capability can let it drop to bottom. Has a bladder with CO2 inflation that adds more boyancy and way mine is equipped with nine loaded magazines, IFAK, radio and other essentials when all items are on board it's negative boyant till pull tab to inflate bladder and becomes about neutral boyancy. Would have to dump a few magazines or shotgun shells according to weapon carrying or all long gun ammo and rifle but keep vest on with handgun and spare ammo that would keep a person floating and armed. The Pinnacle vest am getting later adds 16 pounds of positive boyancy even after taking a hit from a bullet. Not huge amount but would make treading water easier and allow for some protection from gun fire. See the Pinnacle vests crop up all the time but people think Dragon Skin and bid them up knowing all their products were high. Now will have an overt and covert positive boyancy vest to use if end up in a canoe casting a net for food.

Figure the giant resivoir is a better source of protein than hunting long term as game will get wiped out fast but fish have to be found. Plenty of boats to scavenge, have cast nets, gill nets, wide assortment of fishing poles, two well equipped tackle boxes fresh line (buy new line every year write date on roll and put in box have more than can ever use but want fresh if need) and a fish finder in Faraday box so can look for schools of fish and cast nets, use electricity to stun them, improvised explosives or whatever loads fish a quickly as possible to limit exposure. A Lake is a great thing to have very close, it's a water and food supply, means of egress, a moat that limits people just walking toward your A.O. as boats won't be as common. Have a raft and canoe, plan to snipe some boats and likely burn any in area don't need. Now to see if can find more positive boyancy vests on the cheap as much more rare and usually quite expensive. If live near water it's an item all should consider.
Old May 11, 2017, 08:58   #79
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

An FYI for any potential helmet purchasers. Fleabay has become rift with people taking CVC armor crew and similar helmets and modifying them to appear to be top of the line special ops helmets. Armor crew helmets are shrapnel rated bump helmets. Have no real ballistic properties but when advertised as genuine milspec the ad is not a lie till they claim a different spec than CVC. Take an inexpensive surplus tankers helmet, cut to proper shape, add night vision mount from an airsoft supply along with an N side rail for Peltor and MSA headsets, some custom paint, trim and proper suspension system and have now taken a $50 helmet and converted it into a $400 to $500 special ops unit that can drill a hole through with a rimfire.

Similar deal are the MICH high ear special ops knock offs coming out of Hong Kong, China and Tiwann. They are made of PE instead of laminated Kevlar which has ballistic properties, will stop bullets but have so much deflection with backface signature that even if bullet is stopped the big dent fractures your skull. Some are catching on and not buying the units that are advertised from sellers in Asia. Unfortunately a bunch of U.S. vendors are buying the Asian knock offs, advertising as genuine item and making $200 or more per unit as a U.S. helmet. Be very careful, few high end, current top shelf operator helmets make it to market at a cheap price and quite a few NIB full retail units are fakes where seller gets boxes from Gentex and similar companies and put fakes in them and clear up to $500 easy bucks. Only way to be sure if not ordering from a reputable vendor with decades of known performance be careful. These fakers are relatively sure a buyer is not going to burn a cap on a $400 to $700 helmet to be sure it's the real deal. If spending large, by from manufacturers authorized distributor or buyer beware. Not enough money in faking PASGT or standard MICH helmets and both are useable. MICH is a full step higher threat level and lighter than PASGT. When shopping a high ear, spec op unit with side rails and N.V. mounts, modern linings and such there are no inexpensive options unless somebody you personally know loses his helmet on way back from deployment then your in possession of U.S. property and in potential trouble if know it was misappropriated.

Standard MICH helmets can be picked up in the $100 to $150 range online that are genuine and if purchased through fleabay it's their job to filter the misappropriated items. The stuff all the real operators are wearing and that's faked for the airsoft folks is not cheap if it's real. Have one "real" helmet purchased from a dealers rep which was his salesman sample until had too many handling marks. He was well known in industry and provided the original beat up box and tags plus warranty card with serial number that registered with manufacturer but still paid close to wholesale as even the reps have to pay for their samples.
Old May 11, 2017, 20:24   #80
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Today is wash day, eight out of ten work vests were in the funky range so started the process. Goal is to find four more Level 2 medium and Level 2a medium/small to add to work vest collection and will wash once a week but have the next weeks all ready to go. It has hit a spell where cool with breeze some days and warm with no breeze others. Warm day with no breeze and one day are too funky to wear without washing. Cool with a breeze get two and sometimes three days out of one before starts to smell. Want to clean before any bacteria or funk starts to get a hold.

All the ballistic panels out, keep matched along with strap and plates for each pair.

All the covers ready to go in wash. Notice the silver Sharpie "F" which is on front and back panel of a set. When come out of wash to hang dry and then repack A, B, C.... and so forth go together as all are either Safariland or PACA. Easy to get panels mixed up and then fit is off.

All the carriers will get washed with cold water and cold water rinse on delicate cycle and 1/2 the manufactures amount of dye free, scent free laundry detergent. Also set it up to rinse them twice so get three loads of good clean filtered water then hang dry before reassemble each set. All ballistic panels get wiped down with fresh paper towels for each pair using one of the hippy brand no chemical, all natural cleaners then set on racks to dry.

Picture of carriers cloths pinned to hangers to dry from last wash cycle.

If wear armor daily doing manual labor it has to be serviced. If use cloths dryer and strong chemicals then your carriers fall apart quickly and ballistic panels will lose their rating information and covers will get crusty. If just have a couple sets and go to washing two or three times a week spend beucoup time sewing velcro back on and blown seams. Would rather have more and service less than less and service more. If had an office job rather than outside as much as in doing labor can wear a carrier four to five days without washing. By June one day will be it before wash and why am trying to get a total of 14 black level 2 or 2a all inside of five to seven years old.

While have tested 30+ year old crusty armor armor successfully when hits seven years gets cleaned and goes into pile of extras. Scored a black Level 2 yesterday and another today but sellers took one pic and posted. No dates or other info and when asked said sell too much to take the time. When arrives will pull carriers and if under five years old and relatively clean, carrier is in good shape then wash and add to work rotation. If is more than seven and "B" grade will wash and put in spare armor pile.

Use white carriers with Level 2 and Level 3a as dress vests when wear non work cloths. White gets too nasty and stained if work in white and since usually not doing sweaty work go a half level higher threat and have several Level 2+ which is rare and full coverage level 2 mostly for dress. At present have five level 2 in the under 5 year old range and since always buying will always have fresh. Especially when get NIB about 10 to 15 percent of time. Someday will screw all the cast off panels to the walls for wallpaper or something odd. Meanwhile have plenty of good seviceable spares if need, clean and ready to go.
Old May 13, 2017, 09:55   #81
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Browsing while rest of world slept found a lot of nice stuff. On topic with last post picked up three MSA ACH MICH helmets for under $90 each shipped. All are in good cosmetic shape with N.V. mounts, have new suspension systems and new seven piece pad sets with velcro mounting tabs. Not a total bargain but a good deal that couldn't pass. Found a large lot of U.S. Marine digital woodland goretex/nomex jackets and pants in medium long and small regular new wit tags for $29.99 per garment. Great for rain shell or for top layer in cold, wet and wind. Picked wife and I up each a set of tops and bottoms. Also found U.S. Air Force Nomex Battle Ensembles for $14.99 per garment which resembles Vietnam tigerstripe with combined shipping so after getting two sets for myself and one for wife only added $3 per item for shipping. Also scored us each another set of U.S. Army FRACU Nomex Defender-M ACU at $12.99 per garment with free shipping. ACU is not the best pattern but the Nomex Defender-M is some of the toughest material on the planet considering how lightweight and cool it is plus fireproof. Bugged in or walking fence line is fine pattern considering it's 20% of the cost of Multicam. Did find us each two sets of new without tags Nomex Multicam a couple weeks ago cheap.

For me, camoflauge pattern of a garment is not as important as quality of materials. Nomex or other fire retadent fiber is mandatory. Finding it dirt cheap means can buy more and a little rolling in the grass and red Georgia clay it all looks the same. Have put back a few pair of large sets in case after I turn 60 can consider putting on weight. If wife does same she can take over my mediums. If SHTF and bugged in more clean cloths have the better as means less stinking and less washing. Also if have some larger friends visit for the party with nothing but cloths on their back and are smelly can put them in clean cloths. Now have enough ACH MICH helmets so all of our back ups and truck units are current issue and the PASGT can get boxed for emergency distribution. A pair upstairs, pair downstairs and pair in truck. Yes, it's way overkill but if world unscrews while away from house it will be a big advantage to have a vest and helmet to try and get home or alternate bug out location.

Was in South Kali when the Rodney King riots broke out and it was freaking totally sketchy in a rental car and only a small sidearm per person for the two of us on the trip. Just the other day a liberal lunatic female tried to run over a Congressman who voted for the new Healthcare bill. After all the riots that followed the election because Trump won, imagine what it would be like in any U.S. major city right this minute had it been a conservative Christian male running down Nancy Pelosi like a dog in the street? It's politically correct for liberals to riot, burn and attack people and conservatives just watch the dumb show on television. Imagine how bad it would be if Hitlary, Pelosi or other high profile liberal were attacked or killed when look at the results following election. Most major cities had areas of total anarchy every weekend. We are one court decision, one policy decision or one attack on a liberal from most urban areas coming unglued and if I am in Atlanta when it happens am getting out. Between the rifle locks and armor kits under back seat of a 3/4 ton 4×4 diesel truck when the nuts March out by the hundreds to block the interstate and other major roads will be driving through and not staying in the city. Saw them march out into I-75/85 and block 16 lanes of traffic along with other roads that led out of the city over an election result. Am afraid the liberal left has gone totally over the edge and violence has become commonplace with the press egging them on. With a favorable administration for first time in a long time we're on a precipice that has our country closer to breakdown of the peace closer than I have ever felt.

Have had LGBT and minorities treat me worse than gum on their shoe in the grocery store and Wallyworld more than once. At my local grocery when a minority bows up on a person in Trump hat or shirt, white man carrying a gun they have a manager stand close to witness with phone on 911 button in case it crosses the line but don't interfere so as to not make it worse. Had an over 60 year old black lady run her buggy into my body striking knees and hips half a dozen times a few weeks into the initial riots. White man with gun and no badge and even grandmother's will go loopy on someone who appears to be politically conservative. Have taken appropriate steps to increase personal security. Wife never wanted a rifle lock in her truck till after election. Would throw a long gun in her truck when travelling together with no issue but she felt her Walther in purse and Bulldog in console was enough. Soon after election she asked for a rifle lock with rifle, female front entry tactical vest and helmet under back seat. If my wife is concerned, country is in trouble. Even some of her relatives, we have had to block their numbers as were calling daily to b!tch at us for helping to ruin the country because they knew we voted for Trump. Her first cousins that have always been nice and disagreed politically with respect were calling multiple,times a day and using curse words. Afraid we are just one incident away from our society breaking down till military intervenes and will some troops follow orders to go into the hoods they came from? With N Korea, Iran and our own citizens survival situation feels closer than ever has in my lifetime.

Also found a Nomex cut resistant tactical gloves that have Thorguard layer to protect from electronic discharge weapons. Four of my concealment vests are now in Thorguard carriers. If someone comes after a person with a taser or stungun, having a vest that will stop both is big advantage and if gone to Defcon Level that am wearing tactical gloves may as well be electronic discharge protected. Previous primary tactical gloves were cut proof and fireproof so electronic weapons are only thing picked up but having extra sets can't be bad. From high dollar synthetic socks with sewn in liners that wick moisture and carry a "no blister guarantee" to shrapnel shorts as underwear and cut proof, fireproof, electronic discharge proof gloves and upgrading helmets contact lyrics trying to improve every aspect of daily life and post SHTF life. Maybe if remortgaged the house and got a truck payment or two would stop buying all this junk.... Naah, I like pilfering the internet flea market.

Edit:
Was almost 7:00 pm and was still at work when mail lady knocked on side door and hollered "Don't Shoot" as on tail end of her route and hits me late. Nice lady, hired her son for a week. (Four days too long) She is used to hearing gunfire in evenings as take final break before locking up. Had two packages of AR 15 parts and a NOS Woodland IOTV carrier in medium with NOS armor all still sealed. Stuffed the soft armor in and as always the medium fits me perfect. If had heavy covert armor would be snug but in a PACA Level 2a in size small and new Protech soft Dyneema plates was great fit. Have a set of 10"×12" Dyneema level 3a stand alone plates that weight under a pound and a pair of Level 3 ceramic plates at 4.1 pound each to use till find appropriate plates.This is number four woodland IOTV and my favorite pattern made for local conditions. Have three black and three ACU so can put a standard fire team all in same design rifle armor kits, closing in on a squad. Have a strong offer to buy the NIB XXL and asking price will buy three more.

Ended up swapping emails with vendor purchased one ACH MICH helmet from to,discover had two more and threw together a package that got the three for $180 shipped and promise to buy more. All still with new suspension systems and seven piece pad sets included. Turns out they specialize in helmets and discussed all the PE Asian copies ATE MICH helmets with airsoft N Rails and N.V. mounts plus armor crew CVC modified to look legit. Says she gets the real thing fairly often, usually in a lot and will send me an email next shipment they get. Says if not genuine MSA, Gentex or ArmaCore doesn't touch it. So now five ACH MICH inbound and will be able to distribute upstairs, downstairs, trucks and work. Found another person am negotiating a similar price for three more. If this deal works out will take worst cosmetic unit and smoke it testing backface signature.

Edit 2:
Scored another Gentex ACH MICH helmet on a bidsnipe for $26 with $13 shipping so total $39 to my door. Is police surplus and owner said less than two years old and worn two or three times in training. Not uncommon to buy nice gear from recently retired cops on fleabay. Recently got a new in box front entry rifle vest with molle accessories never installed and tags still attached. Guy said never wore except to try on. Was issued six weeks before he retired and was allowed to keep all issue equipment except taser and weapons.

Last edited by hueyville; May 14, 2017 at 18:39.
Old May 17, 2017, 09:53   #82
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Just bought five of these:

Quote:
The TenCate Cratus™ 3600SA (NIJ Model #D1652) is the lightest, stand-alone, NIJ 0101.06 Level III Certified hard body armor plate in the body armor industry. TenCate Advanced Armor USA combined their extensive knowledge of high-pressure manufacturing with advancements in unidirectional polyethylene materials to engineer and produce a family of plates that are 35% lighter than its predecessors. The TenCate Cratus™ 3600SA utilizes a hybrid design of DSM Dyneema Force Multiplier Technology in combination with trauma reduction materials. A 10”x12” Shooters (SH) Cut torso plate weighs only 2.20 pounds and 6” x 6” Full- Size (FS) Cut side plates weigh 0.80 pounds. The reduction in weight has not compromised protection level because the TenCate Cratus™ 3600SA has been tested against both the 7.62mm x 51mm FMJ (M80) and the 7.62mm x 39mm PS Ball (MSC).

TenH: (one plate used for 5.56 mm shots, second plate used for larger calibers)
3 shots M193 successfully stopped by the plate.
3 shots of M855 successfully stopped by the plate
3 shots of LeMas successfully stopped by the plate
3 shots of M43 successfully stopped by the plate
3 shots of M67 successfully stopped by the plate
3 shots of M80 successfully stopped by the plate
1 shot of 12 ga slug successfully stopped by the plate
Also got four of the TenCate rated for M855 green tip:

Quote:
As part of the procurement process, we tested six different Level III plates, from five vendors:*Armored Mobility Incorporated*(AMI) TAC3S single curve, Diamond Back Tactical (DBT) LTC27400 single curve, DefenseTech (DT) Defend-X IM-LCP-LIII triple curve, MSA/Paraclete (MSA) DHP3-1012 (cat #10098941) triple curve, and two triple curve plates from Tencate–a LE SAPI hybrid plate (TenH) and a compressed Dyneema Level III plate (TenD) that is essentially identical to the previously tested AMI SAPI3 plate.

TenH: (one plate used for 5.56 mm shots, second plate used for larger calibers)
3 shots M193 successfully stopped by the plate.
3 shots of M855 successfully stopped by the plate
3 shots of LeMas successfully stopped by the plate
3 shots of M43 successfully stopped by the plate
3 shots of M67 successfully stopped by the plate
3 shots of M80 successfully stopped by the plate
1 shot of 12 ga slug successfully stopped by the plate
The TenD weigh 2.2 pounds and the TenH weigh 2.5 pounds in 10"×12" size. The odd number set intend to shoot one myself to verify the above independent test. Bought them cheap enough to burn one. Level 3 and level 3+ super lightweight rifle plates because willing to buy everyone vendor had in one order and clear their shelves. Were not used to someone who will go all in on European made plates and sold for cheap as got no bids on fleabay. U.S. buyers are scared of European brand have never heard of but they make a line specifically for U.S. market that's all NIJ certified. NIJ doesn't do a 3+ rating for M855 green tip and this company doesn't market that way but tell which models do stop the penetrators and other AP rifle rounds. Google and making offers is your friend, will be able to stack out four more multihit rifle vests on the cheap.
Old May 18, 2017, 22:16   #83
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

With summer coming on strong starting to gather some more armor accessories to help aid in cooling. Had another pair of Safariland CTAV panels that go inside carrier close as possible to body or they offer shirts optimized for wearing under armor and have pockets for the CTAV panels. When come out of the package looks like a flat plastic sheet with a few holes.

Take the supplied pump with each pair and inset with proper end to inflate, other end deflates.

Once inflated it has all these little channels that in conjunction with the holes allows air to circulate between armor and body.

I have these in my "A" rifle rated vests and deflate in fall to decrease chance of wearing holes in them from abrasion and inflate in summer. Since have the pump handy from new set will inflate the ones in three primary rifle kits and decide which kit gets them. Also have two of the base layer shirts that hold the panels against bodies and will wear under my vests. Have a set for each shirt and they add significant cooling comfort. Like most Safariland products are made by a smaller company that when they tried, bought the people out and run it as a separate company under the corporate umbrella like Protech special threat plates. If you wear armor in the hot sun they are must have item. Can slide in carrier of soft armor between armor and inside of plates. Easier to use the shirts if have ten sets of daily wear armor like I do.

In the past have talked about Thorshield electronic discharge armor. A couple of companies offer carriers with Thorshield sewn into carrier and can buy Thorshield panels to slide between front of carrier and armor panels. They don't protect against high amperage electrical shock but stop stun guns and tasers which regular armor doesn't though rigid panels will stop a taser if hits the trauma panels dead on. Three front in this past drying cycle are Thorshield equipped.

Three of my ten daily work carriers are Thorshield equipped and two of my rifle kits have Thorshield between stab panel and soft armor. Tasers are so common now need to be protected so not put down like a clown in a thousand dollar rifle stack or even a covert vest. Today had these arrive, the first tactical gloves have found with Thorshield.

They are pretty snug but wore a couple hours and was able to work my smart phone, tablet and type at the computer. If need a pair of tactical gloves these are good thus far, are rated to sheld from hypodermic needles, sharp objects, knife cuts and if someone has a stun gun can just grab it out of their hands or throw your hands over your face when see a taser about to launch. Was able to get car keys out of my pocket and manipulate almost anything needed to. Need a few days of breaking in to get them losened up some more but did run several mags through a 1911 in them with minimal trouble. As put together your kits try to make everything as comfortable and mulltifunction as possible. These are almost bomb proof. Below are some of the specs on the gloves and Thorshield.

Actually got several boxes of stuff in today and didn't get it all opened. Got the gloves, pair of high ear ACH MICH helmets and armor accesories such as more Dyneema trauma panels, new carriers, extra ballistic panels and even another women's vest that the wife tackled when saw it's cut and fact protected down to her hips and fits perfectly. Got a woman's 6"×9" molded special threat plate in front already and a Protech 5"×8" flexible Dyneema in rear for a high threat covert vest. Sniped a total of five vests this week and have nine vests to bid on tomorrow. About at point could literally wall paper all the exterior walls by overlapping spare panels and screwing to studs with fender washers in case brick and the liners between brick and drywall fail. Having a wife that never gripes about any type of home or personal security devices drag home even by the gross is a blessing. She actually gets excited about a new stack of gear, especially the newer women's cut military uniforms.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:54   #84
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Arrow

Have had a couple of these Second Chance vests for about a year but suddenly picked up three more in the past few weeks. All have 2014 or 2015 dates but when digging through my references and reading the information on 2017 models except for carrier style no features have changed from 2014 through current models. Have five of the Level II in medium/regular. Perfect fits for me. Also scored a Level IIIA 2015 model and when referenced was stunned at its ratings. They actually have two sub catagories in each of Level II and Level IIIa vests where they have the same thickness panel but a different blend of fibers with different threat level in each.

Level II vest. In Second Chance it's important to know if it's II or IIF. They both exceed NIJ standards by a wide margin, the F panels are not quite as high threat or "special threat" as the non F model vests.

Quote:
FEATURES:
Core MatrixTechnology®*– The use of Core Matrix Technology in this package provides reduction in blunt trauma with increased ballistic and fragmentation resistance. This patented technology offers a soft flexible feel through the fusing of woven Twaron®*aramids, establishing a reinforced structure.
Honeywell Spectra®*– The Summit features exclusive Honeywell Spectra fibers confirmed to be one of the worlds strongest and lightest ballistic fibers, holding a molecular backbone that is fifteen times stronger than steel.
Honeywell Gold Shield®*– This patented unidirectional aramid fiber provides substantially heightened protection against special threats, simultaneously offering excellent fragmentation defense and blunt trauma reduction without concession in comfort.
X-STATIC®XT2™*– Internal liner made of X-STATIC®XT2™ antimicrobial knit, which repels micro-organisms, reduces odor, and repels moisture

TYPE II TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
NIJ Standard: 0101.06 Compliant
NIJ Model #: BA-2000S-SM02
Areal Density (lbs/ft2): 0.79
Thinness (in.): 0.190
(9mm): 1770
(.357 Mag): 1676
Armor Materials: Honeywell®*Spectra Shield®, Honeywell®*Gold Shield®, Tex Tech Core Matrix Technology™Panel Covering: Dual covered, 2 Ply, 70 Denier Textured Nylon Ripstop and TPU Lamination System

TYPE IIF TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
NIJ Model #: BA-2000S-SM02F
Areal Density (lbs/ft2): 0.79
Thinness (in.): 0.190
(9mm): 1717
(.357 Mag): 1659
Armor Materials: Honeywell®*Spectra Shield®, Honeywell®*Gold Shield®, Tex Tech Core Matrix Technology™Panel Covering: Dual covered, 2 Ply, 70 Denier Textured Nylon Ripstop and TPU Lamination System
Tags to look for so ensure have the X-Static antimicrobial coating.

Was already reassembling after weekly wash before realized didn't take picture of panel but farther up thread, remember to look for gold panels, previous generation are blue but just fine also as have more blue than any other. Also did not photograph the Thorshield panels in front of ballistic material but just a thin panel that other than label dosen't look like anything special.

Since it's getting hotter by the day added the CTAV panels to all the full side coverage Level II vests but not to the Level IIa that are size small/short to give about two inches of breathing room down side of torso, stop about two inches above belt line standing and are much cooler. The IIa's are all PACA who's tagline is "the coolest armor on earth". Doing manual labor outdoors in 94° to 101° heat in July/August with 90%+ humidity know what hot is in armor and PACA does have a tendency to be cooler though I skew the comparison some by dropping one NIJ threat level (do have Safariland, Second Chance and Point Blank in IIa) any day that high temperature is predicted over 94°.

After Thorshield, panels and CTAV installed in carriers top it off with a Safariland/Protech Dyenema Special Threat Plate along with straps and add to clean pile for next week.

My go-to special threat plates have Safariland/Protech, ABA (the compound curve, rounded top and some other brands) along with standard Level II and IIIa stand alone soft panels for backs of some vest that have rear pockets.

Extra trauma panels for vests not in the "to be shot" pile. These will be added to other vests as needed when come in and actually have a big box of 5"×8" panels that are getting close to enough to have a quilt made for queen size bed, think a mix match checkerboard of colors and brand labels will make a quilt with lots of conversation potential plus maybe reduce the whumping or shooting trauma when wife finally decides to go all

Eight nice freshly laundered vests to add to shelf where they live when not being worn or in the smelly laundry basket they land when realize the funk has set in. Knowing working today, had not done vest duty past two nights would have started next week with only two clean units. Why 14 will allow more time between wash cycles as usually work six to six and half days per week. Use white for dress vests and they are a completely different setup.

Now up to eleven work vests that all have 2012 or later manufacturing dates. Goal is to get to 14 and keep that number current in the 5 years young catagory. The 2012's won't magically go bad in 2018 as shoot 30 year old panels all the time, many that were worn for decade(s) and some then carried in trunk of car places like Florida or Texas for decade(s). No matter how crusty have never had a vest fail to meet standard it was originally tested for. Below are the specifications for the current Second Chance Level IIIa line of armor. Notice the 44 Mag velocity tested is 320 fps faster than NIJ IIIa standards and they rate 357 SIG and pass all 9mm and 357 Mag special threats.

Quote:
TYPE IIIa TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
NIJ Model #: BA-3A00S-SM02
Areal Density (lbs/ft2): 1.04
Thinness (in.): 0.250
(9mm): All Tested
(.357 Mag): All Tested
(.357 SIG): 1868
(.44 Mag): 1720
Armor Materials: Honeywell®*Spectra Shield®, Honeywell®*Gold Shield®, Tex Tech Core Matrix Technology™Panel Covering: Dual covered, 2 Ply, 70 Denier Textured Nylon Ripstop and TPU Lamination System.
Got a ton of new stuff in this week plus lots of "B" grade vests to clean and add to backup piles and worse to put into the shoot for testing purposes pile. Also got some really nifty Air Warrior cooling vests and small daypack size/style pump units to carry cold water to keep someone cool under a lot of heavy armor. Our helicopter crew guys when not out of the aircraft can plug into a pump that has water and a chilling unit to keep them nice and cool until have to jump out and snatched up an evac or other task. All kinds of new to me items arrived too for testing and to see if want to add to piles.
Old May 21, 2017, 07:52   #85
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

More I dig through the Safariland Group and their subsidiaries the more "must have" equipment I find. As have four more overt rifle kits to stack out supplies are getting thin without cobbling together some hobby level equipment using some breadboard electronics in small project boxes. Good stuff is expensive but as educate myself on police level opposed to military brands like Peltor am able to sniff out usable communications accessories. The Safariland/TCI CIPS are for undercover work and a bit fragile but have dual channel/dual radio capability with better switching than could solder up and put in project box and not jump on $1,000 plus used ratty looking Peltor. Still digging out radios and doing o.k. but integrating them is the crux.

Kit number one scored.

Kit number two scored.

From Safariland website showing product, going to shink-wrap the wires for durability but the modular switching system is the meat of it. Just a few adapters and can use with most any radio, scanner or cell phone. I like to have a transceiver and a frequency hopping scanner on board for situational awareness and transceiver for comms.

Very similar to Peltor but can be found police surplus much more in expensive the Peltor. Got this set for $199 with free shipping and considering another, just want to experiment before get too deep. These Liberator headsets have noise cancelling for gunfire and other loud noises along with two radio connectivity. Also can be easily adapted for mounting to helmet N Rail system.

Been weaving my own omnidirectional antennas using coax and a 12"×14" molle patch but these Safariland MAST antenna relocating kits allow a small uhf/vhf antenna of choice to be located on top row of molle front or back and not have body interacting with the omnidirectional pattern of the antenna terribly. Unsure as my homebrew are working o.k. and don't protrude and can roll over and drag through mud without hurting. These were sourced dirt cheap so going to see how they work.

Have quite a few other items working on sourcing from their line of products, especially the TABC Bone conduction headset. Combined with a dual connection kit it looks like the lowest profile solution and toughest solution though the hearing protection plus hear through design of the Liberator should be nice, just buy unless helmet mounted.
Old May 22, 2017, 07:15   #86
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

This is not something a person sees very often. One of wtf moments where wish some an inanimate item could tell it's story. Has to be interesting as it was fielded by an operator at some point before getting to civilian market.

Old May 23, 2017, 05:58   #87
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

My TenCate U.S. plates finally arrived for review. Two finished and one unfinished. TenCate is a major player in Europe who has come across the pond and going for dot gov and private contracts. This is high dollar stuff. I have two 3/8"×8"×8" and one 1/2" panels for testing.

Notice face is hard with nice finish, wearer side has a super comfortable closed cell foam laminate well executed and tough.

Weight is very low considering a Level III threat rating and have one of their III+ panels.

Here is the Level III+ unfinished panel that sacrificed itself for the cause. It has an approximate thickness of 1/2", darn metrics, the 8" outside dimension is rounded off, their a little bigger.

Am not posting post test photos yet as have a plan for them that entails getting manufacturers on board to supplying test plates rather than buying. The one issue I see with most reviews, they only test products donated. Are not willing to buy expensive plates and burn them out of own pocket. I feel it skews many tests done by experts because they won't test some products if not free. Have two URL's for armor products, one structural and other personal protection and want some factory support, if all info is shareD down to photos to be linked in discussion groups may decrease "value" of the armor sites. Am going to share as much as Files members need to know on unfamiliar products.

The unfinished Level III+ did well in testing. With only 8"×8" of area could only get so much fresh area to shoot. First round was 7.62×51 Lake City ball from 30 feet and stopped it cold, next was a 7.62×39 Russian steel core and stopped fast, next it stopped a 5.56 NATO 55 grain ball round and a M855 green tip. This ba rely left any area not affected as drew five dots, one inset from each corner and final dead center. My final shot was one of my precious M855A1 bronze tip. Fully expected total failure and round did penetrate the plate BUT, was damaged and decelerated so much the 20 year old level IIIA soft armor normally backing a hard plate made the stop. Now plate has been wasted, wanted to try a 7.62 NATO bronze tip but no real material left for honest try and so far above its rating didn't waste the rare round. Bottom line, have a pair of covert carriers that are going to get the two finished plates so center of mass is rifle protected with certainty in high threat situations but want to remain covert with armor. Now to buy more of their stuff to test and will be able to move on. Really want one of their Level IV multihit 30-06 AP plates. This is hard to do out of pocket but know how every product I use performs.

Black plate specs, not the beige plate.

Quote:
PRODUCT NAME:
TenCate Cratus™ 3400SA Series
PRODUCT APPLICATION:
Concealable Body Armor, External Carriers, Plate Carriers, and
Tactical Body Armor
TESTING STANDARD: NIJ 0101.06¹
PROTECTION TYPE / LEVEL: NIJ III Plus (Super Multi-Hit)
MODEL NUMBER: D1670 (NIJ Compliance Product List)
CONFIGURATION: Stand-Alone
AERIAL DENSITY (WEIGHT): See Chart on Page 2
THICKNESS: 0.40” ± 0.125” (10.16 mm ± 3.175 mm)
CURVATURE: Multi-Curve²
TYPE OF MATERIALS: Ultralloy™ Ultra-High Hard Steel / Aramid / Polyethylene
TYPE OF PROTECTIVE COVER: Polyurea
AVAILABLE SHAPES AND SIZES: See Chart on Page 2
SPECIAL THREAT TESTING:
5.56mm x 45mm 62gr (M193)*
5.56mm x 45mm 62gr (M855)*
7.62mm x 39mm PS Ball (MSC)*
7.62mm x 51mm 149gr FMJ (M80)*
*Special Threat Testing conducted in accordance with an abbreviated and modified NIJ Standard 0101.06
and TenCate Advanced Armor Testing Protocol.

Last edited by hueyville; May 23, 2017 at 07:33.
Old May 23, 2017, 08:48   #88
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

As of 8:00 am this morning had to declare my mannequin officially dead, taken all the abuse possible and not a single male mannequin with head on local Craigslist. Have to prep another by routing out a 4"×10"×12" area front and back to press sculpters clay for measuring backface signature. Any armor that has a dent in clay that bottoms out 4" is a fail as shot would have taken wearer out of the fight with blunt force trauma. Also have hollowed sections in groin and under chin to catch spall off hard armor. First time shot an AR 500 steel plate with three 7.62×51 NATO Ball round the spall almost ripped his head off.

Anyone who believes in steel armor with truck bed liner as spall protection needs to set up a plate, put watermelon about where head would be located and cantaloupe where family jewels located. Bust three rounds then measure dents in rear of armor, then dissect melons unless spall did it without you cutting open. First round is reasonable but knocks huge chunk, if not most of liner off and subsequent rounds are like small hand grenades going off under you chin. Throat, chin, jaws and face get shredded. Steel armor with level 2 Kevlar bonded to front well and high density closed cell foam on rear will pass but costs as much as good plates and weighs double. Kevlar has to be glued well, a panel or spall runs up plate between panel and plate concentrating shrapnel under chin at throat.

Called about a few male mannequins and thus far all are hollow, no heads or not big enough to do job. This morning had some officers issue Russian titanium to test in 4"×4" overlapping scales like Dragon Skin Armor. Drove two of the scales through mannequin breaking him in half. Going to make good content for new website. All the testing, Photoshop work and ExpressionWeb design work is tiring. May take till next spring to launch properly. Don't want it looking like my sites look after ripping over 100 pages of content down due to people stealing content. Don't mind links but stealing an using as own pisses me off. Having to learn how to set up pictures where can be linked but not downloaded and used except with screen capture and that can't be stopped. Plenty of female mannequins may have to get female and do a chainsaw mastectomy. Something seems wrong about that..

Edit:
Wife knew today was going to not be 100% work productive today when saw me sorting through these piles this morning. Also had a big box of magazine pouches, IFAK's, radio pouches, combat knives and such. Only thing asked was if had a new rifle kit and replies a couple. Only plan on bringing two home so why worry her about me possibly spending the entire day playing with armor. Will get my work done too.

Going to bring one of the completed Brit full coverage kits, one Brit IOTV copy and one U.S. IOTV woodland and one black front opening police issue rifle kit home. Leaving one of each at work also as backups in case we bug out to concrete building or house burns, don't lose everything. Keep 25% of everything at work which is 90% more than most have total.

Last edited by hueyville; May 23, 2017 at 09:31.
Old May 25, 2017, 13:44   #89
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Power Correction Capacitor

Killed the electridity thread and added this post/question/suggestion for all to consider to the junk thread. Some of this is important as increasing the life of your equipment saves money and may hep some survive an EMP as well.

Original Post:
If no response will pull this so as to not clutter the Survival Forum but so many topics and a posts roll continuously back to electricity, the grid, improving personal systems and similar. We have a diverse group here and looking to see if we can leverage knowledge from hobbyist level, low voltage, residential, commercial and plant electricians to folks who specialize in low voltage alarm systems, solar/alternative to generators and theory guys like E.E.'s to post questions and get answers so they congregate in a thread people can reference before asking the question that's been asked a dozen times and pushed down to pages 3, 5, 8 10.... and gets asked again.

I tripped across a NIB name brand 30KVAR, 240V Power Correction Capacitor designed to eliminate/reduce power sags in a structure or facility so if your freezer or HVAC decides to spool up during a grid level power sag your equipment is less likely to be damaged. Main part of Gainesville (what used to be primary road through town) is very narrow and busy thus does not see the maintenance it should IMHO. Night before last a tree fell in a storm causing nine power poles to domino snapping off as ran right down this major road to where split into a state highway and about five miles of major roads were closed for 18 hours as Georgia Power crews went into overdrive. Last winter same thin happened on road my business is on during a freak localized ice storm taking seven power poles out. Each event I noticed (even most recent 4 miles from house as crow flies) had UPS's beeping and devices going loopy as grid tried to stabilize during and after initial event. Have a whole house surge protector along with UPS on every 120V important device except fridge, freezers, washing machine and a few other appliances. We have habit of running dishwasher and cloths washer middle of night when power and water demand on the system is low and ran through house turning devices off.

Few years ago a car hitting a power pole while I was cooking dinner caused lights to dim a few times, UPS beeps from around house and killed a $250 control panel in our range/oven. No cooking till part could be ordered, shipped and installed except in microwave, toaster oven and Coleman propane stove. Grid is so peaked that any disturbance within several miles of house or work sends spikes, surges or both into work or house. Last costly event at work Georgia Power killed the line feeding my street without notification (normally they knock on doors when taking an area off grid for maintenance) while my CNC router was running and the voltage falling off to zero snapped a $700 circuit board in the 7HP Perske High Frequency Control Box. Over the years I can attribute multiple motor run capacitors and control board failures due to grid instability.

Now I am sitting on this 30KVAR, 240V Power Correction Capacitor designed for minimizing impact of such events which actually happen to some degree almost every day. At least two days a week have to reset a couple UPS's at work when MOV's catch a spike and shut the device down but have a lot of crap running. Unit I have plan to install at home and wondering about best implementation and location. What I have researched says the capacitor bank is connected to the busbars of the main LV distribution board for the installation, and remains in service during the period of normal load.

Makes total sense to me but top two slots in my panel are dedicated to a Leviton whole structure surge protector. It's more to protect from spikes than sags. Want to install the big capacitor to deal with the sags. Seems like best place to install is above fuse panel in line with power feeds but do not have in my hands to look at yet. It may require direct connection to buss bars. Any electricians in here that install power quality equipment and are familiar with similar devices. Ratings on the WEG brand unit I have coming are NEMA 4 enclosure. UL Recognized. Temp. range: -25 to 55 C Discharge time: 30 sec. Starts per hr.: 30 Max. rating: 45 KVAR at 240VAC, 75 KVAR at 480VAC 60 Hz. Till have in hand installation is based on supposition. Believe I will pull a permit on this job so inspector verifies all work is done to code. Often pullimg a permit is the best $50 a person can spend. Local inspector says my house has more remodel permits pulled in his tenure than any house in his territory. Says most homeowners get mad when GA Power will not reinstall a meter base after a peel swap or meter base change is made till inspector passes and they haven't even pulled a permit yet. Have to check into hotel or live without power till get permit applied, approved and inspector out though I can pull a permit at 9am and have inspector on site for approval before 5pm. Have pulled hundreds of permits if not over a thousand in multiple municipalities. Nothing personal to me, it's verification job was done right if structure burns the next day and need proof it wasn't your fault.

Has to be people needing answers on GFI, intermittent electRica gremlins and such around here fairly regular. Also protecting equipment and structure is part of survival. Popping a motor run capacitor on HVAC during heat wave while contractors are maxed to limits with service calls could save your wife from killing you if having hot flashes on top of no A/C.
Old May 25, 2017, 18:18   #90
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Before left for work mail ran with five boxes. Purchased an ACH MICH helmet from guy on fleabay and when checked out asked if he had anymore. It was a make offer deal where I paid $70 for a used Gentex helmet with free shipping which is about bottom of markets for a genuine ACH MICH. Seller sent an email after paid saying had two more plus some other "stuff". Another $150 payment to go with the $70 and would send all promising I would be happy. Below picture is most but not all of the $220 grab bag with two more helmets and some stuff...

In the box were three ACH MICH helmets with covers and three one hole Norotos N.V. mounts. The covers have the flap on top allowing you to expose the small I.R. black square identifying you as a friendly or flip other way and cover I.R. marker. Had one on back also along with removeable helment mount battery pouches. Inside were like new Team Wendy pad sets plus two sets of sealed new sets of pads and two spare woodland helmet covers. Also were two size large IOTV vests with all soft armor, and the one new desert tan carrier with cumberbund and soft armor to fit still sealed in plastic. There was a bag of IFAK refill supplies, a dozen helmet accesory hold downs and other sundry items. The woodland IOTV I bidsnipe for $70 to $90 range with armor but see them bid up to $150 or more almost daily. The desert vest with cumberbund and new sealed soft armor is a $300 bill on fleabay. Add in N.V. mounts, IFAK supplies and other sundries all he had to do was take pics, list each item and would have pocketed a grand. In emails said just wanted it gone with minimum fuss and when I happily paid for the three helmets decided to pile it all in my box. Now need plates and can add three more rifle rated kits to what's already enough for a reinforced squad.
Old May 26, 2017, 19:02   #91
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

One days items from just one vendor and still have snipes pending. Some of this will be redistributed around this watering hole.

Missed one out of four of his items where I was second highest bidder but have my hard and fast rules on what will pay for any single item. Sniping the Protech trauma plates is hard and have to pay almost as much as some vests cost of more. Have one other vendor from today swept most of his items and another coming up in a few hours. At these prices its easy to put some of them in the target pile.
Old July 01, 2017, 17:52   #92
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Ran by work today to empty the UPS, USPS, FedX drop box for large packages. Inside was a box with 24 0.011×47"×144" Dyneema® SB-51 sheets. It's 40% stronger than Kevlar given equal thickness sheets and takes 11 sheets of Kevlar to meet NIJ Level IIa. This is the same material Safariland/Hardwire is using in their new super flexible NIJ Level 3a panels which are the thinnest on the market. Dyneema® is 70% less affected by heat, cold and U.V. light that other HWMPE materials and 30% less affected than Kevlar. Have a section of drywall that's next up for removal and replacement along with another window. Yep, 25 years and am 12 feet from having removed every piece of drywall on exterior walls, the wiring and insulation behind it. It's exactly twelve feet wide between chimney (four feet of concrete block and brick with all block back filled with cement) and considering attaching 12 layers across bottom and 12 across top which is supposed to be NIJ 2 but unsure of effects screws might have tearing fibers as install dry wall on top, as researching this idea found this interesting tidbit.

Quote:
ARMY RESEARCHERS HAVE*come up with a "ballistic wallpaper" that can be quickly installed by troops in the field to fortify unreinforced buildings and structures.

The product, which is yet to be named, consists of Kevlar fiber threads in a flexible plastic film. It can be applied to structures made of materials like masonry or cinder block, adding useful and needed protection for a temporary shelter. In normal circumstances, a wall hit by an RPG or other type of explosive will "rubberize," sending shattered material flying at those nearby. The wallpaper acts as a protective net, slowing the rubble and stopping it from flying at soldiers. Created by the US Army Corps of Engineers' Engineer Research and Development center, the wallpaper was tested by engineers who built unreinforced buildings and actually bombed and blasted them. It was introduced at a recent DOD Lab Day at the Pentagon. It's not quite field ready. Research and development on the material is ongoing, and there is no public development timeline or cost information. But if it lives up to its promise, the sooner soldiers can use it to decorate their temporary shelters, the better.
Have seen some of the prototype material and comes in a roll with a wax paper type liner that is removed to expose a tacky adhesive side and is slapped to a wall, door, piece of plywood or and reasonably flat surface to make it much more balistically stable. Could really see it being great if slapped on outside and inside of a structure but the adhesive seems like it will be most difficult part as can only adhere as well as what applied to finish is attached. Peeling loose paint or cracking and crumbling stucco seems like it would pop off with ease but it's a relatively simple idea especially as well as modern adhesives I use apply and within 90 seconds are stuck better than industrial laquer paint and can't be easily removed with a sandblaster.

I do know (other people's mistakes, not mine) if drilling a hole in a modern Kevlar® helmet and use a standard drill bit thats dull and maybe not held firmly or try to push through helmet too fast the bit can grab a wad of fibers and pull foot long strands out and spderweb a large section of the helmet. I paid $50 premium to have my last ACH MICH predrilled from factory for my night vision mount of choice. When drill a helmet have used two methods, first use a very small high quality U.S./German/Swiss/etc made machinists drill bit for a pilot hole then slowly work my way up till reach diameter need and then seal the exposed edges with epoxy or polyurethane. Favorite method now is use a smaller diamond impregnated ceramic tile bit for pilot hole and then another diamond coated ceramic/glass bit for final size then seal. Either way remember to move slow and not force the drill. Most companies you have just voided the warranty on your $500 to $1,200 helmet and why ordered my personal top tier helmet factory drilled. At factory they usually drill all holes before material is cured and unsure what type machine they use.

Back to my sheets of Dyneema®, idea is to tear out the drywall, reframe for new window size, reinforce so burglar bars or functioning shutters are firmly attached along with ballistic liner. Replace all wiring and run in metal conduit (most in-wall wiring is now in conduit), add Strongties (hurricane ties) to framing while wall is open, some scrap metal in tactical areas as do whenever open a wall then spray foam insulate it for maximum seal of voids and thermal efficiency. Now we diverge, want to take half the sheets of Dyneema and run from chimney to corner from floor up to 47" width, take other half and overlap a couple inches as go,across leaving just about 6" at top of wall missing the Dyneema® liner. Have done this with Kevlar before and attached to studs with a roofing stapler. A good hard slap with a roofers tar paper and shingle stapler works great with Kevlar. Then rather than drywall screws use old fashioned drywall nails so screw doesn't grab fibers and shred the Kevlar unknowingly. Testing in past screws liked to grab a few strands and wad them up. Am unsure if Dyneema is subject to this phenomenon and if not, much prefer screws and will be topping with "purple board" then tape, putty and paint as normal. This is last of the front wall of house facing the road. Rest have added a variety of materials including nailing old body armor panels between studs overlapping them, scrap metal, T6 and T7 aluminum to add ballistic properties beyond the brick and plywood the brick ties are attached to.

Am all the time hearing the wives tail that age and heat degrade Kevlar's ability to stop bullets. Have shot enough crusty 30+ year old panels to know that even after 30 years in the trunk of a patrol car from Florida it still performs to its original rating. If anyone ever tears down my house on a fixed bid will take a huge loss on labor but hopefully make it up on selling scrap metal. Of course this is enough top tier Dyneema to make a huge number of body armor accessories or complete vests. How many people would end up in such a conundrum? Got wife's grandmother's sewing machine running and been using to start making some custom armor products. Might be best to use the sheets for that but a multilayer Dyneema wall just seems like a way cool idea.

Quote:
These are some of Kevlar's properties:
It's strong but relatively light. The specific tensile strength (stretching or pulling strength) of both Kevlar 29 and Kevlar 49 is over eight times greater than that of steel wire.

Unlike most plastics it does not melt: it's reasonably good at withstanding temperatures and decomposes only at about 450°C (850°F).Unlike its sister material, Nomex, Kevlar can be ignited but burning usually stops when the heat source is removed.

Very low temperatures have no effect on Kevlar: DuPont found "no embrittlement or degradation" down to −196°C (−320°F).

Like other plastics, long exposure to ultraviolet light (in sunlight, for example) causes discoloration and some degradation of the fibers in Kevlar.

Kevlar can resist attacks from many different chemicals, though long exposure to strong acids or bases will degrade it over time.In DuPont's tests, Kevlar remained "virtually unchanged" after exposure to hot water for more than 200 days and its super-strong properties are "virtually unaffected" by moisture.
Also found three damaged Amana stainless steel microwaves at home improvement store today. Damaged so bad by forklift door would not close and seal. All retailed for $499 and above, two 1,200 and one 1,800 watt model. Manager let me have them all for $40 each. That's two matched 1,200 watt tubes to run in parallel, one big tube to run alone, likely put out more than three or four Wallyworld 1,000 watt microfryers in parallel as always over rated and Amana underrated. Power supplies, control boars, limit switches, capacitors and glass was unbroken so can be used for building Faraday enclosures need to have viewing ports. Am a sucker for microwaves that can scavenge the tubes and other parts from.
Old July 02, 2017, 08:51   #93
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Checking for armor deals can't pass up and found this on one guys auction.

Quote:
I will not sell this armor to any Federal Government Employee. *Period. *If you are a local law enforcement officer who takes your oath*seriously*to serve and protect American Citizens, I welcome you to purchase. *If you are employed by the FBI, NSA, DHS, BATFE, IRS or any other Federal Agency, I invite you to take a hike and spend your money elsewhere. *If you are an American Citizen who is awake enough to see the Government's Tyranny rapidly growing around you, I thank you....and you are more than welcome to purchase
Purchased one of his items though know it's going to fail my test. May stop rounds rated for but going to spall so bad it will be like walking through a shrapnel shower. Still like his attitude so may as well use his steel opposed to someone more politically correct.

About to load up for an emergency job and will have to run by BatteriesPlus to get an item. Needed to go anyway, last night wife said her flashlight batteries were all dead. Had noticed all the lights that sit on every coffee table, end table, nightstand, dresser, etc were slowly going MIA. Wife has hit point where has less issue reading normal print using flashlight with her bifocals so always uses a small LED light and won't put dead ones in the dead pile. Told her to bring me all the dead flashlights in her two common reading areas. 16 lights all totally dead, asked her what would we do if power went off and 16 of our lights were dead. All used three or four AAA rechargeables. Loaded three chargers then discovered my Maha/PowerEx smart charger has gone loopy. Owned it for over a decade and use almost daily so it was time. But had over 50 dead AAA batteries and only three four station chargers like to use. My fast chargers are for emergency only. Had a heart to heart and explained AGAIN when they go dead, put in the dead basket and will reload, cage batteries and add to charged battery basket. Looking at more dead batteries than charged thus if world went sideways would have to run genexrator just to top off batteries. So on way to first major power alarm location will stop and buy another Maha/PowerEx charger plus some more good AAA rechargeable batteries. Since they carry Eneloop, PowerEx and iGo Alkaline (full 1.5 volt opposed to 1.2 volt NiMH) plan on adding some fresh small device batteries to rotation. Bought so many new flashlights and radios for all the new overt rifle vests batteries are disappearing from regular rotation into vests where swapped quarterly but basically 8 to 16 batteries per vest lost from rotation baskets. Don't do standard batteries only, develop a system and get professional recharger (avoid fast chargers) and rechargeable batteries. Lots of them.
Old July 02, 2017, 10:36   #94
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
Man, I've hunted fleabay for similar deals that you are finding (i.e.: helmets) I can't seem to find/stumble across anything. Great reading by the way. Thanks for posting all this info.
Old July 03, 2017, 11:30   #95
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I will help you, eBay has some secrets and once learned can leverage for deals. One is the misspelled word search and mislisted topic search. Looking for an ACH MICH helmet? Instead of armor or current militarily look in collectibles for "bullet proof hemet" now do that with a dozen common misspellings. Then find the person with item want listed for too much, when listing ends keep watching and after third complete cycle without a bid contact seller and tell them willing to make offer. Had guy with seven ACH MICH helmets (advertised as "bullet proof helmet" no more info, pictures of one saying representative of all others at $90 each. A few messages swapped and discovered had removed the Wilcox night vision mount and helmet cover to take pictures. All seven had Wicox one screw mounts, covers, Team Wendy padding systems and two were high ear with N Rails. Also said two had these odd octopus looking things on front. Offered him $70 each and would take all. He sent a PayPal invoice for $490.00, paid him and seven near perfect ACH MICH helmets showed up with mix of digital ACU and woodland covers, Wilcox mount on each standard, three hole mounts on the high ears with N Rails and Norotoros night vision mounts with J-Arms that connect to anything with standard tripod threaded mounting hole. Well over $1,500 in head gear. Since way heavy sold three of seven for $125 each keeping the N.V. mounts and swapping covers to some Chinese made airsoft covers got stuck with. Left me with two high ear and two best standards for $115 and extra covers for my other helmets. Have to wheel and deal, watch a lot of auctions and people with bulk are motivated if offer to take all of their items.

Today made deal for a pile of 0.050", 0.080", 0.125" & 0.250" 10"×12" 6AL4V Titanium Plates along with some mixed thickness 6"×6" & 11"×13" plates. Seller agreed to round corners on all and dropped over $500 on what would have been $1,200 if done the fleabay "buy now" option. Been trying to figure out how to round corners before sew in Kevlar covers and experiment. If works will be making my own special threat plates soon. They said can feed me scraps in size ranges want by the hundreds. Find what want, someone with quantity or mislisted and offer to clean them out even if have to find friends to split deals with or sell a few for fair price and reduce cost of yours.
Old July 05, 2017, 22:47   #96
Glucker
Registered

FALaholic #: 12384
I've never given a thought to tazer-proof gear. Way more focused on not getting shot/stabbed/beaten to death/eaten, but those gloves seem like a great idea. Flopping around on the ground like an electrified trout while somebody takes my expensive SHTF weapon and does me in with holds no allure at all. I will look into them tomorrow and may well buy a pair.

So thanks for enlightening me.
Old July 06, 2017, 17:45   #97
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

The gloves were an impulse buy because found them way cheap. They are cut and hypodermic needle resistant and electronic discharge weapons protected. Not looked around much but Galls has the gloves for $75 but I paid under $20 with shipping. Seller listed five times in a row without a single bid, sent a message with an offer to take them off his hands (pun intended) and he said was tired of listing them. Even more functional is armor that is protected from electronic discharge weapons.

Can buy carriers with electronic discharge protection layers built in or panels that insert between carrier and ballistics like a stab/cut panel. It would suck to be all armored up, pistol on belt and some punk pop you from behind with a stun gun, cattle prod or taser. Tasers are getting cheap for refurbished units and got my first pair recently for doing security work so have a less than lethal option if some big burly guy with no gun gets out of hand. Shooting an unarmed person seems like a suck @$$ court case and wrestling a 6' 6" 275 pound logger on second case of beer sucks too. When work security for a group can't just un@$$ the A.O. which would be my normal response. A lot to be said about leaving before a situation hots critical mass but when charged with protecting kids and women can't cut and run. After tasing a really stupid friend realized once your stuck with the probes all it takes is another pop of juice if person decides to get unruly again.

Will say have been breaking in the gloves for over a month now and are not my favorite tactical gloves. But Nomex fire proof, cut/puncture resistant, electronic discharge protected, armored knuckles, etc; they would be my glove of choice if had to work an event where a riot was possible. When bottles are getting thrown, knives out, pepper spray tasers, stun guns and a crowd gone wild want all the protection I can get. One of my dexterity tests (picking up a dime off a flat counter) is difficult but can be done in these. Would not want to try and reprogram my radio manually with them and the small buttons on most of my handheld radios. If reach financially would try before I buy unless find at super deal.

Thorshield can be found in Point Blank and PACA vest carriers. Dot Gov and dot mil are both in the testing phase of integrating into federal agent and soldier systems. When I work a big church event where we hire several off duty cops who bring their duty kit I like to have electronic protection in case I were to get mixed up and confused for a trouble maker. Just one more extension to my tin foil hat.

Picked up a pair of PowerEx smart chargers and been running through all my rechargeable as wife keeps finding devices she has layer to side because batteries died. Also dug in the bag of old batteries only use for remotes. Have a bunch of rechargeable batteries dated more than 20 years old. (Write month and year put into service with sharpie on all) Ran a refresh and break in cycle on lots of batteries and the 20+ year old AA's rated for 700 and 900 milli amps are coming up to 70% to 80% of their original ratings but are a far cry from my newer Enelopes, PowerEx, etc that have 2,700 to 2,900 milli amps of reserve power based on battery analyzer. Having to make sure to keep them segregated into hot, medium and warm baskets so a set from 2005 doesn't end up in a tactical light. Even at m y discount $60 for a four station charger is steep but being able to rescue batteries others have written off and keep older batteries working for decades saves huge money on batteries. My CR123 rechargeables are still holding up two years down the road and not damaged any of my night vision or other electronics. Put eight PowerEx that all were over 2,700 milli amps in Icom battery backs for my most common tactical radios and they will run for days with lots of key down time. Remember to buy professional grade rechargeables and chargers.

Have so many new rifle vests and accessories coming in can't keep up with them. Between house and work counted over a dozen woodland pattern IOTV with soft armor and mix of special threat, multi threat, rifle threat and multihit AP rifle plates am having to figure out how to mark each for threat level. Have four of the British Kestrel K3's and two of the Mk 4 Multicams. Got to go pick up my new mannequins now that slow motion video cameras are in-house and start shooting some of them. Kind of a waste but need to know.

Have a guy trying to sell me some plates over past week. He has four sets of Level 4 multihit plates he paid $480 per plate and offering to sell for $400 per set to get some cash flow. Only issue is they are part of a recall from a manufacturer that closed their doors in 2016. NIJ published a warning saying were pulling NIJ certification for all of their products though many are still fine as I still wear my ForceOne vests regularly but know which are o.k. Unsure on his plates and told him would meet and we would shoot one of the eight picked at ramdom. If it stopped 30-06 black tip as supposed to would buy the other seven for his price. He says they are fine and won't shoot one to prove it. ForceOne is dirt cheap on fleabay if know which models are actually affected by the bad lots of Chinese Twaron and Kevlar. If don't know may be buying a vest with no ballistic value. Poor guy said was going to roll onto fleabay and will be like much of the rest getting no bids because most people don't know which is good and which isn't. Been doubling down on the dot gov Iraq contract surplus. Army paid $795 each and buying new in box $50 to $75. Shot two and passed with flying colors.
Old July 06, 2017, 18:25   #98
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
Your new gloves are really trick. Let alone get similar protection in a carrier or vest. My gloves of choice have been Kevlar, nomex, and leather. The dexterity is amazing and reminds me of a nomex flight glove, just beefier. The cut and needle proofing is huge though. A medic buddy of mine in the city got popped by a junky's needle when on a call and looking for id. Talked about stressed out until all the tests came back negative. I haven't got a chance to hit up flea bay w/ your suggestions yet, but plan to soon.
Old July 07, 2017, 17:13   #99
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

If involved in security or rescue means be prepared for fire. Every pair of tactical gloves I own are nomex. Buy a lot of flight crew Nomex/Goretex leather palm gloves for working. Can get warm for winter or just protective. When fueling generators don't want a splash to burn your fingers off back to the second knuckle. If it's raining or sweating don't want my hands wet inside my gloves. When in security role and have to search bags and packages, it's amazing the number of diabetics with used hypodermic needles in pocketbook and protective cap has fallen off and this is a church job. Imagine cops have junkies with needles on a regular basis tucked away in odd places. I never search till gloves go on. Never handle a bleeding person without gloves and mask, keep multiple packs of latex gloves in all vehicles. So many habits developed as first responder and learned so much in continuing education a pair of cut/puncture resistant gloves are attached to most of my overt armor kits.

Got some darn skippy nice panels in today, a three panel set from Europe that fits U.S. IOTV. Rated Level 3a+ with shotgun threats of #7 through BB and slugs from point blank range. Also stab and cut resistant as those Euros have to worry a lot more about Hajib sticking them with a shank or slashing with a machete. Slipped in my IOTV and British Kestrel Mk 2 perfect so will be getting more. Lucked out and saw a military surplus field EKG machine for $150 or make offer. Watched it relist third time and finish with no bids so made a $100 offer with free shipping contengent and the seller was happy to get rid of it, asked if had use of a cosmetically rough but perfectly functioning defribulator for another $100 if shipped both together. All public buildings including churches and businesses are required to have defribulators these days so one at the house in case my ticker skips a beat is worth a hundred bucks. Scored two new URL's for the big new website am building as a joke. www.AreYouTacticool.com and RUTacticool.com. Should have some fun with those. Two knife makers, both nationally known are sending me knives to review for the knife site so eventually will have more content than a person could want. Perfect project for a spew daddy.
Old July 12, 2017, 09:32   #100
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Yesterday may have been my best productive fleabay day of all time. This was not even my best score.

Seller had listed with an opening bid price expected a significant bidding war except for fact were mislisted and a $300 opening bid with $600 buy now option. Watched them roll a week without a bid, second week without a bid and ten minutes before third cycle ended sent seller a message offering $200 for the pair and would check out inside of five minutes if no bids at conclusion of third cycle. There were no bids, seller agreed, relisted with $200 buy now and less than five minutes after auction ended had a tracking number from her shipping label. Be here on Sarurday. Cheapest price can find on any site (these are still current production and under warranty) is $515.99 each plus shipping. Basically cleared a grand on this set of my favorite rifle plates.

Purchased over a dozen pieces of armor, accessories and trauma plates yesterday including a pair of Safariland/Protech 7"×9" multithreat plates. The real coup is a piece of U.S. Navy Multicam maritime body armor with quick release tabs in case fall in water and gear load is drowning you or hit and medic needs off quickly without causing more harm. Had all accessories including magazine pouches, pistol holster, IFAK, etc. Grand total price... $18.50 plus $12.50 shipping. See these go over $500 every time and often well north of a grand. Issue was seller listed "military boy armor" and it came up in the section with 1/16th scale toys but is the real deal. He saw a toy version, hit the "list similar item" tab and no armor buyers caught the mistake but me. Spent a grand total of under $400 and just the items still in warranty period and current production sell for over $4,000 in good used condition. Remember to search using common misspellings of words for items you wamt, especially in wrong catagories, can find screaming deals or frustrated sellers ready to cut deals and move on.