Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old April 08, 2018, 13:36   #1
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Savage 10 BA Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor.

Managed to get out an try a new load for my Savage Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor today at 100 yds. 130 gr Bergers over 35gr of Varget in Lapua brass with small primers.

1st target was new and clean. 1st shot at 7 in the 10 ring. Corrected and put 9 shots in the 10 ring at 12. Dropped the elevation down and put 10 in the X. 200 -13X.

On a roll so shot a clean wet target that had been on the board for a time. 200 - 20X.

Semper Fi
Art

Last edited by ArtBanks; April 08, 2018 at 16:42.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 08, 2018, 18:11   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
The Tikka T3 in 6.5 Creedmore with Vortex Viper PST 5-25x side focus scope and SIG suppressor has become a great coyote killer and has a 288 yard point blank range using 120 grain before have to worry about adjusting dope on shots. After putting into service about 18 months ago been slaying coyote with it at a friends poultry farm and the 6.5 rig was purchased specifically for killing coyote that were getting in his chicken houses sometimes killing several hundred birds in process of just gathering a single meal. It has been very good at doing what it was purchased for.

Been enjoying the Tikka a lot but recently pulled one of my customized Remington 700's in 25-06 and realized it shoots better than the Tikka. While the Tikka is an out of the box rifle, the Remington went through a custom gunsmith full "factory" tune he offers with factory barrel being used along with optimizing all factory parts and systems without swapping in a custom trigger, stock or anything, just tweaks all the factory parts to point of totally ripping the rifle apart and reassembling taking out all clearances and hand fitting it all back together. The 25-06 loaded with 115 grain VLD's has a 313 yard point blank range. When drop to 100 grain Cutting Edge VLD's my ballistics calculator is calling a 335 yard point blank for coyote.

Now wondering if only reason been using the Tikka so much is the 6.5 Creedmore fanboy hype and factory cap with threads that match the SIG suppressor. Have spent past hour going through my folders with load data and accuracy information for the 25-06's that have served me well for decades against the 6.5 Creedmore folder and running a lot of math using ballistics calculators on point blank, drop over distance, wind drift etc. Ran charts out to 800 yards and running a 110 grain 25-06 side by side with a 120 grain 6.5 Creedmore the old '06 based cartridge has 50 less inches of drop. Have both of the 25-06's out of the vault (semi custom and custom) with intent to remove muzzle brake from one so can attach a can and may go back to my old school rigs for coyote for a bit or run side by side with the 6.5 and let the proof be in the body count.

I have become less of a paper puncher and more of a varmint shooter more and more. Have learned that 100 yard performance is not always linear or proportional to a rifles performance at longer ramges. Have some rifles that are 1/2 MOA at 100 but 1.5 MOA at 250 yards. Then have others that fight to get 1 MOA out of them at 100 but at 250 settle down and shoot 3/4 MOA. Have had to remind myself that tiny 100 yard groups do not translate to consistent cold bore clean kills at 600 yards. Many circumstances the only shot that counts is one, is there a dead coyote or ground hog at range presented or is it not?

Wife has decided dead varmints are the most important result here on the Ponderosa after we realized squirrel have nested in the attic. Yesterday we spent the day working the Hornets killing squirrel all day and today had to go find the nest in attic as the offspring were upset about not being fed so gave them some rat poison and peanut butter to make removing easier. Can't plug the new hole finally found till weather clears up. I know my farmer friends prefer dead ground hogs and coyote to me shooting small groups at the range. Now to get a muffler on one of the quarter bores and run it side by side with the 6.5 in the field.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 08, 2018, 22:53   #3
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
Nice looking setup art. I had a lightly used one in the shop last month, they seem like really nice rifles.
Old April 12, 2018, 06:52   #4
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
I like the ability to change barrels and calibers at a moments notice.
Tough to beat one for the price.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote