Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old April 10, 2019, 17:17   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Belgian Hi Power Came Home

Since we have no Hi Power discussion room figure any John Browning design SAO pistol goes in this area as well as any. Back when the doctors found brain tumor following a MBA in which my L2 and L3 vertebrae were broken I flipped out and sold over 100 firearms, many nice, mostly my nicer guns to save wife the hassle. While doing an MRI of my neck a sharp doctor noticed something odd in corner of one film so had that area imaged to find a tumor. So by texting and driving then rear ending me in manner that broke my life that hag may have saved my life as tumor was slightly smaller than a pea and otherwise may have been too late if found later.

Sold this Belgian Hi Power to an older friend in ham radio with caveat that if I lived and he decided to sell it I wanted right of first refusal. Today he showed up at work and sat the box I gave it to him in down which pistol has lived in for the 30+ years I have been associated with it. Thinking about the Aussie L2a1 and CETME purchased in past week realized was going to be hard to talk wife into me digging into the "knucklehead" money for another gun. We have been hoarding some cash for day we see a deal on a Harley Knucklehead and I have dipped into it first time as sock drawer where gun money is kept has been dinged pretty hard.

Told friend my situation and would have to talk to wife before could discuss if could buy much less even price. He looked at me and said he was at age time to put things back in their place, had dispersed a bunch of guns to kids and grandkids. While pilfering vaults saw my beloved Hi Power and decided to return it, didn't want any money. Is that one way to judge quality of friends? I think it may be a clue as to our status as friends.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 17:27   #2
fal308762
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 80348
you have a true friend indeed beautiful pistol carried one for years, accurate reliable,enjoy it
fal308762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 18:48   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Going back in the stack with the Canadian Inglis, Portuguese and other variants didn't part with. Luckily learned I was going to live before sold too many Hi Powers and any 1911's.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old April 10, 2019, 19:39   #4
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Thatís a stunner Huey- glad itís made itís way back to you. Is it a T-series by chance?

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 20:08   #5
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I would really like to own a Renaissance HP, one of the most beautiful handguns ever produced. Before the laws in Oregon changed my friends and I would often swap the same gun around as the need arose. Nobody made any money on the deals but it was nice to trade for something you had before and wanted to use some more.
Old April 10, 2019, 20:57   #6
Redoubt
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Thank you for the story. As a HP lover this story rocks!
Redoubt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 22:43   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Yes a T series.
Old April 11, 2019, 06:41   #8
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Fantastic all around, Huey!

Enjoy it in good health.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 08:58   #9
Bug Tussell
Registered

FALaholic #: 2872
A classic.
Old April 11, 2019, 13:07   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

When I first owned this pistol would shoot it once or twice a year along with the Ingles and most of the others, clean and put away. In the decade it's been out of my possession the caretaker would imspect, oil and wipe down on occasion but said he never put a round down the pipe. Now the conundrum, leave it as a vault queen preserving as much of its originality as possible or put a magazine through it on occasion? Have scuffed pistols just sitting on bench between reloads. What does a T series in good condition bring these days, doubt I will part with it due to manner in how it came home but am interested.

It has minor wear but very minor as most complexion issues in photo are really reflections off angles or heavily oiled areas. Has very slight holster wear right at front edges of the slide but otherwise fairly free of defects. Serial is T20128x anyone know how to date that serial number for sure. Browning web site says it's 1967 manufacture and assume they have accurate numbers but learned not to trust the internet 100% till had verified the source. All the proof marks are crisp and original so not one part ever swapped or altered. Will take better pictures later from more views.
Old April 11, 2019, 13:11   #11
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Good on ya mate
Old April 11, 2019, 14:30   #12
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
When I first owned this pistol would shoot it once or twice a year along with the Ingles and most of the others, clean and put away. In the decade it's been out of my possession the caretaker would imspect, oil and wipe down on occasion but said he never put a round down the pipe. Now the conundrum, leave it as a vault queen preserving as much of its originality as possible or put a magazine through it on occasion? Have scuffed pistols just sitting on bench between reloads. What does a T series in good condition bring these days, doubt I will part with it due to manner in how it came home but am interested.

It has minor wear but very minor as most complexion issues in photo are really reflections off angles or heavily oiled areas. Has very slight holster wear right at front edges of the slide but otherwise fairly free of defects. Serial is T20128x anyone know how to date that serial number for sure. Browning web site says it's 1967 manufacture and assume they have accurate numbers but learned not to trust the internet 100% till had verified the source. All the proof marks are crisp and original so not one part ever swapped or altered. Will take better pictures later from more views.
On collectibles it's all about condition, you get more money if it's in good shape. The T series is sought after and if it's finish is really good you will probably get $1200+ out of it if you go to sell it. They quit making BHP and prices will rise on the best guns but I repeat, finish is everything.

Edited to add, once a gun gets discontinued then finding good magazines becomes difficult, keep an eye out for them because they are bound to get expensive later.

Last edited by Bawana jim; April 11, 2019 at 14:52.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 17:51   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Think I may need to send to reputable professional antique firearm person for a true professional cleaning. I am unsure sometimes where cleaning becomes destruction. Where making a part shiny is removing the original patina. Want so much to buff the barrel so the barrel hood and proof marks shine but afraid may remove patina, some original bluing or scuff some parts taking apart and pollibly dropping am wondering if this pistol warrants going to a professional for a proper cleaning and any little improvements that don't devalue it.

I actually have a couple dozen firearms that should send to a reputable company/smith for professional cleaning, rating in condition using the most common accepted scales along with current valuation. Even my NIB still packed in cosmoline AK 47's and other than opening box to confirm serial on rifle matched that on box are still in cosmoline. Especially odd balls like the SKS-M's. A dozen or so Colt SP1's that get wiped with an oily rag and put back in a vault, Springfield M1a's I purchased in the 1970's and 1980's which are pristine and other than verifying glass every couple years sit in dark vaults with heavy coat of oil.

My 1911 collection is going to be a chore to appraise. Left handed stainless Randalls from the two years they were in operation that when they closed their doors became investor grade firearms within a couple years. Have a matched set of right and left hand Curtis E LeMays, consecutive serial numbers, Randall Commader size, full size right and left had and even one "T" prefix prototype. Have first iteration of Detonics in stainless, blue steel, options offered on only a half dozen pistols before they folded, at least one or two of the lower production models from their second atrempt and third attempt. New model Colt Series 70's, stainless Gold Cup Commander, pre-war 1911's and WW2 issue Colts a bunch of cast off customs from the 1980's and 1990's that are mix of Colt, Caspian and every other make with mismatched slides and frames.

Every once in a while find that other cast off home done or professionally built custom from the beginning years aka "golden days" of IPSC, bowling pin and more different sports where the 1911 ended up modified for said sport of the season that am able to split in half along with one or two others to suddenly have a Colt slide on Colt frame that could have shipped together as from factory or any number of other makers reunite matched brand slides and frames.

To pile up pieces of these now rare pistols constantly to occasionally put a matched unit back together and resort as many original features makes me feel like doing a good thing as way too many people like me took WW2 Colts ripped them down to bare slides and frames then mixed and matched with slides and frames from other brands or aftermarket parts to build a pin gun or bullseye gun to have a classic lost. Anytime I see a dirt cheap bastard 1911 custom from 20 to 30 years ago it gets put in the pile with hopes that another will appear allowing another Colt frame and slide to be reunited or even on occasion a Randall and did this with one Less Baeur.

Here are some more pics of the Belgian T Series Hi Power. Camera phone sucks and need to break out a DSLR after I clean it up some.

Old April 11, 2019, 18:19   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Never have really photographed my Hi Powers and posted but notice upper left in pic of table of work shooting break have the Inglis laying on pistol rug.

Portugal made average Hi Power.

Canadian"battlefield pickup".

Guess need to dig into the vaults, consolidate the Hi Powers and photograph some of the others plus better pics of these. For a guy who never believed in 9mm as a carry cartridge sure piled up a lot of Hi Powers and Ingram M10's. Otherwise carried major power factor pistols or pocket pistols, these were just "collectables" due to their history.
Old April 11, 2019, 18:27   #15
Bawana jim
Registered

Oils turn gummy or lacquer over time so if you intend to use the BHP after it sat for so long then I would clean it. With the pictures you posted I wouldn't do a restoration, you won't get more money out of it and it won't shoot any better. It's a good looking gun and while not perfect it is what collectors want. I would be proud to own one that looks that good.

Last edited by Bawana jim; April 11, 2019 at 18:39.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 23:03   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Yes too nice for restoration but seen some guys who can clean up surface rust and such without taking off any additional bluing. Like a good auto detailer before sell a classic car. Seen people pay $700 to $1,500 to have car detailed and add $10,000 to sales price.
Old April 11, 2019, 23:28   #17
Bawana jim
Registered

Collectors pay for original condition without any alteration. If your guy can clean it up with out hurting it's original condition then it may bring you more money. That barrel hood would clean right up with Fitz polish rubbed on with a patch and unless the rest of the gun was cleaned up to match it would look wrong. However most collectors today don't have a great eye for what's different.

It's your gun and a really great one, do what makes you happy and don't look back. Another one like it probably won't come your way as easily as this one did.
Old April 12, 2019, 09:23   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Had an AR 15 gave away as a gift returned when person I gave it to moved to a ban state. Told him if ever moved back to a free state would give it back to him. All my friends/relatives or their kids who deploy to combat zone all get a Randal Model 15 Airman knife to take and then a basic junk box/spare parts build AR 15 when return from last tour/retire from military. I believe being generous breeds generosity back my way.
Old April 12, 2019, 10:52   #19
Bawana jim
Registered

Before the law changed here I gave guns away to people I felt important in my life. I dont expect them back. Had a Smith 19 trade hands back and forth about four times. A 870 three times and that is with non family members. 7mm mag traded 3 times and he has it now.

Friends that died have left me a few guns but I ended up giving the guns to their grand kids years later.
Old April 14, 2019, 15:16   #20
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
You have a good friend indeed! Good to hear that one returns to the fold.
Old April 14, 2019, 15:20   #21
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Huey one of these days I'm going to get a real FN Hi Power. Nice looking pistol. For now, all I have is my FM. Never realized how well the HPs balanced.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 10:00   #22
Grahamneall
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
The 'T' series is the most sought after HP; not to mention the best HP FN manufactured. They improved their heat treatment methods.

I believe yours MAY hav been produced for the European market, as it does not have the serial number stanped on the barrel. Most, if not all HP's designated for the US market had the serial number on the barrel.

Portuguese only assembled the HP, all component manufacturing was done by FN.

Sad to see them out of production after all those years.

Graham.
Grahamneall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 15:19   #23
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamneall View Post
The 'T' series is the most sought after HP; not to mention the best HP FN manufactured. They improved their heat treatment methods.

I believe yours MAY have been produced for the European market, as it does not have the serial number stamped on the barrel. Most, if not all HP's designated for the US market had the serial number on the barrel.
This pistol was originally acquired from same person my Inglis Hi Power came from when he was getting too old to enjoy and wanted them to go to someone who would not take them to a pawn shop or leave under the seat of a pickup truck. Many of his firearms were "bring backs" from combat zones or places U.S. troops were never said to visit.

I know the history on the Inglis as he told me whose body he removed it from. Had no such story on the T model but could have come from one of those places he never went and even to me, except for a hint there were such he carried those details to the grave as far as I know. Had I not had broken neck, brain tumor and promise if sold I would get first option would have never sold when I did it but was going to a caretaker and student of history. There are a few more hoping will get an option to buy back eventually.
Old April 15, 2019, 15:21   #24
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
This Saturday I went to a LGS that I do business with just to have a look. In the used handgun display case was a somewhat rough looking Browning High Power Mark III 9mm. I had no interest in it as I own four BHP's. But the price tag caught my eye. $900 for this piece. It was on consignment. I asked the dealer if anyone had shown any interest in it. He told me that it had been in the case for close to three weeks and no one gave it more than one glance.

Another case of someone trying to cash in on a pistol no longer in production. I certainly am no expert when it comes to pricing used weapons but I suspect that this BHP was one of the Israeli milsurps that have been imported in recent years. Priced at $400 or so it probably would have been sold right away.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote