The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old April 19, 2017, 22:14   #1
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
two more get the grand canyon treatment...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...eek/100568076/

looks like a kid & granny from tennessee fell in a creek & drowned at north rim

threw in a bonus , guy fell 100' in phoenix
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...nix/100552806/

i am going hiking this weekend👍
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017, 23:05   #2
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
It seems like every week someone is getting jacked up on camelback mountain. It's on the news all the time. You would think people would learn and avoid that damn place.
Old April 20, 2017, 12:27   #3
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftonaviation View Post
It seems like every week someone is getting jacked up on camelback mountain. It's on the news all the time. You would think people would learn and avoid that damn place.
And Camelback is pretty tame compared to the rest of what we have. Of course, most people around here take no time to acclimate themselves to the heat or have much ability to recognize heat-related deficiencies. The wife and I will be hiking in Spur Cross this weekend.

The Grand Canyon is a great big trench in the earth. The fall is going to be long and exceptionally brutal. Plan accordingly. RIP to the two, but maybe Darwin's just helping us out.

WTB: 2x South African Pattern 70 canteen pouches
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 13:21   #4
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
AZ can be brutal to the stupid or unprepared. I guess I was lucky, never got stuck or in trouble in the middle of nowhere, except once when I took a road that somebody must have spiked on purpose. Got 2 flats 1/2 mile from the highway, tow truck could get to me.

But I always made sure I had 5 gallons or more of water with me. And a Leatherman, used it more than once to remove cactus spines from either one of my friends or a dog.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 18:12   #5
Registered

i do a lot of hiking alone. the gila wilderness is cool to hike alone, but one injury & it could be all over. i always carry a gun to signal with if needed.
Old April 24, 2017, 22:08   #6
Registered

not found yet, wife of merrill boot company founder

http://wtop.com/travel/2017/04/crews...-canyon-creek/
Old April 25, 2017, 07:34   #7
2barearms
Black Rifles Matter
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
i do a lot of hiking alone. the gila wilderness is cool to hike alone, but one injury & it could be all over. i always carry a gun to signal with if needed.
Yep you could use the gun to kill yourself if they don't find you. Most of the
stuff I saw in Az and NV would kill you if you went over the edge.....

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017, 13:21   #8
Registered

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...fer/307827001/

boy's body was found. i normally carry ropes when near water to use as safety lines, tie one end to a canteen so i can throw it as life line as last ditch safety attempt. or tie people together like mountaneers.

when u get back in canyons u r one your frickin own & only get one chance.
Old April 30, 2017, 14:23   #9
jimmbob
unreparated
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41144
If this would have happened in Washington State there would be lawsuits for not having a fence or at least a handrail protecting oneself from this dangerous situation, what an outrage the public is left unprotected like this!!!!

Old May 01, 2017, 01:00   #10
Registered

canyon trails can be very dangerous with steep grades, cliffs, flash floods, high temps, loose rocks, tough going.
Old May 01, 2017, 14:56   #11
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...fer/307827001/

boy's body was found. i normally carry ropes when near water to use as safety lines, tie one end to a canteen so i can throw it as life line as last ditch safety attempt. or tie people together like mountaneers.

when u get back in canyons u r one your frickin own & only get one chance.
I carry a line and throwable device in my vehicles. You never know...

Sucks for the kid. The lady should have been wiser.

Keep in mind,you don't need to go into the drink,to die from it...
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi..._dies_fro.html

"MARQUETTE COUNTY, MI -- A Michigan Technological University student died from suspected hypothermia while on a hiking trip with friends, TV6 in the Upper Peninsula is reporting.

Marquette County sheriff's deputies said the young man was pronounced dead about 8 a.m. Saturday, April 29 after searchers found a group of hikers.

The student was with five other Michigan Tech students, all 19 and 20-year-old men, who went on a hiking expedition Friday in the woods of Rocking Chair Lake north of Ispheming.

According to TV6, one of the men went to find firewood and did not return. After 30 minutes, the others searched for him and eventually found him cold and wet.

After the man's condition began to decline, the men began to hike out and eventually reached a bluff at about 4:30 a.m. where they had cell phone service. They were found by searchers about three hours later but the ill student could not be saved.

Police have not released the student's name pending notification of family."
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2017, 18:38   #12
Registered

thats just plain stupid. s. t. a. r. t. a. f. i. r. e.
Old May 02, 2017, 16:22   #13
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
And Michigan Tech is supposed to be where the real brainiacs go to school...
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2017, 07:28   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Not a Me Post but a Preparedness Post

So many devices sold now to alert rescue both radio and satellite integrated if concious. Should be able to send an alert and whenever you wander by yourself, slow your roll cause nobody there to help if get hurt. Have wandered up North Face of the Eiger alone, the Andes Mountains, jungles of South America, French Alps, Pyrenees, American and Canadian Rockies, Tetons, Wind Rivers, Bear Tooth of Montana in Winter, back country solo skiing in avalanche country and deserts of Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, White Mountains of NH in winter and more alone, single partner and groups. Have never had an injury could not self extract including large fall with compound fracture where had bandages, splints and tape in first aid kit, made my own crutches, got to car and drove two hours to hospital of choice all before cell phones.

Spent years cumulative time just on the knife edge between a fine trip and last day on earth. People used to think crazy when driving to Montana or Utah, etc in winter that a big shovel, chains, tent, stove, food and a -20° sleeping bad for each occupant of vehicle got crammed in even if planned to stay at hotels. Have never dug myself out of a ditch or road with my shovel but actually dug a NC snowplow out of middle of road stuck in a 27" record snowfall and dug more Kolo"rad"o natives out of snow than every state combined. Frost heaves shook a shock bolt out in Maine one February, got out, pulled Tyvek coveralls over my expensive Goretex winter wear, dug a place on side of road to pull and work, got shock off and functioning when about 90 minutes later first car came by of locals. Wife was brewing fresh coffee on tailgate of truck while I was pilfering for bolt (didn't carry spares over 1" diameter till after that) and walking the road hoping to find the one that fell out to put back and wire wrap for a nut. Locals were stunned when heard Georgia accents, smiles on our faces, well fed, hot fresh coffee which we shared and asked if could help. Said a 1.25"×3.5" or close bolt would be a great help as was already searching truck for similar could remove from non critical location. Half hour later brought back bolt needed, handed me a card and said to call if ever could help. Was the current seated US Senator from Maine visiting his brother. Was impressed two hillbillies from Georgia were least bit upset or concerned about possibity of spending night on side of road in a Maine winter. Wife was already gathering firewood and stomping down a place to pitch the tent and was happy as could be because loves tent camping in any weather.

Can count more dead friends that made same choices I may have in the wilderness than count on all fingers and toes but luck didn't play their way. Bottom line is always be prepared for any possible scenario can foresee. Anyone that drives through North Dakota in winter or across Rockies without a shovel and sleeping bags may eventually die. If wander the desert without way of acquiring clean water or having on their backs, med kits, firearm, etc then they are victims. Have been stranded in the Badlands of South Dakota in January. No cell service, no HF or UHF contacts, no C.B. even run through my ham radio amp with a 10/12 meter mod, no H.F. contacts and truck dead on side of road with not a single vehicle come by for over two hours. Were already getting ready to pitch the tent and unpack the sleeping bags when Joseph and Mary (can't make this stuff up) on way back from church special service stopped and said would send a wrecker from next town 50 miles away. Offered to take us with and stick in hotel while hook came for truck but not leaving my truck with 50k in gear abandoned to be pilfered. Two hours and just before dark the hook arrived and took us to hotel across street from his shop.

Sometimes blind luck plays in your favor, sometimes against. People joke about all the crap I consider necessary just to go into Atlanta. Spare serpentine belt, dual batteries all trucks, tire plug kit and compressor, spare tire inflated, tools, rifle, armor, food, water and more stuff than most carry on a cross country trip. Swapped a water pump on side of interstate in Macon wearing suit and tie on way to ministry event, sawzalled off a clogged catalytic converter in SC installed test pipe and drove home, swapped starters in autoparts parking lots, brake jobs on motorcycles side of road (kit on bike can fix anything except what full shop is required), and much more. Sometimes dumb luck takes out even the prepared but the saying "chance favors the well prepared" is my mantra. Even have a engine/chassis/brakes/transmission capable code scanner in truck. Have four trucks with 300 plus miles and never failed to get home but had to call for a parts delivery or walk more than a dozen times.

Found lost people in Arapahoe National Forest, Cochise Stronghold, San Juans, Ute Mountains, Front Range, Western Slope of Rockies and many more. Spent many sleepless nights searching for lost alzheimers patients locally, lost hikers and climbers in NC and North GA, taught vertical rescue to fire departments and rescue groups. Seen people die that recommended turnnaround cause we dug a pit that predicted next slope wouldmavalanche andnthe ignored the hillbillies and walked right into a slide after warning. Always took a Western Avalanche Expert on expiditions. This is not a chest beating see me post though many will call it that. Don't care. It's a look at all the potential issues that could happen between point A and point B, analyze how to mitigate as many as possible and put the equipment in the truck or on your back.

Drive like everyone else is trying to kill you because they are. Every truck I own has all I need to fix anything can fix without a machine shop and a lift. Never drive anywhere without items necessary to survive any possible weather. Have IFAK plus fulfillment first aid kit in every truck, on every vest, in every pack, every room of my house, offices of shop, shop area so never more than a few steps from stemming the hemmorging of an accidental gun shot wound, hand cut in half by table saw, broken end mill from mill or CNC through abdomen, etc. Always a fire extinguisher in reach if in vehicle, any room of house or work. Most people think they can just call 911 and all will be fine. That's a pipe dream and they are always a moment away from disaster.

One of first trips to Kolo"rad"o in 80's got indoctrinated real fast when after two days of humping packs to reach base of climb to find a dead body reasonably fresh as no bugs or vermin eating pieces off yet. One guy got really hinky saying had to run get help immediately when this big giant of a guy who had and still has been climbing forever said, "sky is blue, weather is beautiful, spent two days getting here and he isn't getting any deader, let's climb" which is exactly what happened while the freaked out guy refused, went to get Rangers and was on way back up hill as we had car and Ranger hut in sight coming down and he was stuck with going back up to show them the body while rest of group went to next climb. Let the buzzards pick the bones of the stupid and unlucky. Meanwhile do all you can to not be in that group.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017, 22:59   #15
Registered

ms merrill still hasn't been found
Old May 14, 2017, 06:27   #16
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Darwin was pretty fugly for a guy, which explains why he is not nice to idiots