Notices

Old July 23, 2018, 15:03   #1
Atla
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79587
Revolver Calluses

Got stumped on a line in my book.

What calluses would a man developed if he practiced regularly with a revolver.

In this particular case, it's with an 1877 Colt Double Action Lightening in .38.

(I'm a Glock guy, don't judge me...)
Old July 23, 2018, 16:06   #2
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atla View Post
Got stumped on a line in my book.

What calluses would a man developed if he practiced regularly with a revolver.

In this particular case, it's with an 1877 Colt Double Action Lightening in .38.

(I'm a Glock guy, don't judge me...)
Lightening wouldn't last long enough to get calluses shooting it but maybe fixing it constantly.
Old July 23, 2018, 16:23   #3
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Lightening wouldn't last long enough to get calluses shooting it but maybe fixing it constantly.
Mine has lasted since 1876. Serial number 4xxx
Old July 23, 2018, 17:00   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Mine has lasted since 1876. Serial number 4xxx
Ever shoot it?
Old July 23, 2018, 17:31   #5
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Underside of the tip of the index finger is one place.
Old July 23, 2018, 23:30   #6
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
I shot competitively on a Military Combat Shooting Team for about 5 years, including pistol (m9, not revolvers), M16s,and Sniper Rifles (M24). Literally THOUSANDS of rounds through all of them every month (Uncle Sam was paying me, and paying for the ammo).
I'm sure you realize I was shooting a lot before being selected for the team.
Neither I, nor any other shooter, ever developed callouses. There were a few "scope cuts" as a result of shooters putting their head too far forward.

I suspect you intend to use the callouses as a way that the character is identified, either as a gunman, or maybe a unique mark that he alone possesses.
May I suggest making his shooting hand scarred with powder burns (black powder cartridges and a loose barrel/cylinder gap causes it) instead of callouses? It's more realistic, and it wouldn't take nearly as long to develop; a few years would be enough to permanently mark him. (Once,while shooting a Flintlock Rifle, I put my left hand too far rearward on the forearm; when I fired, the powder in the pan burned the crap out of my pinkie and ring fingers,and I got a nasty burn that produced blisters.)
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018, 23:45   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

Can't imagine anyone with their booger hook on the trigger so much it makes a callous.
Old July 24, 2018, 09:47   #8
bykerhd
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2798
How about callouses on the eardrums ?

Too thick to hear through anymore ?

I did bruise my palm with a .460 S&W one time but that may have been a "grip" issue as later trips with that beast did no damage.
bykerhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018, 11:54   #9
Atla
Registered
Contributor

Thanks guys.

John Ross's Unintended Consequences came to mind, when it's mentioned that Michael Bowman had to have his calluses trimmed every so often from shooting so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
I suspect you intend to use the callouses as a way that the character is identified, either as a gunman, or maybe a unique mark that he alone possesses.
May I suggest making his shooting hand scarred with powder burns (black powder cartridges and a loose barrel/cylinder gap causes it) instead of callouses? It's more realistic, and it wouldn't take nearly as long to develop; a few years would be enough to permanently mark him. (Once,while shooting a Flintlock Rifle, I put my left hand too far rearward on the forearm; when I fired, the powder in the pan burned the crap out of my pinkie and ring fingers,and I got a nasty burn that produced blisters.)
You guess pretty close. It's mostly just a passing observation on John Wesley Hardin.

I like the notion of scarred shooting hand, except the time frame is 1885. So I'd suspect many a character would have that.
Old July 24, 2018, 14:03   #10
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Thanks guys.

John Ross's Unintended Consequences came to mind, when it's mentioned that Michael Bowman had to have his calluses trimmed every so often from shooting so much.

Correction: Henry Bowman, and he is exactly what I thought of, too.

Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018, 23:55   #11
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
If it's a scar to identify one particular person, consider that, in that rime frame, many cap&ball revolvers were still in daily usage. They can, and have, exploded in shooters' hands (due to fire leaking from the chamber under the hammer leaking to the other chambers); while this is (according to shooters who have had this happen with modern repros) not a crippling injury, many do have minor injuries. Maybe your guy, as a kid, shot a poor quality Confederate pistol, with the result being worse than the above? Just an idea.
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 08:40   #12
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Maybe the calluses are to imply the shooter fans the hammer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanning_(firearms)) a lot?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 08:58   #13
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Ever shoot it?
Yes, sort of. Exactly 6 shots of handloads a friend made up for it, over 30 years ago
Old July 27, 2018, 09:26   #14
Atla
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Maybe the calluses are to imply the shooter fans the hammer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanning_(firearms)) a lot?
I considered fanning, but I wanted to lean more towards practicality.

Sure, my book is 'Jurassic Park meets Magnificent Seven meets Planet of the Apes'... but it would drive me nuts to make the guns and shooting unrealistic.

Old July 27, 2018, 09:41   #15
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
FWIW - Back in the early '80s I was active in a local fast draw club. "Fanning". (at least the way I was taught and did it) was not actually fanning the hammer with your left hand like seen in the movies, but shoving the revolver forward toward the target under your locked and stationary left hand.

Rounding off the sharp, front corners on the hammer is certainly highly recommended, but I did it thousands of times and never got a callus from it. YMMV.
Old July 27, 2018, 10:13   #16
Atla
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
FWIW - Back in the early '80s I was active in a local fast draw club. "Fanning". (at least the way I was taught and did it) was not actually fanning the hammer with your left hand like seen in the movies, but shoving the revolver forward toward the target under your locked and stationary left hand.

Rounding off the sharp, front corners on the hammer is certainly highly recommended, but I did it thousands of times and never got a callus from it. YMMV.
I've seen some videos of this on youtube. Something to definitely take into consideration.
Old July 27, 2018, 11:06   #17
Bawana jim
Registered

I think if I was going to write up a visual description of a gunman it would be that his gun hand has grown to the gun and his trigger finger in a constant reach for its home. Without a gun in his hand the finger still reaches, like a hook to hang onto the death it sends. As he reaches to shake hands the trigger finger comes first and the rest of the hand in a constant fix like holding a gun.
Old July 27, 2018, 11:08   #18
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Yes, sort of. Exactly 6 shots of handloads a friend made up for it, over 30 years ago
Good for you, a piece of history like that still working is rare indeed.
Old August 02, 2018, 09:08   #19
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:

Sure, my book is 'Jurassic Park meets Magnificent Seven meets Planet of the Apes'... but it would drive me nuts to make the guns and shooting unrealistic.

I get the feeling that those like me that loved Stephen King's Dark Tower series might appreciate your work.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 02, 2018, 23:34   #20
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

What about:

- having an arm more developed than the other indicating a gatling gun "operator"? You know, like spear throwers.

- smudges/wear on the fingers due to all the reloading of metallic cartridges and lead bullets? And cleaning firearm. Maybe all the rubbing on the loading gate (if that kind of revolver) would wear the hand some. Bonus for the non-matching barrels (thinking Colts 1860 converted to metallics) because previous barrels were worn off.

Might have some health issues because eating after handling lead?

- Calluses on the booger finger for people who shoot lever guns a lot? Also cuts/calluses/wear due to lots of reloading.

- Maybe if the bloke fast draws (assuming that is a valid defensive/offensive tactic) a lot, gloves worn off with all the rubbing. And maybe reinforced to help keep steady.

- Breathing problems due to inhaling all that crap. Probably more on the gatling shooters.

- Back problems due to carrying lots of revolvers for NY/pirate reloading. Aaargh!
Old August 06, 2018, 12:28   #21
Atla
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
What about:

- having an arm more developed than the other indicating a gatling gun "operator"? You know, like spear throwers.

- smudges/wear on the fingers due to all the reloading of metallic cartridges and lead bullets? And cleaning firearm. Maybe all the rubbing on the loading gate (if that kind of revolver) would wear the hand some. Bonus for the non-matching barrels (thinking Colts 1860 converted to metallics) because previous barrels were worn off.

Might have some health issues because eating after handling lead?

- Calluses on the booger finger for people who shoot lever guns a lot? Also cuts/calluses/wear due to lots of reloading.

- Maybe if the bloke fast draws (assuming that is a valid defensive/offensive tactic) a lot, gloves worn off with all the rubbing. And maybe reinforced to help keep steady.

- Breathing problems due to inhaling all that crap. Probably more on the gatling shooters.

- Back problems due to carrying lots of revolvers for NY/pirate reloading. Aaargh!
Good ideas, I need to take these into consideration.
Old August 06, 2018, 12:40   #22
Atla
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
I get the feeling that those like me that loved Stephen King's Dark Tower series might appreciate your work.
Honestly, I tried to read the first one and was so confused I stopped. But I did enjoy the trailer, very much. Sadly I heard it wasn't any good? I guess I'll catch it when it hits Netflix or Amazon Prime!

My Rough Draft is finished, hell, more like the 12th rough draft or something.

Writing is like shooting, time on the keyboard is the same as time behind a trigger. I'm leagues past where I started a year ago. I jokingly put an 'excerpt' on my site where I red-shirted a co-worker. Reading it now makes me cringe. But writing over 100,000 words, and deleting tens of thousands of words during re-writes, makes me better.

So far the feedback from Beta Readers has been fantastic, and they are mostly people I don't know, so they can be total dicks with their honesty. That has helped immensely.

And according to my math, I am roughly 32.35% through polishing the Final Draft. I say roughly, because it is numerous mini-rewrites in itself and can have drastic changes on the page count.
Old August 06, 2018, 15:12   #23
Bawana jim
Registered

Might help and then it may not. If I wanted to write a story about gunmen then I would study some of the famous ones and write in what they did. Ever read about Jelly Bryce?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=jelly+...FORM=QBLH&sp=3
Old August 07, 2018, 22:42   #24
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
And according to my math, I am roughly 32.35% through polishing the Final Draft. I say roughly, because it is numerous mini-rewrites in itself and can have drastic changes on the page count.
Did you already included the naked chick that will show up running across the scene for absolutely no reason? If not, your draft is not complete
Old August 08, 2018, 07:52   #25
Atla
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Might help and then it may not. If I wanted to write a story about gunmen then I would study some of the famous ones and write in what they did. Ever read about Jelly Bryce?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=jelly+...FORM=QBLH&sp=3
How have I never heard of this guy before?!

https://www.policeone.com/police-his...nfighter-ever/
Old August 08, 2018, 07:54   #26
Atla
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Did you already included the naked chick that will show up running across the scene for absolutely no reason? If not, your draft is not complete
The hardest balance is writing how the story needs to be, and writing something teenage kids can read.

So no, no naked chicks running around.

LOL.
Old August 08, 2018, 09:03   #27
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
How have I never heard of this guy before?!

https://www.policeone.com/police-his...nfighter-ever/
Guys like him were real cops and real heros, there are so many good stories out there about men like him. Bill Jordan of the Border Patrol is another fast gun that deserves a look and if anyone had a callous on his trigger finger it would be Jordan.

None of my hero's wear spandex
Old August 09, 2018, 07:36   #28
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

Oklahoma Territory Sheriff James Thompson has a colourful life (look at his wikipedia entry later):
https://web.archive.org/web/20160530...le-mauser-c96/

From the article, that sheriff carried a Mauser C96. So while the pistol (1900 imported between 1897 and 1905) is not approved for SAA action shooting (whereas the 1911 is), it was in use in the late 1800 by at least one proper Old West Sheriff.

Last edited by raubvogel; August 09, 2018 at 11:26.
Old August 14, 2018, 12:30   #29
Atla
Registered
Contributor

Heh.

One of my Beta Readers told me, “Kind of like reading Louis L’Amour, but with dinosaurs.”

Is there higher praise? I don't think so!