The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old August 28, 2018, 08:18   #51
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Now own a total of five Belgian made Browning A5's (three bought for the Rhodie conversion but were too nice) and a 16 gauge FN A5. Been chasing an FN 2 3/4" for a conversion a while now. Was contacted by another member tried to use a 3" Browning A5 to discover distance to lug is different and the long Rhodie/police forearm would not fit due 2" difference. Two of the five A5's own are family firearms so don't want to modify and three purchased were too nice when arrived to alter even though common shotguns. Found several sources for stripped FN receivers and wondering if anyone knows how difficult it is to totally gut an A5 to swap the Browning receiver to an FN?
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018, 17:38   #52
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Other than baby poop, my clone is done!
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018, 18:53   #53
imacoonass01
Registered

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Found several sources for stripped FN receivers
These?

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/rec-browni...ereceiver.aspx
Old August 28, 2018, 19:03   #54
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Purchased two A5 forearms with wood that has very similar grain structure. When have time plan to figure out where to chop, finger groove so fit strong as single piece and can refinish for a Rhodie/police length real wood forearm. Also have two of the modern synthetic A5 stocks and and two of the forearms which are free take offs from LGS. If were to trip into a deal for a modern A5 or two might try to use the spare synthetic aka plastic forearms and finger join them together for a modern military/police clone.

Hope when do my clone can do on a true FN A5 without emgraving. When chop barrel has enough meat to backbore for screw in chokes and then use a tritium front sight. With chokes can have a improved cylinder most of the time but if want to put people on the ground use #4 buck or duplex rounds with extra full choke to kneecap zombies might want to taunt or place on pikes alive so the screams are heard for miles. Also then have rifled choke for slugs and based on situation or specialty need it's truly configurable as a specialty combat scatter gun.

Have a 22' stick of pipe in house to cut and thread additional magazine tubes or make custom tubes for 3" magnum military/police clones as well. In spare time have been modeling my kit forearm in my CAD software so can send to my CNC router where one rotation will spit more out if want from a variety of materials. If there are no more kits coming in someone needs to at least set up to help others. I never have tried to make gun parts then turn a profit but more just to help folks.

Rate I am going won't be there soon but could probably knock one out faster on manual wood working power tools. With wood turning lathe, hand routers and a shaper might could make a copy with less trouble than the CAD work for my machine but once cad work is done it press buttons then rotate and let it finish. Till put my hands on unengraved FN 12 gauge A5 my kit is just sittimg. Need to also layout and print a woodgrain wrap for the handguards as well for folks that want a true wood look.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old August 28, 2018, 19:13   #55
imacoonass01
Registered

FALaholic #: 80275
Interesting.
Old August 28, 2018, 19:35   #56
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Just a "teaser" here since Huey bumped this thread. I have a line on a few more now, but I won't have them in hand for a couple of months or more, if they even come through as described.

To be continued.....

PS - I'm the one Huey spoke about that found out the barrel lug is in different spots in different models when I tried to put my own on together last weekend
Old August 31, 2018, 19:11   #57
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

For the guy who needs all things Rhodie, up for sale is an authentic Rhodie A5 shotgun with original rack number still with cosmoline from import. Am not affiliated with seller or gun, know what I read in advertisement.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/784421609
Old September 04, 2018, 23:32   #58
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

FALaholic #: 79627
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
For the guy who needs all things Rhodie, up for sale is an authentic Rhodie A5 shotgun with original rack number still with cosmoline from import. Am not affiliated with seller or gun, know what I read in advertisement.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/784421609
Went for $2975 plus shipping ($ unk.) on 27 bids, the last few going overtime (15 min. rule), i.e., a real "live" auction at the end between two bidders. I'm thankful for my Sarco unit, couldn't afford to buy one now.

BTW, the finish on this auction A9 looked strange, no evidence of the black (enamel?) paint usually present on the receiver and barrel of these Rhodie jobs. Is this a park or black oxide below the paint that someone removed, or was this one completely refinished? Inquiring minds!
Old September 05, 2018, 14:36   #59
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

That price sets a higher bar for value on a well done clone. Why I am waiting to score a FN A5 instead of an engraved Browning.
Old September 05, 2018, 14:54   #60
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
My new to me this year browning/Japanese made would definitely go Rhodesian if I get the chance.

It will be a mean ugly duckling...

Engraved- Japanese Rhodie.....hmmm