The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old February 12, 2018, 13:04   #151
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Soft plates will likely be NIJ 3a which won't stop much of the modern handgun ammo people carry now. Hard plates or semi-rigid are much higher threat rated in general. It's what your goal is. I mix soft armor with rigid plates as feel the need. If on a budget it's best to save your money and be sure you buy armor you want first try rather than buy something you can't tolerate and have to try again. Most of my customers come to me after buying a set of steel plates.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2018, 14:08   #152
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
In fourth day of checking all batteries in radios, flashlights and other small devices. So far have topped off eleven handi-talkies and now working on refresh cycles for their spare batteries. Have gathered all flashlights from trucks and packs for checking. If batteries don't test above 70% to 80% reserve capacity they go on refresh. If under 70% they see a full charge, refresh or break-in cycle based on their measured voltage and amperage in relation to rated maximum.

So far have almost every device minus a few strays loaded with fresh batteries. This includes remotes for t.v., stereo and other small devices. Picture below shows charged batteries in basket on right and batteries for service in left basket plus two chargers running not counting chargers on other dresser. While have a couple four packs of AA and AAA's in my backpack, truck console, desks at work etc realize really only have enough batteries to swap every device once and unless able to charge as go would be dead in SHTF scenario of needing batteries fast while grid is down and trying to possibly run silent and conserve my big battery stacks.

In the charged basket as of this picture when swapped out this morning is 44 AA's and 48 AAA's. Have an even dozen rechargeable CR 123's which won't keep night vision running long as run lithium batteries most time in night vision as are full voltage for longer through reserve capacity, last 4 times longer than alkaline, 8 times longer run time than nicads and almost half the weight. Some of my more mission critical AA and AAA equipment that keep batteries in for long periods unchecked the lithium have shelf life up to ten years and seldom corrode or rupture. That said on today's list is swing in Batteries Plus and grab another couple dozen or so AAA's, dozen AA's and CR 123 nicads if have that many in stock. Many of my rechargeable nicads carry pre Y2K dates and it won't hurt to have a fresh supply as want enough to swap every single device twice or high use devices several times before have to charge batteries.

Tag another $200 to $300 in batteries on this week's expenses but as get 20 plus years out of them using quality chargers and proper break-in, refresh, multi-cycle discharge/recharge cycles good nicads and good chargers are a bargain. To know batteries buy today will possibly still be in service after I die is a comfort. More in the system and less stress on each cell plus newer nicads have much longer lifespan than those in the past. If you could not buy fresh batteries for say five years how many could keep their flashlights and radios working? If notice in pile are a few AA and AAA battery packs for my handheld radios. Any Icom, Motorola, Kenwood or Yaesu radio can get a AA/AAA battery housing for or battery box that plugs into power port on side of radio gets at least one, usually two so have to take my OEM radio batteries stopping taking a charge into consideration. Inventory exactly how many batteries you need, bet most need well over 100 total and have double that in rechargeables plus keep them maintained. Gotta be prepped for that EMP, grid collapse, SHTF whatever at all times. Don't get caught with dim lights and dead radios.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote