The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old May 17, 2018, 12:09   #1
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
any comments on Suzuki 850GS?

thinking about buying one. I understand that it is 4 carbs, and have read that the electrical charging system is considered the weak spot
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018, 12:24   #2
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
But for the stator, tanks.

http://www.thegsresources.com/statorpapers1.php
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018, 14:26   #3
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Great bike, I've restored 6 over the years, haven't done one in at least 15. While the shaft drive is nice and smooth, I always felt they needed one more higher gear to get the range and fuel economy they needed to be a good road bike. That said, they were too much of a gas hog for the power to weight ratio. A GS-1100 L would be my choice for a road bike, if I was going old school Suzuki. All that said, for reliability, I never had one break down and leave me stranded. Could never say that about the one Honda and one Harley I owned.
The last GS-850 L I had, was just ready to turn 23,000 miles on the odometer when I sold it. The buyer was looking for a bike for his kid, and kept the Suzi for himself. He works locally, and still has that bike, with well over 150,000 miles on it. If you pocket is deep enough, { parts hard to find } it'd be a fun old school bike to build and ride.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 03:28   #4
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
My Dad had a new one, a 1980 IIRC, that was the first street bike I road extensively. I moved out on my own in 1984 and my parents moved to AL not long after that and he sold it.

I was too young at the time to provide you any technical review, but I have nothing but fond memories of the bike even though I choose the Harley path myself shortly after that.
Old May 18, 2018, 08:02   #5
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
The carbs and the charging system are easy enough to deal with once the fundamentals of design are understood. GS resources is a great website full of good technical information for all things GS.
357ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 08:13   #6
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Hate to be the killjoy around here, but unless you're mounting twin .30 Brownings on it I think it misses the "general firearms discussion" target in this particular forum.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 09:50   #7
machinegunner
Registered

FALaholic #: 78657
I just finished restoring one. they are easy to work on and parts are cheap. if you do get one I suggest upgrading the Regulator/Rectifier from the original "shunt" type (which will inevitably cause your stator to go bad) to a sh775 series type used by Polaris. make sure to get the real thing as there are a lot of fakes out there.
machinegunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 09:56   #8
machinegunner
Registered

FALaholic #: 78657
you can find parts easily on ebay. I just read the comments and one of you said they were hard to find. mine has around 18000 on it and runs great. as someone else said the stators suck. that is not 100% true, the stators are fine, it's the R/R that sucks. it sends all of the extra electricity back to the stators causing it to overheat and fry. getting the sh775 fixes that. read the stator papers over at the gs resources. I have only broken down twice, once because the stator went bad and I ran the battery all of the way down (luckily I ended up 2 blocks from a coworkers house) and the other time I ran out of gas 2 miles from a gas station.
machinegunner is offline   Reply With Quote