Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Daewoo Files

Notices

Old October 07, 2018, 09:37   #1
BM59
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 77492
Stuck Gas Plug

It looks like the previous owner of a Woo I recently bought on GB never bothered to clean the gas system. The gas plug does not budge and I cannot get the button aligned with the arrow on the gas block into removal position. I have doused it with Kroil from the inside and left it barrel down all night, tapped on it from outside , inside ...still stuck. Next would be trying with 3/16 wrench, although there is little grip because of the button ...and obviouslly risk of marring the finish. I know this is a common issue...any suggestions are welcome.
Old October 07, 2018, 11:33   #2
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
thanks for reminding me i have to take mine out

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 07, 2018, 12:17   #3
BM59
Registered
Contributor

The plug on my other Woo rotates and comes out with nearly no effort. This one is a bitch though. There is not enough room to grip it with a wrench. I wonder if there is any solvent stronger than Kroil which may do the trick.
Old October 07, 2018, 13:16   #4
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
heat?
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 07, 2018, 14:35   #5
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
so i went and took mine out, tape on channel locks jaws did it, thanks again for reminding to clean it

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2018, 16:54   #6
BM59
Registered
Contributor

tried heat, tried to tape and wrench it...nothing. Next stop, the gunsmith.
Old October 08, 2018, 18:16   #7
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Got a chest freezer?
You could try going the other way and freezing it.
I've heard tell...
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2018, 19:43   #8
Raggedwhole!
Registered

FALaholic #: 74227
Let it soak in ATF dextron 3. That stuff is pretty good at removing fouling. I have bmw synthetic atf that is amazing for removing fouling. It is basically an oil based detergent. My 2 cents.
Raggedwhole! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2018, 23:18   #9
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
PB POWER Blast works for me. I use it on frozen gas plugs as well as auto stuff. I generally try to let it soak in for a while.
PARA FN FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 02:16   #10
Tad_07
Registered

FALaholic #: 79492
try a crescent wrench and adjust down while over the plug to depress the button. I'm assuming the button will still move freely? Make small rotations back and forth with the stripped upper in the vertical position so debris can fall free. You should be able to get it freed up enough to remove.

I did see on another forum that someone had is issue like this before and the prior owner had locite on the plug...so no telling the history on yours or what bubba may have done to it. I would say take your time. Gas plugs are infinitely easier to get than the gas block.

Let us know if you get it out we maybe able to help brain storm if not.
Tad_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 03:32   #11
BM59
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad_07 View Post
try a crescent wrench and adjust down while over the plug to depress the button. I'm assuming the button will still move freely? Make small rotations back and forth with the stripped upper in the vertical position so debris can fall free. You should be able to get it freed up enough to remove.

I did see on another forum that someone had is issue like this before and the prior owner had locite on the plug...so no telling the history on yours or what bubba may have done to it. I would say take your time. Gas plugs are infinitely easier to get than the gas block.

Let us know if you get it out we maybe able to help brain storm if not.
Thank you - I saw that old thread and tried to follow the same approach but that thing does not want to budge. The button moves freely but I did not manage to rotate the plug even a little. I doubt there is any loctite on it, it looks like previous owner never bothered neither to clean nor to remove. I may try PB blaster or Dextron next. I was not able to get hold of my local gunsmiith yet (he does good work but he is totally overbooked) to get his opinion.
Old October 10, 2018, 19:22   #12
jjjxlr8
Registered

FALaholic #: 34903
Have you tried going to the range and shooting a mag quickly to get it hot from the inside and then try the wrench?
jjjxlr8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018, 13:13   #13
Tad_07
Registered

FALaholic #: 79492
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM59 View Post
Thank you - I saw that old thread and tried to follow the same approach but that thing does not want to budge. The button moves freely but I did not manage to rotate the plug even a little. I doubt there is any loctite on it, it looks like previous owner never bothered neither to clean nor to remove. I may try PB blaster or Dextron next. I was not able to get hold of my local gunsmiith yet (he does good work but he is totally overbooked) to get his opinion.
Dextron will work eventually, but you would have to have it soaked & repeatedly re-soaking for long time. PB & Kroil should only take a few days of soaking and re-soaking to free up pretty much anything. If it won't budge after that I would guess that someone messed up the plug lug(s) &/or the internal lugs...hopefully its just carbon.

A little heat [from a heat gun] + the pb or kroil should speed up the process & perhaps enhance it.
Tad_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018, 13:24   #14
BM59
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad_07 View Post
Dextron will work eventually, but you would have to have it soaked & repeatedly re-soaking for long time. PB & Kroil should only take a few days of soaking and re-soaking to free up pretty much anything. If it won't budge after that I would guess that someone messed up the plug lug(s) &/or the internal lugs...hopefully its just carbon.

A little heat [from a heat gun] + the pb or kroil should speed up the process & perhaps enhance it.
Last time I tried I had it soaking in Kroil for 12 hours...I guess I need to do it for more times and longer. I got PB Blaster yesterday - a bit cheaper than Kroil , which I can keep for bore cleaning. I already worked on it with the Heat gun, will do it again once I go through the soaking/re-soaking treatment for a few days.
Old October 11, 2018, 13:26   #15
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
This may seem obvious but I would pull out the bolt and gas piston. Then with the barrel down pour or spray a bunch of whatever penetrating fluid you are using and just let it soak like that for a few days. If you start seeing the fluid soaking through at the plug that means that the carbon is saturated and should be loose. In this situation dextron would be better than PB or Kroll because dextron won't evaporate as fast as the other two. With the other two you will have to reapply several times over a couple day period. This seems obvious but I feel the need to say it so I can feel smart.
PARA FN FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018, 13:32   #16
BM59
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARA FN FAL View Post
This may seem obvious but I would pull out the bolt and gas piston. Then with the barrel down pour or spray a bunch of whatever penetrating fluid you are using and just let it soak like that for a few days. If you start seeing the fluid soaking through at the plug that means that the carbon is saturated and should be loose. In this situation dextron would be better than PB or Kroll because dextron won't evaporate as fast as the other two. With the other two you will have to reapply several times over a couple day period. This seems obvious but I feel the need to say it so I can feel smart.
That's actually good advice - I will stick two PB but repeat the drill a few times over the weekend...
Old October 13, 2018, 21:48   #17
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
You just had to bring this up. I went down and checked mine earlier. You guessed it, locked up. An hour of soaking in Kroil loosened it up. Scrubbed and lubed that rascal and will be sure to clean from now on.
Old October 14, 2018, 17:38   #18
BM59
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACV View Post
You just had to bring this up. I went down and checked mine earlier. You guessed it, locked up. An hour of soaking in Kroil loosened it up. Scrubbed and lubed that rascal and will be sure to clean from now on.
I am glad it worked for you, I wish I could say the same. Two days of soaking in PB but still stuck.

I have little grip with any wrench (including a crescent one), as the button is in the way. I have tried to keep the release button pushed in while hitting the other end of the pin with a rubber mallet - nada.

I have now switched back to Kroil and will keep soaking it, actually the little hole just behind the gas blocks is quite convenient to drop oil in while keeping the stripped upper barrel down into a plastic container. I can see the oil dripping from the front of the plug, and while cleaning with a rug there were carbon residues.

I will keep soaking it all week, I can do little else anyway because my gunsmith is still AWOL....
Old October 18, 2018, 16:40   #19
AZ Dave
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7882
Try shooting the piss out of it and then working it over with a mallet. Apply kroil, wipe off excess and repeat. Don't force it. It'll eventually loosen up. Be patient. My buddy had this problem and it took him a month to free it up.