The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Marketplace

Notices

Old April 09, 2019, 09:51   #1
Slickstick55
Registered

FALaholic #: 82378
WTT/WTS FAL Battleworn Red (STG58/Century?)

SOLD SOLD SOLD

For trade is a new to me FN(?) FAL that I purchased from a person local to me, I shall tell the story of this rifle as it was told to me:

The rifle is an 80s/90s Century rifle built on what looks to be an STG58 Kit based on what other interested buyers have told me. The previous owner who I purchased from said it belonged to a North Carolina sheriff department, in which one of the retiring sheriffs took for his own. From what I was told and found online, this may be a good thing that it was government owned? Anyhow, it is now in my possession, somewhere along the line some one (recently?) decided to paint the rifle a Battleworn red, which does not look too bad, depending if you are into the whole Gucci gun stuff. As of writing this on 04/01/19 I have not fired the rifle, yet once that happens I shall update this post with my findings. Ammo should be shipped to my house today 04/09/19 and the gun will be taken this week to be fired. The rifle's bolt hold open function works flawlessly and I am going to learn how to field strip the rifle down and try to get a good look at the internals, the gun store I frequent stated the firing pin and bolt looked good so that is a plus.

With all of that being said, you will receive this rifle with 2 20 round magazines 1 polymer and 1 steel. I am not really in a rush to get rid of this rifle, as it is a neat piece of history to own and from what I can see online it is difficult to find these rifles for anything less than $1000. I am just very interested in owning an Arsenal Ak, preferably an AK74, but I would consider an AK chambered in .556 and of course 7.62. I have no preference whether furniture is wood or polymer. If you have any other neat rifles that you would like to make an offer on I love just about any military Milsurp rifle besides Mosins and SKS's as I own a couple already. Any neat bolt action or semi could be considered. Any neat Lee Enfield rifles would be a trade that we could work out as that interests me too. Realistically if you have a gun that you would trade for the rifle, send me a text with photos and who knows the worst I could say is no thanks.

The price that I’ll start this rifle at is $800. I am willing to throw cash into a trade deal if it’s right. I have a great interest in AK74 Krink style rifles.

Sorry for the long post, as I am trying to get all the necessary information across IN ORDER TO CONTACT ME:

This ad IS CROSS POSTED.

RIFLE IS SOLD, Please close ad thank you.

Last edited by Slickstick55; May 20, 2019 at 11:21. Reason: SOLD
Slickstick55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 08:12   #2
Slickstick55
Registered

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7982.JPG (69.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7983.JPG (32.4 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7984.JPG (91.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7985.JPG (38.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7988.JPG (85.0 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by nwobhm; May 12, 2019 at 16:16.
Old April 10, 2019, 08:20   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
you really need to post some photos. There is a large value difference between a century import and a century manufactured receiver. You can e-mail them to me.

As a start, copy exactly what is written on the receiver.
Old April 10, 2019, 10:04   #4
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

CA prefix would be Post 1994 century manufactured receiver - no, I'm not going to text you.
Old April 10, 2019, 10:39   #5
Slickstick55
Registered

Jesus, tough crowd this morning. If you took the time to allow me to text you photos you would come to understand that the rifle is painted over with the battleworn red look as described above, thus making it tough to identify. Other FAL folks more experienced with the platform have stated that it is a STG58 kit by century. Trigger has a small C on it and the receiver can be made out to see a small little CA on it. Beyond that, tough to identify as I could not find the serial in the mag well (which I think is normally a spot for it?). Thanks for your time.
Old April 10, 2019, 10:42   #6
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
CA prefix would be a Century manufactured receiver. Upload pics to Imgur, then link them to your thread here. Then the whole board can help determine exactly what you have.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 10:45   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Why the heck would I text you?

I was trying to help you identify what you had.
Old April 10, 2019, 10:57   #8
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickstick55 View Post
Jesus, tough crowd this morning. If you took the time to allow me to text you photos you would come to understand that the rifle is painted over with the battleworn red look as described above, thus making it tough to identify. Other FAL folks more experienced with the platform have stated that it is a STG58 kit by century. Trigger has a small C on it and the receiver can be made out to see a small little CA on it. Beyond that, tough to identify as I could not find the serial in the mag well (which I think is normally a spot for it?). Thanks for your time.
You are getting advice from one of maybe 10 of the top knowledgable guys,on FALs,in the U.S.A. Be grateful. You wanna see tough? Get him talking about ORF receivers..
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 10:58   #9
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Per your pics, Century receiver, which hurts the value. Barrel has been cut, which hurts the value as well. If you pull the hand guards you can look for any proof marks to determine if it's the original Steyr barrel or a U.S. made one.

Have you shot it yet to see how it runs?

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 11:02   #10
Slickstick55
Registered

I am just going to continue replying to this, hope it doesn't get moderated. I attempted to take the handguards off as suggested by another interested buyer, but the damn screw/washer is stripped and spins freely. It is being taken to the range later this week to be fired, as I just received my shipment of ammo. I had already broken it down and cleaned and lubed it all up. I plan on updating my posts with info on the range session, I got about 200 rounds.
Old April 10, 2019, 11:08   #11
Gravelface1
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76927

Gravelface1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 12:08   #12
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
A-HA!

Looks like and STG Hinge Screw!
Orion the Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 12:43   #13
Slickstick55
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
You are getting advice from one of maybe 10 of the top knowledgable guys,on FALs,in the U.S.A. Be grateful. You wanna see tough? Get him talking about ORF receivers..
Strange this reply just popped up for some reason, I was just being sarcastic, I do appreciate everyone's assistance with identifying what this strange oddball rifle is and in the end just work a deal with someone that is interested. I was just frustrated because the photos really do explain why I could not identify it + FAL newbie first time to this rifle...if we could call it that. Thank you all.

Last edited by Slickstick55; April 10, 2019 at 14:05. Reason: P L A T F O R M
Old April 10, 2019, 13:11   #14
Tobias Took
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79463
Heh. I like the Punisher.
Tobias Took is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 22:17   #15
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 78557
looks like someone went a little crazy with the rattle can amigo, and the hesse and century made rcvrs serial numbers arent marked that deep do yourself a favor and spray some brake cleaner on a rag and clean off the right side of the magwel so you can read it. That will make ID a heck of a lot easier looks to me like it just has several layers of rattlecan sprayed on. Wouldnt be that hard to paint again.
"And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ".
--Good OL' TJ
crashmaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 06:56   #16
marktc223
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 77992
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaniac View Post
looks like someone went a little crazy with the rattle can amigo, and the hesse and century made rcvrs serial numbers arent marked that deep do yourself a favor and spray some brake cleaner on a rag and clean off the right side of the magwel so you can read it. That will make ID a heck of a lot easier looks to me like it just has several layers of rattlecan sprayed on. Wouldnt be that hard to paint again.
What he says
Strip all the paint off and you'll probably get more cash than the way it is painted now.
Old April 11, 2019, 13:34   #17
Slickstick55
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaniac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktc223 View Post
What he says
Strip all the paint off and you'll probably get more cash than the way it is painted now.
The strange part about the Magwell is that the internals are not painted red, so I am not sure whats obscuring the magwell, but I see on paint or SN.

I am hesitant to strip the paint down....as in a strange way the red look kinda makes the rifle look a little unique...in a "special" way. If you catch my drift. Also the P.O. went through the process of painting, baking, and finally fixing the look to give it that marred battleworn look. For the time being the rifle will remain red

PRICE DROP: $850
Old April 11, 2019, 13:57   #18
Garth223
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80918

The important information we seek is right there on the outside of the magwell. You will need to remove the paint in that area to find the serial number, I highy doubt any FFL will transfer it with the SN obscured like that.
Garth223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 14:00   #19
Slickstick55
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth223 View Post

The important information we seek is right there on the outside of the magwell. You will need to remove the paint in that area to find the serial number, I highy doubt any FFL will transfer it with the SN obscured like that.
Definitely correct about that, my question to you is should the SN also be on the inside of the Magwell? That was what I had read up, but maybe I read it incorrectly and it stated outside of magwell. Thanks.
Old April 11, 2019, 14:40   #20
Tom Preston
Registered

FALaholic #: 79792
Yes, no dealer will transfer it like that. In my state it's a crime to even possess a gun with the number obscured, maybe where you live it's different.

For your sake I hope there still is a maker and serial number still on there under the paint.
Tom Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 15:00   #21
Tobias Took
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Preston View Post
Yes, no dealer will transfer it like that.

Excellent point. I believe that in Illinois, even on a private sale the seller must keep a record of the transfer for 10 years that includes the S/N.

430 ILCS 65/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-3)

Sec. 3. (b) Any person within this State who transfers or causes to be transferred any firearm, stun gun, or taser shall keep a record of such transfer for a period of 10 years from the date of transfer. Such record shall contain the date of the transfer; the description, serial number or other information identifying the firearm, stun gun, or taser if no serial number is available;

Last edited by Tobias Took; April 11, 2019 at 15:07. Reason: found cite
Tobias Took is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 15:07   #22
Slickstick55
Registered

Numbers are definitely under the paint as you can see them, just needs to be stripped. Secondly, it is on the seller of the rifle to keep his record for 10 years, based on the ISP site (illinois state police) site that regulates private transfers.

Edit: I will remove receiver paint after the range trip

Last edited by Slickstick55; April 11, 2019 at 15:23.
Old April 11, 2019, 16:01   #23
Garth223
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80918
Quote:
Definitely correct about that, my question to you is should the SN also be on the inside of the Magwell? That was what I had read up, but maybe I read it incorrectly and it stated outside of magwell. Thanks.
Inner mag-well markings were done by FN after they got bitched at by the EU regulators for running concurrent serial number ranges between contracts, and maybe some other licensed manufacturers. US makers only do that by special request (if at all)
Garth223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 16:06   #24
kennesaw72
Registered

FALaholic #: 77452
Will someone text me please??!!
kennesaw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 16:06   #25
Slickstick55
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth223 View Post
Inner mag-well markings were done by FN after they got bitched at by the EU regulators for running concurrent serial number ranges between contracts, and maybe some other licensed manufacturers. US makers only do that by special request (if at all)
Thank you for that sir, you know I did read about that serial number debacle as well and you reminded me that it did apply to FN rifles.
Old April 11, 2019, 16:47   #26
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

FALaholic #: 75823
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennesaw72 View Post
Whatís your number?
Old April 11, 2019, 16:51   #27
bulldog896
Registered

FALaholic #: 7624
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennesaw72 View Post
Maybe but only if your cute and female
bulldog896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 17:30   #28
auggiedoggie
Registered

FALaholic #: 80476
[QUOTE=bulldog896;4723619]Maybe but only if your cute and female

I would if I had a phone.

https://imgur.com/HwpoO0L
auggiedoggie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2019, 07:40   #29
marktc223
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Under 18 U.S.C. 922(k)
and 26 U.S.C. 5861(g), it is unlawful for any person to possess or receive any firearm
which has had the serial number removed, obliterated, or altered.
Old April 13, 2019, 18:22   #30
Slickstick55
Registered

Have no fear, receiver is here! Paint was lightly stripped to reveal receiver markings and all that good stuff. I still need to completely finish the job and clean it up for photos. From what I can see itís an Ole Besse receiver. See what I did there.
Old April 15, 2019, 01:43   #31
Sirwaffle
Registered

FALaholic #: 82413
you need to make this rifle presentable if you want to sell its it pretty god awful, jesus wept tears for this sinner. it probably still has the phosphate coating on the gun so take some pure acetone and strip it off.
Sirwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 06:59   #32
brad8e
Registered

FALaholic #: 80320
That poor thing.
brad8e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 08:12   #33
bulldog896
Registered

Quote:
Under 18 U.S.C. 922(k)
and 26 U.S.C. 5861(g), it is unlawful for any person to possess or receive any firearm
which has had the serial number removed, obliterated, or altered.
Far from Obliterated.
Old April 15, 2019, 08:49   #34
Slickstick55
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog896 View Post
Far from Obliterated.
Yea these folks were losing their minds, its all there guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwaffle View Post
you need to make this rifle presentable if you want to sell its it pretty god awful, jesus wept tears for this sinner. it probably still has the phosphate coating on the gun so take some pure acetone and strip it off.
Well I have a question for everyone here, I've been offered a PSAK 47 GEN3 with the forged parts, 500 rounds of 762x49 for this FAL. I think I am just going to take the offer...but what do you all think. I am not too keen on American Ak's, yet it is receiving a lot of positive reviews.

Second question; I am super hesitant to strip the paint completely off this thing, as people are 50/50 on it. The FAL fiends hate it, while a large portion of normal people who don't own FALS like it....so I am not sure what to do.

IF someone wants to purchase this rifle BUT would like me to strip it down for them I can do that, but until then the rifle will remain in its current form. I would prefer to not mess with it until it is sold.

Once again thanks all for the help.

Last edited by Slickstick55; April 15, 2019 at 08:50. Reason: typo
Old April 15, 2019, 08:57   #35
marktc223
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog896 View Post
Far from Obliterated.
Webster's definition of Obliterate: to make undecipherable or imperceptible by obscuring or wearing away.
Old April 15, 2019, 09:19   #36
gwgn02
Registered

FALaholic #: 64584
Simply strip off the old paint with gel paint remover and a brush. The Century markings will still be there. Spray the rifle with some VHT black paint and it will be a whole lot more presentable.
gwgn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 09:35   #37
Slickstick55
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgn02 View Post
Simply strip off the old paint with gel paint remover and a brush. The Century markings will still be there. Spray the rifle with some VHT black paint and it will be a whole lot more presentable.
What I have been using is Citristrip Gel paint stripper, I saw someone using it online and thought I would use it. It seems to be working really well, I just have to get around to finishing the little receiver.

Once again, debating against stripping it or not. Beating my head against a wall.

Anyone care to weigh in on the PSAK gen 3 trade with ammo. I'm kinda inclined to just do it to get rid of this thing, but idk.
Old April 15, 2019, 10:00   #38
wilson180
Registered

FALaholic #: 80897
I would make the trade. I think it would be the fastest and easiest way to get rid of the rifle.
wilson180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 10:11   #39
Vaughn L. Allen
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 26532
Looks like my Century STG58 on a Hesse receiver. The lettering pattern matches mine as does the general look of it.

Mine has had a couple thousand rounds through it without a problem. The accuracy is about 3 to 4 moa... Not bad for a FAL.

(To such heights of evil are men driven by religion)
Vaughn L. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 10:19   #40
marktc223
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
What I have been using is Citristrip Gel paint stripper, I saw someone using it online and thought I would use it. It seems to be working really well, I just have to get around to finishing the little receiver.
Once again, debating against stripping it or not. Beating my head against a wall.
Anyone care to weigh in on the PSAK gen 3 trade with ammo. I'm kinda inclined to just do it to get rid of this thing, but idk.
Please post pic of receiver right mag well once you have uncovered the manufacturer, model and s/n (at your discretion).
Old April 15, 2019, 10:41   #41
Slickstick55
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughn L. Allen View Post
Looks like my Century STG58 on a Hesse receiver. The lettering pattern matches mine as does the general look of it.

Mine has had a couple thousand rounds through it without a problem. The accuracy is about 3 to 4 moa... Not bad for a FAL.

I was told that it is a STG58 as well, which from what I know was a pretty good standard of FAL kit then we have the dicey Hesse receiver.

Quote:
Please post pic of receiver right mag well once you have uncovered the manufacturer, model and s/n (at your discretion).
Will do when the process is all complete.

ACCEPTING reasonable offers. Kum 1 Kum all.
Old April 15, 2019, 11:41   #42
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
this has to be the dumbest wts yet
munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 13:04   #43
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchoman View Post
This.
Old April 15, 2019, 13:11   #44
Slickstick55
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchoman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
This.
Thank you for the bumps yall, really saving me here.
Old April 16, 2019, 09:00   #45
bulldog896
Registered

Quote:
Webster's definition of Obliterate: to make undecipherable or imperceptible by obscuring or wearing away.
ATF's definition is the wearing away part. Obscuring can be as simple as a piece of the stock covering it or camo tape wrapped around the gun.
Old April 16, 2019, 10:38   #46
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Lipstick on a pig?

Gotta get the SN observable, besides being a T3, not much more can be seen.
Old April 16, 2019, 11:48   #47
Slickstick55
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolero1911 View Post
Lipstick on a pig?

Gotta get the SN observable, besides being a T3, not much more can be seen.
I am so close to finishing up the cleaning process, I have just been stupid busy with work.

What is a T3? I'm thinking of taking the PSAK Gen3 trade....but I am going to the range on thursday with this rifle FOR SURE. If it functions fine I may keep it...just for the hell of it since I don't own a .308 battle rifle, but we will see.
Old April 16, 2019, 12:32   #48
marktc223
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
What is a T3?
Type 3 receiver.
Old April 16, 2019, 13:47   #49
firedog