Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old April 18, 2017, 09:25   #451
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
Oh man!! You just gave me an idea for my vintage match!!
Maybe I missed some or all of the posts, but do you have a date/place set for this? I'm close to Charlotte.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 09:38   #452
beseventeen
Registered

FALaholic #: 75901
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Maybe I missed some or all of the posts, but do you have a date/place set for this? I'm close to Charlotte.

Not yet, I'm still working on approval from the board but I think I should have it within the next month. It will be in early fall at the PHA Range in Linville.
beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 09:59   #453
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Please! I'm not that young and you are not that old!
Ignores bait...

Quote:
I also meant to ask, if Hill is lurking somewhere, I want to see the pics he took with his nice camera!
Hill dropped off a pen-drive for me at work yesterday, hopefully I can edit and post some pics tonight.

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 10:06   #454
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
This is another vote 'Yes' for a repeat of the Blackhawk Down stage.

Hey, Stimpy -

What about a bunch of steel that doesn't fall down at all, but gives the visual/audio 'cues' for being hit? And then all we have to do is go down and paint the one grey bullet strike on each plate...

I'm thinking plates, gongs, 'c' zone silhouettes like what Nuttz brung, and whatever else all on chains and various stands. And the square steel on tire sections + 4x4s don't have to change at all.

Three guys and/or gals walk down with a spray can of white. Done in three minutes.

Just thinking of some of the changes I want to make for the Oregon thing in June. I'm "hosting" the mini-3-gun event on Friday evening. I don't want to tape cardboard, or score it, or re-set anything. And everyone loves steel. So I'm thinking 'hangers' and white paint.
Someone would still have to call hits, and that would get messy.

I also want to stage these plates at various ranges if possible, with requirements to engage them from closest to farthest.

I am wondering if it would be as simple as just drilling horizontal holes through the existing cross bars on the plate racks we have and then hanging the plates just barely on the same yard spikes through those holes. I suspect the 308 has enough oomph to remove the current plate/tire combo off the back of that.

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

Old April 18, 2017, 10:23   #455
tdb59
not really a gun guy
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
A quick scribble of the rifle targets used at S.O.F.

8 inch round steel plate, sitting on a section of 6 inch well casing with a rebar rear support attached.

Simple to build, and can be placed on any level surface.

Matthew 5:16
tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 10:26   #456
Louis
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 72519
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post

I also want to stage these plates at various ranges if possible, with requirements to engage them from closest to farthest.

I am wondering if it would be as simple as just drilling horizontal holes through the existing cross bars on the plate racks we have and then hanging the plates just barely on the same yard spikes through those holes. I suspect the 308 has enough oomph to remove the current plate/tire combo off the back of that.
I reached out to some friends and I MAY be able to provide 40 or so steel silhouette targets that will drop and reset. Will know by end of day. Could help a little.
Louis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 10:46   #457
beseventeen
Registered

Quote:

Hill dropped off a pen-drive for me at work yesterday, hopefully I can edit and post some pics tonight.

Yay! I hope he got my fingernails. All I have is a crappy cell phone pic of them the night before
Old April 18, 2017, 10:57   #458
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Yay! I hope he got my fingernails. All I have is a crappy cell phone pic of them the night before
...said no one at a FAL Match ever before.

I may promise to never bug Louis again about Star Wars if he brings 40 targets next year!

And I love that target idea, Terry. I take it the well casing can take multiple hits from a rifle without any effect (unlike typical target stands)? Is hitting the casing enough to knock the target down, or is it more stable than that?
Old April 18, 2017, 11:18   #459
tdb59
not really a gun guy
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post

I may promise to never bug Louis again about Star Wars if he brings 40 targets next year!

And I love that target idea, Terry. I take it the well casing can take multiple hits from a rifle without any effect (unlike typical target stands)? Is hitting the casing enough to knock the target down, or is it more stable than that?
I wish that I could claim this design as my own.

Lyle Wyatt, Michael Horne, Al Newell, Mike Waidelich, Chris Comer, et al deserve the honor and gratitude. Without them, 3 gun would still be an infant.

A hit anywhere with rifle rounds will " disassemble " the target. A hit on the base tends to cause the plate to fall forward.

The base can take multiple hits okay, depending on wall thickness, distance, et cetera. That said, having more bases available would be prudent. Especially with 30 cal shooters.

Also, this style target keeps spall and ricochets to a minimum, and are easy to reset.

Matthew 5:16
tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 11:29   #460
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Terry,

Thanks, but suffers from the same 'got shot low' problems as the older plates and stands I currently have access to.

Old April 18, 2017, 11:31   #461
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I reached out to some friends and I MAY be able to provide 40 or so steel silhouette targets that will drop and reset. Will know by end of day. Could help a little.
Interesting development.

I assume these are loaners, yes, and subject to you being present. I prefer to have the targets be mine and not loaners for various reasons.

Old April 18, 2017, 12:30   #462
Otis Treekiller
Registered

FALaholic #: 21060
Quote:
Those did not go unnoticed; of course, at this match most fingernails are distinctive according to how much dirt/carbon fouling/blood has accumulated under them at the end of the day.

Harry Cooper was right!
Otis Treekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 12:35   #463
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Interesting development.

I assume these are loaners, yes, and subject to you being present. I prefer to have the targets be mine and not loaners for various reasons.
Yes, they would be on loan. Not uncommon, these targets travel a lot. The company may be willing to sponsor. Just waiting for a little commo back my way.
Old April 18, 2017, 12:45   #464
hagar
Registered

[QUOTE=beseventeen;4407498]That gun case was awesome!!

I used it for the high power side. It wasn't permitted in action.

Here's my run. GrowlerGator didn't get the targets in view but you can still hear the hits being called. First time ever shooting a rifle left handed, loooool. I was pretty tired in the end hence the horrible lean, trying to brace. But I shot the stage clean so I guess it didn't matter too much what it looked like!

QUOTE]

You did pretty awesome!

First time lefty for me as well! I was actually pretty happy with my left handed shooting, did not miss a shot. I knew my left eye can see the sights better than my right, but I have absolutely refused to even try and switch over.

Stimp, sorry I missed your party, as I always enjoy that and hanging out with everybody. My post traumatic stress from my accident kicked in, and it was starting to totally freak me out. I now have a small inkling of why soldiers suffer from it so much. I just started getting a jumble of emotions and an extreme feeling of anxiety. If I had to live with something like this every day I would not be a happy camper.
Old April 18, 2017, 19:02   #465
beseventeen
Registered

Quote:
I'll do yours next year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Treekiller View Post
Those did not go unnoticed; of course, at this match most fingernails are distinctive according to how much dirt/carbon fouling/blood has accumulated under them at the end of the day.
Lol same. They were pretty rough after a day of shooting and being outside. But that's OK, they served their purpose! The funny thing is I almost never paint my nails otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post

You did pretty awesome!

First time lefty for me as well! I was actually pretty happy with my left handed shooting, did not miss a shot. I knew my left eye can see the sights better than my right, but I have absolutely refused to even try and switch over.

Well I am glad I'm not the only one who had never practiced that before! I'm sorry to hear about your accident too that is a shitty deal on a vacay weekend!
Old April 18, 2017, 19:45   #466
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:

No, someone wouldn't. That's exactly my point - no scoring zones, no taping targets, etc. Either they hit it, or they didn't. And it's up to each to know/verify/confirm (with another shot) or not.

And then the three people go down and paint. And any target that doesn't have a grey, half-inch splash on it is 'one down' or whatever.

Painter #1 calls three no-hits
Painter #2 calls zero no-hits
Painter #3 calls one no-hit

and then they paint. Less than three minutes, total.

And the shooter gets his time and his number of "Targets Neutralized" (because we all know that one hit from the mighty .30 cal is target neutralizing...).

This accomplishes what you want, and speeds up re-setting (no re-setting) by a mile. And makes your shooters responsible for getting their hits.

Just a suggestion.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 19:51   #467
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
No, someone wouldn't. That's exactly my point - no scoring zones, no taping targets, etc. Either they hit it, or they didn't. And it's up to each to know/verify/confirm (with another shot) or not.

And then the three people go down and paint. And any target that doesn't have a grey, half-inch splash on it is 'one down' or whatever.

Painter #1 calls three no-hits
Painter #2 calls zero no-hits
Painter #3 calls one no-hit

and then they paint. Less than three minutes, total.

And the shooter gets his time and his number of "Targets Neutralized" (because we all know that one hit from the mighty .30 cal is target neutralizing...).

This accomplishes what you want, and speeds up re-setting (no re-setting) by a mile. And makes your shooters responsible for getting their hits.

Just a suggestion.
I like that OK, but it is essentially paper plates except they can probably hear the hits. I'll think about it if my other ideas fail.

Old April 18, 2017, 19:53   #468
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Old April 18, 2017, 20:33   #469
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Terry,

Thanks, but suffers from the same 'got shot low' problems as the older plates and stands I currently have access to.

They used these at Soldier of Fortune for ten years. 240 shooters per weekend.

I think the way they use these targets is that the plate *and* the base are the target. If you look at the "silhouette" that is presented, it's like a head and neck.

So there is no "shot low" - you either hit the dirt (no hit = no target disturbance), or you hit the plate/neck and the thing tips over. Reset is nothing more than setting round plate in the pipe section that has the rebar support welded to it.

I'm going to make some of these for our match. I'll send you a video, Bruce.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

Old April 18, 2017, 20:53   #470
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Stimpy, what about layering two (or more) shorter strips of the gaitor tails to the plates. Then mount the rubber on the bottom to a frame. Solid hit with steel causes it to move backwards significantly. Hit to rubber has only slight movement. Experimentation with length and number of layers could give you a pepper popper type target with the steel at the vertical or slightly inclined toward the shooter. When hit, the steel "falls" backward to a rearward slant. Resetting would be to rotate them back to forward. I'm thinking that a slightly longer front strip would act as a stop for the forward cant and allow more "fall" before stopping it. I am thinking about an inch difference in length would do it.

Matt break out your gee whiz engineering skills and see if I am close to a solution of way out in left field.

Something like this (forget the dimensions):

Where the gray portion is the plate and the white portion is the rubber mounted to a flat base.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 21:11   #471
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Stimpy, what about layering two (or more) shorter strips of the gaitor tails to the plates. Then mount the rubber on the bottom to a frame. Solid hit with steel causes it to move backwards significantly. Hit to rubber has only slight movement. Experimentation with length and number of layers could give you a pepper popper type target with the steel at the vertical or slightly inclined toward the shooter. When hit, the steel "falls" backward to a rearward slant. Resetting would be to rotate them back to forward. I'm thinking that a slightly longer front strip would act as a stop for the forward cant and allow more "fall" before stopping it. I am thinking about an inch difference in length would do it.

Matt break out your gee whiz engineering skills and see if I am close to a solution of way out in left field.

Something like this (forget the dimensions):

Where the gray portion is the plate and the white portion is the rubber mounted to a flat base.
Ever cut up tires before?

I appreciate the ideas, but I am trying to use the same tire/plate combos I already have before I go fabricating 'from scratch' targets.

Old April 18, 2017, 21:41   #472
kotengu
Registered

Hill - if you're out there my wife wants to know more about your cameras. Those pics turned out great!
Old April 18, 2017, 22:06   #473
Hrot
Registered

FALaholic #: 63633
Hey all - Stimpy has all the pics I snapped during the day, and is much more familiar with the workings of the Files than I am.

Both cameras are ancient pro level Nikon bodies, from about eight to ten years ago - D2Hs bodies to be precise. I kept most of my lenses after being a semi pro photojournalist about fifteen years ago, and am getting back into image making slowly. But it's still fun to document events and people. I apologize if I missed anyone's run, I was and am a bit frazzled. :-)

It was good to see everyone again, and a great big thank you to Stimpy and family for organizing this event year after year.

-Hill
Hrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 22:27   #474
jcornss
Registered

FALaholic #: 37954
Quote:
Ever cut up tires before?
I have! It sucks donkey balls.
jcornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 22:45   #475
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

^

This.

Old April 19, 2017, 06:19   #476
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrot View Post
Hey all - Stimpy has all the pics I snapped during the day, and is much more familiar with the workings of the Files than I am.

Both cameras are ancient pro level Nikon bodies, from about eight to ten years ago - D2Hs bodies to be precise. I kept most of my lenses after being a semi pro photojournalist about fifteen years ago, and am getting back into image making slowly. But it's still fun to document events and people. I apologize if I missed anyone's run, I was and am a bit frazzled. :-)

It was good to see everyone again, and a great big thank you to Stimpy and family for organizing this event year after year.

-Hill
Thanks man - good stuff, and always good to see you and shoot with you!
Old April 19, 2017, 08:00   #477
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Matt, can you post my run?

Also, anyone that wants pics Hill shot, I can see if there are any of you in the mix.

Old April 19, 2017, 08:35   #478
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Matt, can you post my run?
Sure - but it'll be a couple days before I'm back where I can. Bonk me if I forget.
Old April 19, 2017, 08:44   #479
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Also, anyone that wants pics Hill shot, I can see if there are any of you in the mix.
Whatcha got?
Old April 19, 2017, 08:51   #480
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

TAC, just delivered the plaque to Julie, she loved it and wanted to thank all involved in remembering Mike.

She also said she wanted to come to the matches, which I guess I had forgotten, so someone please try to remind me to send her the date when I post it for next year's match.

Old April 19, 2017, 09:47   #481
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
TAC, just delivered the plaque to Julie, she loved it and wanted to thank all involved in remembering Mike.

She also said she wanted to come to the matches, which I guess I had forgotten, so someone please try to remind me to send her the date when I post it for next year's match.
Outstanding! I'm always conflicted between wanting to reach out to her, and wanting to try to let her get on with her life. If she is willing to come it'd be great to have her!
Old April 19, 2017, 09:49   #482
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
I dunno how many there are, but Lisa didn't find doing a bulk upload of all her Run N Gun pics to Flickr to be too bad. Then everyone could look through and see whatever they like.
Old April 19, 2017, 11:01   #483
HelluvaEngineer
Registered

FALaholic #: 4440
More pics (if this host works)

Trying again with a couple of photos.
http://imgur.com/vngpgzn
http://imgur.com/r5BVIfa
http://imgur.com/vlgmBIl
http://imgur.com/VFqQjFQ
http://imgur.com/lNBuNYh

Well...looks like that worked as well as last time. Here's a link instead.
http://imgur.com/a/kVdPF

Last edited by HelluvaEngineer; April 21, 2017 at 08:39.
HelluvaEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017, 11:43   #484
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Quote:
...Also, anyone that wants pics Hill shot, I can see if there are any of you in the mix.
Yes please! Thank you!
Old April 19, 2017, 13:15   #485
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I dunno how many there are, but Lisa didn't find doing a bulk upload of all her Run N Gun pics to Flickr to be too bad. Then everyone could look through and see whatever they like.
I don't have a image hosting account, and don't really want one.

Old April 19, 2017, 14:25   #486
hagar
Registered

Quote:
Same here, I gave up on Photosucket and the like, store my pictures on Facebook so only I can see them there, but when I post the links they are visible to everyone.
Old April 19, 2017, 16:41   #487
jcornss
Registered

FALaholic #: 37954
Feel free to post my pics if there are any.
jcornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017, 19:20   #488
HelluvaEngineer
Registered

Quote:
I have a Bluehost account. If it would be beneficial I can provide FTP access to a folder on there. I don't think I have a bandwidth limit.

I should have specified that someone else would need to upload photos/videos and handle links, etc. That's my business account for wegotcode.com, etc. That person needs to know what they are doing.

Last edited by HelluvaEngineer; April 19, 2017 at 19:25.
HelluvaEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017, 20:30   #489
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
appreciate the ideas, but I am trying to use the same tire/plate combos I already have before I go fabricating 'from scratch' targets.
Stimpy, sorry for not being clearer in my description and poor graphics. The plate setup almost the same as you have now, just two (or more) gator tails (think adding your spares) on what you have already, Instead of hanging them on an A frame, turn them upside down and bolt the rubber to a flat base frame.

Think what you already use but upside down:

[IMG][/IMG]

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.

Last edited by tac-40; April 19, 2017 at 20:49.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 05:01   #490
beseventeen
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelluvaEngineer View Post
I have a Bluehost account. If it would be beneficial I can provide FTP access to a folder on there. I don't think I have a bandwidth limit.

I should have specified that someone else would need to upload photos/videos and handle links, etc. That's my business account for wegotcode.com, etc. That person needs to know what they are doing.
If someone can get me the files (either snail mail me the jump drive, or host on Shannon's account and I can download from there) I don't mind getting them uploaded/linked/whatever so we can check them out.
Old April 20, 2017, 18:33   #491
HelluvaEngineer
Registered

Quote:
If someone can get me the files (either snail mail me the jump drive, or host on Shannon's account and I can download from there) I don't mind getting them uploaded/linked/whatever so we can check them out.
I just sent Stimp the credentials for FTP. Dropbox is another obvious option.
Old April 20, 2017, 20:24   #492
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I just sent Stimp the credentials for FTP. Dropbox is another obvious option.
Shot, over.

Shows 2 hours to complete.

My dropbox is full of my own files...and they have totally borked God knows how many threads by removing the public folder option.

Old April 20, 2017, 21:04   #493
HelluvaEngineer
Registered

Quote:
Shot, over.

Shows 2 hours to complete.

My dropbox is full of my own files...and they have totally borked God knows how many threads by removing the public folder option.
I'm trying to find a thumbnail gallery / viewer that I can install on my main Wordpress site to view these. Going one by one is pretty painful.
Old April 20, 2017, 21:15   #494
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I'm trying to find a thumbnail gallery / viewer that I can install on my main Wordpress site to view these. Going one by one is pretty painful.
You asked!

1.5 hours remaining in fire mission.

Old April 20, 2017, 21:41   #495
HelluvaEngineer
Registered

Eureka!

I love it when technology actually works for a change.

http://wegotcode.com/uncategorized/2...bend-gun-club/

I might have to refresh the thumbnail cache later. Threw in a plug for Hill. I assume that's OK.

Stimp, think I should add any info on there, like the top 3 in each class? Want to be careful since the page is publicly accessible.
Old April 20, 2017, 23:02   #496
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Shot, out.

Last edited by stimpsonjcat; April 21, 2017 at 08:24.
Old April 21, 2017, 05:14   #497
beseventeen
Registered

Excellent work Shannon & Bruce!!
Old April 21, 2017, 06:21   #498
kotengu
Registered

Very cool - thanks guys!
Old April 21, 2017, 08:03   #499
charles isaac
Registered

FALaholic #: 891
I showed some of the guys the scores and vids and it was like, you know, everyone shooting those big guns fast and and we all know so many of the overly competitive types that would be pretty butthurt with such a big point spread, but FALfilers are generally really good sports. Well butthurt is an understatement seeing Crazy Corn more like stomped a friggin mudhole in it!

It's like, he won action and target? No one ever does that. Now that was some serious good shootin Jason!

Tom will probably win it some time if you guys would quit getting him to drink so much the night before. Those Carolina guys can shoot!
Old April 21, 2017, 09:32   #500
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles isaac View Post
I showed some of the guys the scores and vids and it was like, you know, everyone shooting those big guns fast and and we all know so many of the overly competitive types that would be pretty butthurt with such a big point spread, but FALfilers are generally really good sports. Well butthurt is an understatement seeing Crazy Corn more like stomped a friggin mudhole in it!

It's like, he won action and target? No one ever does that. Now that was some serious good shootin Jason!

Tom will probably win it some time if you guys would quit getting him to drink so much the night before. Those Carolina guys can shoot!
Hey Charles - great to hear from you! We were all wondering about you and waiting to see if you'd show up to defend your crown. You staying home made it too easy on Jason -