Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old October 08, 2018, 14:40   #1
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
Barrel maker, McGowen

I have been hunting for a 5.45x39 AR barrel and not finding anything, lack of interest for some reason. So I found McGowen here in Montana and they will make exactly what I want.
18 inch barrel
Rifle length gas port
Modified HBAR, lighter than a standard HBAR.
Some where in the $265.00 dollar range, deposit required then the rest when the barrel is finished. It is going to take two months but I will have it just in time for Christmas. Merry Christmas to me!
I have two 5.45x39 barrels with one grouping sucks ass so it is alone and unloved leaning in a dark corner. The other is mounted and groups quite well but it is only 16 inches.

The project is to build a handy little rifle with standard iron sights. I might go ahead and get a Rock River NM upper reciever just for the hell of it. Awhile back I got the bug to build National Match rifles thinking I might get into some competitive shooting. I found that barrels can be night and day as far as accuracy. My Rock River NM built rifle shoots pretty good but slightly better is one I put together using a competitors heavy barrel, just a luck of the draw maybe.
Even with my old eyes I can group 1 inch groups at 130 measured yards with irons. I need to wear readers but it works for me. Getting the front sight and the target focused is the challenge.
I like the 18 inch barrel length and prefer it over the 20 or 16 inch units. My National Match rifle’s are all heavy barrels of 20 inches and are heavy but oh so fun to shoot.
If you are looking for a custom barrel check out McGowen.

http://mcgowenbarrel.com/product-cat...refit-barrels/

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.

Last edited by Sagerider; October 08, 2018 at 14:45.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2018, 15:54   #2
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
This is a real .221 barrel, right?

I wonder how open they are to bolt gun barrels...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2018, 21:50   #3
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Wow, never thought to ask but I will tomorrow. Thanks!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Old October 09, 2018, 04:12   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
They specialize in bolt gun barrels and have a very solid reputation as a botique barrel maker/profiler. Unsure if they just profile quality blanks or make their own tube start to finish but they have been around with many dedicated customers for some time and they do make turn bolt barrels.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 06:55   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
We had a long discussion on this in the distant past, although it might have been on AK files. Lothar Walther was fine with blanks, the problem was their blanks were smaller d. than the Remington thread. But they produced them for the CZ and some other actions.

Like I said, it's been years, but the other point of interest was the twist. Many were clamoring for 1-6 for the 8" barrel 74u, although my understanding was the 1-6 didn't accomplish anything.

Anyway, consider Lothar-Walther as well.

I don't know who Curtis at AK Builder uses for his blanks, but they are nice chrome-lined barrels.
Old October 09, 2018, 12:17   #6
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Checked this morning on bore diameter.
.2215 yea!

If your in the market for a barrel give them a call and find out what they can do for you. I like the fact that they are a Montana company, support the home front and all that.

Old October 09, 2018, 13:06   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Checked my turn bolt vault and one of my Ruger M77's in 25-06 has a McGowen barrel then checked their website and shows Remington 700 barrels for sale. Have a passel of 25-06 bolt rifles and know all are sub MOA on a bad day with Walmart ammo. Like my 22-250's if don't shoot well then send to smith and/or work handload till they do and usually do both. Have always had a really soft spot for quarter bores but looks like 6.5 Creedmore is becoming my "go-to" mid range cartridge where 25-06 and 257 Roberts used to get called up from the bullpen. From 400 to 800 yards 6.5 Creedmore has significant edge and friendly recoil impulse.

With McGowen profiling AR barrels am going to have to try one but doubtfully will be in 7.62x39 unless an AR lower that accepted AK magazines fell in my lap on the cheap. Have all my custom end mills, router bits and shaper bits made by a company out of Lolo, Montana. One of my favorite states to visit due to Wind River Range and Tetons plus some fine low key rock climbing areas. If drive always take a boom stick as some wide open country and shooter friendly people.

Noticed they offer various profiles, diameters up to 0.997", fluting, in stock calibers such as 22 Nosler, 224 Valkyrie and others. Will do a variety of chambers and even non standard threads. Also offer AR 10 barrels and since have the receivers already in hand to build a pair of AR 10's in 6.5 Creedmore and are an in stock ready to ship barrel. May have to use one to compare against whoever I choose for the other build. As Gunplumber mentioned always give Lothar-Walther a look see as have fine barrels and blanks dollar for dollar compared to many other vendors. Not as open to custom orders as when Woody managed the U.S. operation but semi-custom options available in their wide choice of profiles is mind boggling.

I use a lot of Lothar 10/22 tubes and if buy a Wilson Custom barrel odds are it is profiled from a Lothar blank including their 1911 barrels. Stunned me when learned what Wilson pays for a 5" barrel. They should not be missing meals though I do understand final processing, overhead, advertising, etc. Saw McGowan offers 10/22 barrels as well so will have to try one of those as love building 10/22's. Can't believe have known of them for decades but till this thread not looked at their product since a smith recommended their barrel for my M77 25-06 upgrade. Another rabbit hole with a magic mirror at the bottom to bleed my wallet. Them folk in Montanna need to eat too.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old October 09, 2018, 17:15   #8
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
I used McGowen to re-barrel a Remington 700 in 450 bushmaster for my brother to use in the Michigan deer hunting season. It was one of their rem-age barrel types and was one of the easiest, no fuss, barrel installs I have ever done. About on par with an Ar15's Lego block construction simplicity.

During the testing phase it was shooting laser like even with Hornady factory loads. One nice shots touching hole. Needless to say, I was astounded at it's performance. With the performance and precision of McGowen's work, I'd not be afraid to use any of their products.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 18:48   #9
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

I know I have heard the name McGowen before but where or when escapes me.
It was just the luck of the google draw I found them right here in my own back yard.
I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm magnum that can use a new barrel so I may order one after I get this 5.45x39 in hand and tested. I could also use a new barrel for my Mosin Nagant, the one on it now looks like a sewer pipe.

Old October 10, 2018, 08:54   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerider View Post
I know I have heard the name McGowen before but where or when escapes me.
It was just the luck of the google draw I found them right here in my own back yard.
I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm magnum that can use a new barrel so I may order one after I get this 5.45x39 in hand and tested. I could also use a new barrel for my Mosin Nagant, the one on it now looks like a sewer pipe.
And down the rabbit hole you go. Soon will be buying rifles just as an excuse to thread a custom barrel on it. Appreciate this thread reminding me of a fairly priced quality product that had slipped to back of file system and pushed it back up to front of the companies to consider.
Old October 10, 2018, 11:55   #11
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Sort of how I ended up with a butt load of FAL rifles and a big pile of parts. What does J. Leno do with all those cars? I have no idea, itís a guy thing.
Motorcycles, same thing. At my motorcycle fever peek I had 5 bikes, 3 Ducatiís, an MV Augusta F4 and 1 Suzuki GSXR 600. Thousands of dollars in pieces and parts improving perfection to immortal status. Not even the thousands spent on tires, track days, an enclosed trailer to haul them around with and riding schools.
I am down 1 999r Ducati, down the MV Augusta I traded off to get my 1995 Ducati 916 back. I was going to kill myself on the MV so it had to go. Right in the neighborhood of 186 hp and 86 foot pounds of torque. It is a motorcycle monster! So easy to go fast and too fast for me on the street. Handles like the perverbial dream and the closer you looked at it the better it looked. Every weld was perfection on itís tubular steal frame with every part fitted like a Swiss watch. I miss it but I like being alive, a lot.
So now I am down to 2 identical Ducati 1098s and one pristine 1995 Ducati 916. One of the 1098s has less than 600 miles on it, my back up track bike that was never needed.
The same with FAL rifles. Huge fun and learning experience. After my first Argy they just kept multiplying. Except for the Coonan receivers all NOS part kits.
Yes, it really is possible to have nice things.

Old October 10, 2018, 17:33   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I refuse to ride sport bikes anymore, decided that when running a liter bike full out down a straight before time to start braking into the next turn and a lady in a Cadillac backed out of her driveway taking most of both lanes and to this day have no idea how I managed to get around the rear bumper with the little available pavement. Not been on one sense even when a guy offered to let me take his highly customized and upgraded Hiabusa for a ride saying if I wrecked it it was his fault for letting me ride it not to worry.

Now have five Harleys between wife and myself, a 1988 Evo on the lift in middle of a restoration and at least five basket case bikes behind it. Am considering selling a bunch of parts when people begin their winter restoration projects when the weather turns to bad to ride up north. Now just putt around with the flow of traffic and leave the house assuming every vehicle with four or more wheels left that morning with the intention of hitting my bike. Like steam engines and hotrods, wrestling a frame in the lift without scratching or setting a motor in the frame is too much on back so the '88 will likely be the last resto. Have a 48, 58 and 78 and plan was a 68 plus a 98 to follow the 88 but don't have the heart for more and storage is a bigger issues than guns.

Last edited by hueyville; October 11, 2018 at 09:33. Reason: fix year model date mistyped.
Old October 10, 2018, 20:07   #13
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

I always wanted an old school bobber.