Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old July 17, 2019, 21:26   #1
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Aguila .22 versions

What is the difference between Match and Target? And how much better are they from Standard?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 21:37   #2
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I can't say because I never shoot Aguila ammo but you might be able to tell how good it is by what they charge per round. Top quality ammo that shoots straight goes for a premium, look what Aguila sells for on grafs and sons.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2019, 00:48   #3
Bwana John
Registered

FALaholic #: 3810
The only difference between Match and Competion target I can see is in the description the Match is designed for 24" barrels.

The Standard is 50 fps faster than the other two.(1130fps)

I've used the Match and Comp target, it's OK for the price.

I go through a lot of Super Colibre

https://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire/
Old July 19, 2019, 12:45   #4
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Dunno, have not shot any of their good stuff. We shoot a lot of the standard plated Aguila. Daughter’s stock 10/22 likes it a lot. She shot a 238 (out of 250) at an Appleseed last weekend (her new personal high). Another gal there routinely shoots in the 240s with the same ammo, which is why I bought it for my daughter to use. I run lead CCI Blazer and routinely shoot in the mid 230s and occasionally sneak in the high 230s or low 240s my old/fat/half blind self. All this to say that match ammo is sexy and all but I don’t see where I can use it.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2019, 14:22   #5
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I have shot their standard subsonic ammo before and liked it a lot: my shots at 25yd were on the top of each other in my scoped (some lesser brand scope I only bought -- for cheap -- because of the Made in Japan on it) Russian semi. I was wondering if I would get better results with the other stuff
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019, 06:14   #6
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
I’ve been shooting there match pistol and rifle for years, like it more than CCI standard velocity. Get a box and try it.
paulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019, 08:50   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I also picked up another two cases of super colibri for rabbit control.
Old July 20, 2019, 09:31   #8
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I also picked up another two cases of super colibri for rabbit control.
What do you use it in ?
IIRC, It says not to use it in rifles,,and I couldent get it to cycle any of my pistols...
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019, 09:35   #9
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
What do you use it in ?
IIRC, It says not to use it in rifles,,and I couldent get it to cycle any of my pistols...
CZ/BRNO 452 with barrel shortened to 16 and the Euro stock, which I'm starting to like. Also works in Winchester 94/22

Colibri will sometimes get stuck in the barrel but the supers are fine.

I need to find a value priced 22 rifle that I can cut back to 10" and have some kind of barrel shroud to 16". Just for shooting colibris. Was going to get another BRNO but it's out of production and now has some collector interest. New model 457 has changeable barrels -might check those out.

Last edited by gunplumber; July 20, 2019 at 09:41.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019, 10:46   #10
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
CZ/BRNO 452 with barrel shortened to 16 and the Euro stock, which I'm starting to like. Also works in Winchester 94/22

So there is both a colibri and a super colibri ?
I couldent even say which one I tried at this point,,,I ended up giving the rest of the brick away...
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019, 11:24   #11
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:

I need to find a value priced 22 rifle that I can cut back to 10" and have some kind of barrel shroud to 16". Just for shooting colibris. Was going to get another BRNO but it's out of production and now has some collector interest. New model 457 has changeable barrels -might check those out.
Mark, does your CZ rifle look anything like this? I've had good results using the Super Colibris in this CZ/ZKM 468 rifle.

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Texgu...M%20468%201950

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019, 14:42   #12
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Mark, does your CZ rifle look anything like this?
No. And I picked up another one at the show today. A "Super BRNO SAA 2500" Has this ridiculous 28" barrel, but has the correct rings for the receiver dovetail, which is nice.
Old July 20, 2019, 14:46   #13
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
So there is both a colibri and a super colibri ?
I couldent even say which one I tried at this point,,,I ended up giving the rest of the brick away...
Yes

Colibri 375 fps, Super 500 fps

According to some reports on rimfire central, the Colibris tend to be more accurate/consistent.

I'm going to play with them some more. Best shot I've had was a head shot on a rabbit in my driveway at 25 yards, holding a head over. Which is less drop than I expected. Probably lucky for me (not the rabbit).

Certainly louder than the colibri, buit still quieter than a 650 fps piston airgun (I used to use my Feinwerkbau 300s)

Last edited by gunplumber; July 21, 2019 at 09:36.
Old July 20, 2019, 20:29   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Shoot a lot of Aguila ammo. Killed two ground hogs with the 60 grain Sniper Subsonic today. The extra 20 grains of mass gives it enough energy to kill ground hogs easily out to 75 to 90 yards and killed them out to 120 yards if had a really clean shot. Probably use more of it along with thier Target Competition Standard Velocity 40 grain and Subsonic Hollow Point 38 grain than any other unless someone has a big box of Super Colibri on the bench and have shot so much of my ammo in the past figure they owe me. Don't like super high velocity in rimfire. If need to run fast use a Hornet.

My favorite and most used rimfire is almost always a target variety that a particular gun seems to like. CCI Green Tag and Federal Gold Medal Match/Premium Gold Medal, several versions of Ely and SK Long Range Match/Standard Plus usually are what go to the range. Right now I have four match grade 10/22's loaded at each door with Aguila Sniper Subsonic 60 grain and two with SK Long Range for squirrel that are past subsonic range but not to Hornet range. Every door to the house either has a pair of rimfire next to it or a rimfire and a Hornet and my most fired from position all three.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019, 23:15   #15
Bwana John
Registered

FALaholic #: 3810
Neither Colibre or Super Colibre will cycle any auto pistol, unless you lightened the recoil spring, and you would probably need to lighten the bolt also.
Old July 21, 2019, 10:42   #16
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

452 2E ZKMon the left receiver and Super BRNO SAA 2500 on the barrel

the small one is marked 2E on the barrel and just made in Cech on the rec.

The large one is missing rear sight, but I have the one I removed frm the smal one. Front sight is elevation adjustable which is kindof cool.

But why on earth make a 29" .22LR barrel? Won't the bullet start decelerating from friction at 18"? Or maybe that's the point? To make regular .22LR subsonic?

Need to know if this is special before I chop at 16 and thread. A little research says they are rare, but that doesn't make them more valuable. They seem to be $400-$450 just like the other versions. I paid $375 OTD.

Maybe I should keep this one as is and buy another one to chop.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.co...tion-cz-22.jpg

Link not working right now - having some issues with website. Here's an image off the web. There were two versions, one with this stained birch and the one I have with white birch.

https://www.jgsales.com/images/10198...relgssused.JPG

Last edited by gunplumber; July 21, 2019 at 10:58.
Old July 21, 2019, 11:34   #17
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:

Winchester Wildcat. $189 dealer price at RSR. Currently out of stock but I'm patient. Takes 10-22 mags and the whole trigger group drops out for cleaning.

Alternatively, the Ruger American is $263 dealer at RSR and also takes 10-22 mags. Got a shorter stock module inbound for my daughter to use as she loves the .22 with a suppressor... Speaking of which, subsonic .22 reaches a lot further than the Colibri and a suppressor reduces the sound signature to next to nothing. Been shooting suppressed .22 rifles for over 4 decades and you couldn't pay me to shoot one without a can for bunnies.

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2019, 11:43   #18
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gman View Post
Speaking of which, subsonic .22 reaches a lot further than the Colibri
I do have silencers for my .22s, but the purpose of the Super Colibris is that thet DO NOT "reach a lot farther". I don't need a miss to hit my neighbor's house. Downward angle, block wall and low power makes me comfortable shooting the colibris - I would not shoot a regular 22 in my front yard, even suppressed.
Old July 21, 2019, 18:07   #19
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
I’d keep the 452’s as is. I believe CZ stopped making them a few years back. They do offer a 452 American as a special or commemorative and the price reflects it. The 452’s are some fine rifles.
paulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019, 20:25   #20
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Had some time yesterday to test a recent build using Aguila 60 grain Sniper Subsonic. Rifle is built on a Tactical Innovations Elite 22S receiver with the Pike Arms Match Grade Bolt purchased already assembled with the parts Tactical Innovations uses by default except prefer the Pike Super Charging handle as its hard to miss it if charging in a hurry. Fire comtrol system uses a factory Ruger metal trigger housing filled with mix of Ruger, Kidd and Volquartzen fire control parts. This build uses a 18" McGowen 1:9 fast twist Bull Barrel threaded at 5"8"×24 with 11° target crown and was built specifically for shooting 60 grain subsonic through a suppressor. Suppressor on it was my first home brew suppressor built 20+ years ago when wipes were common and will likely put a commercial can on it soon as see what I want and wait for paperwork.

The can is so stinking quiet without the single wipe that fits under the end cap only reason I would ever put a wipe in it would be finances forcing me to do mafia hits in a crowded condominium complex inside the city limits. Without the wipe there is no issue of bullet being disturbed as passes through 3/16" of medium durometer rubber. Neighbors, even if outside on their porch smoking just 75 yards from my side door never hear the rifle even when sniping ground hogs, squirel, crows and occasional coyote in their back yard. Usually coyote get anchored by a varmint grenade from a 22 Hornet and they are happy it's one less damaging the property.

Have not had time since built this rifle to do anything more than sight it in at fifty feet using my indoor range at work then using a computer generated range card to estimate my dope. First tested at 25 yards then 50 and sighted in at 75 yards for cross hairs of a Nikon ProStaff Rimfire II 4-12x40 Matte BDC 150 Riflescope. Am either going to have to swap scopes for one with more elevation adjustment or experiment with 10° and 20° risers which defeat the solid mounting of scope to the Tactical Innovations receiver with picatinny rail machined into the stainless receiver to do what I plan with this build. Want to drop the 60 grain pills down onto small vermin from more distance than normally shoot the 60 grain Aguila subsonics.

Purosely bought the 1:9 twist to spin the longer and 50% heavier than normal subsonics fast enough to stabilize in all rimfire suppressors and stay stabilized at longer distances. It's the scope had close at hand but odds are it will soon have a Leupold 6-18x heading to have a custom reticle swapped in once I totally wring it out and decide which reticle will best suit my goals. If anyone has suggestions for a reticle or even a $400ish or under scope with maybe 20x to 24x top end am listening.

Now that the rig is described will give the results of my testing yesterday. After barrel had been "broken in" a term I use loosely on a rimfire but have to knock down machining marks, sharp corners, possible burrs, etc before getting serious. I basically just ran through my 25 and 50 yard targets lobbing 50 rounds at each range with one session of "lapping" between the move from 25 to 50 yards. Generally keep a Tubb Final Finish Bore Lapping ammunition in 22 lr which includes 100 rounds of lead round nose ammo in five different grits (20 rounds per kit of each grit) and use them on some barrels but not all. They do not go down a $400 or more hand lapped custom barrel but a $200ish barrel that seems to be leading more than care for after first 50 rounds (examine every ten rounds with a bore scope) then the tube gets a half kit. Luckily (by my perspective) was able to buy ten kits from one supplier when heard were being discontinued and occasionally find another kit or two.

After that first fifty rounds of standard velocity or subsonic lead bullets (based on spring kit used to ensure reliable function though usually once get fired a bit even a factory Walmart 10/22 will run subs) examine bore and clean it. Then if decide to fire lap it gets a quarter kit which is five rounds of each grit. With a cleaning between one cleaning half way through. Then cleaned bore and ran the fifty 40 grain subs at 25 yards, fire lapped, cleaned then fired fifty rounds of 40 grain subs at 50 yards and cleaned bore again which is now "broken in" for a squirrel rifle. Shot a ten round string to establish a rough muzzle velocity of 925 fps then moved chronograph to 50 yards where had approximate muzzle velocity of 875 fps from a ten round string which is enough real numbers to set it up in Strelok Pro and make range cards.

After getting the rifle dialed in at 100 yards and having the satisfaction of a few "one ragged hole ten round groups" after first 100 rounds shot 50 rounds at 150 and 50 rounds at 200. At 150 yards it was 18" low and at 200 it was 48" low lobbing the 60 grain subsonics. This was enough data to refine my shooting App algorithms and today even though breezy used it on mix of ground hogs (both young born this spring so small and their mommas) squirrel and a few crow. At 50 yards it's 5" high and 75 yards is 4" high before falling on target at 100. Had debated ordering a 20" tube but with suppressors wanted it to not get overly long.

Don't know if these numbers will hold up for your rifle but are close to my 16" 1:9 heavy sub bullet shooter and my standard 1:12 twists that like longer distances. Have discovered a 14" 1:9 barrel can shoot as well as some high end 20" tubes with CCI Green Tags and other standard velocity target rimfire ammo. I am starting to be tempted to build a couple of 10/22 Charger pistols with match grade parts to use in areas where welding a rifle to snipe a varmint might draw more attention than want.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat

Last edited by hueyville; July 26, 2019 at 21:35.
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote