The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Politics

Notices

Old November 09, 2018, 12:06   #51
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
I've never used pot in my life.
I say I drink less th a 6x \year, but recently I was asked in a medical screening when the last time I drank was.... And I cannot remember (way less than 6x)

I DO get narcotics from my drug dealers at the the VA.
(I'm waiting right now for them to kick in so I can spend 15 minutes cutting firewood. I will then spend 15-30 minutes sitting down till I can do it again. I can do This a couple times a day.)

Over the summer at the recommendation of my doctor I started using CBD oil.

It DEFINITELY helps, and is like the chance to try pot vs the drugs Uncle Sam pushes on me which I know is killing my internal organs.
(Like others, I won't till it's federally legal.)

Follow the money honey. You can't make money off a weed that grows next to the tomatoes vs the toxins made in a lab.
Old November 09, 2018, 12:34   #52
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Neighbor has huge pain problems from injuries he suffered in military. Since its legal here he uses CBD that he makes himself because it's half the cost of the pot stores CBD. Disabled vet and lives on disability pay so money is tight. VA treated him for years and never helped him, now he is doing better. Not pain free but good enough he still fights for life.
Old November 09, 2018, 13:51   #53
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
Exactly. In the example I gave above, I doubt anyone will ever invest in that guy again. His business rep is gone. And I agree that alcohol is bad too.

ETA: I've seen quite a few people move from pot to heroin. You can't say that doesn't happen. I've witnessed it. Also, most of the people I know that smoke pot also pop pills. The two go hand in hand. Pills aren't mentioned much, but they're abused more than anything.
Well my opinion, there is a great deal of bullshit made up crap regarding weed.

For example I agree with you that some people will end up using stronger drugs after trying Pot
Thing is though most folks had already been using alcohol well before they got into the dope scene.

My belief is some folks are just wired that way
You are not going to change what they are
I just roll my eyes over the spate of anti Opiate commercials
yeah, you get medicated you might end up an addict crap
maybe true but very few folks do

it's actually a very small minority and again they seem internally wired toward addiction.
What bothers me about the whole drug argument is similar to the gun debate
Just because a small minority are **** ups the answer is always restrictions focused on limiting access and responsible use.

One of my Doctor friends shakes his head
as he tells it, there is no Opiod "epidemic"
as he points out it's simply a case of a growing older population that accounts for the enormous growth of pain management.
Media takes sales statistics and screams we have this huge problem with abuse

Did you know Codiene is over the counter in Canada ?
low dosage always has been
You can even buy up to a 100 count bottle and bring it back to America lawfully.

Should be the same in America
instead you need a permission slip from the Doctor to medicate responsibly.
most of this is a money grab.
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 15:48   #54
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
I got a chuckle out of this. People are trying to get Jesus on the pot bandwagon, claiming he used cannabis oil to heal people.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/11/09/cannabis-oil/
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 16:02   #55
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Possession in any form is still violation of federal criminal law.

Official position of ATF is that any use whatsoever, including by-prescription, disqualifies the user from purchase or possession of firearms.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4473-marijuana.jpg (146.5 KB, 11 views)

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 16:23   #56
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

Official position of ATF is that any use whatsoever, including by-prescription, disqualifies the user from purchase or possession of firearms.

Kept saying this when Oregon went legal for weed.

Lots of folks just don't seem to get this

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 16:37   #57
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Quote:

anybody dumb enough to answer "yes" to that question really shouldn't be owning a firearm anyway.
Old November 09, 2018, 16:40   #58
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:

On a similar note, look at the next line (F) and consider how many people you see or even may know who have been "clever" enough to get a "prescription" to allow them to take their "service animal" everywhere. If you can't go to the store or get on an airplane without your fuggen dog, then you are most certainly "mentally defective" and should not have a firearm.
My two cents.

Old November 09, 2018, 16:54   #59
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:

Not totally accurate
Some folks are under limited Federally excused studies and are under exempted prescriptions.
Like I stated, this is extremely limited

Didja' know the Feds have actually maintained a grow operation to supply that market since the 1970s ?
One of my Cousins was on it when he was dying of Cancer and being treated at Mayo

Bear in mind as well if you are abusing even lawful prescription meds you lose RKBA eligibility.
an example would be you have a prescription for Percodan and you are shooting your pills up in a needle

You are under a prescription that states no mixing with alcohol, same deal if you have a beer.

Most really don't seem to understand this nuance.
ATF declared may years ago if you are a doper you have to stay clean for a full year before RKBA returns. Pretty sure that regulation goes back to the 80s
Anyways it was little enforced until Dumbya was elected.

There was a number of people convicted in the Upper Midwest in the 8th Circuit over this starting in the early 2000s.
Classic was an 18 year old in Iowa who was snagged on a couple grams of his home grown dirt weed. Months later he bough a Swede Mauser & was ratted out by the FFL
Kid did close to three years in Federal prison

Good kid, no previous record
he was offered a probation plea
his family decided to fight it & lost

Knew the Grandad, a WWII vet from Iowa gun shows.
Old guy was needless to say just pissed
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 17:22   #60
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Well crap what hell is there do now on a Saturday night? Can’t straighten your old lady’s ass up either.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 17:39   #61
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Well now, some urges are just harder to control than others!
It has been a BONE of contention for ages it has been, a real push/pull debate with many ups and downs!

At least the folks in Nevada got their heads screwed on properly, voted into office the dead pimp of Bunny Ranch fame there.

Just goes to show, ya can't keep a good rock solid hard man down even in death.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 18:01   #62
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
It has been a BONE of contention for ages it has been, a real push/pull debate with many ups and downs!

At least the folks in Nevada got their heads screwed on properly, voted into office the dead pimp of Bunny Ranch fame there.

Just goes to show, ya can't keep a good rock solid hard man down even in death.
Man, you are punny!

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018, 20:07   #63
Grizz44
Registered

FALaholic #: 79236
Quote:

Chill out and smoke a bowl. They already are trying this in Pa. The state police want a list of everyone who has a medical marijuana card. Gee access to medical records for weapons confiscation. Sound familiar. They were trying it a few years back for Vets. To see if you had PTSD. I know some local cops that smoke it. But knowing and proving are two different stories. Especially when nothing ever comes of it.
Grizz44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018, 20:23   #64
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz44 View Post
Chill out and smoke a bowl. They already are trying this in Pa. The state police want a list of everyone who has a medical marijuana card. Gee access to medical records for weapons confiscation. Sound familiar. They were trying it a few years back for Vets. To see if you had PTSD. I know some local cops that smoke it. But knowing and proving are two different stories. Especially when nothing ever comes of it.
Not a lot of good comes out of Pennsyltucky or Virgina these days

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018, 21:08   #65
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:

Proving you are addicted might be more than its worth but there is a trail they can follow. Pot stores you have to show ID to buy the pot, they can track how much you buy in the stores if they really want to go after you. I have no idea how much you would have to consume or how often you have to use it for it to be considered an "addiction".

There is a huge grow your own group in Oregon, it obvious by how crummy folks drive here.
Old November 10, 2018, 21:34   #66
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
There is a huge grow your own group in Oregon, it obvious by how crummy folks drive here.
And it seems that the whole damn state smells like skunk.

Old November 10, 2018, 23:14   #67
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmike View Post
And it seems that the whole damn state smells like skunk.
True but it takes us people who don't use it that realize the smell. Some of those guys driving down the road vape that crap and a huge cloud comes out of their rig. I like the pain med side of pot but the pot heads drive me crazy.
Old November 10, 2018, 23:43   #68
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
There is no comparison between alcohol & Cannabis....alcohol is a much more dangerous drug by far. Alcohol {long term heavy use} will destroy a person..kill your liver, impeded appetite., critical defeciencies in B12 as well as general malnutrition, liver cirrhosis., ascites, sensory impairments, memory loss, hypertension, gastro-intestinal bleeding, ulcers, strokes. Additionally: Delirium tremors & sezures are common when alcoholics try to quit on their own...

I have worked in health care for over 20 years mostly in acute care hospitals. I see alcoholics almost daily as patients & I am talking probably 20 percent of my weekly caseload. I have one homeless alcoholic that actually went to walgreens & bought mouth wash to drink because it has alcohol in it & it's cheaper, so he drinks 2 bottles of mouth wash...

Another factor that most people do not realize is that patients with psychiatric issues such as schizophrenia usually are not compliant with their medication due to the side effects. Psychotropic drugs traditionally have some not pleasant side effects..lethargy / fatigue / feeling like a zombie....a lot of these people are non-compliant & prefer to self medicate & it's usually alcohol. Also people that cannot afford meds., have no insurance etc. self medicate a lot, especially chronic pain patients, alcohol plays into this as well.

Anyone that is a drug or sunstance addict that cannot get their preferred drug will at times fall back on alcohol simply because it's what they have as a substitute.

There are a lot of factors involved in what makes someone an 'addict' or dependent on any particular drug.

Over my entire healthcare career I have seen exactly zero patents admitted due to pot smoking...

Last edited by chino*74; November 10, 2018 at 23:58.
chino*74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 00:11   #69
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by chino*74 View Post

Over my entire healthcare career I have seen exactly zero patents admitted due to pot smoking...

But you do see them after they've moved up.

My bet would be that a lot of those people that drank so much they screwed themselves up and ended up in the hospital also consumed other products. An addict doesn't have partitions. They don't say "Oh I only smoke pot, or only pop pills, I'll never touch a drop of booze". The bars are full of people getting drunk and also taking drugs.

Edit: As a matter of debate, it's the mix of alcohol and certain drugs that accelerate organ failures.

Last edited by Right Side Up; Yesterday at 00:41.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:27   #70
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
There is no comparison between alcohol & Cannabis....alcohol is a much more dangerous drug by far. Alcohol {long term heavy use} will destroy a person..kill your liver, impeded appetite., critical defeciencies in B12 as well as general malnutrition, liver cirrhosis., ascites, sensory impairments, memory loss, hypertension, gastro-intestinal bleeding, ulcers, strokes. Additionally: Delirium tremors & sezures are common when alcoholics try to quit on their own...

I have worked in health care for over 20 years mostly in acute care hospitals. I see alcoholics almost daily as patients & I am talking probably 20 percent of my weekly caseload. I have one homeless alcoholic that actually went to walgreens & bought mouth wash to drink because it has alcohol in it & it's cheaper, so he drinks 2 bottles of mouth wash...

Another factor that most people do not realize is that patients with psychiatric issues such as schizophrenia usually are not compliant with their medication due to the side effects. Psychotropic drugs traditionally have some not pleasant side effects..lethargy / fatigue / feeling like a zombie....a lot of these people are non-compliant & prefer to self medicate & it's usually alcohol. Also people that cannot afford meds., have no insurance etc. self medicate a lot, especially chronic pain patients, alcohol plays into this as well.

Anyone that is a drug or sunstance addict that cannot get their preferred drug will at times fall back on alcohol simply because it's what they have as a substitute.

There are a lot of factors involved in what makes someone an 'addict' or dependent on any particular drug.

Yes I have seen people drink themselves to death. Alcohol is more poisonous to our bodies than weed. I really don't care if someone wants to smoke (or drink) as long as they don't put others at risk with their behavior.

As far as your closing comment. Since legalization in Oregon has occurred there has been a dramatic uptick in ER visits for Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome secondary to cannabis use. It does come with some health risk but certainly not as bad as ETOH.

With legalization in Oregon we have seen a few other issues. An increase of a younger homeless crowd, they hitchhike into the state for the cheap, legal weed to party on. Have talked with a few of them...they live off of what they can scrounge, steal or beg ("just gonna fly a sign to get enough to score a few grams"). There are also what some are calling "trimsiants". These are the professional bud harvesters and trimmers that live on the streets and travel from grow operation to grow operation.

It isn't a simple issue and yes I did and still do support legalization even though I have no desire to use. It has driven the price down and taken the profit out of most illegal grows in the northwest. Let's not pretend that it is problem free though.

Old Yesterday, 09:38   #71
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
I agree pot is not problem free. I get the accidental ingestion risks especially with eatable pot. Also seen dogs eat pot left sitting around., stuff happens.
Old Yesterday, 09:57   #72
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Also seen dogs eat pot left sitting around., stuff happens.
Old Yesterday, 10:05   #73
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Quote:

yes it is

there is already problems in the workplace related to its use

many companies cannot afford liability insurance if they allow users in their workforce

alcohol and opiate abuse are a huge problem already and really; do you want to work somewhere where there are a bunch of employees stoned (?) out of their minds ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Not a lot of good comes out of Pennsyltucky or Virgina these days
I see it everyday, here in PA we have been invaded by left-libtards from NY, NJ, CT, MD & VA for more than 30 years

they flee the ultra heavy tax burden from their home state then turn around and want the same stupid shit here

WTF !!!

proper medical use of the non-eutrophic high portion of weed can be useful for certain issues and probably many can benefit from it

but we come back to looking at the “wake & bake crowd” and just like alcoholics and opiate abusers they are the biggest part of the problem

the biggest question is how to separate ALL abusers from legal legitimate use
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote