Notices

Old May 04, 2019, 09:52   #1
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Vintage two-gun match 2019 - CANCELLED

Game on!

Mark your calendars. Be there or be square.

http://phashoots.net/upcoming-events...dar&mc_id=1283

REGISTRATION OPENS 9/12/19

Last edited by Invictus77; September 12, 2019 at 16:39.
Invictus77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2019, 17:02   #2
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Once again, I will be there. This is a fun one day match where you get to see all sorts of vintage weapons used to compete.

Now to figure out which long gun I will be bringing. The pistol is a toss up between the HiPower and 1911.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2019, 21:49   #3
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Looks really cool. I have no guns from that era. So I guess for now I will be square and not there.

Wow great pictures! I love the gal in the (air force?) Uniform running the course with skirt, heels, and M1 !
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2019, 09:23   #4
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I have no guns from that era.
Everyone needs a Garand and a 1911. Now you have a better motivation to get them
Old May 05, 2019, 11:42   #5
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Lets see, Moisan Nagant, Springfield 03 & 03A1, M1 carbine and Garand, SKS, SMLE, Type 38 or 99 Arisaka are just a few of the authorized rifles. Any 1911 (No Comps), Browning Hi-Power, P-38, Tokarev and Makarov are some of the authorized pistols. And technically any Winchester 1894 rifle could also be used since they were issued to several South American country's National Police and Military. Speed reloads might be an issue though.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old May 06, 2019, 10:09   #6
Tak
Registered

Quite a few of those guns I've wanted for years. Hopefully over time I can aquire a few and this event will still be going. As much as I want to I can't justify going out to buy a couple guns just for one event right now (I had to force myself to stop pricing 1911's and Thompsons last night lol) . It's too bad I was not as much into this stuff like 15 years ago. My dad had a lot of those items but when he moved houses he sold a bunch off at auction. Lovely Nagants and SMLEs and few other things. All at prices that seem crazy low by today's comparison. I love the period outfits/uniforms too. Hope you guys have a great event!
Old May 06, 2019, 15:15   #7
Tak
Registered

Okay thinking about this more...

Would one of those M57 Tokarevs be eligible for the Pistol requirements?

(b) Handguns
(i) Equipped with notch-and-post sights only.
(ii) Chambered in a centerfire cartridge safe for use on pistol-rated steel targets
(iii) Must have been originally designed in 1945 or older (e.g., new production RIA 1911 single stack in 9mm is fine).
(iv) No more than 8 rounds loaded in the gun or any magazine at start signal.

The original Tokarav was of course designed in the 1930's, the M57 as I'm sure you all know is an updated version.

Quote:
Adopted in 1957, the M57 was a license-produced copy of the Soviet Tokarev TT pistol, although the M57 had a longer grip to accommodate a larger magazine (holding 9 rounds, versus 8 rounds in the TT).
I still see these for sale pretty cheap, and would get me half-way there for vitnage guns. I have come close to buying one of these a couple times in the past (I even have a couple hundred rounds of ammo for it...yes ammo for a gun I don't own, right?).

Looking at last year's thread , I saw this:

Quote:
we are going for firearms that were actually fielded by military or police in or before 1945. So while the FN49 was designed in that time period it wasn't fielded until after, so that would be a pass. Sorry!!
So, not sure. The T-30 / T-33 was certainly fielded on or before 1945, but the modified M57 of couse would not have been, even though it's just a copy of the original T-33.

Per the rule # 3:
(iii) Must have been originally designed in 1945 or older (e.g., new production RIA 1911 single stack in 9mm is fine).

I would think the Tokarev Yugo M57 should be allowed. It would be less of a change from the T-33 than a 9mm 1911 would be from the orignal 1911 (Capacity change via longer grip on the m57 yet same caliber. vs. Capacity & caliber change for a modern 9mm 1911).

Last edited by Tak; May 06, 2019 at 21:48.
Old May 07, 2019, 13:26   #8
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

The M57 is still called the Yugo M57 TT Tokorev pistol. Since it is a modernized version of the original, it should not be a problem using it. Last year I ran an Egyptian Hakim rifle in 8mm Mauser. It is a direct decendant of the Lungeman AG42 which was issued in 1942 to the Swedes. Since the Hakim was a licensed copy made for the Egyptians in their caliber of choice, it still fit the bill as designed and issued prior to 1945. Just like the guys using the modern 1911's or current Browning Hi Powers. They may have been made after 1945 but the basic design was way before then. And OBTW, the SKS was fielded by select Soviet Army troops in late 1944 and early 1945, making it an eligible rifle.

Old May 10, 2019, 13:30   #9
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Wow great pictures! I love the gal in the (air force?) Uniform running the course with skirt, heels, and M1 !

This joke never gets old.
Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 13:53   #10
Tak
Registered

Me thinks that is NOT an air force uniform lol.

Good ol' Klinger. He was way ahead of his time.

Today he'd be celebrated
Old May 10, 2019, 13:56   #11
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Dammit, who spilled the beans on what uniform I planned to wear this year?
Old May 10, 2019, 14:03   #12
Tak
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Dammit, who spilled the beans on what uniform I planned to wear this year?
I thought you couldn't wear pink after labor day?

These gals are ready for the prone minute drill:

Old May 10, 2019, 14:37   #13
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Maybe this will erase the prior fugly photo from your memory bank..

BE17 2 years ago in her spiffy uniform.

hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 14:46   #14
Tak
Registered

It's great when folks really commit to the spirit of the thing like that.

I wish more women got into these shooting sports like this. It gives me more 'ammo' to try and talk one of my girls into trying it some time.... "Look, other women are doing this...you can too !"
Old May 10, 2019, 15:01   #15
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
It's great when folks really commit to the spirit of the thing like that.

I wish more women got into these shooting sports like this. It gives me more 'ammo' to try and talk one of my girls into trying it some time.... "Look, other women are doing this...you can too !"
They can. They will. They do.

You/we gotta do our part.

One thing I have learned over many years (and I am a slow learner) is that "honey draws more flies than vinegar".

"It's our God given right". "It's the Second Amendment". "That is just stupid".
All those statements may be true, but they don't draw the sheep over to our side of the fence.

"Come go with me". "I will help you and coach you". "Everyone starts somewhere and I promise I will make it easy for you".
Those type of phrases bring them to the other side of the fence. This is not just the girls. Men, women, and children all react the same.

Be harsh on safety. Be gentle on how to learn and have fun. Work in the 2A rights softly as you go. Success will follow.
Old July 20, 2019, 12:49   #16
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Link updated in OP.
Old August 24, 2019, 08:32   #17
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

One of our own made the cover of the Garand Collectors quarterly magazine this time !!

Old August 24, 2019, 09:37   #18
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
This looks like a good place to post this; Ronnie, the Bren Gun girl.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019, 18:42   #19
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I haven't seen B17 here in ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
The M57 is still called the Yugo M57 TT Tokorev pistol. Since it is a modernized version of the original, it should not be a problem using it. Last year I ran an Egyptian Hakim rifle in 8mm Mauser. It is a direct decendant of the Lungeman AG42 which was issued in 1942 to the Swedes. Since the Hakim was a licensed copy made for the Egyptians in their caliber of choice, it still fit the bill as designed and issued prior to 1945. Just like the guys using the modern 1911's or current Browning Hi Powers. They may have been made after 1945 but the basic design was way before then. And OBTW, the SKS was fielded by select Soviet Army troops in late 1944 and early 1945, making it an eligible rifle.
I thought last year the SKS and FN49, to name a few, were considered not valid because they were "not fielded in enough numbers by recognized armed forces or something."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
This looks like a good place to post this; Ronnie, the Bren Gun girl.

Someone quick copy that hinged rear stand, make a version for the AR, patent it, and create a lame acronym to name it!

Last edited by raubvogel; August 24, 2019 at 18:58.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 20:10   #20
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
I haven't seen B17 here in ages.

I thought last year the SKS and FN49, to name a few, were considered not valid because they were "not fielded in enough numbers by recognized armed forces or something."

Someone quick copy that hinged rear stand, make a version for the AR, patent it, and create a lame acronym to name it!
Somebody already did. Many versions out there. Here is just one of them:

Old September 12, 2019, 16:19   #21
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Today was supposed to be sign-up day on Practiscore, but the event had disappeared, so I emailed PHA.

Per PHA:

"Yes it did get canceled. The folks that ran it last year did not have the time available to run it this year."

Last edited by Invictus77; September 12, 2019 at 16:40.
Invictus77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 16:36   #22
Tak
Registered

Well, as the Chicago Cubs said for like 104 years....There's always NEXT Year !

I wasn't going to be able to make it this year with stuff going on with my work (this is my busiest time of the year), but I did find some vintage guns to use.

I'll have to get them ready for next year and see what happens.
Old September 13, 2019, 16:31   #23
Eeben
Registered

FALaholic #: 72911
Nooooooo
Eeben is offline   Reply With Quote