The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > FALaholics Anonymous > FAL Groups > Wyoming

Notices

Old August 26, 2005, 22:33   #1
762fmj

FALaholic #: 17878
Unhappy Anyone out there????

Hellllllooooo? Is there anyone up here in Wyoming with an FAL besides me?
762fmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2005, 10:37   #2
BULLDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 5488
Hello. I'm in the Denver, CO area. Been known to travel a bit to shoot. How far are you from Denver? It can be lonely sometimes on the high plains.

SEMPER FI
BULLDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 03, 2005, 11:26   #3
762fmj

Hello! It is very lonely. I have people all the time coming up to me wanting to know what kinda rifle I'm shooting. Well, I'm 450 miles from Denver. I live in Buffalo. Oh well. Thanks for chating. Erik
Old September 03, 2005, 13:10   #4
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6
WY has the lowest population desnity of any state IIRC. But the rest of us are out here!

Good luck!

E.M. (Ted) Dannemiller II
1*
EMDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 05, 2005, 11:42   #5
762fmj

Talking

Thats why I live here. People are still "all American" here. Every pickup has a dog in the back and there are at least two rifles hanging in the back window. Best of all, nobody locks anything. The way the rest of our country should be.
Old October 02, 2005, 19:30   #6
RealTeacher
Registered

FALaholic #: 18259
Howdy howdy howdy

I am new to this forum, and new to the cyber world, but I have used and loved FNs for 28 years.

I have a DSA now. I am looking for places to get a few parts. I would like to know the openions of those reading about verious scope mounts, and if anyone knows where to get the old Israeli safetys. They are easier to reach in the shooting position.
Good shooting
RealTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2005, 23:06   #7
spatin
Likes FALs

FALaholic #: 17469
Howdy to you in Wyoming. I'm a FALer in Colorado Springs. Wish I could keep things unlocked around here, but no way to do that here. Too may druggies and wierdos. I'm sure if you look around you will be able to find some other FALers up there. I have one friend who is LE and is definitely into all kinds of firearms and lives up in Wyoming.
Sidney
spatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2005, 10:36   #8
homebrewkid
Registered

FALaholic #: 10958
762fmj...I live in Riverside which is 60 miles south of Rawlins...I to get lots of questions about my FAL at the range...
Old November 02, 2005, 10:53   #9
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6
Is there any place in WY to which a man can retire that doesnt' involve snow and ice between August and May?

E.M. (Ted) Dannemiller II
1*
EMDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2005, 03:44   #10
homebrewkid
Registered

I don't think so...
Old November 16, 2005, 17:41   #11
DirtBagGrunt
Registered

FALaholic #: 18341
howdy indeed! yes 762, there are some of us in wy. I just finished building my hardstock congo a few weeks ago, and would like to catch up with those of you in the casper area.

Email me at : chadandtaresa@bresnan.net
DirtBagGrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2006, 21:28   #12
havoc1969
Registered

FALaholic #: 12190
casper wyoming here!!
havoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2006, 22:04   #13
spatin
Likes FALs

Quote:
Originally posted by havoc1969
casper wyoming here!!
I am just about 2/3 through "Molon Labe" and I think I really like Wyoming!

Is that just fiction in the book or are there a lot of people up there who think like me? (Libertarians - maybe not members of the party but have the same views)

Are there any good real estate deals up there in the trees?

I was thinking about getting a place for retirement/summer home/retreat, and Wyoming is looking better all the time.

Sidney
Old January 22, 2006, 22:26   #14
havoc1969
Registered

there are many like minded people here, a little distrustful of out of staters when they move here at first, but just being neighborly will overcome that.

land is still cheap here for the most part, though mountain, and heavily forrested land can get pricey.

just be ready for 6 month long winters and lots of wind!!
Old January 22, 2006, 22:31   #15
spatin
Likes FALs

Long winters and lots of wind are nothing new here. Maybe I'll take a trip up there this spring. Whereabouts are you located?
Sidney
Old January 22, 2006, 22:56   #16
havoc1969
Registered

I am in casper, wyoming, central in the state, feel free to contact me by email at havoc1969@hotmail.com

thanks
Old February 13, 2006, 17:48   #17
blueyedfaler
Registered

FALaholic #: 3609
Anyone in the Big Horn basin? Been here 4 months and trying to get to know fellow gun nuts near by.
KO
blueyedfaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2006, 04:48   #18
Harpoon
Registered

FALaholic #: 10017
what's up Wyoming?!

blueyedfaler, did you go to the Appleseed shoot in Worland this past Memorial Day weekend?
Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2006, 15:23   #19
wildwilly
Registered

FALaholic #: 7134
Cheyenne has several fal owners but I thought I was the only one in WY on the Files. Keep shooting
wildwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2007, 23:26   #20
Poccur
Registered

FALaholic #: 9972
Thumbs up Medicine Bow

I have 38 acres (yeh, I know, a drop in the pan by Wyoming standards) beside Medicine Bow.
Plan to head up there in a few weeks and start planting some trees and bushes...get it up and running...

Poccur

Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.
-------------------------------------
English by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
-------------------------------------
"I would say politically I am somewhere between Burt from Tremors and Tackleberry from Police Academy" ....Me
Poccur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2007, 23:37   #21
havoc1969
Registered

Still in casper here, we Wyomingites should get together one of these days!!
Old January 07, 2007, 00:15   #22
spatin
Likes FALs

Wyoming ..

I really need to get up there and do some exploring.

Maybe this spring after all the snow is melted off.

So where would I find a concentration of FAL owners in Wyoming?

If I moved there it would be to a place where there is a lot of FAL owners and where there is a significant pro-gun culture.

Sidney
Old January 08, 2007, 14:39   #23
wildwilly
Registered

Whole state is pro gun except Jackson and the Park. Course the Park has its Elk seasons at least for a few more years. Got a few anti around any city even some in the Guard.
Old February 09, 2007, 16:02   #24
Dirt1042
Registered

FALaholic #: 21859
I'm not in WYO but in Billings, MT. You guys seem to be closer to Billings than other "western" Montanans. I know of a couple of other falers in town, one of them helped me build my imbel.
Old February 09, 2007, 18:33   #25
wildwilly
Registered

By the way Poccur bring your insulated underwear and your fishing rod. Medicine Bow river is a class two trout water. But not fished much and it is suppose to rain and snow sunday which indicates spring is around the corner.
Old March 04, 2007, 21:36   #26
azdave12
Registered

FALaholic #: 18716
Hope you "Wyomingites" welcome an Arizonan gun nut and his wife!!!

We are going up for a "recon" in late May, early June.
Putting our house up for sale in Tucson this month, and already bought a nice new 37' 5th wheel to live in until we find a place to throw out the anchor again.

Been planning this for some time, but my truck (New Dodge 1 ton 4x4) almost getting stolen this last week put the icing on the cake!! (the drug smuggler/coyotes love the big Dodge Rams)

I have 38 remote acres in the mountains here and built a small cabin there....took us a long time to find the right piece of property that would go "unmolested" of border issues. Hate to say it, but it will probably get sold too!! Can't handle the "invasion" going on here and all the negative "side" effects.
When I leave here....I won't even look in the rear view mirror.

I was born/raised in Michigan and the wife is from Ohio so hopefully if we stay a winter we "might" survive
azdave12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2007, 16:11   #27
Toten Kopf
Registered

FALaholic #: 19721
Quote:
Originally posted by havoc1969
Still in casper here, we Wyomingites should get together one of these days!!
Howdy Pard'ner...

I just moved to Douglas, about 58 miles south-east of you (I own property in Sheridan), don't have a FAL yet, however, I'll be getting one next month (July). Buying in FTF deal.

All I have been doing for the last 3 months is driving back and forth from Pennsylvania to Wyoming (3600 miles round trip) hauling all our stuff in a 7x14 enclosed trailer.

I don't know much about the FAL (I will get to know it better once I have one), but I do build AK's and assemble AR15's. I've been by the Converse County Shooting Ranges but haven't joined yet.

Most of my shooting stuff in still here in Pennsylvania as that will be the last thing to load. Anytime you'd like to get together and do some shooting, AK building, AR assembling or reloading just let me know.
Toten Kopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2007, 22:35   #28
ProGun1
Registered

FALaholic #: 44
I'm here in Casper (CPR) on a temporary assignment until 7-14. So far a great trip. I've seen a lot of the countryside within a 100 miles of here on a daily basis. Almost tore up the rented Corolla touring the Hole In The Wall and the Red Cliffs. Stunning scenery. Went through Wind River Canyon this past Sunday. I'm going to Cody for the antique gun show and the museum of course this weekend. I've got to find at least one bull skull or an arrowhead or my trip won't be complete. So much to see and I still have to work, darnnit.
ProGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2007, 22:42   #29
ProGun1
Registered

There are a boat load of Prong Horns here. I had no idea there would be so many and out in the open as well. Not that thay have much of a choice I guess? Mule deer, bull snakes, gophers, eagles, rabbits of course and some little nervous mouse with a long tail. Is that a kangaroo mouse or some such creature? You got loads of wildlife here. Just lucky I didn't see a bear or cougar in the Outlaw Canyon area. Couldn't travel with any protection.

You folks had your share of fires on Casper mountain and the Outlaw Canyon as well. I saw the same damage up in the Black Hills two weeks ago. No wonder folks congregate away from the trees. I'd rather live by them but then that's the risk I suppose.
Old June 20, 2007, 22:51   #30
ProGun1
Registered

What else besides scenery and wildlife here? Loads still. Indian pecto, picto, pictures on the wall, Dinosaur finds, fossils, gems, Independence Rock, Oregon Trail, etc.etc.etc. Don't want to give too much away. You might have more visitors and they might stay and jack up the real estate and deface the countryside with tract housing. I live in Georgia. Ask me how that happened and how it sucks daily. I love the open county but a few more trees couldn't hurt for shade and wind screen.
Old June 22, 2007, 11:00   #31
Toten Kopf
Registered

You failed to mention Wyoming's greatest asset...it's people.

Everyone I have met was just great. Easy to talk with and they "USE" guns!
Old June 22, 2007, 22:42   #32
ProGun1
Registered

That's a slight on my part. The folks here are the friendliest I've met in a while. Yes sir, no sir, thank you, you're welcome... They use those words sincerely. Good people.
Old August 22, 2007, 08:36   #33
salty
Registered

FALaholic #: 20347
Sorry to dispell the newbies notion of Wyoming but everyone doesn't drive around with rifles in a rifle rack in fact the are very few vestages left. It is not much different than anywhere else - more anti's - in particular with all the implants moving in. Difference is the people are more spread out but there are new CA starter castles being built in every area and more no trespassing signs put up everyday.
salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2007, 10:53   #34
Toten Kopf
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by salty
Sorry to dispell the newbies notion of Wyoming but everyone doesn't drive around with rifles in a rifle rack in fact the are very few vestages left. It is not much different than anywhere else - more anti's - in particular with all the implants moving in. Difference is the people are more spread out but there are new CA starter castles being built in every area and more no trespassing signs put up everyday.
Some of what you say is true, but a lot of the CA types don't stay. For them, the summers are to hot and the winters to cold. They don't like the smell of cattle or the dirt roads. Also, the CA attitude doesn't sit well with most folks and they end up being "outcasts".

As for the "No Tresspassing" signs, well I have another option, most people who come here to hunt, fish, or camp don't know or care about what some call the "Code of the West", they trash up places, cut new roads on private land. So what does the land owner do? Put up signs. In most instances, I've found that even if there is "No Tresspassing" signs, if you ask the land owner and you're local, they will let you have access to their property.

If you allow the "vestages" to disappear, they will. And yes, I might be new to Wyoming but our family tree harkins here from the mid 1800's. You just might say that I'm coming home. I still have a lot to learn but I'm with the right people to help me out. I don't lie, cheat or steal, I've served in the military and I shoot guns, for most Wyomingites, that is a respectable resum'e.
Old September 11, 2007, 11:17   #35
wildwilly
Registered

It's true times have changed. I have lived in cheyenne over 30 years and was packing for elk hunting trip. Camper loaded with stuff. I was running out of room so I put cell phone in toyota glove box and threw a sack of ammo 357-44mag-270-338, 22 long rifle on the floor. Some one unlocked truck (according to police really easy) and took cell phone (would only run on truck charger) but left over $100 dollars of ammo laying right under it.
I figure a young import from somewhere in a hurry.
Old September 11, 2007, 21:38   #36
spatin
Likes FALs

I just made my first foray into Wyoming from Colorado Springs. We stopped in Casper, Sheridan, Thermopolis, Jackson, and then a little run through Idaho before heading home. Wyoming sure is a beautiful state, and big. There's lots of room there for everyone who wants to be there. Except maybe in Jackson.
Sidney
Old September 12, 2007, 08:42   #37
wildwilly
Registered

You got that right just bring your own water!
Old September 13, 2007, 05:52   #38
Toten Kopf
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by wildwilly
You got that right just bring your own water!
Amen to that. One of the CA types built a "BIG" home (near Sheridan) and didn't worry about where the water was going to come from. The house had 2 hot tubs and more water using items than most hotels.

Bottom line, they could only get 2gpm from their well. Now they're moving away and the house just sits there. No one will buy it because of the well problem. And having a cistern is a pain in the ass.
Old December 13, 2007, 21:49   #39
troubleticket
Registered

FALaholic #: 20871
up here for sure!

Well, I finally made it.

In Rawlins, great local range. Nice folks.

WY
troubleticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2008, 01:13   #40
homebrewkid
Registered

Re: up here for sure!

Quote:
Originally posted by troubleticket
Well, I finally made it.

In Rawlins, great local range. Nice folks.
Hey....I live in the Riverside/Encampment area and work for Union Pacific out of Rawlins.

I have heard good things about the Rawlins range but I shoot at the Saratoga range or in the mountains.

Give me a shout!!! Would give me an excuse to shoot my FAL more!!!!

Last edited by homebrewkid; January 01, 2008 at 01:20.
homebrewkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2008, 21:17   #41
WyoRanger
Registered

FALaholic #: 33563
Havoc, you still out there? I'm in Casper myself, but new to the files. I've been in Wyoming for a year now, and I can honestly say that I feel more at home here than any place I've lived since growing up in Idaho. Don't think I'll ever leave permanently. Rawlins isn't too far to meet fellow FALers, and you guys do have a pretty good range.

As for the pronghorn, I've heard that antelope outnumber humans in Wyoming 2 or 3 to 1. Seems about right.
WyoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2008, 22:31   #42
blueyedfaler
Registered

FALaholic #: 3609
Checking in from Hyattville, any of you from around the Big Horn basin?
blueyedfaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2008, 13:26   #43
Harpoon
Registered

Another Wyoming brother checking in! I'm in the Black Hills area.
I've been to shoots at Worland, Guernsey, and Douglas. Some great ranges here!
Old April 24, 2008, 14:19   #44
wildwilly
Registered

getting enought fal persons out here to think we may have to show up at one of the Guernsey shoots they hold. If I can get away!
Old May 05, 2008, 23:54   #45
funfaler
Registered

FALaholic #: 12271
Anyone of you folks interested in a FREE Appleseed Shoot?

You can go here to read about it Best of the West, FREE Appleseed Program.

These shoots are great fun and very informative.

Hope to see a bunch of you there!
Old May 06, 2008, 00:04   #46
Harpoon
Registered

Yup, I'm going to try and make the Douglas one. Woo hoo!!
Old May 06, 2008, 00:09   #47
spatin
Likes FALs

I plan on going to Appleseed too.

Please send details when they are concrete.

Y'all try to come to FAL Fest!

May 30 31 June 1

Third event.

Always fun.

If you are going to come, go to the FAL Fest 2008 thread and sign up.

Sidney
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual ... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, ... or "taken care of."
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp
http://www.a-human-right.com/effective.html

“Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” - Benjamin Franklin

Donations are gratefully accepted.
Old May 06, 2008, 00:29   #48
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally posted by spatin
I plan on going to Appleseed too.

Please send details when they are concrete.

Y'all try to come to FAL Fest!

May 30 31 June 1

Third event.

Always fun.

If you are going to come, go to the FAL Fest 2008 thread and sign up.

Sidney
Like Sidney says, come on down to FALFEST III in sunny Raton, NM...

We'll all have fun...

And, like Sidney, I'm casting my eyes north (also, currently, from Colorado Springs) towards Wyoming too...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2008, 00:33   #49
spatin
Likes FALs

Yep, the Molon Labe state.
I like it too.
Just wish I could find a little place for a small farm for me and my chickens.
- without wind blowing me down all the time -
Sidney

Quote:
Originally posted by ftierson

Like Sidney says, come on down to FALFEST III in sunny Raton, NM...

We'll all have fun...

And, like Sidney, I'm casting my eyes north (also, currently, from Colorado Springs) towards Wyoming too...

Forrest
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual ... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, ... or "taken care of."
- Suzanna Gratia-Hupp
http://www.a-human-right.com/effective.html

“Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” - Benjamin Franklin

Donations are gratefully accepted.
Old December 27, 2008, 12:38   #50
troubleticket
Registered

FALaholic #: 20871
wind

The wind blows away the snow, and the riff-raff.

WY
troubleticket is offline   Reply With Quote