The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old April 12, 2018, 19:26   #1
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
Winchester Large Rifle Primers

I was dialing in a new scope last Sunday and stopped after finding two primers in my hand loads that had black smudges all the way around the primer pocket. Checked them and found that there were pinholes in the primer cup right were the cup turns to form the base of the primer. After talking with the local range rat and RSO, I was not too happy to find out that this has been an issue with the Winchester WLR primers. He has been keeping track at the range and mine makes the 5th rifle with a damaged bolt due to the primers. He has also been keeping track of the lot numbers, lot numbers with known issues are:EHL066G EKLO71G, CLL555G, HCL506G, and DFL730G.

I have yet to contact Olins customer service, but he assured me they are well aware of the issue and will do everything they can to make things right. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Old April 12, 2018, 20:21   #2
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Now that you mention it, I had to replace a bolt on a AR that ate exclusively on handloads with Winchester primers. Small rifle primers. I will keep a closer eye on the primers in the future. I had just concluded it was due to enlarged primer pockets due to stretch....I had paid attention to those and trashed all the brass with loose pockets... up to now.... The face of the bolt was so pitted it started to show up on the brass...
Old April 12, 2018, 20:31   #3
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
This has been a known problem for many years.

Now it's a little more widely known.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018, 21:25   #4
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
Do magnum rifle primers suffer from this as well?

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

You can tell it's real because it looks so fake.
Elon Musk February 7, 2018
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018, 22:08   #5
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
I've had good luck with cci for match grade ammo and the cabelas $18/k smellier and bellot primers for cheap plinking. No reason to use winchesters
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018, 23:09   #6
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
I haven't had any trubble, but all the WIN primers I have I bought over 10 years ago.
Old April 13, 2018, 10:01   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Use use lots CCI and lean heavy on their militry primers for milspec rounds. Federal is my second most used primer and most in rotation are six to ten years old. What buy today will not come up for years to be used. In the big lot of reloading components purchased from local reloaded who died a few months ago were more Winchester primers than have ever purchased in my life period but over 10,000 of the Winchester were small pistol, rest was large pistol and will be used for cast range fodder. All of his rifle primers were Federal. Was nice getting the big windfall as not 100% recovered from Sandy Hook as kept shooting as normal plus helped others keep loading.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018, 08:48   #8
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
Picked up 1k of CCI large rifle primers on the way home from the range yesterday. Should be good to go from there.

In other news, bought some Lapua 167gr. Secnar rounds to cover me for a F class match yesterday. Dismal outcome, high winds and loads not tuned to the rifle. Biggest surprise, one round, dented primer, no bang. I guess QC is just a thought these days.

Oh, and did I mention some of the Lapua brass would not fit in a RCBS shell holder?