The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old April 09, 2017, 12:14   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
revolver holster

I keep looking at these holsters for my Colt SAA and I need to choose something. What would you pick?

http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-9-holsters.aspx
Old April 09, 2017, 14:16   #2
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
Quite a few historical options here;

http://www.westernleatherholster.com...ical-holsters/

I've always liked the simple wet molded 'skin tight' type of holster.
The 'reverse draw' makes a lot of sense as it facilitates a quick draw from the saddle or seated at a poker table,,,

Chick Gaylord suggested shark skin as a holster lining. He said nothing was slicker but is does wear on the finish. However a pretty gun is not really a consideration for a pistoleer. And these days their are some very abrasion resistant finishes available.

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search.../chic-gaylord/

Last edited by Illurian00; April 09, 2017 at 14:22.
Illurian00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 09, 2017, 15:57   #3
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
I have a third generation SAA with the 4 3/4 inch barrel in .45 Colt. It has the color casehardened frame. I bought it NIB and every now and then I carry as my "walk in the woods" handgun. I was lucky enough to find a second hand Bianchi holster with the soft suede leather lining for the Colt. Bought it at a gun show for only $10. The suede lining protects the finish and to date the SAA still looks like the day I bought it.

I would avoid any and all fabric holsters because in my experience the fabric is prone to attracting dust and remaining in the material. This will in time begin to put wear on the finish.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 09, 2017, 17:59   #4
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
I recently ordered a couple holsters from Doc Barranti. He is an artist in leather, with eminently reasonable prices, and he recreates some classic holsters and rigs. I strongly recommend him - especially for single action revolvers.

http://www.barrantileather.com/
Old April 09, 2017, 21:59   #5
ShoGun22
Registered

FALaholic #: 79384
Barranti has some interesting stuff
ShoGun22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017, 08:04   #6
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
John Bianchi: tried and true craftsman.

http://www.frontiergunleather.com/
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017, 10:52   #7
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
I keep looking at these holsters for my Colt SAA and I need to choose something. What would you pick?

http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-9-holsters.aspx
Definitely the 120 Tom Threepersons would be my choice. That style has been a favorite for carrying anything for me.. One of the Slim Jim models would do. The less leather the better and I don't need Daffodils and Primroses stamped on them.
I'd probably choose the Sweetwater" if I wanted a old time Western looking rig.

Have always been happy with Bianchi's #1 on a Border Patrol belt and own several of them. Safariland made a similar style that worked nicely with the ramp sights of the Ruger Blackhawk. Not sure what is currently offered by these companies.

I think that El Paso Saddlery is the old S D Meyers Company and the original maker's of Tom T's original holster design.

Take a look at Calco, formally "The Jackass Leather Co.". Don't know why they ever changed the name.
I recently bought one of their TR108 holsters for a SA 44 Special and it's a good piece of leather work. Nuttin fancy.

I humbly disagree with Retired Bum about suede linings. Eventually, the suede will pick up grit and become abrasive to the gun's finish. For occasional usage in non-harsh environments, suede is OK if checked and cleaned regularly. I wouldn't think they are a good idea for geographical area's where blowing sand is a problem.

Last edited by MAINER; April 10, 2017 at 10:58.
MAINER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017, 11:00   #8
chino*74
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75409
Any good Cheyenne rig or basic Mexican loop rig will do. Pick Ur preferred style.
Old April 11, 2017, 12:11   #9
Bawana jim
Registered

So anyway I sold my full autos and looked to SAA Colts for my new fun. There are so many folks out there that know more than I do on Colts so I ask help on guns I see on GB. I was interested in one I saw but asked those who really know if the value is there. Here is a reply I got from a smart man...

"In that SNR the 45 Acp was stamped on the bbl as such not 45 COLT. The box was most likely labeled wrong and this seller swapped the 45colt cylinder for a 45acp to match the box. It's not a common configuration in all blue. But it means nothing with that barrel marking.*

Its like a Victoria Secret super model having a penis. It's rare.*
But would you want to take it home?"
Old April 11, 2017, 17:45   #10
Wecsogery
Registered

FALaholic #: 73856
I agree on the EPS Tom Threepersons. Elmer Keith was a fan of them, too. That should tell you something.
Wecsogery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017, 04:17   #11
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
Jim: EPS choices

Per your original question, I would myself choose something like the "2000" http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-88-9-20...p-holster.aspx
I like a flap holster PARTICULARLY when protecting a prized firearm out in nature. Not a quick-draw design and isnt meant to be. But when outside in bad weather, snow or taking a tumble in mud... those fancy TV-show holsters just don't cut it for me. Just sayin, YMMV!
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats
STGThndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017, 10:27   #12
Bawana jim
Registered

It's a difficult decision and a lot of factors involved. EP lines their holsters which I really like. Some of them you just can't get a good grip on the gun because the holster interferes. It's not about quick draw for me as I am old and slow but I need to get my hand on it easily when I want to draw it. Leaning toward the three person with a thong for the hammer but also like the strap.

A lot of good suggestions and I thank you guys even though you posted stuff that makes my choice harder..
Old April 16, 2017, 16:25   #13
Bawana jim
Registered

And more leather from North Carolina.

http://www.jm-leather.com/
Old April 19, 2017, 12:18   #14
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
My two favorite brands of revolver holsters are: "Simply Rugged holsters" for belt use. Their silver dollar and sourdough pancake holsters Are very well made. I get them with removable IWB loops and they conceal a revolver pretty good and the holsters are comfortable. They make the best belt I have ever owned. I forget the name but it's the widest one they make and it's also the thickest. it's at least as thick as my old sam brown duty belts, maybe thicker.

My other favorite brand is "Double D Leather", (out of Wasilla Alaska). Their Guides Choice Chest holster is outstanding. It's great for wearing while working, ridding horse, ATV's, fishing or any other activity where you need both hands free. I even wear one while cutting logs. It's not a shoulder holster it rides in front on the chest or there abouts depending on how you adjust it. Great holster for practical use in the field.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 00:06   #15
Bawana jim
Registered

I bought this one and a 3 inch moneybelt...

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-35-9-18...r-holster.aspx
Old April 20, 2017, 06:30   #16
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Hard to go wrong with EPS, they are top notch.

I hope it serves you well and you enjoy it.
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017, 17:11   #17
fal762
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 66358
Find or borrow a copy of Packing Iron: Gunleather of the Frontier West by Richard C. Rattenbury.
Many custom leather holster makers will make a copy of the holsters in this book.
fal762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2017, 22:34   #18
randyj
Registered

FALaholic #: 14923
looking and looking for a K frame model 65 bobbed hammer .357 mag-na-ported 3'' barrel like I want but a 3'' with a thumb brake that I might be able to trim the brake off. hell, its hard to find a 4''
k frame for that matter.

being the 3'' k frame .357 was the FBI gun prior to the Miami shoot out, someone has to have something laying in the used holster pile. we're talking models #10,13,14,15,64,65,66 if not more.

please drop me a pm, if you have one you no longer need
randyj is offline   Reply With Quote