Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old February 20, 2018, 07:05   #201
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
a) Awesome, Matt. That's great to know. Like Bruce said, eliminates you being stuck with a ton of extra shirts.

b) Bryan I was starting to have the same thought. I'm 125. 25% is 31.25lbs which is really not a big stretch from the 25lbs I carried at Tiger's match in Nov. Granted I do have a lighter AR this time around but I can always go back to old faithful. I'd need to do the math on how much I'd need to carry to still end up at 25% (i.e. bc I'm shedding ammo and hate on the course) but it's starting to seem like a viable option from gamer perspective
Did you say Garand?
TedKennedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018, 07:19   #202
beseventeen
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
Did you say Garand?
wouldn't that be fun
beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018, 07:32   #203
beseventeen
Registered
Contributor

So I didn't know where else to put this, it sort of goes along with training for run and guns...I know how you guys like AARs!

I did a "walk and gun" (ok, march and gun!) this past weekend, the Bushnell Sniper Challenge. It was a three day event. Three divisions, LRRP (stay out on course the whole time and camp) Trooper (ruck between stages but sleep in hotel) and Mechanized (drive from stage to stage). My partner and I did the Trooper division. We took off at 0515 every day, rucked to a stage, shot, rucked again, etc. Wrapped up at dark every day. We ended up doing about 20-25 miles at a 15:00-15:30 pace.

I had an absolute blast...seriously loved this. I liked that it was physical like run and gunning - but not AS bad, it was more enjoyable at a marching pace instead of balls to the wall running lol. Like I never had that, "I kind of want to die" feeling I do in the middle of an RNG.

The stage design was great. My partner and I are still very new to long range and we are also too literal...so we definitely got burnt on a couple stages. I love how this teaches you to think outside the box though. We learned a TON. We had practiced quite a bit but as you know sometimes you just have to go out and make mistakes under the clock to really learn the lesson.

Like the fact that our LRF does not work so great in the rain/fog...she was trying to range targets for me on the clock and couldn't get ANYTHING on them. I ended up taking a stab at how far they were (we did not have target sizes so couldn't mill them), dialed, and still hit 3/5 by chance at 750-950 yds off of this SUV:

This was a cool stage too, it was like three mini stages in one. We shot a KYL paper target at 100 yds, some tiny steel at 200-300, and then traded rifles and shot the high tech CMP targets (the ones that show you your hits immediately - cool!!)

It was really cool to just pack up all your stuff and have to live out of your pack for 12 hours, dealing with the hot and cold and rain. I had a Vorn Lynx. It was awesome - don't know if you've seen the quick release rifle system on it but it was perfect for what we were doing. All of my gear was about 42lbs. Almost every stage had you start with rifle bagged or slung, and it was really easy to get out of the pack quickly. I could have used a slightly larger bag - it was stuffed to the brim. I wasn't able to bring rain gear aside from a rain coat, and when we had a two hour wait in the middle of a field on a rainy 50 deg afternoon I wasn't too happy. I just curled up under my coat and ate all of my snacks to take my mind off the cold

I want to do the camping/LRRP next time for sure. Just figured we'd start with the Trooper/ruck to get our feet wet and see what worked and what didn't.

I'm going to stick with my rifle for now because it was kind of expensive, but in the future I'd like to build something lighter. I think this one is 16-17lbs with that remage barrel. There was one stage for instance we could have grossly benefited from shooting offhand. We spent a lot of time building a position to shoot out the window and it never even occurred to me to shoot it off hand because I never practice that with that rifle.

Matt was asking me what I have, it's a 700rem short action with a remage barrel from NSS. I have a DMRii scope and it's in a grayboe renegade stock. 6.5 CM. My partner shot a 3 gun set up AR in .223 (one had to be a .223 caliber the other was almost unlimited).

We timed out on several stages - so we learned a ton about a better way to get into position, assess targets and divide up the work. It was a surprise to me that everything was shot blind, we got stage briefs but you couldn't preview the stages at all. I am so not used to that and it did throw off my game a little bit! I'm used to 3 gun where we walk through and air gun it 45 times. We still managed to finish 31/50 overall and seventh in our division so we got to walk the prize table!! We picked up about $300 or so worth of goodies.

This was the first time we had shot together as a team...I mean hell I only met her once before!! But our personalities were very compatible and it will be a great thing to develop on. Aside from the match we truly had a lot of fun which is the big thing.

I definitely want to do more of this!! I am trying to get her to go to purgatory with me. I want to do that for SURE this year.

Here is one of the awesome stages. They had us start in a suburban with a roll cage - they rolled us over in it. Then we had to shoot pistol, de-ass the truck, and go run to shoot long range. Never done anything like that before!! they had a go pro mounted inside;
Old February 20, 2018, 10:20   #204
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Excellent AAR! I'm hoping to do Mammoth in 2019. Looks like Bushnell may go on the list for next year as well. Sounds like you did fantastic for a "new" to long range shooter.
ElTigre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018, 11:05   #205
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
That is badass!!!

We are still not allowed to use real vehicles on RBGC ranges.

All props must be wood.

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018, 13:16   #206
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
That might just be the coolest match video I've seen! Thanks for the rifle details - I've got a Rem 700 short action .308 with 20" heavy barrel in a Bell & Carlson stock with Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x scope and I've been trying to decide if it could play this game or not.
Old February 20, 2018, 14:19   #207
beseventeen
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
That might just be the coolest match video I've seen! Thanks for the rifle details - I've got a Rem 700 short action .308 with 20" heavy barrel in a Bell & Carlson stock with Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x scope and I've been trying to decide if it could play this game or not.
Would depend on weight methinks. I don't wanna be shouldering anything more than say, 12lbs or so on a RnG application.
Old February 20, 2018, 21:55   #208
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
It's the Indian. But you already know that.

Calling wind at 950 yards is no joke. Your rifle is good enough.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018, 22:00   #209
ElTigre
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post

And my guess is you're definitely good enough.
Old February 20, 2018, 22:35   #210
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Show me in a video!
Not me in the video but the techniques is quite appropriate

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018, 22:36   #211
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post

That's the other issue. How long are the shots, and how small are the targets? My range is limited before I go transonic out of this 20" barrel - but it sure is handy to carry around.

And more importantly, can my marriage survive yet another hobby???
Old February 20, 2018, 22:38   #212
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Not me in the video but the techniques is quite appropriate
That is pretty funny.
Old February 20, 2018, 22:45   #213
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Anything over 600 yards calls for a not so light rifle shooting decently heavy bullets.

That match sounds like fun. And that rollover stage was freaking cool.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:36   #214
jcornss
Registered

FALaholic #: 37954
Quote:
So I didn't know where else to put this, it sort of goes along with training for run and guns...I know how you guys like AARs!

I did a "walk and gun" (ok, march and gun!) this past weekend, the Bushnell Sniper Challenge. It was a three day event. Three divisions, LRRP (stay out on course the whole time and camp) Trooper (ruck between stages but sleep in hotel) and Mechanized (drive from stage to stage). My partner and I did the Trooper division. We took off at 0515 every day, rucked to a stage, shot, rucked again, etc. Wrapped up at dark every day. We ended up doing about 20-25 miles at a 15:00-15:30 pace.

I had an absolute blast...seriously loved this. I liked that it was physical like run and gunning - but not AS bad, it was more enjoyable at a marching pace instead of balls to the wall running lol. Like I never had that, "I kind of want to die" feeling I do in the middle of an RNG.

The stage design was great. My partner and I are still very new to long range and we are also too literal...so we definitely got burnt on a couple stages. I love how this teaches you to think outside the box though. We learned a TON. We had practiced quite a bit but as you know sometimes you just have to go out and make mistakes under the clock to really learn the lesson.

Like the fact that our LRF does not work so great in the rain/fog...she was trying to range targets for me on the clock and couldn't get ANYTHING on them. I ended up taking a stab at how far they were (we did not have target sizes so couldn't mill them), dialed, and still hit 3/5 by chance at 750-950 yds off of this SUV:

This was a cool stage too, it was like three mini stages in one. We shot a KYL paper target at 100 yds, some tiny steel at 200-300, and then traded rifles and shot the high tech CMP targets (the ones that show you your hits immediately - cool!!)

It was really cool to just pack up all your stuff and have to live out of your pack for 12 hours, dealing with the hot and cold and rain. I had a Vorn Lynx. It was awesome - don't know if you've seen the quick release rifle system on it but it was perfect for what we were doing. All of my gear was about 42lbs. Almost every stage had you start with rifle bagged or slung, and it was really easy to get out of the pack quickly. I could have used a slightly larger bag - it was stuffed to the brim. I wasn't able to bring rain gear aside from a rain coat, and when we had a two hour wait in the middle of a field on a rainy 50 deg afternoon I wasn't too happy. I just curled up under my coat and ate all of my snacks to take my mind off the cold

I want to do the camping/LRRP next time for sure. Just figured we'd start with the Trooper/ruck to get our feet wet and see what worked and what didn't.

I'm going to stick with my rifle for now because it was kind of expensive, but in the future I'd like to build something lighter. I think this one is 16-17lbs with that remage barrel. There was one stage for instance we could have grossly benefited from shooting offhand. We spent a lot of time building a position to shoot out the window and it never even occurred to me to shoot it off hand because I never practice that with that rifle.

Matt was asking me what I have, it's a 700rem short action with a remage barrel from NSS. I have a DMRii scope and it's in a grayboe renegade stock. 6.5 CM. My partner shot a 3 gun set up AR in .223 (one had to be a .223 caliber the other was almost unlimited).

We timed out on several stages - so we learned a ton about a better way to get into position, assess targets and divide up the work. It was a surprise to me that everything was shot blind, we got stage briefs but you couldn't preview the stages at all. I am so not used to that and it did throw off my game a little bit! I'm used to 3 gun where we walk through and air gun it 45 times. We still managed to finish 31/50 overall and seventh in our division so we got to walk the prize table!! We picked up about $300 or so worth of goodies.

This was the first time we had shot together as a team...I mean hell I only met her once before!! But our personalities were very compatible and it will be a great thing to develop on. Aside from the match we truly had a lot of fun which is the big thing.

I definitely want to do more of this!! I am trying to get her to go to purgatory with me. I want to do that for SURE this year.

Here is one of the awesome stages. They had us start in a suburban with a roll cage - they rolled us over in it. Then we had to shoot pistol, de-ass the truck, and go run to shoot long range. Never done anything like that before!! they had a go pro mounted inside;
That looks better on the inside than my suburban lol
jcornss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:53   #215
ElTigre
Registered

Quote:
That's the other issue. How long are the shots, and how small are the targets? My range is limited before I go transonic out of this 20" barrel - but it sure is handy to carry around.

Take her along as your partner! Also, when are you going transonic? Can you get to 1000 yards?
Old Yesterday, 12:28   #216
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTigre View Post
Take her along as your partner! Also, when are you going transonic? Can you get to 1000 yards?
It's right on the edge at 1,000. I shot a 1,000 yd match with it many years ago and really struggled. I couldn't get a clear answer from the pits if my bullets were still cracking or not - so I'm not sure if I struggled because my bullets were going transonic or because 1,000 yds is A REALLY LONG WAYS!!!

At 600 yds it does fine.
Old Yesterday, 12:38   #217
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Quote:
It's right on the edge at 1,000. I shot a 1,000 yd match with it many years ago and really struggled. I couldn't get a clear answer from the pits if my bullets were still cracking or not - so I'm not sure if I struggled because my bullets were going transonic or because 1,000 yds is A REALLY LONG WAYS!!!

At 600 yds it does fine.
If you want to team up and do this next year, I will run the Savage and you can run the AR10!

Last edited by Nuttz; Yesterday at 12:49.
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:25   #218
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
If you want to team up and do this next year, I will run the Savage and you can run the AR10!
But I can't run the AR10. According to most rulesets I've seen, the support shooter must shoot .223. You gonna make me wear a skirt and lipstick too???
Old Yesterday, 14:32   #219
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
Quote:
But I can't run the AR10. According to most rulesets I've seen, the support shooter must shoot .223. You gonna make me wear a skirt and lipstick too???
I have a Mini-14 you can borrow if you want to look more manly with a .22.
TedKennedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:49   #220
beseventeen
Registered
Contributor

Quote:

What do you mean by another hobby? Shooting is shooting. Right? That's why I have 20 different firearms depending on what I'm doing...

Most targets were 2 MOA. Some generously sized 3 MOA and one stage with 1 MOA.
Old Yesterday, 15:03   #221
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
You can run my SIG MCX then. And we can BOTH run in Kilts!
Old Yesterday, 15:04   #222
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
What do you mean by another hobby? Shooting is shooting. Right? That's why I have 20 different firearms depending on what I'm doing...

Most targets were 2 MOA. Some generously sized 3 MOA and one stage with 1 MOA.
Old Yesterday, 16:29   #223
kotengu
Registered

Enough about skirts and bolt rifles - back to the Run N Gun!

Reminder: you will need a light of some kind to navigate and shoot in the cave (Stage 3). If you show up without a light you will not be allowed to shoot and will be given a zero for the stage. Weaponlights are fine to shoot with, but you'll also need a separate light to navigate parts of the cave before the shooting starts. I don't care if you carry a giant spotlight with a 12V truck battery, but you must carry it for the entire course!

If you've never been to the cave before, here's a preview video from last year (the names are different, but the basics are the same this year) that will give you a better idea what to expect:

Old Yesterday, 20:50   #224
beseventeen
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Wait where does the skirt and lipstick come in???

You know what I was thinking is funny, is how we all rub off on each other here (can it, Jimmy....). I didn't even know RNGs were a thing until I read about this match in March '17. It was too late to go to it then, so I found out about Pawnee, and thought man, I want to make that happen. Now I'm obsessed with RNG.

Then I saw brunop talking about a sniper match in like, July '17 (out west somewhere) and I was like, holy crap, that sounds amazing, I want to do that. So I got into long range and did a couple things here and there and then did my first sniper match.

What else are you guys holding out on????? It's like I find out about the best gun adventures on FALfiles..