Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > The Sharper Side

Notices

Old September 25, 2018, 11:32   #1
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
WTK tightening leather washer handle

Came across a nice old PAL HH24 knife at a yard sale for chump change. It has cleaned up very nicely but it has the common stacked leather washer type handle and while the leather is in good shape, it is a little loose. Is there anyway to tighten it back up, maybe something that would "remoisturize" or re-expand the washers ?

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018, 12:21   #2
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
A soak in neatsfoot oil or CLP maybe?

Maybe even a good slathering of Pecard's Leather Dressing would swell the washers up enough to tighten them up.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018, 14:13   #3
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

I was thinking along those lines, just not sure what the best bath would be .

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
Old September 25, 2018, 18:49   #4
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Saddle soap to clean it; Pecard's, Sno Seal, or Obenauf's to treat it.

I tried this on a Portuguese Comandos Especiais knife. Worked well, but the leather is never going to regain 100% of its original dimensions, and I still had to tighten the nut in the pommel.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018, 21:26   #5
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Thanks, Lew, good info

This little critter isn't really too bad, I don't think it will take much to resolve the problem, and if it doesn't, it's still perfectly useable as-is. Exterior of the grip is dark, of course, but show almost no wear. Not bad for a buck !

Old September 28, 2018, 12:03   #6
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Happy to help. I had the leather soaking for a couple weeks, so do be patient, as that old leather will take it's sweet time.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
Old September 28, 2018, 16:45   #7
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Personally,,I dont relish the idea of water soaking a leather handle on a skinny tang carbon steel knife...Sounds kind of like soaking a rifle with a shrunk wood stock to me..
Since yours 'isent too bad', maybe it will be ok.

I had an old original 6" pilots knife that had a very shrunk stacked leather handle,,tried everything and never had much luck making it better..I ended up just making a new one. It was pretty easy actually, the worst part of it was making a correct size rectangular punch for the tang holes and getting the butt cap off past the staked threading..

Good luck and let us know how it works out..
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2018, 17:03   #8
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Saddle soap to clean it; Pecard's, Sno Seal, or Obenauf's to treat it.

I tried this on a Portuguese Comandos Especiais knife. Worked well, but the leather is never going to regain 100% of its original dimensions, and I still had to tighten the nut in the pommel.
The good thing about SnoSeal is you can heat up the piece, slather it on, and let is soak in and disappear. Then, repeat the process until the leather won't absorb any more SnoSeal.
Once that beeswax sets up in the stack, it ought to feel pretty solid.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2018, 18:16   #9
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Stand it up in a glass full of 100% Neatsfoot Oil. Let it set for a couple days then start slowly squeezing it. You can get it at Tractor Supply, Co-Op or just about any place that sells feed.
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2018, 10:36   #10
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Personally,,I dont relish the idea of water soaking a leather handle on a skinny tang carbon steel knife.
Who mentioned anything about water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
The good thing about SnoSeal is you can heat up the piece, slather it on, and let is soak in and disappear. Then, repeat the process until the leather won't absorb any more SnoSeal.
Once that beeswax sets up in the stack, it ought to feel pretty solid.
Good point. Low heat can be used with any of the above-listed leather dressings.

Old October 03, 2018, 14:05   #11
JColdIron
Registered

FALaholic #: 24587
I use Tandy Hide Rejuvenator on all my leather stuff. Cleans, demolds,waterproofs and reconditions really well. I have some reenactment stuff that has been through hell and this keeps it in the field. It's mostly Lanolin and beeswax. Not slimy or smelly. Been using it for over 30 years.

Hide Rejuvenator at Amazon
JColdIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 15:18   #12
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
I think Ballistol might be another good choice for soaking. Will not harm the leather or the metal in the knife.