The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old Today, 09:27   #1
Glucker
Registered

FALaholic #: 12384
WTK: Fix dryer or replace it?

The GE clothes dryer that was included when I bought my home almost nine years ago isn't heating like it used to. Sometimes have to run the cycle twice to get my Wally World polo shirts all the way dry. I have no idea how old it is. Have cleaned the lint trap and vent hose front, back, and upside down, they are unobstructed. It otherwise works fine.
My question is, in such a case is it often a matter of merely changing out a heating element, relatively simple fix kind of thing and then good as new, or is it considered dead and not worth fixing?
As always, I appreciate any feedback.
Old Today, 09:30   #2
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Replacing an electric heating element on most dryers is usually a fairly simple job.

Youtube has a lot of videos on appliance repairs if you've never done it.
Old Today, 09:30   #3
biyf
Registered

FALaholic #: 41593
Heating element can be bought on ebay or amazon and would probably be 20 or 30 bucks. I put one in our dryer about 10 years ago (the original went out after 7 or 8 years) and it's still going strong.
biyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:32   #4
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
What Invictus and biyf suggest sounds simple enough, give it a try. IMO-

For a dryer nearly a decade old, I'd wait until a Lowes or Home Depot has a sale and replace it. To be fair when it comes to things like that I get impatient and just want it done, even if it means buying a brand new, whatever it is. Lots of other folks are happy to do trial and error to keep something running (which sometimes is just the ticket).

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:01   #5
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I go to Craigslist and find one that is like new and buy them from people moving away. 10 year old dryers are pretty much done. Next you'll have an issue the drive line or something.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:06   #6
JColdIron
Registered

FALaholic #: 24587
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
What Invictus and biyf suggest sounds simple enough, give it a try. IMO-

For a dryer nearly a decade old, I'd wait until a Lowes or Home Depot has a sale and replace it. To be fair when it comes to things like that I get impatient and just want it done, even if it means buying a brand new, whatever it is. Lots of other folks are happy to do trial and error to keep something running (which sometimes is just the ticket).
I'd rather repair an older one than buy new. Build quality is going down every year with the expectation of replacement. Add in current digital controls and membrane switches... no thanks!

But we are still running a washer that is 20 years old and a dryer that is probably over 30. I've replaced parts over time but nowhere near the cost of something new.

If you end up wanting to buy something look at Craigslist. We have been shopping for my wife's parents as they relocate to our area. W/D combos are generally half the price of new there, some with little use. Just got to google the model number to be sure they are not a lemon design.
JColdIron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:10   #7
Glucker
Registered

FALaholic #: 12384
Thanks for all the info/suggestions gents.

VALMET I'm kind of with you, would rather replace it than screw with it. But then again if it is something I can fix myself (and I am mostly but not completely incompetent in such things) for the cost of a part I don't mind doing that too if it will keep it running a few more years.

I will root around and see if I can find the manual somewhere, otherwise it is off to the Youtube DIY channels.
Old Today, 13:21   #8
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucker View Post
Thanks for all the info/suggestions gents.

VALMET I'm kind of with you, would rather replace it than screw with it. But then again if it is something I can fix myself (and I am mostly but not completely incompetent in such things) for the cost of a part I don't mind doing that too if it will keep it running a few more years.

I will root around and see if I can find the manual somewhere, otherwise it is off to the Youtube DIY channels.
Best of luck. Hopefully it is a quick and simple fix.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:26   #9
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
something to consider on expensive items.

If you every decide to not fix it then find someone that can or will. Give it to them so all they will need to do is to fix it and maybe use it or sell it.

At least the device will have another change of being used instead of end up in the landfill.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:52   #10
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Most electric dryers are fairly simple appliances. I've had mine apart a couple times and it's not terribly difficult. If you can build a FAL or repair a lawn mower then you should be able to repair your dryer.

Everything is held together on mine by screws and bolts. There should be two bolts at the bottom of the front panel that come off. Then the front panel swings outwards and pulls away and now you have access to the inner workings of the dryer. The element on my dryer is nichrome wire inside a galvanized steel shroud on the lower right side of the tumbler. I wasn't replacing the element on mine when I got into it so I don't know what it'd take to get the element out, but removing the tumbler and replacing the bearings I was after wasn't too difficult.

With all this said, I wouldn't spend more than about $50 trying to fix it before you look into a replacement. While repairing it may not be too expensive, there's no point in overhauling a ten year old appliance either.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 16:03   #11
pmf
Registered

FALaholic #: 2923
Nurse it along as long as you can. I just had to replace my washer and dryer last year. They're all low water use. I couldn't find one with an agitator. The wash cycle takes an hour. The dry cycle also takes almost an hour. Tyhe clothes aren't any cleaner than with my old Kenmore stuff that came with the house when I bought it 20 years ago.
pmf is online now   Reply With Quote