Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old April 17, 2017, 17:28   #1
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
I think I screwed up?

I have a MEC Sizemaster loader set up for 12 gage and just ordered the parts to convert it to 20 gage. I am thinking now I should have bit the bullet and bought the whole deal for 20 gage to save myself the hassle of going back and forth between the two.
I shoot more 20 gage for just about everything now because it is much easier on the old body than the 12 gage. I use the 12 gage for home defense purposes only these days with 00 buck shot. So maybe I am OK with setting the loader up for 20 gage.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 08:41   #2
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Your plan sounds quite logical to me. It may be we're both nuts, however.

Don't think I've ever heard of anyone loading OO Buck. I buy factory loads as I don't shoot many of them and I have someone to blame if it goes south.
Old April 19, 2017, 07:52   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Your plan sounds quite logical to me. It may be we're both nuts, however.

Don't think I've ever heard of anyone loading OO Buck. I buy factory loads as I don't shoot many of them and I have someone to blame if it goes south.
3 nuts.

Don't load 12 gauge 00 buck. Can buy a lifetime supply easily as don't enjoy shooting it enough to run out. Taken to using 2 3/4" #4 buck for home defense. More pellets, less penetration through walls and reasonable recoil. Mostly keep odd rounds in house like Duplex. Used to have to load but plenty of people making. 2 3/4" shell, medium/fast powder, short column wad then load it full of single 0 buck mixed with Daisy BB's. The BB's fill voids between the shot, short wad gives huge payload, medium velocity makes softer shooting. On simulated human flesh at in house ranges with improved cylinder choke it turns into hamburger meat looking stuff. If have to waste a snake for wife, she hates them so we give them no quarter, the BB's mixed in with buck aid in vermin removal without swapping shells.

Stuff like picture below makes all the effort to be different easy and out of the box. Yes picture is in other thread. But duplex, buck and ball, and other odd things can be done with a scattergun. A short wad, pour full of BB's or #4 shot leaving enough room to stick a 7/8 ounce slug on top have a nice slug to waste Medusa with a follow up of shot behind it for all them snakes on her head. Doubt there is an item that will fit in a shotgun shell have not launched. End mills in sabots, flour in a condom (please be careful with that if hasn't rained) flour turns to flammible/explosive fine powder and muzzle blast ignites if done correctly, thermite is another poor idea in a shot shell, a turned aluminum slug doesn't have much mass but will bust a deadbolt from four to six inches and so on. Very misspent youth and before age of 18 owning a MEC Loader, several $75 break action single shots and knowledge that a minor on 3,000 acres had few worries was lucky to survive. Like loading 90 grain 380 hollow points in a 357 Maximum, poor idea....

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017, 08:05   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Needs more rock salt.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017, 09:47   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Prefer rocks to salt but if don't want to kill neighbors dog while teaching him to stay out of trash can it works. Many fail to realize rock salt if loaded in well cushioned wad is deadly at close range. Couple of raccoons and possums didn't make through rock salt and a turkey choke. Oh, the stack of dimes reputed to be loaded in shotgun Billy the Kidd stole,and used to waste the deputy, never made that work at any real range even with silver dimes. Soon as wad separates they start succumb to flat surface against air then tumble and fall harmlessly about 25 feet from muzzle. If wrap with turn of duct tape or epoxy together it's just a slug that breaks up on impact if get glue bond correct. Cannot believe my parents never thought a thing about their 13 year old kid playing mad scientist with a reloading kit and the moron survived.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old April 21, 2017, 15:28   #6
hokey45
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 41407
Sage have you tried loading down your 12s to 20 shot loads? Shooting trap I went from 1-1/8 to 1 ounce and found I broke clays just as well and my shoulder thanked me for it. Then moved to 7/8 ounce which is like shooting 20ga shells in a 12ga gun. With those loads my arm gets tired of pumping the gun and my shoulder never complains.

I roll my own too. Fast burning powder like Red Dot with the right wad for light shot loads. MEC 600JR and a PW.
hokey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017, 15:29   #7
hokey45
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 41407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
3 nuts.

Like loading 90 grain 380 hollow points in a 357 Maximum, poor idea....

Did Mad Max velocities disintegrate the bullets mid flight?
hokey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017, 08:10   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Actually disintegrated when his forcing cone. From data I had showing 2,700 fps for 125 grain 357 bullets am assuming the 90 grain 380's were clocking well over 3,000 fps making jump from cylinder to forcing cone. Think the undersize and short projectiles had @$$ end trying to pass front end and hit cone canted and turned to grenades inside cone side spitting almost as much copper out barrel cylinder gap as muzzle. They worked decently in 357 magnum if liked a two inch deep, four inch diameter crater in clay. Imagine shooting a human would look like a small explosive device detonated while taped to area bullet hit. The big gaping wound would likely put the toughest man into shock even if didn't bust any vital organs and set up major hemorrhage type wound. I learned more about what didn't work by age 15 than most will in a lifetime. Pistol bullets were decent idea in a 35 Remington but poor idea in 350 Remington Magnum. At some point hit the wall of shock a bullet can take and still stay in one piece.
Old April 22, 2017, 21:49   #9
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Thumbs up Any of you ever use split shot in 12GA?

Fishing sinkers- split shot you can mix sizes and split the shot in half, NASTY combo's can be made.

Sagerider, I think you are on the right track with the conversion.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017, 00:17   #10
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

I have been cleaning up my reloading room/office and found my stash of Winchester AA 12 gage hulls with three boxes of Winchester AA wads along with other stuff I had forgotten about. I had been loading 1 1/8 ounce 7 1/2 shot with 25.5 grains of 800X but the 800X meters so poorly I have to weigh every load. The stuff piles up and clogs in the charge bar due to being such big flakes. I did my research on the net and I am not the only person that has problems with 800X. I am looking for an obtainable powder to replace it. The load stated is supposed to reach just a little over 1,300 fps with around 7,000 psi. The 1,300 fps with 1 1/8 field load is about all I can stand with a 12 gage.
I screwed up years ago and sold my Ruger Red Lable and the 12 gage I have now is a Benelli M1 Super 90 Room Broom, really a very light shotgun. I have a very nice Benelli Montefeltro in 20 gage which is my favorite for general bird hunting, mostly Hungarian Partidges here at home which are quail sized birds. Can't stand the thought of shooting doves after the ex-wife's cat ate one and the birds life mate hung around for days after. Not even to mention when dove season opens here in Montana the doves are long gone south except for a very few stupid ones.
Now that I have retired I am planning on doing more bird hunting in the future and maybe a pheasant trip out to South Dakota at least once a year. When I was working I was always gone traveling out and about in the fall so being home now full time is outstanding.

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.

Last edited by Sagerider; April 23, 2017 at 00:47.
Old April 23, 2017, 10:17   #11
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
How did you get them Partridges to fly all the way over to your place from Hungary?
We have Partridges too, but I always figured they were locals. There's also a bird known hereabouts as a Spruce Partridge aka Fool's Hen. Pretty easy pickings as they don't readily flush and then only to the nearest bush. I leave them be, but they are handy if you're hungry. Not to be confused with the country ya understand.

Only have 12 ga guns right now, but always regret not grabbing that sweet 20ga Side locked Side by Side double years ago.

Had the same problem with IMR 800X that I was loading pistol cartridges with. Dang stuff just clumps together.
I changed to Winchester WSF that is close to the same burn rate and should be a good alternative in your shot shells as well.
Old April 23, 2017, 10:28   #12
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
I don't have the MEC. I have the "cheap" Lee Load-all2.

I load for all 3 of the bores that it will do. (12, 16, and 20).

Also made my own hand loader for the 410 bore on my lathe. It's a lot slower, but gets the job done.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017, 14:17   #13
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Hungarian partridge & Blue grouse

Blue grouse hunting is done with a stick, no need for anything else. I have had the males go into full display mode five feet from me, I must look good to them for some reason. It is very common to encounter these birds in the mountains here and they are not afraid of people, they should be, but they aren't. Good to have them around if you should get lost with nothing to eat, God will provide.

Huns on the other hand are typical field birds and take wing at the first hint of an intruder. They hang around together in small flocks and during the winter they like my Karaganda for the seeds cast off during the fall. They like to hang out at grain bens as well picking up dropped wheat or barley kernels.

We have Sage grouse here too but they taste just like their name, awful. So they just putts around and nobody bothers them. I like to see them and feed all the birds come winter.

I have been looking at barrels for my Benelli M1 Super 90 and they think an awful lot of them so it looks as though it will just remain a Room Broom 18 inch for the foreseeable future. Not that it can't be used for hunting though, I have busted a lot of clays with it. I like the Montefeltro better though because of the beautiful wood furniture and it is light as a feather pointing well with adjustable stock angle inserts to fit just about anyone's preference. I had bought this shotgun for my Dad but he found it difficult to load due to his age and he gave it back to me. When we were out looking for a good shotgun for him we found a perfect Winchester Pidgin grade over and under in 20 gage but he past it by, I should have bought it for myself, dang, but we were looking for a shotgun for him not me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3721.JPG (95.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3720.JPG (80.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Sagerider; April 23, 2017 at 23:16.