The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old August 21, 2019, 18:42   #1
Douglas S Graham
Registered

FALaholic #: 19332
Dillon reloading co. , the BEST in customer service.

I broke a part because I was stupid, admitted it to the CS rep. He asked me to explain. After explaining , and admitted I broke the thing, he said no problem, will send out a new one. I asked how much?? No charge!!! WHAT?? I wanted to give him a hug. They have my business forever!!!
Douglas S Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019, 20:53   #2
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 3248
RCBS runs a damn close second. I have been without the little case adapter out the bottom of the RCBS powder measure i bought used eons ago. The little 9/16ths threaded thing on the bottom. Ordered this little “adapter” thingy off Amazon recently thinking for $1.99, I can make it work. No way. Called RCBS, told them I don’t even see the part listed on their website. He politely advises me that these are warranty parts, and he’ll send all three out in the mail post haste. Californians ain’t all bad, I tells ya.
Old August 21, 2019, 20:57   #3
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Pretty happy with Dillon’s attitude and their equipment. I have an old 550b I have loaded thousands, and thousands, and thousands (and thousands) of rounds on. Also traded into an SDB in 9mm that is pretty much good-to-go for cranking them out.

Funny somebody mentioned RCBS as I was just thinking about them today and how they took care of me with an issue (not even really their fault) years ago. I got a priming tool of theirs from Midway years ago. Parts were bent and it must have been a return that got sent back out from the looks of the packaging. Don’t know how that got past Midway, maybe I should have paid the .89 roundup for better service? Anyway, I called RCBS and told the whole story, more just reporting on the issue before I sent it back to Midway than asking for anything. They just sent me a whole new hand-primer.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"

Last edited by Timber Wolf; August 21, 2019 at 21:07.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019, 21:11   #4
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I can't afford to reload anymore, but when I did, I could not have been happier with their customer service. Some of their products were absolute crap* and it took them decades to acknowledge it, but they gave me no problem whatsoever in returning my defective crap 650 for an awesome 550b.

*9mm is not a straight-walled case, therefore a "ring" carbide resizer will ALWAYS fail to correctly resize. And blaming it on shooting in a Glock or Uzi ain't gonna fly.
Old August 22, 2019, 06:07   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I bought a 650 right before Sandy Hook and when Dillon had an eight week wait on a new press sold it for stupid money still in box never used. Have three 550b's one poo urchased lightly used and never had an issue. Have five Square Deal Bs all bought used and two that came out of box from seller messed up sent to Dillon and were shipped back perfect and at no charge. Other than Square Deals use RCBS dies in all of my 550b presses and did put a Lee in my 9mm sizing die in my Square Deal. Lot of debate on their 9mm die where some love and some hate it. Mine is in a box hopefully to never be found again. I do not like a pistol case shaped like a Coca Cola bottle.

Always been happy with their customer service until they blame an aftermarket roller bearing kit or priming tool alignment bearing to be cause of an issue. On the phone learned to tell them it's bone stock all Dillon accessories and it's always a Dillon issue not aftermarket upgrade issue. I buy the Square Deal Bs used when cheap but would not buy one as primary loading machine. A 550b with case feeder and a few aftermarket upgrades is best running press on the planet for the money. Do have a dinasaur age Pacific in-line progressive press that are still expensive, take regular maintenance but is a commercial grade machine.

One thing to consider. If the 650 and 1050 are so great why do the commercial reloaders replace their presses every year or so and sell on fleabay for some poor soul to try and shim all the wear out and find out its not got a warranty because was used on a motor drive in a commercial loading shop. Had two friend call me to help adjust their 650 presses purchased off ebay and we're so worn no way to make work even after replaced all the wear parts could buy easily. They were just worn out but the handles were "like new".
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 06:12   #6
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Good stuff from good people.

Was a 550 man years ago.
Took a hiatus from handloading.
Came back to the trade and tried Lee.
Now, I'm a 550 man again.

Mike Dillon, RIP.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 07:37   #7
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Bought a used 550. Started figuring out all the bits an pieces that were missing. Called off a list to the guy on the phone along with a the cam thingy that was bent on the powder drop. I was sort of wondering if I really did any good buying one used because there were $100 worth of parts that it needed. At the end of the conversation I asked "how much"? No charge was the answer. From then on I try to stick to Dillion for anything related to reloading.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 09:34   #8
FIANNAFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 9035
Dillon told me my Wilson case gauge was out of spec! This after selling me a bad set of their 357 Sig Dies.

Stuck me for postage both ways on returned Dies.

Also said my Sig 239 chambers not spec trying to shift the blame.
Old August 22, 2019, 10:07   #9
Bwana John
Registered

FALaholic #: 3810
RCBS has done me right.
Old August 22, 2019, 15:16   #10
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Several years ago I picked up a used Dillon Square B Deal loader at the local weekly livestock auction "sale barn". They also sell junk before the livestock sale starts. I paid $1 for the reloader. When I got it home I found the only problem with it was some worn out nylon bushings. I called Dillon and they sent me some new ones at no charge so I still only have $1 in this loader and have been using it for years. I since bought a 550B for rifle and love it as well. Just had to pay a bit more for it.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 22:38   #11
FNfreak
Registered

FALaholic #: 1081
About two years ago I brain farted, ran a unlubed case up a .308 resize die(bought in 1991) and stuck it REAL good. It scratched the die removing it so when I called to order a new one, I was telling the sales guy what an idiot I was. He said no problem, its covered under the warranty. I was shocked. I didn't intend to get a free die cause I was STUPID but he wouldn't let me pay. What company today DOESN'T Allow you to pay when you screw something up????

So I order about $70-80 worth of spare parts and stuff so at least I felt like I didn't take advantage of them and they didn't charge shipping due to the warranty replacement part....WTF??? Again, I'm trying to pay them real money and they won't take it.

YMMV, but in my book they are the best company I have ever had business dealings with.
FNfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 23:26   #12
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana John View Post
RCBS has done me right.
And me as well. The very few issues I've ever had with their stuff has always been handled quickly and easily.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019, 07:03   #13
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
And me as well. The very few issues I've ever had with their stuff has always been handled quickly and easily.
Another +1 for RCBS customer service here, too.
Their warranty is similar to the *No BS* promised by Dillon.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019, 14:12   #14
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Never had an issue with my Dillon so this is good to know. Had my XL 650 for over a decade now. Now my baby brother uses it all the time.
Old August 24, 2019, 14:33   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
My first Dillon press was a 450. Before that the only progressive I owned was a CH Mk III set up for 38 special. A few months after I purchased my 450 saw the advertising for the 550 and was bummed till discovered Dillon was offering free upgrades of 450's to 550's. The old CH Mk III in-line is still in use but have to be mindful of powder spillage and setting off primers.

Back in the day it was somewhat common to hear of someone that did not keep their CH machine clean of spilled powder to pop a primer and starting a nice fire across the press, then sometimes bench followed by entire house. Those old in-lines taught good bench cleaning habits and being careful. the Mk 5 generations were refined well and that was not as much of an issue.

Only issue I have with the Dillon presses is cost once add power case trimmer, case feeder and the aftermarket upgrades that make them run smoother. Would rather buy two 550's than one 650 if able to get by without the extra tool station.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote