The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The SIG Files

Notices

Old July 15, 2019, 11:00   #1
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
P226 slide closes upon insertion of new mag

I have had this P226 9mm for about 25 years now. It has started to close the slide whenever I slam a new magazine in. I assume something is worn but I don't know what could be the culprit. Just looking at it I cannot see anything obvious. The first thing that comes to mind is the sprint the pushes the slide lock back is weak so it is not engaging the slide as well as it should?? Any thoughts? Thanks.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2019, 11:21   #2
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Last round fired the magazine follower pushes the slide stop up. The next magazine in the loaded round is bumping the slide stop out of position. You might want to look for what's changed.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2019, 11:41   #3
Incognito
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Last round fired the magazine follower pushes the slide stop up. The next magazine in the loaded round is bumping the slide stop out of position. You might want to look for what's changed.
You are corret. I was not thinking about that right. But nothing has changed. I have never done anything to this pistol other than clean it and replace a recoil spring (10 years ago).
Old July 15, 2019, 11:47   #4
Incognito
Registered

Could it be a weak recoil spring? I slam the fresh magazine in pretty hard so maybe if the recoil spring is weak the force causes the slide to move back just enough to allow the slide stop to disengage??
Old July 15, 2019, 11:49   #5
Bawana jim
Registered

I would start by looking on the outside to see the fit of the slide stop to the slide. Sig uses great metal but it's possible the slide stop or slide got peened over the 25 years of use. Slide blocked open with the slide stop try pushing on the slide stop to see if it moves out and let's the slide close..

Do only one thing at a time until you solve the problem.
Old July 15, 2019, 11:51   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Could it be a weak recoil spring? I slam the fresh magazine in pretty hard so maybe if the recoil spring is weak the force causes the slide to move back just enough to allow the slide stop to disengage??
Could be but I don't think so as the magazine even loaded doesn't touch the slide.
Old July 15, 2019, 11:59   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

I just looked in my Sig and it looks to me like your ammo ogive is the problem. Tip of the bullet is hitting the bar with enough leverage it trips off the slide release. Try different ammo.
Old July 15, 2019, 12:27   #8
Bawana jim
Registered

Take the slide off and insert a fully loaded mag and see what it does to the slide stop. It looks to me like a long big ogive round is going over the trip and pulling it down with the pressure of the loaded round.
Old July 15, 2019, 14:21   #9
Incognito
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Take the slide off and insert a fully loaded mag and see what it does to the slide stop. It looks to me like a long big ogive round is going over the trip and pulling it down with the pressure of the loaded round.
I have tried different ammo. lately I have been shooting S&B 124 gr and RWS 124 gr. Some of this is from the same cases that I was shooting months ago before this problem started. I will take the slide off and insert a loaded mag; that is a good suggestion.
Old July 16, 2019, 16:50   #10
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
The magazine comes in from below. Wouldn't bumping the slide stop UP tend to prevent the slide from closing when the magazine was installed?

Dumb question: Factory mags?

At first I thought that perhaps it was an indication the notch in the slide was becoming worn but you inspected the slide and didn't find a problem (like a peened slide stop notch).

I would suggest making sure your magazine springs are stiff enough to properly engage the slide stop when the last round is fired. Gummy mags or weak springs can result the slide stop only partially engaging the slide, making it easier to release. Which brings up another question, with the slide locked open, how much effort is required to thumb down the release / drop the slide?

The stop on my 226 is in fabulous condition because my grip tends to keep it from ever engaging. It takes some effort to press the stop down when it is holding the slide open.
It doesn't auto-forward when I abruptly seat a full mag.
Old July 17, 2019, 00:30   #11
OREGON FAL'ER
Registered

FALaholic #: 21037
That happens to me sometimes when I slam a mag in hard. Does it do it when you don't slam it in hard.
OREGON FAL'ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2019, 09:14   #12
Tahoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 82778
Location: Clear Lake-Houston/USA - I am a be of an Argy FAL build.
Look at the slide lock spring. This is a tiny thing and may have given up the ghost. I think it’s a $4 part.

Last edited by Tahoe; August 11, 2019 at 09:15. Reason: Info
Tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2019, 19:31   #13
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
The take down lever spring pushes the lever down when the mag follower is not pushing the lever up into the slide lock position. What I would look at are the recoil springs, the slide lock notch in the slide, and the slide lock itself.

Basically what is happening is the slide is being bumped back slightly when you slam the mag home. The releases some or all of the pressure on the slide lock, allowing the spring to pull it down out of the way and letting the slide go home. Weak recoil springs (from age or much use) can allow this to happen. The slide notch could be worn also, and not have a nice square notch surface. The same could be happening to the slide stop where slide stop surfaces are worn and at an angle to the slide notch.

I would not worry about this condition too much. If it starts happening when you gently insert a magazine and this causes the slide to release, then I would look for the culprit (cause). I have done this with several semi pistol models and makes when slamming the mag home during the course of a reload during a match.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 10:12   #14
Incognito
Registered

I replaced the recoil spring and so far it seems to have solved the problem. I need to shoot it some more with multiple mags to confirm but I loaded a single round into a couple of magazines over and over and it locked back each time. Did not have time to do more testing but I will soon. I will report back after more thorough testing.
Old August 23, 2019, 15:57   #15
douglas
Registered

FALaholic #: 22985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
I have had this P226 9mm for about 25 years now. It has started to close the slide whenever I slam a new magazine in. I assume something is worn but I don't know what could be the culprit. Just looking at it I cannot see anything obvious. The first thing that comes to mind is the sprint the pushes the slide lock back is weak so it is not engaging the slide as well as it should?? Any thoughts? Thanks.
Actually is that a bad thing ? I will slam a mag home hard during qualification with my service pistol just to get the slide to slam home . Beats fumbling around for the slide lock while on the clock. I always figured that the pistol was nice and broken in when I was able to do it.

Last edited by douglas; August 23, 2019 at 16:18.
douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2019, 16:21   #16
Incognito
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas View Post
Actually is that a bad thing ? I will slam a mag home hard during qualification with my service pistol just to get the slide to slam home . Beats fumbling around for the slide lock while on the clock. I always figured that the pistol was nice and broken in when I was able to do it.
Only if it was designed to do it consistently. Anytime something happens due to wear and is unpredictable it is a bad thing. I have no problem engaging the slide release with my thumb. Knowing that something is going to happen every time the same way with boring consistency is priceless. That is why I love things like P226's and AK's. So when they stop being boringly consistent there is a problem.