The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old January 03, 2018, 23:58   #1
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
WW2 Relic...V2 Rocket Trim Motor Assembly for the Air Rudders on the Tips of the Fins

Ok WW2 Fans: Let see if you can guess what this is?

History: Ok, several years ago, I was able to pick up some Genuine Demilled WW2 Ordnance from a Friend of the Family. The person’s Grandfather happen to be a WW2 Demolitions Expert and had several pieces he had demilled for show and tell. Fortunately for me, I was able to get some his duplicate items for my collection.

Now, one of the items that was in the purchase was a device that he said his Grandpa used to talk about quite often.

For Starters, I don’t think we have to put too much effort in guessing which country of origin it is from: https://i.imgur.com/T6QYAJw.jpg There appears to be (2) Nameplates on the device starting with this one: https://i.imgur.com/T6FTult.jpg followed by this one: https://i.imgur.com/Pm60slg.jpg finally I took a couple snapshots of the whole device from this direction: https://i.imgur.com/WWejR31.jpg as well as that direction: https://i.imgur.com/7xbhE9U.jpg

Does anyone recognize what it could be? The Family Friend told me that he was very regretful that he didn’t pay too much attention to what his Grandpa was saying about the War before he passed away, but he specifically does remember him mentioning this item quite often.

I will post his answer, but first...since I am not totally sure he is right or not...I will leave it open for a few comments to see if anyone else recognizes it? Maybe it is for something totally different?

Thanks!
Orion the Hunter

Last edited by Orion the Hunter; January 10, 2018 at 03:55.
Orion the Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 00:04   #2
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
German aircraft motor.
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 00:15   #3
Orion the Hunter
Registered

Sort of Close to What He Said! (in a way)

How did you come up with that? I was wondering about that at one time, but it didn't have the Luftwaffe Eagle which I though was kind of odd.

Actually, I will post the answer...but if anyone has any other thoughts...please let me know!

What he said his GP use to say, was: "That it was some type of part that goes to the Guidance System of a V2 Rocket.

I am curious how I could really find out if that is true or not?

You know, I wonder what would happen if I powered up the Cable?
Old January 04, 2018, 00:16   #4
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion the Hunter View Post
Ok WW2 Fans: Let see if you can guess what this is?

History: Ok, several years ago, I was able to pick up some Genuine Demilled WW2 Ordnance from a Friend of the Family. The person’s Grandfather happen to be a WW2 Demolitions Expert and had several pieces he had demilled for show and tell. Fortunately for me, I was able to get some his duplicate items for my collection.

Now, one of the items that was in the purchase was a device that he said his Grandpa used to talk about quite often.

For Starters, I don’t think we have to put too much effort in guessing which country of origin it is from: https://i.imgur.com/T6QYAJw.jpg There appears to be (2) Nameplates on the device starting with this one: https://i.imgur.com/T6FTult.jpg followed by this one: https://i.imgur.com/Pm60slg.jpg finally I took a couple snapshots of the whole device from this direction: https://i.imgur.com/WWejR31.jpg as well as that direction: https://i.imgur.com/7xbhE9U.jpg

Does anyone recognize what it could be? The Family Friend told me that he was very regretful that he didn’t pay too much attention to what his Grandpa was saying about the War before he passed away, but he specifically does remember him mentioning this item quite often.

I will post his answer, but first...since I am not totally sure he is right or not...I will leave it open for a few comments to see if anyone else recognizes it? Maybe it is for something totally different?

Thanks!
Orion the Hunter

I think it is a part of the mechanical bombsite.

Old January 04, 2018, 00:19   #5
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
The power wire to the motor is shielded and it has a sprocket at the drive that could be changed to get a needed drive / driven ratio, maybe for directional control.
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 00:19   #6
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
gear drive for a machine belt or maybe landing gear

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 01:08   #7
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
Not if we get more that one guess but I am going to assume we do so I am going with,

Alex, is it a motor for the navigation system?

Old January 04, 2018, 01:20   #8
Raggedwhole!
Registered

FALaholic #: 74227
It's an electric motor with a gear reduction box. It is 115v. I think it is a motor for an incinerator. For human bodies. Pretty grisly artifact. It's high voltage. Just kidding. It's 24v. It is probably geared for torque. But 24v is a voltage commonly stepped down from 120v or 115 in europe. Anything in a plane or tank was 6 volts MAYBE 12 volts. So it would be used in a building, for what? That is a great question.

Last edited by Raggedwhole!; January 04, 2018 at 01:30.
Raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 01:39   #9
Raggedwhole!
Registered

FALaholic #: 74227
I know exactly what it is for. It is part of a self propelled siege mortar.100% sure. PM me for specific information. I will give you a clue. Google Karl Gerat.
Raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 01:50   #10
swedishmauser
Registered

FALaholic #: 76539
Gerat (device) 19.5700.12 (stellmotor=actuator or servomotor)-googled 19.5700.12
Code FL 34313-2 (Wehrmacht-awards.com indicates use for aircraft trim)
So use in the V2 seems reasonable.
swedishmauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 06:04   #11
bgreywolf
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 80458
Even in the 1940s, 24V was a common industrial use voltage. I have a 24/28V engine analyzer for a B24 Liberator bomber that I found at an estate sale in NY.

That's got a gear reduction and is turning a sprocket that appears to be scalloped for a roller chain type drive; it's a servomotor so it's going to be synchronized to some other moving device rather than free spinning.

I lean toward aircraft VS tank/gun application but I'm not an expert on WWII hardware as much as a guy that works on industrial equipment (a lot of it German/Dutch and much of it related to Navy/maritime equipment as I'm a merchant mariner).

I would also think it may not be guidance specific, as roller chains usually don't have the precision for steering vs a direct linkage; I expect it was more for operating something more like gun aiming. I could accept the landing gear suggestion but I think those were more commonly hydraulic on most aircraft of the era; then again, the Germans do love electrical equipment and they do seem to have a knack for complexity...

Last thought: what's the end plate of the gearbox look like? I'm wondering if the sprocket is turned by a chain, causing the motor to spin and synchronize to something else (similar to the servos on an older compass repeater or radar antenna? Perhaps it's for an anti-aircraft battery to synchronize the guns with a fire director?).

So, really, no idea, but there's my thoughts. Neat bring-back, for sure.

*Edit: if he said it was for a V2, I could completely accept that it was part of the guidance or launch system...or for a V1, considering those used flight-surface type guidance more than the V2, which were mostly ballistic trajectory (not even sure they had adjustable flight controls? Again, not an expert).
bgreywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 06:38   #12
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Most of the autopilot systems I have seen use pulleys instead of gears so they can be overpowered by pilot as needed. Therefore, I do not think it has anything to do with autopilots.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 06:50   #13
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
It's like a mini wheel motor for a truck, but driving a chain instead. With the planetary it would be a significant reduction for a high torque/low speed load. Not an inexpensive piece to manufacture either.

Interesting, but I have no idea of application.
Old January 04, 2018, 07:58   #14
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
I am sure it is not a FN-FAL.
garandguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 09:15   #15
gw104
Registered

FALaholic #: 33874
That is a thing - a - ma - jig that runs the watcha - ma - call -it that runs the do - hicky.
gw104 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 09:41   #16
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFADLR View Post
The power wire to the motor is shielded and it has a sprocket at the drive that could be changed to get a needed drive / driven ratio, maybe for directional control.
Dance agitator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandguy10 View Post
I am sure it is not a FN-FAL.
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 09:48   #17
Story
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishmauser View Post
Gerat (device) 19.5700.12 (stellmotor=actuator or servomotor)-googled 19.5700.12
Code FL 34313-2 (Wehrmacht-awards.com indicates use for aircraft trim)
So use in the V2 seems reasonable.
Would you buy "V-2 Propulsion Cut-off Device, System I" for $1?
Looks like a variation of ze sprocketish thing in the lower right corner.

http://www.allworldwars.com/Technica...of-the-A4.html

Quote:
I will leave it open for a few comments

Last edited by Story; January 04, 2018 at 09:55.
Old January 04, 2018, 10:08   #18
def90
Registered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
The teeth look like it's a chain drive to me, not a gear drive.
Old January 04, 2018, 10:17   #19
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 51017
The sprocket is definitely for a chain.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 13:25   #20
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Its the German's version of the flux capacitor. With it they were able to travel through time to the future and insert Adolph into the American Political system to have another go at conquering the world. Of course they had to alter Adolph so that we would not recognize him. So they gave him a sex change and made him a blonde. He married an up and coming aspiring politician from Arkansas and Adolph thought his plan was going to succeed...until he lost the election last year because Americans can smell a pig no matter how much lipstick you put on it.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 13:32   #21
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedwhole! View Post
It's an electric motor with a gear reduction box. It is 115v. I think it is a motor for an incinerator. For human bodies. Pretty grisly artifact. It's high voltage. Just kidding. It's 24v. It is probably geared for torque. But 24v is a voltage commonly stepped down from 120v or 115 in europe. Anything in a plane or tank was 6 volts MAYBE 12 volts. So it would be used in a building, for what? That is a great question.
Pretty sure the Germans used 24vdc in aircraft just as we did. Also, the Luftwaffe relied more on electrical rather than hydraulic actuators to a large degree, which increases to possibility that it is an aircraft component.

Anyway, try posting the pics over on Warbird Information Exchange. You'll get much better answers than you have here - not that that would be very hard You'll have to register to post, but if you have eb
ven the slightest interest in Warbirds, it is well worth it. If you elect not to pst, let me know if you would like me to do it for you.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...wforum.php?f=3

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 13:34   #22
Story
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Its the German's version of the flux capacitor. With it they were able to travel through time to the future and insert Adolph into the American Political system to have another go at conquering the world. Of course they had to alter Adolph so that we would not recognize him. So they gave him a sex change and made him a blonde. He married an up and coming aspiring politician from Arkansas and Adolph thought his plan was going to succeed...until he lost the election last year because Americans can smell a pig no matter how much lipstick you put on it.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422406
Old January 04, 2018, 14:01   #23
gcouzens
Registered

FALaholic #: 73546
Is it part of V-1 rocket air long (distance counter)
gcouzens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 14:36   #24
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcouzens View Post
Is it part of V-1 rocket air long (distance counter)
I strongly doubt it. That counter was little more than a bicycle type odometer driven by a little propeller. It simply shut off the fuel when some contacts closed at the appointed mileage. I wouldn't think it would require any significant mechanical drives or motors.

Kinda hard to judge the exact size from the pix, but maybe 6" - 10" ? Might be a aircraft trim moter, but it could be about a bazillion other things as well.

WIX is your best bet for solid info on this.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
Old January 04, 2018, 17:42   #25
Orion the Hunter
Registered

Snowing Outside!

Ugh...Got to break free and haul some firewood, but when I get back I will snap a bunch more pictures and upload them in a couple few hours..all hand stand by!

Orion
Old January 04, 2018, 19:00   #26
Herr Walther
Registered

FALaholic #: 11681
I do not believe it to be an aircraft part. That is a Wehrmacht eagle on the tag attached to the motor and not a Luftwaffe eagle.

I have been looking at V-1 and V-2 G&C parts in internet photos but have found nothing conclusive.

Have a look at this photo,it might be on that table:

Though I cannot find a photo from blueprint drawing of the rocket, it's possible it is one of the guide vane servo motors or trim motors. I'm still searching.

This could have also been a gun positioning servo motor on a German tank or artillery gun. ????

Last edited by Herr Walther; January 04, 2018 at 19:33.
Herr Walther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 20:09   #27
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
I mentioned somewhere above what the mechanical device pictured "IS", but with the inherent sloppiness of a roller chain drive, it is difficult to figure out what it "DOES" in a WW2 German military application???

IMHO, the roller chain would make it too sloppy for a bomb sight or machine gun turret drive as mentioned above, but I don't know if that may not have been the best tech available in WW2???

Tail fin drive on a plane? Maybe wing flaps? IDK....LOL

Fascinating question OP! I love it and look forward to hearing the story
Old January 04, 2018, 20:20   #28
3Guneric
Registered

FALaholic #: 72897
I do know that...

V1 was a Luftwaffe program.
V2 was an Heer (Army) show until the SS took it over.
3Guneric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 20:28   #29
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
I mentioned somewhere above what the mechanical device pictured "IS", but with the inherent sloppiness of a roller chain drive, it is difficult to figure out what it "DOES" in a WW2 German military application???

IMHO, the roller chain would make it too sloppy for a bomb sight or machine gun turret drive as mentioned above, but I don't know if that may not have been the best tech available in WW2???

Tail fin drive on a plane? Maybe wing flaps? IDK....LOL

Fascinating question OP! I love it and look forward to hearing the story
Good points. If it is the size I am guessing, it might be a tad too small for a flap or landing gear drive, though. Very fair chance it isn't an aircraft part at all, of course.

Old January 04, 2018, 22:51   #30
Orion the Hunter
Registered

Herr Walther...I Don't Believe My Eyes!

All: I was reading through the various posts and ideas when I came across the one from Herr Walther that has a picture of a V2 with the parts layed out.

As I nonchalantly scanned at the various parts on the table...My Heart almost skipped a beat! I couldn't believe my eyes! If I am not mistaken...the freaking part IS on that table!

I posted a couple more link pics showing it close to the same angle on the table. All the casting shapes and shadows match up ! Needless to say, kind of exciting to actually look at a WW2 German V2 Rocket Picture and hold one of the parts right in my hand!

You be the Judge...Hint it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb - Right in the front-middle of the table end!

https://i.imgur.com/N44rfCJ.jpg and https://i.imgur.com/0VctUXc.jpg and end cap: https://i.imgur.com/kAaajQ4.jpg

Anyone else find any V2 Pics? Obviously, I am going to PM Herr Walther next and see where he found that pic!

BTW...One of the items that I got along with the deal is a "German Projectiles And Fuzes" Identification Book of sorts. If you have a German WW2 Fuze or Projectile that you would like more info on...send me a PM and I will see if it is in there.

Thanks Again Everyone...!
Old January 05, 2018, 00:43   #31
Herr Walther
Registered

The photo was found on an obscure website during a search for V2 G&C system voltage.

This photo happened to pop up. The address is in the photo. If you quote my post with the photo it will reveal the address

Since there are no fuel valves operated electo-mechanically to feed the hi- pressure boost pumps, these servo motors are the only moving part in the vehicle besides what they control. That is, the steering vanes that extend into the exhaust stream and the trim tabs.

Yes, I was almost a rocket scientist. I've been flying, studying, and working on rockets and missiles since I was about seven. Last system I worked on was Minuteman II.

Glad I could help out. Rockets and missiles have always been fascinating to me.

Here is the link to a V2 site. This has kept me entertained for hours.

http://www.v2rocket.com
Old January 05, 2018, 01:25   #32
Orion the Hunter
Registered

Herr Walther....It All Makes Sense

The guy I bought it from said that his Grandpa use to always tell him that it was a "Part to the Guidance System of a V2 Rocket"

I guess he knew what he was talking about! I will have to check out the sites and do some more research.

Maybe it is Rocket Science after all?
Old January 05, 2018, 07:46   #33
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

VERY COOL !!!!!!!

Props to Herr Walther, master FALFiles sleuth

Old January 09, 2018, 03:40   #34
Orion the Hunter
Registered

I Found a Cover-Up!

I was showing this to a friend of mine and he was checking it out...and discovered there is a "Hinged Cover" on the gadget that has a Switch or connections or something underneath it https://i.imgur.com/u6UiQro.jpg

Moreover..there seems to be a name that was inscribed on the inside of the cover...can anyone make out what it says? Could it be a German or European Name? https://i.imgur.com/RUzBmCX.jpg?1 I am hoping maybe it is a common foreign name...maybe something like in the US we would recognize "Joe Smith"...
Old January 10, 2018, 04:07   #35
Orion the Hunter
Registered

Part Officially Identified!

And the Winner Is?

Well, thanks to everyone for helping me out and pointing me in the right direction. Herr Walther gave me the first clue from the picture (seen in thread) of the part laying on the table that looks just like the part on my shelf.

Herr Walther also recommended a website: http://www.v2rocket.com so I decided to email them to see if they could recognize what it is and where does it go?

They (Tracy Dungan) replied back that it is a "Trim Motor Assembly for the Air Rudders on the Tips of the Fins for a V2 Rocket. He also attached the following documentation: https://i.imgur.com/iydXgxv.jpg that identifies the part...spot on!

Thanks again!
Old January 10, 2018, 18:47   #36
PvtJoker
Registered

FALaholic #: 41679
Quote:
I was showing this to a friend of mine and he was checking it out...and discovered there is a "Hinged Cover" on the gadget that has a Switch or connections or something underneath it https://i.imgur.com/u6UiQro.jpg

Moreover..there seems to be a name that was inscribed on the inside of the cover...can anyone make out what it says? Could it be a German or European Name? https://i.imgur.com/RUzBmCX.jpg?1 I am hoping maybe it is a common foreign name...maybe something like in the US we would recognize "Joe Smith"...
"Kilroy vast herr"?
PvtJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 20:50   #37
Herr Walther
Registered

I'm glad the V2 site could corroborate what I thought that part was. After studying the design there wasn't anything else it could be.
Old January 11, 2018, 04:22   #38
3Guneric
Registered

FALaholic #: 72897
I found this most interesting!

The V1 and V2's have been of great interest to me. In the 80's spent a number of weekends in France climbing around the ruins of the V weapons launching sites.
3Guneric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018, 09:32   #39
Edgartwib
Registered

FALaholic #: 80246
Quote:
The guy I bought it from said that his Grandpa use to always tell him that it was a "Part to the Guidance System of a V2 Rocket"
?
Id believe that. I went to college at NMSU within 60 miles there is the White Sands Missile Testing Range/NASA rocket test site...its also connected to the Trinity test site where the first Nuke was tested and Holloman AFB the former sight of the Stealth Fighters before we mothballed them. There is a really cool NASA museum in Alamogordo, NM that has 'scraps' of v2 rockets that were brought to America after the war to use for rocket testing.

That guys Grampa might have been a operation paperclip Nazi who got a free pass. Who knows!
Edgartwib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 03:38   #40
Orion the Hunter
Registered

I wondered that too...?

Edgartwib: I was wondering where in the world his Grandpa was able to acquire such an item because I figured all things rocket were probably restricted and very difficult to come by....unless you had trading material? Since it appears his Grandpa’s job was Demolishions Expert, due to the other items I obtained in the purchase, he probably had some excellent trading material to expand his collection? Next time I run into the Grandson....I will see if he remembers anything more about their conversation.

Thanks for bringing that question up!

Orion the Hunter
Old January 12, 2018, 11:48   #41
Edgartwib
Registered

FALaholic #: 80246
Just this summer I went to the NASA museum in Alamogordo and read the exhibit about V2s. It was called 'Project Hermes' https://www.seeker.com/project-herme...767449589.html

IIRC from my reading in the museum there were a number of V2 rockets that were lost in the Alamorgordo Valley and Organ Mtns of NM. Maybe the guy who 'acquired' said V2 parts was part of a chase crew or something and was able to salvage some parts of a trashed rocket...

My .02 would bet said acquirer worked or had a buddie who worked on Project Hermes and traded for some state of the art electronics at the time lol!
Edgartwib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 18:18   #42
lysanderxiii
Registered

FALaholic #: 70039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Walther View Post
I do not believe it to be an aircraft part. That is a Wehrmacht eagle on the tag attached to the motor and not a Luftwaffe eagle.

I have been looking at V-1 and V-2 G&C parts in internet photos but have found nothing conclusive.

Have a look at this photo,it might be on that table:

Though I cannot find a photo from blueprint drawing of the rocket, it's possible it is one of the guide vane servo motors or trim motors. I'm still searching.

This could have also been a gun positioning servo motor on a German tank or artillery gun. ????
The V-2 was an Army program....
lysanderxiii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 19:22   #43
Herr Walther
Registered

No foolin'?

I guess that's why there was a Wehrmacht eagle on the tag...
Old January 15, 2018, 00:07   #44
lysanderxiii
Registered

FALaholic #: 70039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Walther View Post
No foolin'?

I guess that's why there was a Wehrmacht eagle on the tag...
Actually, that comment was aimed more at those folks stating it was an aircraft part.
lysanderxiii is online now   Reply With Quote