Notices

Old February 18, 2018, 08:03   #1
FrJH
Registered

FALaholic #: 78961
Location: Nancy/France - Looking for informations for my SA58
New DSA SA58 Para 11" and encountered problems

Hello,

I bought last year a DSA SA58 Para 13". I removed the soldered flash hider and I changed it by a customized one after having cut it of 1" inch to make a new thread. The thread used by DSA is not common in Europe. I added a picatinny handguard and a mount scope on it. For your information a brand new SA58 in France is 4200€ + 700€ for the handguard and the mount scope.

Since the beginning I have problems, the most common one is I have jams, despite the gas system setting. Impossible to shot a complete magazine.

I shot 200 / 300 rounds for now and the other problem is that the ammos don't chamber properly. First, two out of three when I engage the magazine ( original SA or FN ) the ammo " lift up " :

( The bolt wasn't present in the rifle )

The other problem is when the ammo doesn't lift up, it doesn't chamber, the head of the ammo is blocked against the beginning of the chamber, you can see the 2 spots here :

The original magazine is on the left and the two FNs are on the right :

Last problem is my extracteur " broke " and I had to replace it by an original FN extractor :

The problem is the following : When the gas system is too permissiv the rifle doesn't work properly, but when I close it, the pression is too high and the extractor is ejected ( the bolt doesn't have any sign of failure ).

My questions are :

- Can I use a dremel to modify the chamber so the heads of ammos don't block against but are righlty directed ?
- How can I solve my problem of " lifted up " ammo ?
- How can I solve my problem of gas system ? Is there any existing bolt spring for SBR Fals ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by FrJH; February 18, 2018 at 14:09.
FrJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018, 11:54   #2
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Welcome!

The problems you've encountered have everything to do with the lack of available gas pressure to function the rifle....and the reason DSA doesn't build them shorter than 13".

When you removed that 2" of barrel, you effectively diminished the available gas pressure by about 66%. And adding that Gawd awful blast enhancer up front only compounded the problem. Damn near all your gas pressure is going out the barrel. I'm surprised the carrier even moves at all.

The amount of time a bullet stays in the barrel Past, the gas block/port is referred to as "Dwell time". The bullet being in the barrel After the port has everything to do with the amount of gas pressure to Push back on the gas piston to function the action. Again, when you cut the barrel, and added the muzzle device, you killed the performance.

I don't recall the gas port size DSA uses for that front end, but you can try opening it a bit to see if that helps. Be advised that enlarging the port past .120 is NOT a good idea.

Changing that blast enhancer for something longer to help keep more pressure in the barrel would be where I would start first. I know its not the Look your going for, but at least the rifle may actually function...Good luck.

And for GOD sakes, put down the damn Dremel! Your only compounding the issue.
Old February 18, 2018, 12:38   #3
FrJH
Registered

FALaholic #: 78961
Location: Nancy/France - Looking for informations for my SA58
Thank you for your reply. My gunsmith was ok with this modification ( ahem ... ).

The best is to get a new barrel.

The following custom is nice :

Do I need just this :

https://www.dsarms.com/p-15398-dsa-f...-included.aspx

And replace the old one ?

Just for me, how a very short SA58 work ?

https://www.dsarms.com/p-16853-dsa-f...-included.aspx

Edit : Anyway, it doesn't tell me why even a dry loading fails.

Last edited by FrJH; February 18, 2018 at 12:45.
FrJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018, 12:53   #4
Stu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1155
Bonjour FrJH! Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Good question. I don't know how that 11 inch bbl (pistol/sbr) one works with the dwell time so low. I do know that I don't want to be beside that beast when a round is fired though.

I suspect that the loss of that 1 inch really changed the dynamic and the brake you picked means the pressure drops immediately (as opposed to some of the other original devices that might keep the pressure up just a bit longer). I'll bet that the few rounds you have fired were a "blast"! My teeth hurt just thinking about it. How much bbl is there after the gas block/port? Is there even 2 inches?

Tell us about the rules in France. You can own a semi with detachable mag (20 rounds), folding stock and 13" bbl? Special permits? Permissions?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018, 13:19   #5
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I wonder of a linear compensator like a Noveske KX-3 (hell, what about a suppressor) would add enough back pressure to provide the additional gas volume required for function.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018, 13:59   #6
Stu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrJH View Post
Thank you for your reply. My gunsmith was ok with this modification ( ahem ... ).

The best is to get a new barrel.

The following custom is nice :

Do I need just this :

https://www.dsarms.com/p-15398-dsa-f...-included.aspx

And replace the old one ?

Just for me, how a very short SA58 work ?

https://www.dsarms.com/p-16853-dsa-f...-included.aspx

Edit : Anyway, it doesn't tell me why even a dry loading fails.
Even with a pistol length piston, it amazes me they can get those to cycle.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018, 14:06   #7
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I wonder of a linear compensator like a Noveske KX-3 (hell, what about a suppressor) would add enough back pressure to provide the additional gas volume required for function.

thats a tough call, he already chopped the original threads from the muzzle making it even shorter, if he would have gone w/ the Noveske KX-3 Flaming Pig or the PWS CQB right away he might have got it to function, your suggestion of a suppressor may be his only route otherwise he should just have a 16" barrel installed and get back on track

I have both the Noveske KX-3 Flaming Pig on a PWS MK109 (9" barrel) chambered in .300 blackout and also the PWS CQB on a PWS MK107 Diablo (7.5" barrel) chambered in 5.56 Nato both do a good job of keeping enough pressure to ensure full function

and for the OP, welcome, we are always glad to hear from across the pond in Europe, its good to hear that some there are not afraid to own guns
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018, 17:04   #8
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
If you have access to a silencer give one a try, for several reasons. It will tame the blast the brake is likely providing, does just as good of a job of flash control, but will likely help your dwell issue by holding pressure longer and allowing a better stroke.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018, 18:39   #9
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
You might want to PM member PACO and see if he can provide you with a real FN barrel source. He lives up the road from you in Belgium. Definitely closer and faster than anything from the U.S.A. And you may be able to go and look it over before purchase.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018, 07:26   #10
Rudolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 7
df

I recommend working on the gas port hole. I think.. gunplumber has some exact measurements but I am not entirely sure for something like an 11 inch.
Rudolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018, 08:20   #11
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I would certainly go with the 13" barrel instead of the 11" Even if that means you have to buy a 16" and shorten it yourself.