Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old July 07, 2018, 11:38   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
ATN PS15 N.V. Goggles

Wife asked me what I want for Christmas so she could start working on it. Have been looking at ATN's line of PS15 night vision goggles.

Quote:
The ATN PS15 is a compact, lightweight dual Night Vision Goggle System. It utilizes two high-performance Image Intensifier Tubes to provide extremely clear and crisp images under the darkest conditions. This dual tube design provides increased depth perception and outstanding clarity. A built-in IR lets the user easily read a map and function in a total darkness environment. Available in a wide array of Image Intensifier Tube configurations the ATN PS15 Night Vision Goggles is designed to handle every budget and mission requirement. The ATN PS15 Night Vision System is the high-performance choice!
Currently all helmets are set up with monoculars and if have to put on after dark usually grab a rifle with Gen 2+ or an I.R. day/night ATN X Sight since found deal in a few. Have a mix of Gen 2+ and thermal monoculars and wife said to give her a list with my top choices for Christmas with most expensive choices and a second list with less expensive options. Thus far given her two model numbers. The PS15-WPT Gen 3 white phosphorus with 45/54 lp/mm and the PS15-2 Gen 2+ with dual tubes and 51-64 lp/mm. Both are waterproof, operate from -50 to 150.

When look at a pair of dual tube milspec goggles new with warranty keep seeing prices starting at $8,000 for dual imaging tubes and going up to $20,000. No way wife is going to throw over $5k at used optic off fleabay and we have been very satisfied with all out ATN Gen 2+ night vision devices and at LGS only had one return fairly sure was operator induced and ATN covered it quickly and without any questions. Have basically told wife if the Gen 3 WPT are more than she will pay don't see point in the Gen 2+ goggles unless she wants my number one monocular which is an ATN Gen 2+ monocular.

Other option is putting a Gen 3 PVS 14 on the list with end goal of eventually buying a second to match and bridging kit. I have one WPT scope and seems like when back off from the black and white image it takes more time to regain full night vision as opposed to the green and black of my Gen 2+ devices. Have more night vision and thermal than need but if world goes sideways whoever sees best after dark will have huge advantage. Know we have a lot of night vision experts here and personally past the better Gen 2+ devices don't have much personal experience and buying housings, finding tubes and cobbling together a night vision system is not my gig, would rather buy best canned, out of the box with warranty system in our budget.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote