Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old September 12, 2018, 19:04   #1
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
PSA Deal

The last thing I need is another AR, but these kits, at this price, with some 3-D printed lowers would make for some great freedom rifles for the coming Civil War.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...=12%3a00+Email
rowjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018, 19:48   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Why not slap a $39 aluminum lower on it and call it a durable fighting rifle rather than a potential failure at worst possible moment.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018, 20:15   #3
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Why not slap a $39 aluminum lower on it and call it a durable fighting rifle rather than a potential failure at worst possible moment.
While this is a valid point, and I was speaking tongue in cheek when I wrote the above, I believe the argument folks would use for going the route I suggest is it resulting in an "off the books" rifel so to speak.
Old September 14, 2018, 20:38   #4
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
While this is a valid point, and I was speaking tongue in cheek when I wrote the above, I believe the argument folks would use for going the route I suggest is it resulting in an "off the books" rifel so to speak.
Not a bad idea.

Gun show two weeks ago, fellow had three new Anderson lowers on the table, 45 each, asked how much for all three, 120.00, started to pull out my CCW, and do paperwork, gentleman said, cash and carry, he was not a dealer, had them, didn't need them.

Private no paperwork sales/deals are out there.

For a while longer at least.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018, 21:06   #5
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
There are lots of people selling off receivers and parts guns cheap in private sales now that the market is soft.
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018, 21:55   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Yep, many people bought in bulk expecting prices to go up, have not and trying to recoup some cash. I have many lowers but a legal FTF deal or three pops up not going to walk away. Besides, on the books is not as tightly controlled as one may think. Serial numbers never go to Feds or states unless ask specifically. Dealer is only one with them and rats get into paperwork all the time.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old September 14, 2018, 22:29   #7
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Not a bad idea.

Gun show two weeks ago, fellow had three new Anderson lowers on the table, 45 each, asked how much for all three, 120.00, started to pull out my CCW, and do paperwork, gentleman said, cash and carry, he was not a dealer, had them, didn't need them.

Private no paperwork sales/deals are out there.

For a while longer at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
There are lots of people selling off receivers and parts guns cheap in private sales now that the market is soft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Yep, many people bought in bulk expecting prices to go up, have not and trying to recoup some cash. I have many lowers but a legal FTF deal or three pops up not going to walk away. Besides, on the books is not as tightly controlled as one may think. Serial numbers never go to Feds or states unless ask specifically. Dealer is only one with them and rats get into paperwork all the time.

Thanks guys, but I actually know all of the information you're trying to "share" I appreciate you trying to educate me.

Or are you just trying to refute what I'm saying, because nobody has done that. The initial manufacture and disposition is on the books, regardless of any subsequent FTF sale. But, I'm not worried about it, I was just presenting the valid argument of why someone might opt for a printed lower.

You seem like a bunch of old men with nothing better to do with their time than try to "win the internet."
Old September 14, 2018, 22:58   #8
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Thanks guys, but I actually know all of the information you're trying to "share" I appreciate you trying to educate me.

Or are you just trying to refute what I'm saying, because nobody has done that. The initial manufacture and disposition is on the books, regardless of any subsequent FTF sale. But, I'm not worried about it, I was just presenting the valid argument of why someone might opt for a printed lower.

You seem like a bunch of old men with nothing better to do with their time than try to "win the internet."
Well damn!
Now even being in agreement with ya gets your knickers in a knot.
What's this here internet you can win?
Bought me a lottery ticket once, sadly it did not win nuthin.
We are mostly old men around here youngster, mind your manners in tha presence of ya betters, ya hear?
Huey, no invite for this one to tha fish fry Saturday, that'll teach him!

Old September 15, 2018, 00:14   #9
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Well damn!
Now even being in agreement with ya gets your knickers in a knot.
What's this here internet you can win?
Bought me a lottery ticket once, sadly it did not win nuthin.
We are mostly old men around here youngster, mind your manners in tha presence of ya betters, ya hear?
Huey, no invite for this one to tha fish fry Saturday, that'll teach him!
Did you guys need one of them drums of lube for the fry? Or a I saving them all for the post-apocalyptic business model?
Old September 15, 2018, 00:52   #10
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Did you guys need one of them drums of lube for the fry? Or a I saving them all for the post-apocalyptic business model?
SAve'em, might be a long time before replacement/reshipment occurs!

Tha end of world lasts a long time they sayD

Old September 15, 2018, 17:59   #11
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
What about those 80% aluminum paperweights. No expense of the printer and supplies. Just a drill press and a little skill with tools. And they will probably outlast those printed versions quite a bit. Just sayin'.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2018, 19:33   #12
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
What about those 80% aluminum paperweights. No expense of the printer and supplies. Just a drill press and a little skill with tools. And they will probably outlast those printed versions quite a bit. Just sayin'.
Good point.
Old September 15, 2018, 21:07   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I would do 80% before printed for durability but whatever floats your boat. Not trying to change your mind or disagree, just engaging in conversation on subject from other point of view. Have used a few printed magazines and all failed inside of ten full cycles. This is internet banter, not arguing or disagreeing. Have a six pack of 80% lowers opened box for first time last week. Friend bought a bunch and was able to score them FTF on a cash deal. All were machined from German T7 billet blanks and very well made. Someday will take time to finish the other five and be finished but will add serial numbers even if not turned in to any agency just will look better for Barney on the side of a road.
Old September 15, 2018, 21:16   #14
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

When this country truly goes sour, rifles and handguns will be around everywhere, ammo to feed them most likely the critical component.

I'd expect that most folks around the FF have taken out a self paying insurance policy for both weapons and ammo, in case they ever find themselves disarmed for any reason.

Printed, 80%, cash and carry/no paperwork, a resounding, "I sold all my firearms officer" and no, no idea to whom,,,,all works.

Old September 15, 2018, 21:46   #15
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Quote:
When this country truly goes sour, rifles and handguns will be around everywhere, ammo to feed them most likely the critical component.

I'd expect that most folks around the FF have taken out a self paying insurance policy for both weapons and ammo, in case they ever find themselves disarmed for any reason.

Printed, 80%, cash and carry/no paperwork, a resounding, "I sold all my firearms officer" and no, no idea to whom,,,,all works.
This...and all those pesky boating accidents....guys should learn not to canoe around with their collection.

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018, 07:32   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I lost three SKS's with 1,200 of steel core per rifle in my teens. Was quote a hit for the poor kid and always meant to go look for them but just have not had time. My brother, nephew and one niece have been told the great area on the farm I last remember seeing them but it would likely require chainsaws and grading equipment to find them. Once you trip in North GA hills and drop something in a hole if don't have time to get back to it soon next thing you know trees will have grown up and give it a decade or so don't even recognize the area. Living on a 55,000 acre lake will say it's real easy to drop things over the edge of a boat in the heat of reeling in a big fish or water skiing.

What really upsets me are the stolen firearms, some I had serial numbers recorded and was able to report others had not gotten logged in before the thieves got to them. We have an eight acre farm pond on the farm which I could see the Feds putting divers with metal detectors or just draining the thing. Whats going to be funny is I know there are over 100 handguns in the murky mud at bottom of pond. Was a company from the 1950's that operated till 1986 named RG churning out the cheapest handguns ever seen. Also a comoqny called Erma. Was not uncommon to buy one FTF for $10 from someone needing a six pack and gas money home or for $20 to $25 in pawn shops in rough condition and occasionally had people give them to me. My grandmother even owmed a 380 Auto made by them that might be the best one had ever seen brought back from my uncle while,in the Navy from somewhere.

I had a few friends shot with all the time we got hold of every RG and similar quality handgun we could for $20 or less and would first check to see if timed well enough to shoot. Some when cylinder rotated would be dead centered on edge of forcing cone and a bomb waiting to go off. Almost every single wheel gun would spit pieces of bullet out the sides of barrel cylinder gap as well as down ramge, we learned to never stand beside one of these when fired and always wear heavy leather gloves with the best looking units. People wo u ld give us broken ones which we fixed or rigged just good enough to fire.

An RG 38 special:

Often one would have a broken hammer spring and cost to repair was more than buying a new unit in the box. We had an area down near the dam of our pond with big bank where dirt was cut to build the dam. We built a rig to shoot the really bad ones by cementing a steEl post in ground and welding some arms where could tape grips or remove and use screw to attach pistols to "the rack". Learned how to put heavy rubber bands around them that could make them fire one round and pull trigger with spring. Would pull bullet out of rimfire and load with compressed load of bullseye and load all chambers or carry a Lee handloads and make up a round of 25 acp, 38, etc where would fill the brim with Bullseye seat a bullet load and blow the guns up to watch them pop like a fire crackers. Some days we would bust half a dozen and throw the remains in the farm pond. If the liberals put a special satellite in the sky staring at farm ponds guarantee when day of search and seizure comes they will spend millions of dollars pulling busted and broken RG's and Erma pistols out of the pond.
Old September 16, 2018, 13:11   #17
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

When things turn really sour here in our country, just have anything that shoots, a rifle and a handgun, know how to properly operate both, have some ammo for both, a cleaning kit, a few spare parts to keep both running and a good positive attitude for living hard.

Everything else will work itself out, in the end, you'll either survive or die.

Simple is good, complex makes a man short and grumpy.

Old September 16, 2018, 19:44   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Rather have one good rifle with complete spare parts kit and 25,000 rounds of ammo than a dozen rifles with 500 rounds of ammo per rifle. NatGeo ran a series about U.S. soldiers in Afganistan. When they deployed for their year in the "Valley of Dearh" all had GoPro cameras on chest and helmet N.V. mounts if doimg a daylight patrol. Their sergeant was always screaming cease fire, cease fire, cease fire as continued to hear full auto mag dumps.

General M.O. was they would be patrolling a ridge line, roadside known to be rigged with IED's often or patching a big crater in a road from an ID explosion and one to three shots would come in and all would just start dumping rounds. Remember one episode where had been in-country about six months and we're exploring some shallow holes along a rocky ridgeline that Taliban was known to use to snipe at convoys travelling the road below. Started getting too far from support vehicles and sergeant kept telling the kids to stop moving uphill to come back and move toward their support vehicles.

One kid ignored and kept going higher f OK ring his cover man to follow which pulled the SAW gunner and Fire Team with him. Sergeant was berating other Fire Team to not go higher but eventually the dumb corporal kept moving up dragging his team reluctantly with him while sergeant kept screaming and radio ordering them to stop moving up the hill as were splitting the squad and they ignored so he was forced to pull the other Fire Team up the hill to cover them and about the time he convinced all it was time to go down because were out of range of their support vehicles weapons.

Before they fully comitted to reverse direcction two rounds hit in their vicinity. All went to firing ammo hard as could in random directions. Their SAW gunner dumped and entire belt while sergeant yelled cease fire. One kid who had three cameras on him dumped four or five magazines before stopped shooting and his first words was "did anyone see where those rounds came from? WTH??? He had just dumped half his ammo and had no clue where shots came from or even a general direction. Just started dumping mags when heard gunfire and didn't stop till sergeant got them calmed down. Half his ammo was gone and had not fired a round in direction of threat.

Sergeant started getting sit reps from each man, nobody hurt, some men burned 25% of ammo, some half and others were almost black on ammo. The guys with more started pitching a mag or two to the guys alost out. Stupid, let the men smart enough to conserve ammo keep theirs and order the guys low to only fire semi auto when had a target in sights. Turned out three or four of the guys had a rough location on where shots came from but were out of range of the support vehicles Ma Deuces and Rockets even if had a good fix on enemy. Sergeant got all guys in a skirmish line but were in area with almost now cover when three more rounds came and guys went to blindly chunking 5.56 rounds at a ridgeline about 800 meters away.

Sergeant got them finally slowed down and put his SAW gunners on area where fire came from and leapfrogged men a ridgeline away which had cover then got entire team back on new ridge and worked thier way down hill with cover to trucks. As got close to trucks realized ridge were on had mix of mines and IED's which had not been swept. Carefully threaded men through the obstacle back to trucks where 1/3 were down to last couple of spare mags begged off men who only fired if had a target area in sight. Men who had been through basic, AIT and trained another six months before deployed and had six months in country could not ration ammo when had no target other than blindly firing at nothing. If not for a few guys with sense the entire lot could have gone black on ammo. See guys dump entire mags on single target at range before get vital area hits.

When have friends and maybe even combat vets that are used to more ammo only being a stop at the store or a helo drop away helping protect your hive better have some rounds piled up. I work on marksmanship and target identification with my friends and know which ones who will only get standard semi-automatics and a few hundred rounds on their kit till an ammo bearer will resupply them. Unless know thier habits won't be handing out binary and full auto to anyone am worried will ammo dump on a bush waving in the breeze. My rule is 10,000 rounds per rifle. As go through build spurts get behind but finishing a 10,000 round 6.8 run, almost prepped for an 8,000 round 7.62×51 run and have 20,000 of 30,000 cases of 5.56 prepped to support some recent builds.

Have spare barrels, bolts, receivers, optics, and small parts to keep a couple dozen rifles fully serviced and if have to as they fall apart will dig another out and split out of service weapons into useable parts for the parts bins. My job along with wife's and a couple others will be precision fire while some will just man a post and hopefully do what need without too much waste. Will have ability to reload at least half the cases during down time and hope we have a decades ammo before resort to rimfire. At least the precision 10/22's with BX25 mags are 1 MOA rifles or better to 125 yards. If we can last a decade with ammo in long term storage lockers will be very happy as a decade in will have to have stabilized some or all be dead.

Know people with four or five nice rifles that have to stop and buy ammo if going to the range. I have 3,000 rounds on stripper clips under each bed and next to recliner and sofa not counting what's on vests and in bandoleers ready to go in mags already. Ammo, ammo, ammo. It's like fuel for generators and vehicles and water with a way to filter for drinking and pump for irrigation. Gotta have plenty. Used the current hurricane/tropical storm as excuse to pour my small cans (five gallon) in trucks then refill with stabilizer till after first winter storm and generators/HVAC will be running off natural gas or propane for months before need gasoline.

Whats hurting is stockpiling 22 Nosler and 458 SOCOM. Least I know 2,000 rounds per barrel is all need for the Noslers but have at least one spare barrel for all four at house that's 16,000 rounds. Expect the subsonic 458 barrels to last forever but unsure about bolts so trying to set 5,000 rounds per build back for now. All this and have to keep range ammo going. I don't want to get to point am saving last round for myself because didn't have enough ammo on hand when world goes sideways. By 2030 to 2034 if still alive believe we will be in that period. World hits more population than our planet can support in 2028 in third world countries so by 2030 will be like Cambodian Boat People flooding into U.S. and western Europe like a tidal wave from Africa, Asia and South America. Without a big burly wall at the border and a president willing to put troops on it with shoot to kill orders our society will fall soon after 2030. It's simple math.
Old September 19, 2018, 13:04   #19
fly2.0
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
Quote:
When things turn really sour here in our country, just have anything that shoots, a rifle and a handgun, know how to properly operate both, have some ammo for both, a cleaning kit, a few spare parts to keep both running and a good positive attitude for living hard.

Everything else will work itself out, in the end, you'll either survive or die.

Simple is good, complex makes a man short and grumpy.
I agree ^^^^ If it ever come's to that , There should be plenty of weapon's & ammo on the ground to pickup .

********** The Ignore List Works Great **********
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote