Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old July 07, 2018, 11:38   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
ATN PS15 N.V. Goggles

Wife asked me what I want for Christmas so she could start working on it. Have been looking at ATN's line of PS15 night vision goggles.

Quote:
The ATN PS15 is a compact, lightweight dual Night Vision Goggle System. It utilizes two high-performance Image Intensifier Tubes to provide extremely clear and crisp images under the darkest conditions. This dual tube design provides increased depth perception and outstanding clarity. A built-in IR lets the user easily read a map and function in a total darkness environment. Available in a wide array of Image Intensifier Tube configurations the ATN PS15 Night Vision Goggles is designed to handle every budget and mission requirement. The ATN PS15 Night Vision System is the high-performance choice!
Currently all helmets are set up with monoculars and if have to put on after dark usually grab a rifle with Gen 2+ or an I.R. day/night ATN X Sight since found deal in a few. Have a mix of Gen 2+ and thermal monoculars and wife said to give her a list with my top choices for Christmas with most expensive choices and a second list with less expensive options. Thus far given her two model numbers. The PS15-WPT Gen 3 white phosphorus with 45/54 lp/mm and the PS15-2 Gen 2+ with dual tubes and 51-64 lp/mm. Both are waterproof, operate from -50 to 150.

When look at a pair of dual tube milspec goggles new with warranty keep seeing prices starting at $8,000 for dual imaging tubes and going up to $20,000. No way wife is going to throw over $5k at used optic off fleabay and we have been very satisfied with all out ATN Gen 2+ night vision devices and at LGS only had one return fairly sure was operator induced and ATN covered it quickly and without any questions. Have basically told wife if the Gen 3 WPT are more than she will pay don't see point in the Gen 2+ goggles unless she wants my number one monocular which is an ATN Gen 2+ monocular.

Other option is putting a Gen 3 PVS 14 on the list with end goal of eventually buying a second to match and bridging kit. I have one WPT scope and seems like when back off from the black and white image it takes more time to regain full night vision as opposed to the green and black of my Gen 2+ devices. Have more night vision and thermal than need but if world goes sideways whoever sees best after dark will have huge advantage. Know we have a lot of night vision experts here and personally past the better Gen 2+ devices don't have much personal experience and buying housings, finding tubes and cobbling together a night vision system is not my gig, would rather buy best canned, out of the box with warranty system in our budget.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2018, 20:54   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

AN/PSQ-20 Enhanced NV Goggle

Since didn't get any feedback on previous post as been looking at potential Christmas presents have another. Have found quite a few of the newer generation *AN/PSQ-20 Enhanced NV Goggle that is both traditional starlight night vision technology and thermal vision sight in a single unit. Have been doing some research and thus far have learned it can be run as traditional Gen 3 starlight, current technology thermal vision or can "fuse" the two technologies so are using both at same time.

Apparently user can adjust the monocular (mounts on helmet just like traditional monoculars) so that they get best image possible for conditions based on mixing of the inputs so if suddenly a dust or smoke obscures view can twist up more thermal input and as any haze clears can adjust back toward starlight for better image clarity and detailed resolution. Don't know anyone that has used it and can really talk much about what they do but just reading manufacturer and dot mil claims. The unit has capability to upload view to the integrated battlefield so commanders can see what the soldier is viewing and they can send pictures or video clips to soldiers in field as needed.

The ATN PS15 Night Vision Goggles have been looking at are $5,000 street price at Gen 3 and resolution want. Regularly been seeing the AN/PSQ-20 Enhanced NV Goggle for $8,000 and recently had an oportunity to buy one at a price closer to what the ATN Goggles cost from a recently retired Army Ranger from the 7th Ranger Regiment and was a bit skittish over the "property of U.S. government" issues as had a Ranger leave a night vision monocular at my apartment after splitting up gear from a climbing trip and when called him said not to worry, just keep them nobody would care. I didn't feel good about it so drove them up to gate and he came down and retrieved them.

Less than 90 days later he and five of his close friends fell off the planet after misappropriation of government property. I was climbing almost every weekend with one of three out of the group and was asked questions to which I luckily knew nothing except the goggle I returned at the gate under the eye of witnesses. I buy lots of milsurp that I suspect is not legitimately acquired on fleabay but terms of fleabay say people can't sell equipment that is the property of dot gov, if caught loose their account and see lots of auctions pulled by fleabay and occasional vendors disappear. If it gets through their vetting, pay for it through PayPal using their rules of verified addresses and such so if deal goes south get money refunded.

Been buying huge amounts of USGI IOTV and other more specialized armor from fleabay vendors in Ukraine and Moldova which always comes through customs and lands at my door dirt cheap even with shipping if buy multiple units. Most of it is brand new and my best guess is Obama left warehouses full of the stuff plus I know 15,000 vests from Force One were ordered after the order to bring the troops home and landed on in Iraq as the last of the troops were leaving the coumtry. I figure every piece U.S. citizens buy is one less piece that ends up in hands of ISIS or Al Queda to be used against our troops and if fleabay and U.S. customs doesn't care then I will buy the stuff in bulk from my A list sellers.

So now I have two questions of importance. First is does anyone know how well this system works and is it good enough to warrant paying a couple extra grand for the monocular over a set of dual imaging tube Gen 3 goggles? Second question is what are the odds these units on fleabay and especially the ones am encountering at counter of LGS from guys mustering out are going to land someone in trouble? Like said, from fleabay have the PayPal safety net but some of the FTF deals that walk in on all sorts of personal gear are more likely improperly acquired? Have passed on several nice items in past few years from the withdrawal from Iraq and troops rotating home from Iraq.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old August 05, 2018, 22:17   #3
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
If you find one for sale that obviously was issued by our military, likely also missing the serial number, do not buy it. It was probably stolen and if caught with it, you'd be in a bit of trouble. Uncle Sugar hates when people steal from him, he truly hates competition.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 06, 2018, 09:52   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

And I do my best to collect toys without breaking rules. Found a couple vendors selling them new never issued to dot mil in grey. They are reputible vendors that are licensed dealers selling to dot gov agencies and civilians if have the cash. While called highest technology by dot mil bet SEAL's and Delta have access to some DARPA units that are years ahead of these but nothing us mortals will see soon.

Have some covert armor with DARPA labels that is NIJ 3a and was in the field long before civilians and cops had 3a soft armor that was easy to conceal. Found one kit on fleabay and seller said it belonged to his deceased father who was a Green Beret that mustered in during Vietnam, did his 30 and had been retired from military over a decade when he passed. Were selling off his stuff family not attached to. Figure 20+ year old soft armor from estate of retired and deceased S.F. soldier was o.k.

All the dot mil units seen were FDE and these have factory warranty and all accessories in original box for $8,000. Thats a lot of bling but near as can tell only issued to special operations troops and being on leading edge would be nice though wanted dual tube goggles. The thermal/starlight fusion is almost a must have but $3,000 more than goggles was wanting. Unsure if wife will pop that hard unless I sell something else to offset some cost.

The unit had hands on guy had mustered out due to injuries sustained in line of duty and started at $7,000 and was down to $5,000 when I convinced him just could not take in "property of" without correct papers declaring it surplus and he left quickly. Been there several times and done it same way every time. Have never been behind bars and too old to sit out a prison sentance. Had lots of buddies return from Gulf 1/desert Storm who said on plane home their top NCO handed out forms to declare lost gear and told them except for weapons and night vision could loose everything issued before plane landed. Pawn shops filled up with PAST helmets and desert gear like it was flowing out of a river. Unfortunately troops were issued flack jackets not real armor for The Storm and the helmets were heavier and less ballistic protection but did buy every piece of woodland found and figured was on shop owner to have figured out its ownership as its illegal to take stolen items in.