Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Class III Files

Notices

Old April 12, 2018, 17:52   #1
AZ Dave
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7882
Suppressor question please.

I've been waiting for the hearing protection act to be enacted but I'm loosing my patience. I'd like a can that can be used for 22, 9mm and maybe 300 blackout. I've thought about building my own with a "kit" available on the internet or just buying one outright. I have some cash to blow. I just want a good, quiet can as cheap as possible but don't mind throwing some cash out there. Please reply with any advice you have as far as brands, models or D.I.Y. Thanks FAL Brothers!
Old April 12, 2018, 18:53   #2
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
hpa is dead.

Paul ryan made sure of that.

Check out liberty cans. They have one that is compatible with a bunch of different calibers.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018, 18:56   #3
Tikiman001
Registered

FALaholic #: 72392
My recommendation is to have separate suppressors for rimfire and centerfire.

For 22LR I went with the Silencerco (formally SWR) Spectre II as it is readily serviceable.

If you only want to shoot subsonic 300 blackout, then a pistol can like the Silencerco Octane 9 or Octane 45 would meet your current needs ( I went with the Octane 45).
Tikiman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018, 20:42   #4
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Buy once, Cry once. Get one of the Griffin Optimus multi caliber cans. .22 up to .300 Win Mag. Video is a little old. They are out there. A friend of mine has one. He loves it.
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018, 20:49   #5
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
^ SWEET
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018, 22:43   #6
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I have the Griffin Armament Alpha with the 30 and 22 cal end caps. Handles all rifles from .22 LR up to 300 Win Mag. Best of all you can completely disassemble it for cleaning, weighs only 14.5 oz clean, everything fits handily in the carrying pack. It is now called the Paladin.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018, 12:38   #7
yarro
Registered

FALaholic #: 28278
My first can was a .308 can. Thought it did fine with .223, but once I bought a dedicated .223, I realized that I was mistaken. The bigger the baffle holes are in relation to the bullet diameter the less efficient the suppressor is. I now have several. Buy what you will use the most first. I had the advantage of driving by Silencer Shop every day and could stop by and talk with them and other customers. Lot more brands now.

I really like the Dead Air centerfire cans and my friend loves his SIG. I don't own one, but if I was to start fresh, I would buy Dead Air. My Spectre II is a great .22LR suppressor. Also have a AAC Mist 10/22 integral that is excellent. I have a discontinued AAC Evolution 9mm can on my 9mm SMG and it does well. Also like my TI-rant .45, which I use on a 1911 or bolt-action .45acp. My rifle cans are SDN-556, SDN762, and a M4-2000. All of the quality centerfire rifle cans are within 2-3 db of each other, but sometimes that quieter can db wise does not sound as quiet to your ear. The only suppressor I shoot on handguns regularly is the .22LR can. Otherwise they just seem too unwieldy so I might as well shoot a suppressed SMG, SBR, or rifle instead. Cheap suppressors are cheap suppressors. Buy somewhere in the middle of the price range and you will be happy. Always hunt on the internet for customer service stories before buying and only buy from established makers.

Rifle cans get really hot fast. I can dump 30 rounds of 9mm through my Evo and touch the can. 30 rounds through my M4-2000 would result in leaving skin on the can. QD cans with a muzzle break QD attachment extend the life of the first baffle in the can. Stellite and Inconel baffles in rifle cans will last longer than other materials. Weight is a trade off. Light baffles erode faster than heavier ones of the same material. Never buy a rimfire suppressor that does not disassemble and clean it when the manual says to. POI shift really depends on how stiff your barrel is on a rifle, harmonics, and what load you are shooting. Screw on cans with symetrical baffles are usually more accurate. Everyone I know who runs centerfire cans on pistols says they get POI shift. Shooting bullets with exposed lead bases, deposits lead in the can. Do not scrub TI or aluminum baffles with a wire brush. If you wear through the anodizing, the baffles erode fast.

Anyway that covers my experiences. I am happy with my choice to suppress my guns.

-yarro
Old April 15, 2018, 19:48   #8
Tikiman001
Registered

FALaholic #: 72392
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarro View Post
My first can was a .308 can. Thought it did fine with .223, but once I bought a dedicated .223, I realized that I was mistaken. The bigger the baffle holes are in relation to the bullet diameter the less efficient the suppressor is. I now have several.
-yarro
This is a big compromise you have to deal with if only buying 1 or 2 cans.

Now in the case of .308 vs .223, often the .308 can is larger than a typical .223 can, so it will still suppress well, but it won't suppress as well as a purpose built .223 can of the same size.

Some suppressors have swappable end caps with varying exit diameters, which helps, but you will end up just buying suppressors for every host...
Tikiman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018, 08:57   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I have a smattering of all types. Have a pair of .223 cans but are small and not as quiet as my big 30 caliber multicaliber cans. Have a pair of AAC Hybrids that if put the 22 caliber end cap in are super quiet. Have one on a 7mm Practical now and know of one guy with same can on 460 Weatherby Mag and another with it on a 458 Rem Mag and can is only rated to 45/70. My favorite pistol cans are Ospreys, have a 9 and a 45, they are almost half volume if run wet opposed to dry.

Basically the bigger the hole in the can with a smaller projectile more tolerant rifle will be but on my cans can choose end cap size not huge difference in dB level between223 and 30 caliber end cap. Happy with my 30 caliber quick change cans on smaller cartridges and if using supersonic ammo can't tell significant sound pressure difference as tone can affect way it sounds from distance as dB level. A nice low tone can is less oppressive than a higher tone.

One thing have learned is 30 caliber quick change cans can be snapped on 5.56 or 6.8 and other sub 7mm calibers and run without making adjustment to gas system without hurting rifle unless run it really hard and long. On 223/5.56 can run binary mag dumps with my AAC 762SDN-6's without gas adjustment. Snap it on a 6.8 and will run but if start mag dumping can tell rifle really needs gas reduced. Am running my 762SDN's and 762SDN-6's on everything from rimfire to 7.62 NATO, if put on FAL without swapping in a modified gas plug will hit hard and bend the rims on brass and can tell rifle will not tolerate long. On an M1a if don't add adjustible gas and turn it down might bend op rod first round.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018, 15:03   #10
Capt D
Farkin' Sneekee Bastitch
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
...or, you can snap up an OSS .308 and 5.56, both of which mount to the same device, and not worry about that silly back-pressure problem...just don't mix the two up...

https://www.botach.com/oss-helix-ifm...e-compensator/
COBC #66
‘Need’ now means wanting someone else’s money. ‘Greed’ means wanting to keep your own. ‘Compassion’ is when a politician arranges the transfer. --J. Sobran
Capt D is online now   Reply With Quote