Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old April 14, 2019, 20:33   #1
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Lubing a .22 bolt rifle

What would you suggest to lube the bolt in a, well, .22 bolt gun for normal working conditions? Light oil? Wheel bearing grease? Transmission fluid? Graphite spray? Sperm Whale Oil? The Tactical Operator goo du jour?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019, 21:28   #2
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
My only bolt action .22lr rifle is an Anschutz Model 54 Sporter. The bolt and receiver are machined to tight tolerances. So any kind of heavy lubricant such as grease isn't suitable. I use BreakFree CLP on the bolt. A light coat applied with a clean medium sized cotton cleaning patch.

Now a .22lr rifle with looser tolerances can have the bolt lubed with a good quality gun grease. I use RIG Stainless +P for my other rifles. This grease was originally marketed for stainless steel rifles and handguns to prevent galling. Also for semi auto and full auto firearms. A light coat of it works quite well on the bolt of my stainless Ruger 10/22 sporter.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019, 22:38   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Spit...
Old April 15, 2019, 06:37   #4
Bladeswitcher
Registered

FALaholic #: 18927
CLP, Remoil, 3-in-1, your grandmother's sewing machine oil, a drop or two of motor oil from your car's dipstick . . . it really doesn't matter.
Bladeswitcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 07:10   #5
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeswitcher View Post
CLP, Remoil, 3-in-1, your grandmother's sewing machine oil, a drop or two of motor oil from your car's dipstick . . . it really doesn't matter.
This +1.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic for virtually all situations that call for oil. All the big buck speialty lubes are simply not required. After all, the operating environment in your engine is infinitely tougher than anything occurring in a firearms, especially .22s.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 09:40   #6
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
This +1.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic for virtually all situations that call for oil. All the big buck speialty lubes are simply not required. After all, the operating environment in your engine is infinitely tougher than anything occurring in a firearms, especially .22s.
Pretty much this right here.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 15:12   #7
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
One afternoon at my club range a pal of mine decided that his Inglis High Power needed to be lubed before beginning a 100 round range session....

I carry a small bottle of CLP in my range bag and offered it to him. Instead he popped the hood of his automobile and pulled out the dipstick. He ran his fore finger the length of the dipstick and then used the dirty black oil to lube the frame rails of the Inglis. I just stood there not believing what I had just saw. But no comment from me was forth coming. It was his pistol after all.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 15:32   #8
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
One afternoon at my club range a pal of mine decided that his Inglis High Power needed to be lubed before beginning a 100 round range session....

I carry a small bottle of CLP in my range bag and offered it to him. Instead he popped the hood of his automobile and pulled out the dipstick. He ran his fore finger the length of the dipstick and then used the dirty black oil to lube the frame rails of the Inglis. I just stood there not believing what I had just saw. But no comment from me was forth coming. It was his pistol after all.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
I have lubed the bolt on my Uzi with power steering fluid, dripped off the dipstick, as a "field expedient" method. But that oil was pretty clean. I wouldn't use dirty motor oil though. ymmv.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 16:02   #9
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post

And so it goes.

The Retired One
It's probably not as bad as we think - worst part is probably the acidic nature of old used motor oil if not cleaned off fairly quickly. Still, you kindly offerred a preferable option, and he plays the McGuiver role.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 16:14   #10
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
i used the oil that came with my cleaning kit.

Ive used many things that came out for guns too. I dont my testing/trying different things, so its what i do and what my guns get.

imo, i think something is better than nothing. Its not just for lube, but for corrosion protection - up to a point.

Ive used some of the gun grease on the surfaces too.

but in general what i do now, is that i have an oily cloth. And i will add old to the bolt and wipe it down with the oily cloth. same with all of the other parts and stock.
toys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019, 15:35   #11
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Quote:
Originally Posted by toys View Post
but in general what i do now, is that i have an oily cloth. And i will add old to the bolt and wipe it down with the oily cloth. same with all of the other parts and stock.
I'd go with that.

The exterior of a manual turnbolt doesnt have to be lubed heavily. Especially a .22 LR. Just protect the surfaces from corrosion. You could cycle that bolt 500,000 times and you wouldn't see 0.0003 wear on any surfaces. A drop or two of oil on the firing pin and spring to reduce wear and stresses is where you want lube.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; April 16, 2019 at 19:15.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2019, 13:15   #12
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Cleaned my 72 Winchester again today and coated bolt and the springs with Hoppes gun oil then wiped the surface down with a silicone rag. Over the years just plain old gun oil is all the lubrication and preservative the bolt guns have needed, nothing moves fast and hard like a semi auto.