The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old February 14, 2018, 07:27   #1
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
Hog hunts

Hey are there any Filers from the southeast, that know of any good places to go Hog hunting. We're not looking for big trophy animals, just some meat hogs, and a good time. The few places that I've found on line, are booked up until May, and costly. We'd like to get down there while the weather is still cool. We used to have a friend down in Florida that had hounds. Used to hunt with him. A lot of fun. But he died of cancer a few years back. It always seems to get the good ones. Any help would be appreciated.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 09:24   #2
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
Hardly SE, but Texas and Oklahoma are ate up with hogs. Might be cheaper to travel a little farther and take advantage of that.
TedKennedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 10:28   #3
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
Saw this online... 3 hogs for $250... not a bad deal.

http://www.tigerislandhoghunts.com
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 21:21   #4
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 799
Thanks for helping with these pest. My Grandson now has a Florida lifetime license I bought him and pigs are on the menu first! Gonna use an AR-15 with bronze/copper bullets.
Old February 15, 2018, 01:19   #5
Registered

Thanks pl521. I'll check out the site. I hadn't seen that one. Tx. an Ok. do intrigue me. I'll need to talk with the crew on traveling out there.
Old February 15, 2018, 17:30   #6
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Hog hunts aren't what they used to be.. Most people, especially in Texas where there isn't any public land, have realized that they can charge people to hunt on their land and they are now running it as a business.. Everyone wants to get rid of hogs but not really get rid of hogs if you know what I mean.
Old February 15, 2018, 19:11   #7
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Everyone wants to get rid of hogs but not really get rid of hogs if you know what I mean.
Guy can't shoot for shit at first but catches on. Looks fun

Last edited by gentlemanjoe; February 15, 2018 at 19:23.
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2018, 04:02   #8
Registered

I checked out the tiger island hunt. It's only a 4 hour hunt. We were hoping to spend a bit more time than that, since it is a 23 hour drive down there. I'll keep looking.
Old February 17, 2018, 07:39   #9
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Hog hunts aren't what they used to be.. Most people, especially in Texas where there isn't any public land, have realized that they can charge people to hunt on their land and they are now running it as a business.. Everyone wants to get rid of hogs but not really get rid of hogs if you know what I mean.
I did not know there were not public lands in TX

Also, I have heard some people actually do breed them so their customers have something to shoot at. And then those hogs flees their lands and go infest others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1769 View Post
I checked out the tiger island hunt. It's only a 4 hour hunt. We were hoping to spend a bit more time than that, since it is a 23 hour drive down there. I'll keep looking.
There has to be places in FL for you to hunt at. If I am not mistaken wild hog hunting season there is the entire year.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2018, 08:17   #10
imacoonass01
Registered

FALaholic #: 80275
Texas WMAs

Lots of Public Land to hunt on in Texas.

http://tpwd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...7b49206e8ef153
imacoonass01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:31   #11
Edgartwib
Registered

FALaholic #: 80246
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
Lots of Public Land to hunt on in Texas.

http://tpwd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...7b49206e8ef153
Im not talking shit but thats a joke right!?

The website says Tx has has more than 180 hunting areas spanning 1,000,000 acres.
That's cute. It sounds like a lot but is nothing compared to the size of the great state of Texas. In my experience the public land offerings in Texas is sad actually.

I grew up hunting my families ranch south of Lake Texoma. The public hunting lands were few and far between with extreme pressure full of 'city slickers' as my Uncle used to say. All the primo hunting in Tx is on private land and if you are not related or friends with the owner it will cost you an arm and a leg to gain access.

I feel blessed to be born and raised in the mountains of northern New Mexico surrounded by public land and national forest.
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/hunt...s-information/
"New Mexico contains nine million acres of National Forest and approximately 13 million acres of BLM lands."

The hog hunting in the north is not to good but in central and southern NM
its pretty hot and getting a feral hog tag is OTC for 30 days IIRC. You need to find water or a wallow and you will find the hogs. Chances are also you will not see anybody else either.
Edgartwib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:41   #12
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Might do a search for a hog roundup. Have them occasionally, like the old rattlesnake roundups where the contest is to kill as many of those oinking rats as you can. Might also find folks in Texas looking for people to come kill the things. I hunt my cousin's place (he's VERY private so that would be a hard "no" from him for outsiders). He runs cattle, but he's surrounded by grain farmers. Damned things go out and in a single night can wipe out a couple of acres of maize or corn on his neighbors' places. He asks my brother and I to kill all we can... we do.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote