The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old July 23, 2019, 22:29   #1
Boocheet
Registered

FALaholic #: 82415
Vepr to RPK

Hey all! I have a question that maybe some knowledgeable people here can answer, since it's been months since I registered on the AK Files and still no approval...

Years back I bought a 7.62x39 Vepr with a 23" barrel, with the intention of doing the mag conversion, and hopefully giving it the full blown RPK treatment, with the backup plan of just lopping the barrel down to 16" for a traditional AK style if all else failed. Now that I finally have the funds to start the project (life's curveballs and whatnot), I've run into the issue that I can't really find much information on exactly what all needs to be done to the front end. Does anyone know the feasability of this project actually being able to be done? I know the basics that need to be done like the bullet guide and magazine stuff, the stock adapter for the slant cut receiver, etc. My main question is with all the front end stuff, like gas tube, handguard fitment, FSB, bipod, cleaning rod, and muzzle device, etc. Does the Vepr barrel have the same profile as typical RPK barrels? Will surplus parts work for the Vepr barrel? Or am I better off giving up the dream of having a Russian RPK?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Boocheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2019, 22:37   #2
Charles_The_Hammer
BANNED

FALaholic #: 76904
Have you tried registering and asking around at The AK Forum? It's like AK Files except without the psychos. Forum doesn't get as much action as AK Files but there are some very knowledgeable guys there that would be glad to help out, I'm sure.

I'm in the process of putting together (or having someone put together) an RPK myself.

Mine is a surplus kit so it's a little more straightforward than a conversion like you are planning on doing. As long as the gas port is in the same place and the barrel journal size allows for a RPK gas block and front sight block+bipod to be pressed on, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would definitely check over there, though. Probably find you some parts there, too.
Charles_The_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019, 07:17   #3
Boocheet
Registered

FALaholic #: 82415
I might have to try the AK Forum out.

That was my thinking when I got it, was that hopefully the barrel diameters would be compatible with surplus parts, but haven't been able to find any information on it.

I bet that RPK is going to be pretty sweet when it is done.
Boocheet is offline   Reply With Quote